TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Amazing Race "Get Your Sexy On" OAD 11/4/12

Kind of a boring ep-except for the Twins STEALING the Rocker's money! Geez! How RUDE! Then Trey and Lexi call them out, but end up going halvsies with them...well, Trey was on the fence, but they told him "He didn't get a vote" ...
GEEZ! But good for the rockers, begging $$ from the locals...they got back in the race.

Then the twins were all happy that Trey and Lexi were going to get Team Number One, because that meant Abby and Ryan wouldn't get it-then Abby and Ryan said that "They are so immature-they can suck it" (Which is so mature! )

I like the Beekman boys, they are cute together and I like them better than the Monster Truck man-the wife is OK but I didn't care for the husband, although he did crack me up this ep with his one and only dance move

The Turkish baths were hee-larious, and gave us a chance to see the Chippendales with no shirts on--AWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAH! They've grown on me!
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was hoping that there would be some mention of the stolen money at the end of the episode. Not telling them they dropped it is one thing, taking it is quite another.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
I was hoping that there would be some mention of the stolen money at the end of the episode. Not telling them they dropped it is one thing, taking it is quite another.
+1

I'm not sure how the theft (call it what you want, it was stealing) of the cash by the twins and the other team sharing it was within the rules of the game. Both teams should have been eliminated in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Bob Coxner

There has to be some penalty for basically stealing an opponent's money. I thought it was despicable. Lexi wasn't much better for going along with it.

I don't know if it's known to the other racers but remember that one of the rockers just got the news that he has stage 4 cancer. That's a death sentence. So, they were stealing money from a dying man. That's real cool.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
There has to be some penalty for basically stealing an opponent's money. I thought it was despicable. Lexi wasn't much better for going along with it.

I don't know if it's known to the other racers but remember that one of the rockers just got the news that he has stage 4 cancer. That's a death sentence. So, they were stealing money from a dying man. That's real cool.
No, the racer does not have cancer -- his dad has it.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
The Turkish baths were hee-larious, and gave us a chance to see the Chippendales with no shirts on--AWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAH! They've grown on me!

My favorite 5 minutes of TAR evah.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
SeanC
ECT

/me sighs.....

I know we have lots and lots of discussions here about what constitutes stealing, but since no one actually took the money from the Rockers possession then it's not stealing.

The Rockers have to be responsible for their own possessions, once they lost control of their money it's free game. Anyone could have picked it up, and even though the other teams knew it was the Rockers money, since the Rockers lost it, the other teams are under no obligation to point it out, or give it back.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
/me sighs.....

I know we have lots and lots of discussions here about what constitutes stealing, but since no one actually took the money from the Rockers possession then it's not stealing.

The Rockers have to be responsible for their own possessions, once they lost control of their money it's free game. Anyone could have picked it up, and even though the other teams knew it was the Rockers money, since the Rockers lost it, the other teams are under no obligation to point it out, or give it back.
I'm sure you'll get a lot of disagreement on this. Since the wonder twins knew that the rockers had dropped the money that makes it stealing IMO. Much different than if they had found a random $100 laying there. They could have not told them, but I think taking the $100 was over the line.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
.......The Turkish baths were hee-larious, and gave us a chance to see the Chippendales with no shirts on--AWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAH! They've grown on me!
If you pause it, at one point the Chippendales were lying down with no clothes on except for something covering across their butts. I didn't realize it would go that far.

Still love this show for its scenery. It was great seeing the Turkish market and continental divide between Europe and Asia.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
I'm sure you'll get a lot of disagreement on this. Since the wonder twins knew that the rockers had dropped the money that makes it stealing IMO. Much different than if they had found a random $100 laying there. They could have not told them, but I think taking the $100 was over the line.
They didn't know whose money it was. They guessed the rockers, but they were not sure. They also thought it could possibly be Abby and Ryan's.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
laria
Librocubicularist

Chippendales in the Turkish bath....

The blond one should have done the sherbert selling task... he is way more gregarious than the one that did it and could have drummed up the business faster. In the end though, I guess it didn't matter.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
If you pause it, at one point the Chippendales were lying down with no clothes on except for something covering across their butts. I didn't realize it would go that far.
I looked VERY carefully at that scene, they were wearing nude colored underwear and were not actually naked.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
I still say all that is irrelevant, they did not actually take the money from anyone, it was found money on the ground. What they knew about the money doesn't matter. It is the responsibility of the money's owner to secure the money, no one else's. This is not about morality, it's not about being a good person, it's about playing a game.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
ADG
Allan

Quote:
I still say all that is irrelevant, they did not actually take the money from anyone, it was found money on the ground. What they knew about the money doesn't matter. It is the responsibility of the money's owner to secure the money, no one else's. This is not about morality, it's not about being a good person, it's about playing a game.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I'll tell you what... if you're driving behind an armored car and the rear door opened and money started flying out and you decided to stop and pick it up and not return it to the authorities - do you think the police would say it's not stealing and you can keep it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
SeanC
ECT

I'm not going to waste time discussing the finer points of other situations. The rockers lost the money, someone else found it, as far as I'm concerned that is the end of it.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #16
laria
Librocubicularist

I was actually a little surprised there was nothing about it at the pit stop. I thought maybe they'd get a penalty or something.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

I was expecting some kind of penalty for stealing the money - and no matter how you color it, it WAS stealing.

If you sat at a park bench and found an envelope containing $10,000, would it not be stealing if you didn't hand it in to the authorities? Same thing, but it was 'only' $100 - AND they knew it was another team that had lost it! Stealing by ANY definition.

I'm glad to see that we're back to destinations that I would actually like to visit after the squalor that was Bangla Desh. They deserved a rewarding challenge like the baths (or the ice cream for that matter).
Old 11-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

It's definitely stealing, the question is if it's against any rules of the game. Seemingly, the answer is no.

I don't like it, but I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same thing. No one hates thievery more than me, but if it's allowed in the game then it's probably the smart move.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
SeanC
ECT

I don't understand how you can start with:

X lost 100 dollars

then

y found 100 dollars

and conclude that

y stole from x.

If you agree that X lost something, then by definition it is impossible for that something to be stolen from them.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
If you agree that X lost something, then by definition it is impossible for that something to be stolen from them.
If you take something that isn't yours, you stole it. Period. It's not necessary to know from whom you stole it.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
To me, the fact that the twins didn't say "Hey, did anyone lose some money?" indicates that they knew whose money it was. What if it had been their passports? Would the girls have picked those up, pocketed them, and laughed about it? I thought it was low, and I'm surprised there wasn't a penalty.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
If you take something that isn't yours, you stole it. Period. It's not necessary to know from whom you stole it.
Well, there you go, I completely disagree with that assertion.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Squeak
An Inert Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
To me, the fact that the twins didn't say "Hey, did anyone lose some money?" indicates that they knew whose money it was. What if it had been their passports? Would the girls have picked those up, pocketed them, and laughed about it? I thought it was low, and I'm surprised there wasn't a penalty.
They said they didn't know whose it was.

Also, maybe they did give it back, but they didn't show that because it took away from the drama of the rockers having to beg for new money.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Well, there you go, I completely disagree with that assertion.
So if you found a bag containing $10,000 in the street, it would be ok if you kept it?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #25
Azlen

Laws vary by state and I have no idea what the laws would be in Bangledesh but in most states if you find money and can reasonably determine who the owner is, you are legally obligated to return it to them or you can be charged with a crime. So what the twins did would be considered stealing in most states.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #26
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Laws vary by state and I have no idea what the laws would be in Bangledesh (...)
I don't think anyone is arguing that the Bangladeshi authorities should have been brought in. The question is whether or not the twins' actions were against the rules of the race (or at least its spirit).

If I were the producers, I'd certainly be concerned that since they had no penalty associated with their actions, it would encourage future teams to engage in such practices in the future. Is that really what they want?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
andyw715

If anything it was poor sportsmanship.

They (sisters) were are there at the same time (which is odd since the rockers had a 2 hour lead, I guess the place wasn't open?), they knew it was either to rockers or abbie's team.
And you could tell by thier narrative they knew it was wrong.

It was nice how generous the people where to give the rockers money though.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #28
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing that the Bangladeshi authorities should have been brought in. The question is whether or not the twins' actions were against the rules of the race (or at least its spirit).
I wasn't saying that the authorities should have been brought in, I was just trying to answer whether or not what they did was considered stealing.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #29
wendiness1
WiiMomma

There should have been a penalty and public shaming on TV. It's stealing, SeanC, no matter how you slice it. If you're standing behind someone in line and their cash falls to the ground that doesn't mean it's fair game. You KNOW where it came from - you are obligated to give it back.

Had the guys been last in by mere minutes, I would have definately made a point of this since the time they spent getting more money cut into their racing time.

I have no respect for the twins now. Nor for Lexi who went along with it. I'm sorry TAR didn't have some sort of penalty. There is always karma, however.

And I think this is the second time Monster Truck smugly thought he was in the lead only to end up last.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #30
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
I wasn't saying that the authorities should have been brought in, I was just trying to answer whether or not what they did was considered stealing.
Then I don't get what Bangladeshi law has to do with anything. The only issues are the rules of TAR and how they're interpreted by the producers.
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote