TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Adding a folder

Ok I got PyTivo working yipeeeee. I have been a Tivo user for over 8 years now and have a new Tivo outlook. I feel like a kid in a candy store. Now I just need some help making a folder on my kids Tivo so I can store or push or transfer whatever it's called. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealone View Post
Ok I got PyTivo working yipeeeee. I have been a Tivo user for over 8 years now and have a new Tivo outlook. I feel like a kid in a candy store. Now I just need some help making a folder on my kids Tivo so I can store or push or transfer whatever it's called. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
You can't "make" a folder on a TiVo.

If you have pyTivo configured properly, including your tivo.com user and password, you can push files to a TiVo. Multiple files will go into a "folder" if:

1.they are in the same series and

2. each one has a "metadata" file associated with them that includes series id.

Look for programs pyTivoMetaThis and MetaGenerator.

If these are files you pulled from another TiVo on the same account, (.tivo files), the metadata is embedded.

If you are asking how to set up a folder on the computer that you can push or pull from, just create a folder on the computer and put the videos you want to get to the TiVo in it (if you don't have one already). Then start pyTivo, go to http://localhost:9032/ and set up a "video share" whose "path" is the complete path to that folder.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post

If you have pyTivo configured properly, including your tivo.com user and password, you can push files to a TiVo. Multiple files will go into a "folder" if:

Look for programs pyTivoMetaThis and MetaGenerator.

If these are files you pulled from another TiVo on the same account, (.tivo files), the metadata is embedded.

If you are asking how to set up a folder on the computer that you can push or pull from, just create a folder on the computer and put the videos you want to get to the TiVo in it (if you don't have one already). Then start pyTivo, go to http://localhost:9032/ and set up a "video share" whose "path" is the complete path to that folder.
Ok Now I understand and thank you for the help. The movies are of the same series but not with "metadata" info. But I think I understand much beter now how it works. Thanks Again.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
lpwcomp

The two tools I mentioned can be used to create metadata. For most TV shows, you can use them to create metadata files such that all episodes of a series will end up in the same group(folder). For movies, you have to edit the metadata (they are text files) to add/modify lines so they will be grouped together.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
lrhorer

Quote:
That's not quite true.

Quote:

Correct, but it is not the only way to skin this cat, depending on what the OP means. Every pyTivo share created by the user will show up as a separate folder in the NPL. Every directory created underneath a share directory will show up as a separate folder in its share in the NPL.

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-11-2012 at 11:51 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
lpwcomp

When his kids go to watch something on their TiVo, do you want to be the one to explain to them that they might not be able to immediately go to their favorite part because it is being transferred from the computer and it hasn't gotten that far yet?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
lpwcomp

I have come to the realization that the OP may be confused. Mostly my fault, I'm afraid. I got hung up on the title of the thread rather than the actual objective.

Metadata isn't required to transfer a video to a TiVo. When you transfer them(pull or push), they will appear in the NPL as whatever the computer file name is, w/o the extension. Shows or movies in a series will just be separate entries rather than grouped together. There also will be no description.

Edit (brazenly stol.., uh copied from a jcthorne post):

Setup help for pyTivo under windows: pyTivo

Last edited by lpwcomp : 09-26-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: add link to pyTivo setup
Old 09-26-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
jcthorne

One piece of info not well documented, when you pull a file from the tivo menu, the meta data must contain a seriesid that tivo recognizes from its guide data.

When you push a file from pytivo's web interface, the seriesid can be made up and the title will be used from then on and grouped into the same folder for all files using the same seriesid. I used this method to create some folders of my own convention on the tivo.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Thank you
Old 09-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #10
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
One piece of info not well documented, when you pull a file from the tivo menu, the meta data must contain a seriesid that tivo recognizes from its guide data.
Not true. I pulled two movies in a series for which I had made up a seriesID and they went into the same folder.

This was on the Premiere.

Second Edit: I also specified "seriesTitle" in the Metadata. That was the name of the group(folder) they ended up in on the TiVo.

Third, and hopefully final edit: It only works on the Premiere.

Last edited by lpwcomp : 09-27-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
jcthorne

Interesting. I have not pulled any files since I got the Premiere. Only push. Wonder what else has changed....

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
lpwcomp

The only other thing I have noticed is an HD menu issue. The metadata displayed is limited to Description and OAD, the latter only for a pulled show. If I switch to the SD menus, I see all of the metadata I expect to see for a pulled show, e.g. actors, guest stars,writers, directors.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
lrhorer

Quote:
When his kids go to watch something on their TiVo, do you want to be the one to explain to them that they might not be able to immediately go to their favorite part because it is being transferred from the computer and it hasn't gotten that far yet?
If they were my children, absolutely.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

If I may hijack this thread... I have a quick question. My TiVo is happily recording cheesy Christmas movies for me. I am transferring these movies and their metadata file to my PC. What I want to do is send them all back to the TiVo but force them into a "Christmas" folder for viewing closer to the holiday.

What line of the metadata files do I edit to force this to happen? (seriesid? or seriestitle?)

I just want to be clear so I don't mess anything up.

Thanks!

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #15
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
If I may hijack this thread...
I think you can be forgiven for hijacking a year old thread.

Quote:
I have a quick question. My TiVo is happily recording cheesy Christmas movies for me. I am transferring these movies and their metadata file to my PC. What I want to do is send them all back to the TiVo but force them into a "Christmas" folder for viewing closer to the holiday.
Isn't that the only reason anyone ever purchases a TiVo?

Quote:
What line of the metadata files do I edit to force this to happen? (seriesid? or seriestitle?)
In the metafile for each program, create the following line or edit any existing seriesTitle line:

Code:
seriesTitle : Christmas
Then pull up the pyTivo web app and push all the videos whose metafiles you just editied to the TiVo of your choice.

If I may make two suggestions, as well:

1. I would create a separate directory on your pyTivo host named "Christmas", or "Holidays", or whatever you like. Then go to your pyTivo configuration, and create a share for that directory. Finally do one (or a mixture) of two things. Either move all the holiday films and their metafiles over to the new directory, or else create shortcuts in the new directory to the files in their original location.

2. As an alternative to the above, you could run vidmgr, create some metafield that links the videos in question together, and then create a virtual share that groups the videos in the way you want.

For example, every video in my library has metafields named vProgramGenre. There is a separate vProgrGenre line for each genre that fits the video. (Note vidmgr does not require it to be one category per line. Each line can have multiple categories, if one chooses.) For every film that has a holiday theme, I create a line:

Code:
vProgramGenre : Holiday
Then in vidmgr.ini I have a virtual share defined like so:

Code:
[Browse by Genre]
tags = vProgramGenre
Note the share would be structured a little differently if there were not one genre specified per line in the metafiles. This is the result:

Hmm. I need to speak with Jeff about the possibility of associating cover art with virtual shares, don't I?

Last edited by lrhorer : 11-11-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
lpwcomp

Quote:
If I may hijack this thread... I have a quick question. My TiVo is happily recording cheesy Christmas movies for me. I am transferring these movies and their metadata file to my PC. What I want to do is send them all back to the TiVo but force them into a "Christmas" folder for viewing closer to the holiday.

I just want to be clear so I don't mess anything up.

Thanks!
What model TiVo is this?

BTW, as an alternative to editing every metadata file (assuming none of them is actually an episode of a series), once you have all the movies in a folder on the computer, simply create a file named "default.txt" with the seriesTitle entry in it.

I assume you are decoding all of these video files so that you have .mpg files. The text metadata files are ignored for .tivo files.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

As always you are full of great information. Thank you! I have never used vidmgr so might have to look into that.

Ultimately you answered my question, but I wonder why you prefer keeping the files on my host pc? I had considered that but didn't want to have to dig down to the folder on my share to watch and/or have to transfer as I wanted to watch as my host PC is dreadfully slow.

Thanks again. I appreciate all of your help.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
Old 11-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #18
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
What model TiVo is this?

BTW, as an alternative to editing every metadata file (assuming none of them is actually an episode of a series), once you have all the movies in a folder on the computer, simply create a file named "default.txt" with the seriesTitle entry in it.

I assume you are decoding all of these video files so that you have .mpg files. The text metadata files are ignored for .tivo files.
This TiVo is a Premiere 4.

Thanks for the tip about the one file... I guess I'm kind of back at square one in that case because for these particular files I was not decoding them. I just wanted to group them... I will be deleting as I watch so I didn't want to waste more time.

Is there a way to do what I want to do and keep the files as .tivo? If not I can decrypt them, that's not a problem, I just want to avoid it if I can.

Thanks for your help.

Retired
Old 11-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
lrhorer

Quote:
As always you are full of great information. Thank you! I have never used vidmgr so might have to look into that.

Ultimately you answered my question, but I wonder why you prefer keeping the files on my host pc?
Um, I didn't say that. (By "host PC" I presume you mean the PC hosting pyTivo. If not, please explain.) There is nothing particularly wrong with running pyTivo on a machine different from the one that contains the video files. Simply share the directory that contains the files on the network and map that directory on the host running pyTivo.

Quote:
I had considered that but didn't want to have to dig down to the folder on my share to watch and/or have to transfer as I wanted to watch as my host PC is dreadfully slow.
I'm not following you, here. What has the speed of the PC to do with transferring videos to the Tivo?
Old 11-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #20
lrhorer

Quote:
Thanks for the tip about the one file... I guess I'm kind of back at square one in that case because for these particular files I was not decoding them. I just wanted to group them... I will be deleting as I watch so I didn't want to waste more time.
No time need be wasted. Utilities such as kmttg can transcode the video to .mpg on the fly. It takes no longer to transfer videos this way than leaving them as .TiVo files.

Quote:
Is there a way to do what I want to do and keep the files as .tivo? If not I can decrypt them, that's not a problem, I just want to avoid it if I can.
I don't think so.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
lrhorer

Quote:
To expand on this, the entries in default.txt are overwritten by any entires in a specific metafile. Thus, if the metafile for a specific show contails a different seriesTitle value, then that value will be used. Otherwise, the default is used.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Um, I didn't say that. (By "host PC" I presume you mean the PC hosting pyTivo. If not, please explain.) There is nothing particularly wrong with running pyTivo on a machine different from the one that contains the video files. Simply share the directory that contains the files on the network and map that directory on the host running pyTivo.
You suggested making a separate directory on my pyTiVo host... which would leave the files on the host pc (yes my pytivo machine) as opposed to transferring them back to my TiVo. Or that's how I took your suggestion. I was wondering if (or why) you thought that a better alternative to transferring. I'm a curious girl so I asked

Quote:
I'm not following you, here. What has the speed of the PC to do with transferring videos to the Tivo?
This was only in reference to me storing the movies on the Pytivo PC and accessing from there. I think I may have misunderstood your response to my original post. Sorry for the confusion.

Retired
Old 11-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #23
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
No time need be wasted. Utilities such as kmttg can transcode the video to .mpg on the fly. It takes no longer to transfer videos this way than leaving them as .TiVo files.
Alright, so converting I will be doing thanks again!

Retired
Old 11-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #24
lrhorer

Quote:
You suggested making a separate directory on my pyTiVo host... which would leave the files on the host pc (yes my pytivo machine) as opposed to transferring them back to my TiVo. Or that's how I took your suggestion. I was wondering if (or why) you thought that a better alternative to transferring. I'm a curious girl so I asked
No, not necessarily. It's just that putting the files or at least links to the files in their own share will make it easy to transfer them all to the TiVo. Delete them afterwards, or not, as you wish. If pushing directly from the pyTivo web app is how you choose to do it, then creating such a collection in one place requires either creating a separate pyTivo share, or else creating a subdirectory underneath a pyTivo share and moving the files there or creating links to them there. If you employ vidmgr to handle the pushes, then all you need to do is create the appropriate metafields. One can easily do both.

Quote:
This was only in reference to me storing the movies on the Pytivo PC and accessing from there. I think I may have misunderstood your response to my original post. Sorry for the confusion.
By "access" do you mean playing them from there on a PC? One certainly can if one so desires. I was speaking of pushing from the PC to a TiVo, however.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:

1. I would create a separate directory on your pyTivo host named "Christmas", or "Holidays", or whatever you like. Then go to your pyTivo configuration, and create a share for that directory. Finally do one (or a mixture) of two things. Either move all the holiday films and their metafiles over to the new directory, or else create shortcuts in the new directory to the files in their original location.

Ok, I converted the files, have a share named Christmas, set pytivo to push the files back to my TiVo from the share. How do I get the metadata files to go with the .mpg files? I tried to push them with KMTTG but that didn't work. pytivo is just transferring the video files without any data.

In the Christmas share I have both an .mpg and a .txt file with the same name.

Christmas movie.mpg
Christmas movie.txt

Edit: I read somewhere else to name the txt file Christmas movie.mpg.txt so I'm trying that now.
Edit #2: That appears to have worked for the grouping. To get the individual movie titles to show I had to add a line 'episodeTitle:' to the metadata file and populate with the movie title much like a TV Series.
Edit #3: Nope... no grouping. Back to the drawing board. All it did was change the series title and each file was still on its own. This may be because the isepisode: was set to false.

For simplicity sake I am now trying the default.txt suggestion, if this doesn't work I will go in and try setting the isepisode: field to true.

Thanks for any further help.

Retired

Last edited by HeatherA : 11-12-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #26
cherry ghost

Quote:
Ok, I converted the files, have a share named Christmas, set pytivo to push the files back to my TiVo from the share. How do I get the metadata files to go with the .mpg files? I tried to push them with KMTTG but that didn't work. pytivo is just transferring the video files without any data.

In the Christmas share I have both an .mpg and a .txt file with the same name.

Christmas movie.mpg
Christmas movie.txt

Edit: I read somewhere else to name the txt file Christmas movie.mpg.txt so I'm trying that now.
Edit #2: That appears to have worked for the grouping. To get the individual movie titles to show I had to add a line 'episodeTitle:' to the metadata file and populate with the movie title much like a TV Series.
Edit #3: Nope... no grouping. Back to the drawing board. All it did was change the series title and each file was still on its own.

Thanks for any further help.
post your "Christmas movie.mpg.txt" and your "default.txt"
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #27
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
post your "Christmas movie.mpg.txt" and your "default.txt"
12 Men of Christmas.mpg.txt
Code:
title : 12 Men of Christmas
seriesTitle : 
episodeTitle : 12 Men of Christmas
description : A public-relations executive uses her media savvy to stir excitement in a small Montana town. Based on the novel "Decent Exposure" by Phillipa Ashley. 
time : 2012-11-11T20:00:00Z
mpaaRating : N8
movieYear : 2009
isEpisode : true
iso_duration : PT1H59M59S
isEpisodic : true
showingBits : 790529
tvRating : x4
displayMajorNumber : 274
callsign : LIFEHD
seriesId : MV267396
programId : MV002673960000
vActor : Chenoweth|Kristin
vActor : Hopkins|Josh
vActor : Chlumsky|Anna
vActor : Dilly|Erin
vActor : Huszar|Stephen
vActor : Hanson|Heather
vDirector : Sanford|Arlene
vExecProducer : Maas|Jon
vExecProducer : Demberg|Lisa
vProducer : Copeland|Greg
vProgramGenre : 
vProgramGenre : 
vProgramGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vSeriesGenre :

A Christmas Visitor.mpg.txt
Code:
title: A Christmas Visitor
seriesTitle : 
episodeTitle : A Christmas Visitor
description : Grieving over a son's death in the Gulf War, a family meets a stranger who rekindles the holiday spirit.
time : 2012-11-11T05:00:00Z
mpaaRating : N8
movieYear : 2002
isEpisode : true
iso_duration : PT1H59M59S
isEpisodic : false
showingBits : 4097
tvRating : x3
displayMajorNumber : 272
callsign : HALLHD
seriesId : MV128890
programId : MV001288900000
vActor : Devane|William
vActor : Baxter|Meredith
vActor : Pasternak|Reagan
vActor : McDermott|Dean
vDirector : Leitch|Christopher
vExecProducer : Abrams|Gerald
vProducer : Goldman|Paul
vProducer : Siracusa|Frank
vProgramGenre : 
vProgramGenre : 
vProgramGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vSeriesGenre : 
vWriter : Samerjan|George
vWriter : Saperstein|David

default.txt
Code:
seriesId : Cheesy Christmas Movies

These two movies are my test subjects. My last attempt failed to group as well. After posting this I see I have seriesId as opposed to seriesTitle in my default.txt. Trying again with this changed to seriesTitle.

Retired

Last edited by HeatherA : 11-12-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #28
cherry ghost

couple ways to do it, but if you want the folder on the TiVo to be "Cheesy Christmas Movies" then delete seriesId and seriesTitle completely from both .mpg.txt and change your default.txt to

Code:
 seriesTitle : Cheesy Christmas Movies

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #29
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
couple ways to do it, but if you want the folder on the TiVo to be "Cheesy Christmas Movies" then delete seriesId and seriesTitle completely from both .mpg.txt and change your default.txt to

Code:
Ok! Trying that... will be back in an hour and let you know how it goes

Retired
Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #30
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:

Code:
Thank you! That worked, I appreciate you helping me solve the final piece of the puzzle.

Retired