TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
tmozer
New Tivo Premiere Ow

Caller ID?

One nice feature (that my wife liked) was the display of caller ID when a phone call came in on a TV connected to a Time Warner cable box. Returning the TW DVR and replacing it with a Tivo Premiere I guess we lose that feature? Is it possible with a Tivo??
tmozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
One nice feature (that my wife liked) was the display of caller ID when a phone call came in on a TV connected to a Time Warner cable box.
I hate that feature.

Quote:
Returning the TW DVR and replacing it with a Tivo Premiere I guess we lose that feature?
Yes.

Quote:
Is it possible with a Tivo??
Yes, but not with a Premiere. It can be done on a modified S2 or S3 TiVo. In fact, it ca be done two different ways on a modified TiVo. If one has VOIP service (like Vonage) with a compatible ATA, on can run an NCID server on the network and load an NCID client on the TiVo. Alternately, one can employ the embedded modem and run the NCID server on a modified S2 or S3 TiVo.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Or you can buy a cordless phone with caller ID display. That way you can not only see who is calling, you can answer the phone as well!
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Premiere units don't even have a modem built in, so there is no where to connect a phone line even if you wanted to.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
cannonz

There are a lot of standalone devices that do it.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
There are a lot of standalone devices that do it.
Yeah, they're called cordless phones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Premiere units don't even have a modem built in, so there is no where to connect a phone line even if you wanted to.
Yes, but using NCID the device needn't have one. Every workstation in my house, for example, can run the NCID client (and several do), but none of them have a modem built in. My NCID server pulls its info from the Vonage ATA. A PC with a modem or an S1, modified S2, or modified S3 TiVo will work, too.

Of course, one cannot run foreign software on a Premiere. TiVo could easily install and support it, if they chose to do so.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Yes, but using NCID the device needn't have one. Every workstation in my house, for example, can run the NCID client (and several do), but none of them have a modem built in. My NCID server pulls its info from the Vonage ATA. A PC with a modem or an S1, modified S2, or modified S3 TiVo will work, too.

Of course, one cannot run foreign software on a Premiere. TiVo could easily install and support it, if they chose to do so.
If your are using phone service from the cable you would be correct, Comcast has a free program that I can load on my computer and get a pop up with the caller ID, but if you are using phone lines than you would have to have some type of interface from the phone line to your network.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
If your are using phone service from the cable you would be correct, Comcast has a free program that I can load on my computer and get a pop up with the caller ID, but if you are using phone lines than you would have to have some type of interface from the phone line to your network.
That is why I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
My NCID server pulls its info from the Vonage ATA. A PC with a modem or an S1, modified S2, or modified S3 TiVo will work, too.