TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Knology - CableCARD Self-install allowed?

I took the plunge on Friday and ordered a new TiVo Premiere XL that's due to arrive tomorrow. What I'm wondering is whether anyone knows if Knology in Montgomery, AL, is by chance offering self-installs these days on CableCARDs.

When I bought my TiVo HD back in October of 2007, two installers came out and had no real clue what they were doing. One person came out when one of the single-stream cards failed a couple years back and I requested a multi-stream as a replacement, and he too seemed less than knowledgeable. So I'm wondering if I'm able to go pick one up and do the install myself and merely call for activation.

Anyone know?
stevewjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

It is a requirement that this is offered.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
It is a requirement that this is offered.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
I guess that answers that! Thanks!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
texasPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewjackson View Post
I guess that answers that! Thanks!
So what's the verdict on the self-install? I'm looking to signup with Knology in a few days and I'm also in Montgomery.
texasPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasPI View Post
So what's the verdict on the self-install? I'm looking to signup with Knology in a few days and I'm also in Montgomery.
To put it simply, don't expect them to cooperate without a fight.

I had my wife call to ask where I could get a CableCARD and she was told they don't do that. After some argument and referencing the FCC rules previously seen in this thread, I was told I'd have to visit my local office. On arrival there, I asked who I could see about getting one and was told they'd have to schedule a technician, but I refused and told her I was entitled to self-install. I showed her a printed copy of the FCC rules page and she sent me to a window.

At the window, I was told it's "not our policy" and I asked to speak to someone higher up who would allow me to do what the FCC said I'm entitled to do. A few minutes later, after having been told a manager would speak with me, I was called back up and given a CableCARD with instructions to call their number for activation.

But it wasn't that simple. After it activated, I discovered that a number of my HD channels were telling me that they weren't authorized. I could get the premiums (HBOHD, StarzHD, etc.) but not some others. They said all they could do was send a tech... When the tech arrived next morning, he never touched anything. He called them, they talked a bit, and finally figured out they hadn't authorized HD properly on my new CableCARD -- but only *after* looking at it repeatedly and finally realizing they were looking at the older one in my existing TiVo HD.

It would almost have been simpler to simply let them send a tech, but only after getting them to agree to waive the $29.95 charge that they first said would apply. It worked, but they're a little wonky in their understanding of what equipment I have -- they still insist I have a cable box that I returned to them when buying my TiVo HD back in 2007! So if you want to try it, you might want to be prepared to fight it out over the phone before finding success.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

Now that it is settled- I would send a quick note to Tivo. They cannot appreciate that a cableco is not following the FCC requirements...
Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
vurbano

And TiVo is going to do what to them exactly?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
texasPI

@stevewjackson - Yeah, I talked to them on the phone yesterday and that was pretty much the same experience I had.

EDIT: @stevewjackson - So did you already have service with them? I don't think they'll budge on requiring a truck roll for me because they said they need to physically connect me at the cable junction/box. I'm not sure about that since I already have internet service through them.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
@stevewjackson - Yeah, I talked to them on the phone yesterday and that was pretty much the same experience I had.

EDIT: @stevewjackson - So did you already have service with them? I don't think they'll budge on requiring a truck roll for me because they said they need to physically connect me at the cable junction/box. I'm not sure about that since I already have internet service through them.
I've had cable and Internet service with them since around 2005 or 2006, and a CableCARD in my previous TiVo since late 2007. So when I purchased a new Premiere, I merely wanted an additional CableCARD to go in it.

If you already have Internet service with them, I can't see why they'd insist on your needing anything more. But I'm not up on that aspect of cable service.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewjackson View Post
I've had cable and Internet service with them since around 2005 or 2006, and a CableCARD in my previous TiVo since late 2007. So when I purchased a new Premiere, I merely wanted an additional CableCARD to go in it.

If you already have Internet service with them, I can't see why they'd insist on your needing anything more. But I'm not up on that aspect of cable service.
filter maybe needs removed?
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
texasPI

There is a filter but only for analog. I can tune clear qam. I went the rounds with a Knology rep via email, quoted and linked to the FCC rules but they wouldn't budge on self install. I have a tech coming Saturday but they're going to waive the fee.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #12
jrtroo
User

File a complaint. Seems they need a little kick to begin to comply. Since you have documentation, it should be an easy win for you. Filing is free and easy.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
There is a filter but only for analog. I can tune clear qam. I went the rounds with a Knology rep via email, quoted and linked to the FCC rules but they wouldn't budge on self install. I have a tech coming Saturday but they're going to waive the fee.
They offered me the same, but I steadfastly refused and insisted that I was entitled to self-install. It might be that I went into the local office instead of doing things entirely by phone -- and I don't like phones because I have hearing difficulties and often can't understand, so that asking for repetition three, four or five times gets very frustrating with some rep wearing a headset who won't speak clearly.

But so long as you get it installed at no cost, you should be fine. Just be sure and check the bill when you get it. My newest one just arrived and now I have to fight with them over that. I can't make sense out of what they're charging me now when all I have is one more CableCARD and no other changes...