TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Change in new software

This to me is a bug, when watching the local news at 5 I am about 15 minutes behind. I have the national news set to record at 5:30 on the same chanel. I used to be able to finish watching the local news even though the national news started recording. Now I lose the buffer on live tv and have to go to the national news as its recording.I have a Premier all stock, just an extender attached.
This happened after the software upgrade.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Um, so record the local news if you care about it that much. To me you can never rely on the live buffer, there's too many ways it can go away.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
cherry ghost

You used to be able to finish the buffer even if the recording was on a different channel.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

News

I sure am glad you came up with that, I never would have thought of using the tivo to record a program. I was just pointing out a change since the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Um, so record the local news if you care about it that much. To me you can never rely on the live buffer, there's too many ways it can go away.

1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
jbenda

I noticed this also. Has it been reported to TiVo and/or margaret?
jbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Anything you want to watch you just record. Any potential problems with the live buffer is solved.
Even if I'm jumping around, if I am on a channel for a few minutes I hit record. I don't have to watch it, but if I do I know it will be there. Even an accidental button press can wipe the live buffer away.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #7
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Anything you want to watch you just record. Any potential problems with the live buffer is solved.
Even if I'm jumping around, if I am on a channel for a few minutes I hit record. I don't have to watch it, but if I do I know it will be there. Even an accidental button press can wipe the live buffer away.
You are 100% right AAron, I have hit the channel up or down button accidently.
My point was it has changed and I was pointing it out. Its just you become used to doing something one way and when it changes suddenly it takes some getting used to. It certainly isn't a disaster, just a minor inconvenience.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Am_I_Evil

I just noticed this last night...was watching something in the buffer and when my next recordings started I was kicked out...
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #9
tatergator1

I just experienced this as well. However, mine had a slightly different setup. I was home channel surfing and came across a show I wanted to watch. I hit record as I usually do. I was slightly behind live, maybe 5 minutes, when 1:00 PM hit. The Tivo kicked me out of my recording to the live feed of the channel starting @ 1:00. However, it was for no apparent reason. I have a 2-tuner and nothing is currently recording on either tuner.

I was of course able to go back to the recording and finish, but it really seems like I should have been able to finish watching the show and not be thrown out to Live TV for no apparent reason.

It's occurred to me that this might be a symptom of a fix Tivo tried to implement in the Fall Update for the old bug where a user would randomly be able to watch an old segment of the Live TV buffer from several hours in the past. Perhaps Tivo "fixed" this by simply causing a "refresh" of the buffer every 30 or 60 minutes. This refresh has then resulted in the "bug" discussed in this thread.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I just experienced this as well. However, mine had a slightly different setup. I was home channel surfing and came across a show I wanted to watch. I hit record as I usually do. I was slightly behind live, maybe 5 minutes, when 1:00 PM hit. The Tivo kicked me out of my recording to the live feed of the channel starting @ 1:00. However, it was for no apparent reason. I have a 2-tuner and nothing is currently recording on either tuner.
It stayed on the same channel, right?

My guess is that when a recording starts/stops, the TiVo is changing the channel, even if it's to the same channel you're already on, and that causes the refresh and the buffer disappears.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
tatergator1

Yes, same channel. I think everyone is taking issue with this because it changes the way the live buffer has behaved for the last 5 years, at least. I think getting kicked out of an active recording will annoy a lot of people, especially those recording sports programs where people have the tendency to watch them near-Live to fast forward through commercials. Couple this new behavior with the long-running behavior where pause points are not saved in active recordings, and you could get kicked out of a 3+ hour recording and then have to fast-forward/skip to the end of the recording to finish what you were watching.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

This bug has cropped up several times over the years. Seems like they've fixed it at least twice before. If you report it they'll probably add it to the list and get it fixed in a future release.

One thing you should do is try switching to the SDUI temporarily and see if it still does it there. They seem to be separate so it might behave differently in the SDUI vs the HDUI. Not really a solution, but an interesting experiment.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Couple this new behavior with the long-running behavior where pause points are not saved in active recordings, and you could get kicked out of a 3+ hour recording and then have to fast-forward/skip to the end of the recording to finish what you were watching.
I've watched NFL and NASCAR the past couple of weeks a little bit behind live and haven't seen the HDUI lose the pause points yet. It would regularly do this on active recordings before the fall update.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I've watched NFL and NASCAR the past couple of weeks a little bit behind live and haven't seen the HDUI lose the pause points yet. It would regularly do this on active recordings before the fall update.
That would be great if that was finally fixed.

As for the "bug" it seems to be related to some specific set of circumstances. I was watching another show last night, and deliberately delayed the show to see what would happen at 8:00. In this case, nothing. The buffer held and I was able to watch uninterrupted and everything prior to 8:00 was maintained. Makes me think the buffer reset might be correlated to inactivity. I know I was actively using the remote prior to 8:00, where with my experience earlier in the day, I think I may have simply been letting the show run for 10-15 minutes without any interaction. Perhaps there is a "timeout" setting where the new update will now reset/refresh the buffer if it believes you're no longer watching. Definitely needs some more investigation.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
mattack

I definitely see pause points not being saved.. It seems related to the "spoiler window". If you don't pause beforehand, the point you stopped watching at might not be saved.

But I'm not sure.. I wasn't able to get 100% reproducible steps. I am thinking of going back to SD UI for this among other reasons.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #16
sharkster

I had this happen in a similar fashion. I was watching a show, semi-live, and I knew that both tuners would be changing channels to record shows at 8pm. I've done this for years. Usually, say you're 15 minutes or so behind. The tuner would change the channel at 8:00 but, since you were behind, you could still finish watching your show until it ended.

When 8:00 came along, I was knocked out of the last 15 minutes of the show I was watching. This pisses me off. I don't understand why this sort of thing had to change. It still worked the other way when I replaced my Series 2 units with Premieres - until this fall update. damn

I know I could have been recording the other show but I have never had to do that. At least now I know and I can plan accordingly, but sometimes I watch stuff semi-live, then when both tuners change and I've been able to finish my show I went into my now playing list and started watching recorded stuff.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #17
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I definitely see pause points not being saved.. It seems related to the "spoiler window". If you don't pause beforehand, the point you stopped watching at might not be saved.

But I'm not sure.. I wasn't able to get 100% reproducible steps. I am thinking of going back to SD UI for this among other reasons.
The problem happened before the fall update without the spoiler window on, so I'm not sure it's related to that. I turned this off immediately when I switched to the HDUI, both before and after the update.

If it happens once in a blue moon I can live with it, but as mentioned I saw it all the time before the update (and switched back to SD because of it) and haven't seen it since, so I'm still using HD.