TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Regina
I've got Jewbs!
 
Regina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,396
The Amazing Race "Off to See the Wizard" OAD 11/11/12

UGH! To Be Continued????????????????????????

And Karma was supposed to bite the Twinnies in the butt, not the Rockers!

Loved seeing the Chippendales with very few clothes - again! "[These floral swim caps] look like Mama's family!"

I feel bad for the Beekmans - that one guy just can't swim....

What's gonna happen??????????????????????????????????
__________________
Calling Illegal Aliens "Undocumented Workers" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists." (I am a licensed Pharmacist.)
Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 18,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
What's gonna happen??????????????????????????????????
I'm guessing the rockers find their passports, the goat herders come in last and it's a non-elim, all in the first 10 minutes of next week's episode.
__________________

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,842
Chippendales in Speedos!
__________________
Miranda
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 2,001
I didn't get the upside for the last two teams to stick together. The other team is what stands between you and staying in the race. I do wonder though if two teams are tied for last place, are they both eliminated or do they both stay in.

It looks from the previews though that
Spoiler:
Abbie and Ryan were doing a task for the next leg, so they aren't going to be eliminated.

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 13,131
Oh goodie, is this a new way for a cab driver to screw a team in a season where cab drivers have already been the reason teams have gone home?
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #6
Tracy
Truly
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 2,483
I liked both of these challenges--the synchronized swimming and the library thing. Some of those people really don't know how to dive!

I totally don't get the "race together" strategy those last two teams are using. I guess I can see the two guys agreeing to it since they would probably lose in a foot race. What do they think will happen if they both step on the mat at the same time? When the boy/girl team finished the swimming so quickly, I thought for sure they would take off.

And here is what I don't get.....

You are at an airport. You are sitting there for....oh, six hours waiting for your flight. Why not continue to talk to airlines, get on the internet and spend that time making friggin' darn sure that you have the fastest flight?
__________________
What's your damage, Heather?
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,943
Hey, someone picked my brains to design the challenges this week! I loved watching the coach/judge's face as people dove (or collapsed, as the case may be) into the pool. Priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
Chippendales in Speedos!
I figured if anyone could learn choreography in a hurry, it would be those guys.

BTW men do compete in synchronized swimming, according to Wikipedia (but not at the Olympics or World Championships). The London 2012 website had a factoid which said synchro started as an event for men in the 1800s. I looked on FINA's website, but it's not organized very well.
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,139
I'm sure they looked at connecting flight options but there probably weren't any from the location where they missed the flight.

Lets say the last two teams jump on the mat the same time (I don't get their strategy either) are there TAR rules for tie-breakers like time on last task?
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
JLucPicard
Registered User
 
JLucPicard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West St. Paul - Viking Country
Posts: 3,338
TC CLUB MEMBER
I can kind of understand how after what, 6-10 hours of a layover, that you may decide to run the race together, but come on, the farmers are going to expect the others to wait for them to complete what's beginning to look like an almost impossible task? Give your OK, release them to continue and take your chances already!

It's not like you aren't consistently coming in nearly last anyway.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #10
Regina
I've got Jewbs!
 
Regina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I'm guessing the rockers find their passports, the goat herders come in last and it's a non-elim, all in the first 10 minutes of next week's episode.
You're no fun!

BTW I tried to learn how to dive in high school, just couldn't do it. Still can't! I felt sorry for the ones who couldn't do it.
__________________
Calling Illegal Aliens "Undocumented Workers" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists." (I am a licensed Pharmacist.)
Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
loubob57
Cancer sucks!
 
loubob57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 24,506
TC CLUB MEMBER
I really thought the cab was circling around like one of the guys speculated.

PSA - "Kids, don't leave your stuff in taxi cabs."
__________________
Well boys, I reckon this is it: nuclear combat, toe to toe with the Russkies.
loubob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,842
I think the goat herders will tell Abbie and Ryan that they appreciate them sticking with them but to go on ahead because they won't know if they ever will finish the task. Either that or the goat herders will decide to take their chances with a penalty for not finishing the task.
__________________
Miranda
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
UGH! To Be Continued????????????????????????

And Karma was supposed to bite the Twinnies in the butt, not the Rockers!

Loved seeing the Chippendales with very few clothes - again! "[These floral swim caps] look like Mama's family!"

I feel bad for the Beekmans - that one guy just can't swim....

What's gonna happen??????????????????????????????????
I hate when I accidently see the previews. I saw them for next week and it spoils parts of what happens.

If the Deep-V Boys get saved by a non-elimination AGAIN, I am going to scream. (Couldn't tell from the previews).

Working together when you know you are the last two teams is STUPID.

It looked like the last two teams were doing the swimming task at the same time the rockers were looking for their passports. That can't be possible can it? Maybe it was possible since the lead teams were held up waiting for the statue garden to open up. If so, they will once again all be bunched up again on the next leg. It's a shame that if a team ever manages to get a good lead on the rest of them it is always wiped away. They might as well wait for all teams to finish each leg and then start them all at the same time the next day.

I was yelling at the Twins that it would be stupid to use the fast forward when you had two teams hours behind you.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
It looked like the last two teams were doing the swimming task at the same time the rockers were looking for their passports. That can't be possible can it? Maybe it was possible since the lead teams were held up waiting for the statue garden to open up.
I very much doubt those things were actually happening at the same time.

They were allowed to enter the gardens at 9:30 am... if I remember right, the goat herders and Abbie and Ryan weren't even supposed to land in Moscow from Warsaw until at least 3, maybe a little later.

We know it was near 4 or possibly after 4 by the time they left the gardens because Abbie said that the library was only open until 4, so they would have to do the swimming task. So, by the time they get to the swim task, get some instructions, do some repititions, it's maybe 5 or 5:30 at least. I don't think it took the rockers 8 hours to do all their tasks and start looking for their passports.
__________________
Miranda
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
David Platt
Manually-adjusted
 
David Platt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 9,899
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I was yelling at the Twins that it would be stupid to use the fast forward when you had two teams hours behind you.
They had no way of knowing how far behind them the other two teams were.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #16
tiams
Registered User
 
tiams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I very much doubt those things were actually happening at the same time.

They were allowed to enter the gardens at 9:30 am... if I remember right, the goat herders and Abbie and Ryan weren't even supposed to land in Moscow from Warsaw until at least 3, maybe a little later.

We know it was near 4 or possibly after 4 by the time they left the gardens because Abbie said that the library was only open until 4, so they would have to do the swimming task. So, by the time they get to the swim task, get some instructions, do some repititions, it's maybe 5 or 5:30 at least. I don't think it took the rockers 8 hours to do all their tasks and start looking for their passports.
Great attention to detail! So the rockers were surely done with all the tasks long before the stragglers got to the swimming pool. I am sure production scrambled to find that cab and then orchestrated it all so that their bags and passports will be returned to them within mere minutes of the the other teams getting to the mat.

I also noticed that when the rockers were standing on the mat, one of them had the clue envelope hanging out of the side pocket of his pants about to fall out. They need to take better care of their belongings!
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'
 
murgatroyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Berkeley CA
Posts: 22,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I also noticed that when the rockers were standing on the mat, one of them had the clue envelope hanging out of the side pocket of his pants about to fall out. They need to take better care of their belongings!
Ya think?

I heard one of them ask the other if he had something, and he said it was in the zipper pocket. The sound was a bit off, like it was dubbed in afterwards. That was a big honking clue that they were about to lose something again. Of course all of the audience who had seen the teasers from last week would already have known, but since I did see the trailer and knew what was coming, that really popped out at me. (Which is why some of us don't like spoilers....)
__________________
"The capacity of human beings to disappoint me is never ending." -- Ereth
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY
 
martinp13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 10,668
TC CLUB MEMBER
Either heySkippy is right or the rockers never find their stuff and are eliminated. If that happens, it will totally freak out the last two teams (and most of us).
__________________
TCF Cruise 3 ... where will we be sailing to next?

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious
 
Maui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Decatur, IL
Posts: 13,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
Either heySkippy is right or the rockers never find their stuff and are eliminated. If that happens, it will totally freak out the last two teams (and most of us).
And will make the second or third team this season done in by a cab driver.

It definitely sounded like they asked the driver to stay, thinking they would not be there long, but we do not know how long it took them to realize they should probably release the cab and went back to do so. Was it 5 minutes? 30?
__________________
Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
jtonra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wilmington,MA,US
Posts: 120
Hard to imagine a cab driver - knowing he was being filmed - stealing their belongings. Also hard to imagine that the production crews don't have some sort of identifying information for the cab and / or the driver.
jtonra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
SeanC
ECT
 
SeanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Someplace
Posts: 9,023
I know I should just keep my mouth shut but:

That their cab left with their stuff is not evidence that the cabbie stole it. To my mind absent other evidence, I would think the cab driver forgot they put stuff in the trunk and left for another fare.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
Tracy
Truly
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 2,483
The next leg is going to have to have a GIANT equalizer to bring all these teams together.
__________________
What's your damage, Heather?
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
kettledrum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
You are at an airport. You are sitting there for....oh, six hours waiting for your flight. Why not continue to talk to airlines, get on the internet and spend that time making friggin' darn sure that you have the fastest flight?
I figure they can only show us so much in an hour long show.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #24
Tracy
Truly
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettledrum View Post
I figure they can only show us so much in an hour long show.
True, but my point is that many of the teams never do find the actual fastest flight. They find one that gets in at 4 AM and seemingly settle for it when there was one that got in at 2. They didn't do an exhaustive search.
__________________
What's your damage, Heather?
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #25
laria
Librocubicularist
 
laria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Seacoast, NH
Posts: 12,842
Those fanny packs look ugly, but if I was on this show, that fanny pack would never leave my person. There is no way I'd leave my passport in my backpack in a cab.
__________________
Miranda
laria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
zordude
WDW Fan
 
zordude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 11,268
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
I would think the cab driver forgot they put stuff in the trunk and left for another fare.
If you ask a cab driver to wait for you, isn't the meter generally running?
__________________
Crotch facing, butt facing, or Anubis style if possible. - jsmeeker
zordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
SeanC
ECT
 
SeanC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Someplace
Posts: 9,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
If you ask a cab driver to wait for you, isn't the meter generally running?
Yes, absolutely, which does make it odd that the guy took off, cabbies hate getting stiffed on a fare.

Maybe they paid the cabbie up to the point they were at and after a few minutes he got confused and left. I dunno, I just think it's a HUGE leap to conclude that the cabbie stole their stuff.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 8,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Yes, absolutely, which does make it odd that the guy took off, cabbies hate getting stiffed on a fare.

Maybe they paid the cabbie up to the point they were at and after a few minutes he got confused and left. I dunno, I just think it's a HUGE leap to conclude that the cabbie stole their stuff.
I'm sure they paid their cabbie, unless productions pays the cabbie to stay at locations. Depending on the task it can take minutes to hours and if I were a cabbie, wouldn't stand dwiddling my fingers if I could spend that time getting more fares. Cabbie probably got a call for another fare and assumed they got their packs from the trunks and already left. Actually I'm surprised this doesn't happen for often.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #29
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I'm sure they paid their cabbie, unless productions pays the cabbie to stay at locations. Depending on the task it can take minutes to hours and if I were a cabbie, wouldn't stand dwiddling my fingers if I could spend that time getting more fares. Cabbie probably got a call for another fare and assumed they got their packs from the trunks and already left. Actually I'm surprised this doesn't happen for often.
Generally, if you tell a cab to wait, you don't pay them and the meter keeps running. This gives the cabbie the incentive to stick around and wait.

I did not understand what the last two teams were doing. Did they think they could force the producers to make it a non-elimination leg if all four of them stepped on the mat at exactly the same time? So if that happens, who gets the Speed Bump? Both teams? Abbie and Ryan were really stupid to agree to that strategy. They should have known that the chances of them finishing ahead of the goat farmers was very high, based on previous legs. And then to stick to that agreement when it should be obvious that the goat farmers are going to be at the synco challenge for quite a while?
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
True, but my point is that many of the teams never do find the actual fastest flight. They find one that gets in at 4 AM and seemingly settle for it when there was one that got in at 2. They didn't do an exhaustive search.
Not that this is an excuse, but if your flight gets in at 4 AM, based on 20 seasons of TAR, you're going to end up sitting in front of some gate or building waiting for it to open up. So I'm not sure it makes much difference at that point whether you get in at 2 am or 4 am.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |