Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #31
Frylock
Live Long and Tivo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
They still have cooking shows on all morning and afternoon during the week and all morning on the weekends.

I stopped watching RI when they started forcing viewers to go to the website to get the updates on how the restaurant was doing.
Yes, there are still plenty of cooking shows. They just go with different shows in prime time.

I also gave up on RI when I got no updates. I don't like the show enough to go look up the ending online.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #32
tivogurl

I really like Tyler's Ultimate, which I think hasn't had new episodes in a couple of years. Never saw an official cancellation notice though.

You'll notice that they've cut the budget on DDD, typically only two restaurants per show now instead of three. Guy's Big Bite doesn't bother paying for a set now, they just shoot in Guy's back yard.

Losing Alton was a big blow to the network.

The replacements, like the sandwich guy, are lackluster in my opinion.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #33
zuko3984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post

Well they haven't really lost Alton. It is really just Good Eats that went away and while I really liked it, it was on for a long time and kind of getting a little tired. He still does Iron Chef, The Next Iron Chef, Next Food Network Star and a bunch of specials like the live thanksgiving one they just had.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zuko3984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #34
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
I really like Tyler's Ultimate, which I think hasn't had new episodes in a couple of years. Never saw an official cancellation notice though.

You'll notice that they've cut the budget on DDD, typically only two restaurants per show now instead of three. Guy's Big Bite doesn't bother paying for a set now, they just shoot in Guy's back yard.

The replacements, like the sandwich guy, are lackluster in my opinion.
I was OK with Tyler's Ultimate but he kind of annoyed me.

I agree the sandwich guy and Pioneer Woman are not that good of shows. Plus the way she talks annoys me.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #35
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman JS View Post
You are missing out. Some of the best restaurants in the United States are celebrity chef restaurants. French Laundry, Per Se, Scarpetta, Cut, Craftsteak are some examples of excellent celebrity chef restaurants.
The French Laundry and Per Se are worlds ahead of the other places you mentioned, and I wouldn't consider Thomas Keller or his underlings at those places to be "celebrity chefs" ... the closest we have to a celebrity who runs one of the best restaurants in the world is probably Eric Ripert. Whose show is on PBS and not Food Network.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #36
dylking
I've never farded

Our Season Pass List looks like this:

FOOD: 30-Minute Meals
COOK: Nadia G's Bitchin' Kitchen
FOOD: Iron Chef America
COOK: Kelsey's Essentials
FOOD: Secrets of a Restaurant Chef
FOOD: 10 Dollar Dinners
FOOD: Food Network Star
FOOD: Aarti Party
FOOD: Sandwich King
FOOD: Pioneer Woman
FOOD: Restaurant Stakeout
FOOD: Restaurant Impossible

FOOD: Trisha's Southern Kitchen
FOOD: Best Thing I Ever Made
FOOD: Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives
FOOD: Chef Wanted
FOOD: $24 in 24
FOOD: Next Iron Chef
COOK: Iron Chef (Reruns)

COOK: Good Eats (Reruns)

Based just on that list, I'd say there's still a lot of cooking shows still on Food Network
dylking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #37
markymark_ctown

just becuase you record it doesn't mean it's good...

i record several of those too
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #38
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
I never meant to suggest that they were all "bad". Many (not all) "celebrity" restaurants have very little to do with the person in their title and more to do with the group that provides most or all of the money. They can be very good, but I'd rather pay directly into the hardworking people who are trying to live a dream. Not right or wrong, preference!

There is a huge difference in a Chef celebrity (Colicchio, Puck, Keller) and Celebrity Chefs (Fieri, Flay, etc).
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 AM   #39
Freshman JS
Blue Devil - x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyis4dcats View Post
There is a huge difference in a Chef celebrity (Colicchio, Puck, Keller) and Celebrity Chefs (Fieri, Flay, etc).
Fieri is a different category than the others. But, Flay started as a legit chef with the highly successful Mesa Grill before he did much of anything on TV.

I like Puck's high end places, but he is as much of a sellout as any major chef with the low quality cookware, airport fast food places, and media empire.

Colicchio has amended the signage at Craftsteak in Vegas to say "Tom Colicchio's craft steak." he has embraced the celeb chef thing bigtime. I still like the food there a lot.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #40
Freshman JS
Blue Devil - x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
The French Laundry and Per Se are worlds ahead of the other places you mentioned, and I wouldn't consider Thomas Keller or his underlings at those places to be "celebrity chefs" ... the closest we have to a celebrity who runs one of the best restaurants in the world is probably Eric Ripert. Whose show is on PBS and not Food Network.
Sure, French Laundry and Per se might be the 2 very best restaurants in the country. Thomas Keller is doing a new food travel show.

The other restaurants I mentioned are all excellent as well - not at French Laundry level, but neither are Keller's other places. Bouchon Las Vegas, in particular, is really not very good at all.

Scarpetta got a terrific 3 star review in the NY Times when it opened. I really like that place a lot.

Cut in Beverly Hills is phenomenal. If you haven't been, you really should try it. (Far better than the Vegas outpost).

My point was that avoiding restaurants run by celebrity chefs would mean you are missing some good places. That's all.

Certainly there are some celebrity chefs with bad restaurants, most notably Guy Fieri (I assume, although I have not been to his place). But, so what?
Old 11-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #41
dylking
I've never farded

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark_ctown View Post
just becuase you record it doesn't mean it's good...

i record several of those too
Well, I wasn't saying that necessarily (Restaurant Stakeout is a trainwreck, imo - but I can't NOT watch).

I was really replying to the OP's assertion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Just like the demise of MTV and recently ESPN, Food Network is virtually unwatchable.

All they ever show is reality cooking shows, Cupcake wars, restaurant impossible and Chopped.

There is never any actual cooking anymore.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #42
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylking View Post

[i]FOOD: Restaurant Stakeout..
Have you seen the past threads about this show? I just ask because I USED to like that show until finding out more info that was shared in the other threads.
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #43
dylking
I've never farded

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
Have you seen the past threads about this show? I just ask because I USED to like that show until finding out more info that was shared in the other threads.
Yeah, I have. I think of it as a 'guilty pleasure', I guess. It's kind of like House Hunters - a 'fictional reality show'.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #44
Mikeyis4dcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman JS View Post
Fieri is a different category than the others. But, Flay started as a legit chef with the highly successful Mesa Grill before he did much of anything on TV.

I like Puck's high end places, but he is as much of a sellout as any major chef with the low quality cookware, airport fast food places, and media empire.

Colicchio has amended the signage at Craftsteak in Vegas to say "Tom Colicchio's craft steak." he has embraced the celeb chef thing bigtime. I still like the food there a lot.

Puck and Tom earned their stripes though. That's my point....IMHO most of the rest didn't. Flay may be talented, but he's such a pompous ass I loathe him.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:07 AM   #45
jamesl

Quote:
... Flay may be talented, but he's such a pompous ass I loathe him.
the first time I saw Flay show what I interpreted as respect to another cook was either one of the first "next food network star" or "next iron chef" shows

the contestants were told to make a dish that represented themselves

one contestant brought his dish up to the judges and said "my dish is a Moroccan something something"

Bobby Flay picked up a fork and was just about to take a bite when Alton Brown said "What makes it Moroccan?"

and the contestant just stood there, this look of panic spreading across his face
"uh..."

and then Flay's snapped up and looked at the contestant and looked at Alton and smiled

I got the sense that Flay was thinking "wow, great question, smart, gets right to the point"

it initially looked like Bobby was just going to accept that yes, it was Moroccan and judge it on taste and presentation
almost like "if the contestant says it's Moroccan, it must be Moroccan"

it never even entered Flay's mind to question the contestant's knowledge of food, spices and what makes a regional cuisine regional

but Alton, being Alton, knew right away what to ask and instantly revealed the contestant's lack of knowledge

it looked like Bobby saw that and respected Alton

at least that's what I got from Bobby''s look and smile
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #46
bengalfreak

Quote:
I was OK with Tyler's Ultimate but he kind of annoyed me.

I agree the sandwich guy and Pioneer Woman are not that good of shows. Plus the way she talks annoys me.
LOL, those are two of the only shows I still like.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #47
Flitzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
There's also Cooking Channel, which still features almost exclusively cooking shows, some of which originated on Food Network, others that just feature Food Network stars.
Cooking Channel is essentially Food Network from 20 years ago, before they started doing all the reality nonsense (plus, I believe that it is 100% Guy Fieri free which pretty much makes it awesome).
Flitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #48
sharkster

Quote:

FOOD: 30-Minute Meals
COOK: Nadia G's Bitchin' Kitchen
FOOD: Iron Chef America
COOK: Kelsey's Essentials
FOOD: Secrets of a Restaurant Chef
FOOD: 10 Dollar Dinners
FOOD: Food Network Star
FOOD: Aarti Party
FOOD: Sandwich King
FOOD: Pioneer Woman
FOOD: Restaurant Stakeout
FOOD: Restaurant Impossible

FOOD: Trisha's Southern Kitchen
FOOD: Best Thing I Ever Made
FOOD: Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives
FOOD: Chef Wanted
FOOD: $24 in 24
FOOD: Next Iron Chef
COOK: Iron Chef (Reruns)

COOK: Good Eats (Reruns)

Based just on that list, I'd say there's still a lot of cooking shows still on Food Network
Looks a lot like mine, except for the pioneer woman, southern thing, and Aarti. I pretty much watch the rest of the ones on your list, though.

I think that Kelsey Nixon really came around and does an excellent job on her show. I never woulda thunk it, based on her appearance in NFNS that year. She also frequently has recipes that interest me.

No love for Extra Virgin? I love Debi and Gabriele. It's on COOK, right before or after Nadia.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #49
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitzy View Post
Cooking Channel is essentially Food Network from 20 years ago, before they started doing all the reality nonsense (plus, I believe that it is 100% Guy Fieri free which pretty much makes it awesome).
But its not in HD

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 12-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #50
waynomo
My One Time

I am just lamenting that you didn't title this thread, "Food Network is Rotten now."
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #51
aindik

Quote:
But its not in HD
It is for me.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #52
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Just like the demise of MTV and recently ESPN, Food Network is virtually unwatchable.

All they ever show is reality cooking shows, Cupcake wars, restaurant impossible and Chopped.

There is never any actual cooking anymore. I miss the days of Molto Mario, Rachel Ray and Emeril Lagasse actually in a kitchen cooking. Their alternate channel is not in HD so to me I can't look at it.

Thank God for PBS and their cooking shows!

We too miss the traditional cooking shows. But not really, because they are still there. They just might not get repeated as much.

We watch:

Ina Garden
Paula Deen
Pioneer Lady
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #53
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
But its not in HD
It is available in HD. Perhaps not on your provider, but I watch it in HD here on Time Warner Cable (Wisc.)
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #54
lambertman
Not single!

Cooking just went HD for us here in Central Indiana on xfinity last week. I'm very happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #55
mwhip
All better

You all are lucky then.

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 12-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #56
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
It is for me.
I also have Cooking Channel in HD (Charter).
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #57
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Puck and Tom earned their stripes though. That's my point....IMHO most of the rest didn't. Flay may be talented, but he's such a pompous ass I loathe him.
+100

That's my problem with Flay, EXACTLY! Well put.

I really miss Good Eats. It has been very interesting to learn about the actual chemistry behind the cooking. Many things that made no sense to me now are much clearer, thanks to Alton. Of course, some of his period pieces, like the cowboys in the chili episode, were pretty lame. Still you take the good with the bad. Overall, it was a very good show, and I have saved most of those episodes on DVD. (Two of them had the same name! 511, and 612.)

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #58
jamesl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
... Of course, some of his period pieces, like the cowboys in the chili episode, were pretty lame. ...
that was awesome

Good Eats S08E06 The Big Chili
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #59
dylking
I've never farded

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
No love for Extra Virgin? I love Debi and Gabriele. It's on COOK, right before or after Nadia.
I watched one, once. Totally not sold on it. I can't tell you exactly why - the hosts just didn't do much to capture my attention.

Maybe I'll give it another go.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #60
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
I watched one, once. Totally not sold on it. I can't tell you exactly why - the hosts just didn't do much to capture my attention.
Watched once and had no further desire to spend any time with them.

"Eden Eats" seems like I show I should like, but the host mugs like she's Chevy Chase and it's really irritating to watch.

I enjoy Nadia G, though, so that's incongruent of me.

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote