TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
RickStrobel

Revolution 11/12/12 "Ties That Bind"

What the heck was that facility Grace was in? I counted 5 red Xs that represented the pendants. Wasn't there supposed to be 12? Wonder where the other 7 are.
RickStrobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
jlb
NCC-1701-D

At first it looked like a warp nacelle..... But it almost had a look of a silo. Perhaps the rebels are going to also try and build a missle and have a little standoff with the Monroe Republic when Juliette finishes hers....

I know Elizabeth Mitchell is a bombshell but what is it with her and bombs and missiles in her shows......
Old 11-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
At first it looked like a warp nacelle..... But it almost had a look of a silo.
Looked to me like a particle accelerator (a small-scale LHC)...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

At first, I was going to comment that the Monroe Republic's rank and file are graduates of the Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy, but in the end, it's plausible that they missed on purpose so they could end up getting the amulet.

As to "where are the other amulets," did they ever say that all 12 had to be in the USA? If the phenomenon is worldwide (and presumably it is - otherwise somebody would have been able to at least sail here from Europe by now), why can't the amulets be, as well?

HOUSE LIGHTBULB MOMENT
How come nobody has managed to cross the Atlantic in a helium balloon? AFAIK, you don't need electricity for one of those, and it has been done.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStrobel View Post
What the heck was that facility Grace was in? I counted 5 red Xs that represented the pendants. Wasn't there supposed to be 12? Wonder where the other 7 are.
There were 7 amulets shown on that map. Aaron's was listed as "Active" in the window in the lower left corner of the screen, and also as "Model C" while all the others listed were "Inactive" and "Model A or Model B". I would guess the other 5 are in other parts of the world not shown on that computer screen. A screen capture is below.

I think that facility is the full size version of whatever "amplifier" Rachel is building for Monroe. Perhaps the big "cliffhanger" for the end of this season is the power will get turned back on?

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Revolution Still.jpg (48.7 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by mrdbdigital : 11-13-2012 at 01:12 PM.
mrdbdigital is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
....HOUSE LIGHTBULB MOMENT
How come nobody has managed to cross the Atlantic in a helium balloon? AFAIK, you don't need electricity for one of those, and it has been done.
because that would be very risky and a waste of resources. No reward
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

Really?
No one is commenting on the fact that Nora couldn't be bothered to tell Miles that Sgt. Psycho had the amulet until after he had already run off?

That would have at least given Miles a chance to retrieve it.

That one set off my "Stupid" meter.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Really?
No one is commenting on the fact that Nora couldn't be bothered to tell Miles that Sgt. Psycho had the amulet until after he had already run off?

That would have at least given Miles a chance to retrieve it.

That one set off my "Stupid" meter.
That would interfere with the plot.

Dave
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
So....is ANYBODY vaguely related to ANYBODY who has lines in the show actually dead as a casualty of the blackout? Because it seems the survival rate for friends/relatives of main characters is very significantly higher than the credits imply for the rest of society. So far, Nora's mom (and maybe dad) are dead......ANYONE else??

I swear it looked like Grace and Randall were in a brewery. Is she a captive a la Juliette or is she working with Randall? I thought the former before, but this episode makes it look like the latter. Also, what the heck was Juliette working on? From what we've seen, it really looked like her greatest involvement with the Non-Broadcast Energy Wave Transmission (NEWT) project was to sleep with the lead inventor. They haven't establishlished that she had any significant tech knowledge and she wasn't included in the demonstration like everyone else with intimate knowledge of it was.

Why didn't Nora and her sister stay in Texas? The map strongly implies that it has better structure than Monroe's "Republic".

Side note: my daughter lost her glasses last week doing exactly what Google Boy did with his glasses prior to jumping in the river (sticking them in an unsecured pocket). Hers fell from her pocket just walking to class, so I am skeptical that his would stay securely in the pocket after that large a jump *and* swimming.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
The other possibility is that Grace and Randall are in the boarding area for Space Mountain and it has been repainted since the blackout.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #11
Cearbhaill
I was provoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
Side note: my daughter lost her glasses last week doing exactly what Google Boy did with his glasses prior to jumping in the river (sticking them in an unsecured pocket). Hers fell from her pocket just walking to class, so I am skeptical that his would stay securely in the pocket after that large a jump *and* swimming.
When he did that I exclaimed to husband "He didn't even snap the snap shut on that pocket!"
Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #12
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

my favorite dialogue was in one of the flashbacks...

Sister:"are we all gonna die?"
Nora:" what makes you say that?!"
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
plateau10

I'm pretty psyched about the Led Zeppelin music next week
plateau10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
laria
Librocubicularist

That was just bizarre... "Revolution featuring the music of Led Zeppelin".
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #15
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I swear it looked like Grace and Randall were in a brewery. Is she a captive a la Juliette or is she working with Randall? I thought the former before, but this episode makes it look like the latter. Also, what the heck was Juliette working on? From what we've seen, it really looked like her greatest involvement with the Non-Broadcast Energy Wave Transmission (NEWT) project was to sleep with the lead inventor. They haven't establishlished that she had any significant tech knowledge and she wasn't included in the demonstration like everyone else with intimate knowledge of it was.
They've made it pretty clear that Grace is a captive of Randall, just like Rachel is a captive of Monroe.

The fact that Rachel is drawing diagrams, as is Grace, would indicate to me that she is involved in the theory and design of the project, not to mention that she was explaining it to Monroe in an earlier episode. The preview for next week also shows Rachel building hardware.

Dave
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #16
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

They did strongly imply that Rachel was involved with the tech and not just "sleeping with the inventor" in prior episodes.

I watched with three others and we were all confused by the last few seconds. It seemed like they were intending to show some sort of crazy important reveal at the end when they panned out from Grace but it just looked like a bunch of pipes and metal to us. Were we supposed to recognize anything there?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
robojerk

I was cracking up at the Led Zeppelin songs for next week? Is this Glee? Will Miles choose Charlie to sing a duet with him, or will it be Nora? Mahup?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I was cracking up at the Led Zeppelin songs for next week? Is this Glee? Will Miles choose Charlie to sing a duet with him, or will it be Nora? Mahup?
Aaron?

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #19
lodica1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
That was just bizarre... "Revolution featuring the music of Led Zeppelin".
I agree, totally out there. I am assuming that means there will be power next episode so they can play whatever Zeppelin music they will be featuring?

I can't imagine Led Zeppelin is an acoustic cover-band 15 years from now.

Just bizarre.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan View Post
Aaron?

I'm only in if Aaron cross-dresses to properly express his stage self.

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #21
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodica1967 View Post
I agree, totally out there. I am assuming that means there will be power next episode so they can play whatever Zeppelin music they will be featuring?
Yeah....um....they've made mention of how much everyone misses music.

Last I looked, pianos and a wide assortment of string instruments were in no way electrically powered. You'd think at least ONE person in a stable setting would have the luxury of an instrument. Pa Ingalls had a violin in the wilds forests of Wisconsin.

(I'd LOVE to see a string quartet arrangement of Led Zepplin. )

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #22
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
When he did that I exclaimed to husband "He didn't even snap the snap shut on that pocket!"
I saw it and assumed velcro pockets since I have several sets of camo style pants that are all velcro.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #23
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Yeah....um....they've made mention of how much everyone misses music.

Last I looked, pianos and a wide assortment of string instruments were in no way electrically powered. You'd think at least ONE person in a stable setting would have the luxury of an instrument. Pa Ingalls had a violin in the wilds forests of Wisconsin.

(I'd LOVE to see a string quartet arrangement of Led Zepplin. )
Maybe they had to dismantle their violins to make their bows and arrows.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #24
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I saw it and assumed velcro pockets since I have several sets of camo style pants that are all velcro.
Except you can see the flap flapping loose immediately after he puts the glasses in. I just wanted to slap his wrist and scold him for being so sloppy!

(My daughter's glasses were found on the floor near the front of the classroom. She'd taken them off because it was raining.)

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
I don't know about pianos, but I was under the impression that violin strings had a "shelf life" of some sort.

Also, the last time I looked, string instruments are made of wood, so I would guess it got to a point where a lot people had to choose between doing without violin music or doing without fuel for the fire.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I think they were more talking about people not being able to listen to recordings anymore and it significantly impacted the music scene. "Popular" music basically ceased to exist if it couldn't be performed without electricity to power the electric guitars, keyboards, microphones, and MP3s/CDs/radios to play them on. The way society looks like it's running, there appears to be little chance to have something like an orchestra concert while not being able to put food on your plate.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
I don't know about pianos, but I was under the impression that violin strings had a "shelf life" of some sort.

Also, the last time I looked, string instruments are made of wood, so I would guess it got to a point where a lot people had to choose between doing without violin music or doing without fuel for the fire.

Um.....how many trees have they walked past on the show? How many wooden benches have they sat on and abandoned wood-sided houses have they wandered through? If the Midwest isn't completely deforested yet, it seems a little hasty to start bonfires of stringed instruments.

As for "shelf life" of strings, enh.....for absolute best ability to hold a tone, yeah you kinda want fresh strings kept under correct tension until they wear out. The strings on my violin are....eeeek!--probably 20 years old right now and there's no compelling reason to replace them as long as they aren't broken.

If it's a supply issue, good quality strings are made from gut (it's called catgut but I've never seen any evidence that it's ACTUALLY made from cat) with a fine metal strip wrapped around them. Some strings are solid metal (steel). In a pinch, you could probably make dried gut strings pretty easily and forego the metal casing. It wouldn't sound AS good, but it would be passable.

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #28
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
The way society looks like it's running, there appears to be little chance to have something like an orchestra concert while not being able to put food on your plate.
I'm not suggesting starting a philharmonic or anything, but one or two people playing a popular tune by the fire in the wintertime is a tradition as old as instruments themselves. And while popular music as WE know it is gone, the ability for music to be popular and spread wouldn't necessarily be. There's an ample record of popular music from Renaissance times----these are just dumb songs that got sung in one pub, then carried to the next and the next and the next...

Off the top of my head, I know about five kids who have all independently figured out how to play the Mario theme on the various instruments they have access to so it's not like having SOME enjoyable music is unattainable due to the level of skill required.

(One 4th grade kid came up with a duet arrangement of the Mario music for violin and piano that was absolutely FANTASTIC, but he's know to be extraordinarily gifted in music.)

TiVolution!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #29
lodica1967

I love it when the show discussions are more interesting than the show!

Bring on the music experts, can't wait.

BTW I know more about trains and gauge/track sizes now than I ever wanted to know!

And I finally had to stop reading the last Revolution thread when a troll showed up to nitpick every word someone used. I hope this one stays informative and not argumentative.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Oh...and my son has an ocarina and a little book of Legend of Zelda music for the ocarina. We just need to give him a sword, bow, and arrow, and we can all be entertained playing a live-action "video game" by yelling what we think he should do if we are unexpectedly plunged into a post-electronic Apocalypse.

TiVolution!