TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
jafo1000

Noise out of speakers while changing channels with Premiere

I just bought a new Premiere and am already having some weird issue. When I change the channel, I get a loud noise out of my speakers, almost like a high pitched squeal. I can make it go away when I turn off Dolby Digital in the Tivo and turn it to PCM, but that just gives me 2-channel stereo to my receiver, and what's the point in that? I'm using optical cable for sound, and I've also tried changing the input select on the receiver from auto-detect to digital, thinking the noise was from the reciever trying to detect what audio signal was being fed, but this didnt' work, either. Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a fix?

Last edited by jafo1000 : 02-24-2012 at 09:51 AM.
jafo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo1000 View Post
I just bought a new Premiere and am already having some weird issues. When I change the channel, I get loud audio pops out of my speakers, and every so often while changing channels, I get a glimpse of the Tivo's menu for a split second, then it tunes into the channel. I think the audio pops may somehow be related to this. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a fix for it?
Using the audio optical TiVo output this problem was much worse on the TiVo HD than on the TP but it depends on your amp. more that anything else. The original Series 3 with the OEL front panel did not have this problem. People have put threads together for different amps and the problems they had with the audio pops. One solution is to change the audio on the TiVo from Dolby to the other choice, that will fix the problem but you will not have surround sound anymore.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
jcthorne

Quote:
I just bought a new Premiere and am already having some weird issue. When I change the channel, I get a loud noise out of my speakers, almost like a high pitched squeal. I can make it go away when I turn off Dolby Digital in the Tivo and turn it to PCM, but that just gives me 2-channel stereo to my receiver, and what's the point in that? I'm using optical cable for sound, and I've also tried changing the input select on the receiver from auto-detect to digital, thinking the noise was from the reciever trying to detect what audio signal was being fed, but this didnt' work, either. Has anyone else had this issue, and is there a fix?
Unfortunatly the only fix is to use a different decoder. The problem is in the un uniform data stream. Each time the program or menu changes, the data stream is interrrupted and a new stream starts. Often in a different format, IE DD5.1 vs 2.0 or PCM. Some decoders/amps do not deal with this well. Most newer ones do fine.

Tivo has done some work to help, the recent Premier updates to v20 are better on my older Integra amp but there are still anomolies due to the data stream hickups.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
jafo1000

I have been using a HD Tivo for over 3 years on the same receiver with the same audio hook-up - a 3-year-old Denon - and never had any issues. Tivo is exchanging the unit. Hopefully it was just a glitch in that one box.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
jafo1000

I just received a replacement Premiere, and it's doing the same thing. Is there any possibility that this could be a tuning adaptor issue? I'm kind of grasping at straws here...
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
JZ1276

Quote:
I just received a replacement Premiere, and it's doing the same thing. Is there any possibility that this could be a tuning adaptor issue? I'm kind of grasping at straws here...
No. It's definitely a compatibility issue between the tivo and the type of receiver. I've used my TivoHD with 3 different (Pioneer) receivers. I just upgraded to a 2012 Pioneer receiver and am now having this problem. It's unacceptable. I've had guests over since the upgrade that actually jump when I change the channel.
JZ1276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
jcthorne

My new Yamaha works fine with the Tivo. Replaced my previous Onkyo that worked fine other than these glitches. I finally got tired of them and replaced the reciever. If your new Pioneer glitches the audio output like that, I would suggest you take it back and get a different brand.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote