TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
dathing

How to limit number of times a show is recorded daily?

Is there any way to limit the number of times a show is recorded daily, if the first-run and repeat options are set? I record a couple Disney shows for the kids and keep 4 recordings. First-Run only isn't a good option because there aren't often new episodes. However, Disney seems to always be doing marathons and it seems like this show is on 10+ times a day. The problem is that every time I turn the TV on and turn around, TIVO switches to record the Disney show again because I missed the Tivo inquiry asking me if it's ok to change channels. If you turn on the news while you're making dinner and don't watch closely it changes the channel. Annoying and definately a first world problem, but I wondered if there was a "maximum of x times per day" setting.
dathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Nope, no "Max per day" setting. You could manually go through your to do list and remove some of the recordings.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Yeah, that's unfortunate that their "marathons" contain so many repeats of the same show. As was mentioned, you can pre-empt them in the "To Do" list or just cull out the repeats after they record. Tedious for sure. I use an old S2 box to do nothing but capture the B&W Twilight zone episodes off of SyFy. Sometimes they run a two or three day marathon but there are more than enough episodes to fill the slots without repeats.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
jrtroo
User

Disney is notorious for these. icarly kills me daily, since the kids have now seen them all it has been moved to a new only, KUID, 4 max. That seems to cut down the clutter, though the poor metadata for that show does interfere. Also, put those shows at the bottom of your priority list- you don't want them to record instead of something else...
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If your kids won't know the difference, use the "keep at most" setting (10 or 25) with the "keep until" set to 'until space needed'.

This way there is no more than 10 (or 25) episodes in the folder at any given time.
All episodes will still record, but "old" episodes will be deleted to make room for "new".

Edit:

If you want to isolate new episodes from reruns, then I suggest you make a season pass for the show set to first run only and make a seperate Auto Recording Wishlist to catch filler material with a KAM limit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 11-01-2012 at 05:52 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
underbird7

I've learned to just record everything. So, for example, if you want to watch the news, set it to record. It will ask you if you want to cancel the Disney show, say yes.
underbird7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
mr.unnatural

IIRC, you can schedule manual recordings to record the same channel at the same time on a daily basis. It will act like a season pass, but will only record what's on a given channel at a specific time. If the show in that particular time slot gets rescheduled your Tivo will still record whatever's being aired at that time and won't reschedule for a different time. You also won't get any descriptions of the show title or episode since it's done manually. Only programs scheduled via the guide will gather metadata for season passes or one-time recordings.

If you know your show will be aired at the same time every day then this might be how you want to handle it. Try it out and see if it works for you. I believe it will only provide the date, time, and channel the program was recorded on.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
You also won't get any descriptions of the show title or episode since it's done manually. Only programs scheduled via the guide will gather metadata for season passes or one-time recordings.

If you know your show will be aired at the same time every day then this might be how you want to handle it. Try it out and see if it works for you. I believe it will only provide the date, time, and channel the program was recorded on.
Untrue. You will have the data for whatever was/is showing when the recording began/begins.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #9
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Untrue. You will have the data for whatever was/is showing when the recording began/begins.
I haven't tried a manual recording in years so I couldn't recall whether or not the Tivo picked up the metadata if you didn't select the program to record directly from the guide. I know it does if you're in the guide and hit the record button for whatever show is airing on the current channel.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I haven't tried a manual recording in years so I couldn't recall whether or not the Tivo picked up the metadata if you didn't select the program to record directly from the guide. I know it does if you're in the guide and hit the record button for whatever show is airing on the current channel.
It still grabs the metadata.

(And, at least with the Premiere, it seems to use the data from whatever show fills the bulk of the recording, not the one the recording starts in. So even very agressive padding will still likely give you the 'right' name. I didn't test what would happen if you tried cases like a 1-hour recording that exactly covered two 30-min shows; in that case I'd guess it'd take the first one but don't know for sure)
Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
I didn't test what would happen if you tried cases like a 1-hour recording that exactly covered two 30-min shows; in that case I'd guess it'd take the first one but don't know for sure)
That's exactly what happens. If you manually record two 30-min shows in a one hour time slot, only the name of the 1st show is listed on the recording.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

If you're watching a program and you don't want to worry about missing the request to change the channel to record something else, hit record for the show(s) you're watching. A one-time manual recording has higher priority than SPs or wishlists.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote