TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Castle - Swan Song - OAD 11/12/12

This was the first episode of Castle that I actually disliked. The whole "they act stupid because a documentary is being filmed" gimmick was annoying, and it just didn't work.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
The wham was good.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #3
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Ugh, what a crap episode.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
BrettStah

We liked it!

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

It was just OK for me. The biggest issue I had with it was that they didn't actually film it documentary style. They still used tons of perfectly lit, perfectly framed camera angles, just like they always do. They should have given the camera crew 3 cameras and steadicam harnesses, and told them to film it as if it were live. Additionally, we should have seen the occasional boom mic guy, lighting operator, or camera guy accidentally get into the frame, like what would really happen if this were filmed live.

Since the gimmick of it being a documentary felt completely false to me, the rest of the episode felt rather flat (and frankly, kind of annoying).

Hopefully, this is the last gimmicky episode they do in a while. I enjoy an occasional gimmick episode on this show, but I'm ready to get back to a typical episode.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I stopped watching about ten minutes in.

First time ever. Hopefully last.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
This was the first episode of Castle that I actually disliked. The whole "they act stupid because a documentary is being filmed" gimmick was annoying, and it just didn't work.
Odd because it worked to perfection for me. As far as I'm concerned, they hit a home run with the comedy of this episode
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
BrettStah

Yep, I loved Esposito showing off for the cameras.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

There was some funny in here. My main problem was not enough Beckett and Castle. Plus no Castle home life which I always enjoy.

The Wham was good and there was another one that was funny but of course I forget now. I agree Esposito was fun, and Lanie vamping and showing off her cleavage made me laugh as well.

The mystery was kind of lame (I knew from the first minute the bass player was on the stage, even before we knew who was dead, that he was the guy) but most Castle mysteries are not brain teasers. I did like the stalker turning out to be the girl's dad; that was a nice change-up.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #10
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Since the gimmick of it being a documentary felt completely false to me, the rest of the episode felt rather flat (and frankly, kind of annoying).
I think you hit it right on the nail here.

If they had actually filmed it as you said, I might have bought into the hideous show-off-for-the-cameras schtick, but since the camerawork was the same as always, the acting just came off as being hideously off-the-top.

It's one thing when the show hits a writerly false note (like Castle signing his book jackets -- please, what writer does that?), because it's just a single moment, and the moment passes. It's easy to just wince at it and then go on with the episode.

But in this case, the false note is not just one moment, but pretty much the entire episode.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
eddyj

I would have HATED it in "documentary style". Much rather they did it as they did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Didn't they do a gimic show last year too that fell flat?? Didn't stand out for me, cuz I can't remember it, maybe like "the office"??
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
They still used tons of perfectly lit, perfectly framed camera angles, just like they always do.
Yeah....I kept laughing at the fact that it was supposed to be from the cameraman's perspective and then they'd do a couple quick cuts in succession to show a couple different angles on Castle's face during a single line of dialogue.

In short....it was regular filming, but with the oh-so-enriching addition of shakey-cam. Shakey-cam makes me horribly motion sick and triggers Post-Cloverfield Stress Disorder.

....and there definitely wasn't enough Castle/Beckett time.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #14
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I would have HATED it in "documentary style". Much rather they did it as they did.
Well, then, that's a sign to me that it's a rotten idea, and they should have tossed the script into the trash can.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
eddyj

I enjoyed the episode. I thought the antics in front of the camera were quite in character, for the most part.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE View Post
Didn't they do a gimic show last year too that fell flat?? Didn't stand out for me, cuz I can't remember it, maybe like "the office"??
Maybe you are thinking of a different show. "Leverage" did an homage to "The Office" last season, and it was quite cringe-worthy.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
If they're going to pretend the episode is being filmed as a documentary, then actually do it as a documentary.

To say they're filming it as a documentary, but film it exactly the same way they always do is stupid.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
eddyj

Quote:
If they're going to pretend the episode is being filmed as a documentary, then actually do it as a documentary.

To say they're filming it as a documentary, but film it exactly the same way they always do is stupid.
But they were not showing a documentary, they were showing how the people acted when they were being filmed for a documentary. So there is no reason for that to be shown as a documentary.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #19
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Quote:
Maybe you are thinking of a different show. "Leverage" did an homage to "The Office" last season, and it was quite cringe-worthy.

Yes, thank you, and it was.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
But they were not showing a documentary, they were showing how the people acted when they were being filmed for a documentary. So there is no reason for that to be shown as a documentary.
This.

I didn't so much mind that the filming of a documentary was a part of the storyline (or that some of the episode was shown from the documentary cameras' POV). I just think the characters acted stupidly and unrealistically over-the-top. That's what made the episode annoying (to me).

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
dcheesi
...I'm not.

It was fun for ten minutes, after that I had to force myself to finish it.

As for character behavior: Castle hamming it up makes sense, as does Beckett being shy/annoyed. But I don't think the rest of the teams would have turned into mini-Castles quite so shamelessly...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
What we were ostensibly seeing was the documentary footage. That's the reason that all the characters kept looking in the cameras, talking to the camera operators, etc. It's also the reason we had more than the usual "shakey-cam" this week.

The problem was that it looked nothing like documentary footage because it wasn't filmed that way.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
eddyj

Quote:

What we were ostensibly seeing was the documentary footage.
I totally disagree with this assumption. A few shots, when they were mugging for the camera, yes, but not the episode.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #24
mattack

Quote:
Wow, that's funny, because I had the exact opposite reaction, and forgot to post about it yesterday.

I thought this episode was fairly hilarious, ESPECIALLY the "overact [you said act stupid] because a documentary is being filmed".
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
I totally disagree with this assumption. A few shots, when they were mugging for the camera, yes, but not the episode.
If true, which I totally disagree with, there was absolutely no way to distinguish the shots that were documentary shots from the ones that weren't.

Given that, and given that there was a clear reaction to or acknowledgement of the cameras throughout the episode (not just "a few shots") one has to assume that the whole episode was supposed to be the documentary footage.

Either way, if it was only "a few shots" that one could not distinguish from the rest of the episode, then it was pretty much a failure. If it was the whole episode that was supposed to be documentary footage, but it was filmed exactly the same way they always film, it was pretty much a failure.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #26
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
If true, which I totally disagree with, there was absolutely no way to distinguish the shots that were documentary shots from the ones that weren't.
I'm with Eddy, and totally disagree with the above. It was very easy to tell the difference between the regular camera work and the documentary shots.

The regular camera work looked like it always does in every other episode. The documentary shots were shakier, and always included furtive glances by the characters directly into the camera (which was part of the over-the-top aspect that annoyed me so much).

Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #27
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
The mystery was kind of lame (I knew from the first minute the bass player was on the stage, even before we knew who was dead, that he was the guy) but most Castle mysteries are not brain teasers. I did like the stalker turning out to be the girl's dad; that was a nice change-up.
As soon as they showed him, I said "He did it."

My wife and I can almost always pick out the guilty guy right away in most shows. Sometimes as soon as we see their name in the credits. It's almost always the known guest star or the guy that has shown up in every drama we have watched.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #28
jehma

Quote:
I didn't so much mind that the filming of a documentary was a part of the storyline (or that some of the episode was shown from the documentary cameras' POV). I just think the characters acted stupidly and unrealistically over-the-top. That's what made the episode annoying (to me).
This.

In particular, Esposito and the chief annoyed me, and Lanie to a lesser degree. I think Castle was perfectly in character.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #29
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
This.

In particular, Esposito and the chief annoyed me, and Lanie to a lesser degree. I think Castle was perfectly in character.
I thought Esposito was in character too. He is pretty vain and concerned with looks. Lanie did not jar either. The Captain, yes. I could see her trying to make the department look good, but not the rest.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #30
Honora

Quote:
I thought Esposito was in character too. He is pretty vain and concerned with looks. Lanie did not jar either. The Captain, yes. I could see her trying to make the department look good, but not the rest.
What "rest"? Becket & Ryan? She was annoyed and uneasy (both logical for her), and Ryan just seemed to be trying to ignore the cameras as much as possible and get on with his work. I don't think he acted much different than usual.

Gates, on the other hand, did act like an idiot trying to make the department look good.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote