TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #241
newswatcher

Code:
https://twitter.com/DIRECTVService/status/270226175132041216
We'll see...

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #242
DrSmith

Just had a spontaneous HDVR2 reboot moments ago, 3:55 PM Eastern. The unit was not actively recording anything and was in standby mode.
DrSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #243
imaref

Fixed? FIX MY ***. Watching Cowboys/Browns. Cowboys lining up for a field goal try in overtime and BAM. Another reboot. 4:50PM.
imaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #244
ayouch

Just had a reboot at 4:50 p.m. EST while watching (live) one of the Sunday Ticket channels in the 700s. Was not recording anything at the time. (The channel had been the Eagles-Redskins game but had rolled over to pick up the end of the Cowboys game, I believe.)

Last edited by ayouch : 11-18-2012 at 04:03 PM.
ayouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #245
gansemer

Getting much worse

Resetting nearly every half hour.
gansemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #246
lfclark

2:00 PST what effing fix are you talking about
lfclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #247
Mitch85

Also got a reboot. At about 3:55 cst while watching HBO.

BTW, does anyone know why the boxes can not always "Acquire Information from Satellite" after restarting? Is there a fix other than to do another restart? I have an R10 with 6.4a.
Mitch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #248
wbgolfer

Random Reboot Both TIVO DVR's 4:58 PM EST

11/18 Both my Dvr's rebooted at exactly 4:58 PM EST.
I was watching Colts vs Pats live CBS Channel 2 !!
2ND DVR was recording Saints vs Raiders Fox Channel 5 !

This nonsense is getting OLD !!!!!!!!
wbgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #249
ayouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch85 View Post
Also got a reboot. At about 3:55 cst while watching HBO.

BTW, does anyone know why the boxes can not always "Acquire Information from Satellite" after restarting? Is there a fix other than to do another restart? I have an R10 with 6.4a.
Just ignore it and choose to watch with the available information. It may go back to reacquire the info again, but it should go through after that. My three receivers have always done this - even before this reboot glitch started.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #250
ayouch

On the phone with DTV customer service now with a rep who clearly has no clue. Just made me run a system test. After checking with her supervisor, she reports this is STILL a current "known issue" and engineering is still working on a fix. HA!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #251
imaref

Another reboot at 5:02PM, about 2 minutes after the unit had restared form the LAST reboot. You've got to be kidding me...
imaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #252
ayouch

And now at 5:17 p.m. just had another reboot watching the local CBS channel (Jacksonville). Not recording anything. Other transponder on channel 713.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:19 PM   #253
ronsch

Interesting. My DSR6000 has escaped all of these recent reboots and I'm also on NFL Sunday Ticket or Locals.

Just checked and several sub-channels in the 2000 range are no longer in my guide data.

I had deselected them yesterday. Don't know if it means anything since I did have reboots after I did that.

But I am up to 13.5 hours without a reboot.

Last edited by ronsch : 11-18-2012 at 04:26 PM.
ronsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #254
Erin123

We have an R10 which continues to reboot. I fortunately found this website and found out that it wasn’t our receiver, as I have spent the last 2 days researching a replacement receiver….and was just getting ready to make a purchase.

We are in Atlanta, Ga…..and have had 3 reboots today….12:12, 1:15 and 4:58 EST.

I just called Directv to complain….they said they were aware of the problem and offered me 3 free months of Showtime and Reelz channel. I told the representative that I was not interested in that offer….and besides….why would I want to watch a movie, when I know it will be interrupted.

He then offered me a $30 credit on my next bill…..which I gladly accepted.

He also said they were trying to resolve the problem as soon as possible….which means nothing.
Erin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #255
satpro

The reboots have increased triple in the last 2 - 3 days for me, the first week we had 3-4 reboots a day per receiver and all around the same times, two reboots in the morning (around 8 and 9am) and 2 in the afternoons (around 2 and 6pm), we are up to 10-12 reboots a day now at all hours, so it seems that directv has doubled or tripled the reboots and continues to blindly expand whatever is causing the reboots at more times and on more channels.

What is so troubling is the complete lack of consistency from directv, some people say they are aware, others say they have never heard of it, now one twitter rep has the nerve to say that the issue was resolved already. So at this point 10 days out I don't know if I even trust anyone at directv is truely aware of the exact problem that we all speak of, since no one besides customer service agents (even senior ones) has had any interaction with us.

Last reboot exactly 4:55pm eastern

Last edited by satpro : 11-18-2012 at 04:55 PM.
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #256
csadoian

Rebooting

Haven't had a reboot on my Hughes Tivos since this morning (PDT), but since I'm recording both the NASCAR race and the Raiders/Saints game I'm sure they will figure out a way to have my receiver reboot during the most interesting parts of each.

Assuming they *DO* fix this nightmare, I wonder if the fix is going to turn out to be a patch to the Tivo software or a modification to the DirecTV datastream? Developing a patch for the Tivo would probably take longer than just simply modifying the datasteam, assuming they have identified what they did to the datastream to screw up the SD Tivos.

SATPRO: Neither of my two TIVOs rebooted at 4:55pm EST (1:55pm PST my time).

Chuck
csadoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #257
Lucymort

Thanks to ronsch for the tip on reboots. And newswatcher, I agree about best practices, and it's probably why Directv has such a terrible BBB score, although I hear it's improved from their earlier grade of "F" to a "D." This is going to end up being a PR nightmare for them, I believe.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #258
bob343

Quote:
Originally Posted by csadoian View Post
Assuming they *DO* fix this nightmare, I wonder if the fix is going to turn out to be a patch to the Tivo software or a modification to the DirecTV datastream? Developing a patch for the Tivo would probably take longer than just simply modifying the datasteam, assuming they have identified what they did to the datastream to screw up the SD Tivos.
I'd be really surprised if they did a software patch. They'd have to find somebody at the company who's familiar with the code base, since it hasn't been supported for at least a couple years. When you get somebody who has never looked at the code or else hasn't worked on it for a couple years, there's always the chance you will break something else. You also have to go through the formal release process, including lots of regression testing.

Like you say, it'd be a lot easier just to change back what got changed to cause this mess.
bob343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #259
satpro

Has anyone seen a new one of those tivo/directv messages about previews or whatever they are promoting come down in the last week, last sunday I got three and had very few reboots that day, then no new messages since and lots of reboots. That was my original suspect cause.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #260
draiyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Keep posting reset times and any additional information you think that will help DirecTV and Tivo troubleshoot this problem. There are indeed watching this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Or simply post that information here. They are monitoring this thread.

One of mine just reset at 5:15 (central time) on FOX local during the Saints/Rams football game.

It also reset twice during an earlier game on CBS - not sure of exact times but it was the Cowboys/Browns game. One reset early in the game and once in OT.

Yesterday they were resetting all day long during the College games - ESPN/ABC/CBS/NBC and Fox Sports Southwest.

Needless to say the football watchers in the house have had enough of this.

Last edited by draiyne : 11-18-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
draiyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #261
Mitch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch85 View Post
For the past four hours I've had the cable plugged in, but with both tuners on non-existent channels. So far no reboots.
Got a reboot with both tuners on a non-existent channel. So I guess the only way to prevent a reboot is to completely disconnect from the satellite.

I don't know exactly when it rebooted, but it would have been around 5:15 cst, the same as draiyne who was watching Fox.
Mitch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #262
moonchilddave

October 18, 2012 report from Leonardtown, MD (20650) EST

Unless otherwise noted - both Phillips DSR's rebooted at the same time

10:53AM: Reboot - watching a recorded program
10:59AM: Reboot again almost immediately after coming back up to live TV
11:59AM: Reboot - watching NFL Network
4:51PM: Reboot just after Cowboys game on 708, other DVR on Fox 5 (local)
moonchilddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #263
SouthTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by basscatt View Post
In the mean time - I unplugged the phone line to my downstairs unit - that way I will be able to tell if the "reset" signal comes from the phone or through the satellite dish -
It's not coming via the phone line. Both of mine are disconnected from the phone line -I no longer have a working POTS line- but both boxes still have the reboot issue at all hours.
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
SouthTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #264
SouthTivo

Reboots continue on the SDDVR40. Several times last night where it got stuck at "Welcome, powering up!" and again today at 1:52PM in the middle of the F1 race broadcast. grrr

The reboots are annoying enough without most of them getting stuck on powerup. That's just extra insulting and it does not fix itself.

The R10 is still suffering as well but it's connected to a rarely used TV so nobody notices too much.

As noted in an earlier reply, neither of these receivers are connected to a phone line. No longer have POTS here. The R10 will connect via Magicjack if/when it absolutely has to; we connect it only at that time. The SDDVR40 refuses to do that at all. It does not have the same set of dial-in numbers and there's no way to change it. Shrug.
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #265
tbrandom

Both of mine restarted at 2:55 cst today.
tbrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #266
newswatcher

Just had a reboot at 4:24pm PST during Chargers/Broncos game. Had a reboot this AM as well. Now both DVRs are rebooting whereas only one would reboot before. The DTV twitter account is getting flooded with reboot complaints even though they said it was "fixed." Obviously not...

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #267
SouthTivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMHz View Post
Has anybody pulled the satellite cable from their TiVo while trying to watch previously recorded shows to see if the reboots stop? The bad data stream should be cut off so at least you can watch stuff, and then plug the cable back in later. I'm going to try this later when I watch something.
Yes. While troubleshooting this issue, I had my SDDVR40 disconnected from the Sat for close to 24 hours. It did not reboot once during that time.

After reconnecting the Sat feed, it rebooted less than an hour later.
R10 at 300hrs
R10 at 500hrs
HR10-250 at 300hrs
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #268
gsjenkins

I believe 5 reboots today. I have lost count. I was TRYING to watch football. The last time was 5:20 pm central time on one unit and about 5:56 pm on another. The one at 5:20 rebooted twice in a row without ever getting to live TV. This was on CBS local channel 19. I guess I need to call and ask for some credit...

HDVR2 40 hours
Samsung SIR-S4080R 216 hours
Philips DSR7000 176 hours
gsjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #269
satpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTivo View Post
As noted in an earlier reply, neither of these receivers are connected to a phone line. No longer have POTS here. The R10 will connect via Magicjack if/when it absolutely has to; we connect it only at that time. The SDDVR40 refuses to do that at all. It does not have the same set of dial-in numbers and there's no way to change it. Shrug.

When / if there is another software update you can enter your working dial up number as a dialing prefix on the receiver that has the outdated set of phone numbers and it should work.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #270
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthTivo View Post
Reboots continue on the SDDVR40. Several times last night where it got stuck at "Welcome, powering up!" and again today at 1:52PM in the middle of the F1 race broadcast. grrr

The reboots are annoying enough without most of them getting stuck on powerup. That's just extra insulting and it does not fix itself.

The R10 is still suffering as well but it's connected to a rarely used TV so nobody notices too much.

If your getting stuck at Welcome Powering Up instead of acquiring satellites you may actually have a bad hard drive.

Now up to 16 hours without a reboot.