TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
dg1972

tivo 1 with ota converter box via serial?

I know there was some discussion about using a Tivax's serial port, but beyond that, has there been any updates?
dg1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
replaytv
LovesPanda licorice

I have never heard of using the serial port, but you use the IR port and connect it to a DTV Pal digital converter box. I have used it that way.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
dg1972

I am looking to avoid IR at all costs.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
poppagene
User

one of the first directv hd receivers like the Hughes HTL-HD can function as an ota converter box without the need for a directv subscription. As an added bonus, this was one of the last directv boxes that a series one TIVO could control with the serial connection. It may be difficult to find these days, but they used to be easily available on Ebay. The LG LSS-3200A and the Sony HD300 are basically the same hardware and can be controlled via serial connection.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
shwru980r

You'll probably just have to do trial and error to see if you can get a satellite box setting to work with the Tivax. On the Tivax box I have the serial port was the wrong gender for the tivo serial cable. I think you will need a gender changer.

For the S2 I never tried the satellite settings with the Tivax and the OTA settings don't support a serial connection. Even if I could get it to work with Satellite, I wouldn't be able to tune the sub-channels. The Tivax seems to work fine with an IR blaster.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
dg1972

Hey, I appreciate the answers. However, I'm trying to figure out how the discussion got steered towards DirecTV. Oh, now I see. Use the old DirecTV box as just an OTA digital converter. Wow. I have a series 1 Tivo, and want to control an OTA digital converter box. Or find some sort of go-between.
I have a Hauppauge PC card that can receive ATSC, and be tuned via a small program. If I have to go that far, I'll have to find someone to write a program to capture serial commands and move that over the tuning program.
I know this seems a bit extreme, but I got the Tivo before the digital transition for my mother who only understands how to program a vcr. Even a direct cable connection between Tivo's IR out and Comcast's IR in failed so badly it wasn't worth it. And Comcast shut off all their serial to force Tivo users out.

Last edited by dg1972 : 11-09-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
shwru980r

My Tivax box works fine with an IR cable. Try a new IR cable to see if there is a problem with your existing cable. You're still not going to be able to tune the sub-channels, even if you get it to work with an IR cable.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
one of the first directv hd receivers like the Hughes HTL-HD can function as an ota converter box without the need for a directv subscription. As an added bonus, this was one of the last directv boxes that a series one TIVO could control with the serial connection. It may be difficult to find these days, but they used to be easily available on Ebay. The LG LSS-3200A and the Sony HD300 are basically the same hardware and can be controlled via serial connection.
Is it new enough that it did ATSC OTA (digital) rather than NTSC OTA (the now defunct analog)?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Is it new enough that it did ATSC OTA (digital) rather than NTSC OTA (the now defunct analog)?
Yes these boxes have an ATSC tuner.

Here's a link to someone who connected it to a stand alone tivo without subscribing to directv.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/orei...igital_tv.html
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote