TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #901
deek_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySharon View Post
Does everyones guide load to 100 % after restart ? mine only goes to 96% then fails . it worked fine before the malay
Although over the last month and after a reboot, I have had the problem of hanging when acquiring info, I have not had that problem since "resolution" of the reboot issue. Just wanted to let you know... I'd keep trying, if I were you.
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #902
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
Spouse called DirecTV and told them the credit was unacceptable and they gave him $20 off each month for a year......I suppose this means that to get our money, we DO need to commit to DTV for a year.
Do you mean "commit to DTV for two years or for an extra year," 2 year commitment all for a $20 credit each month for a year?

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #903
Unga Bunga

Mine (DirecTIVO Series 2 RCA 80 upgraded to 1TB) is definitely fixed since I plugged it in at 5:20pm yesterday. I did a manual connect to DVR service from the phone menu before I plugged it in. No reboots.

Is it me or does the program guide seem faster than it has been for months? Overall, from any menu, mine seems zippier since the fix.
Unga Bunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #904
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by newswatcher View Post
Do you mean "commit to DTV for two years or for an extra year," 2 year commitment all for a $20 credit each month for a year?
I think it's just one year, not two. We were unlikely to switch anyway as we were about to upgrade to HDirecTiVos. And if they have another collosal screw-up like this, I think we'd be able to cancel during the crisis and demand they wave any cancellation fee. Absent another problem, it's unlikely we'd switch.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #905
tobyjug

Called CSR yesterday, offered me a $10 credit I said no put me through to retention. Told them that as a 15 year customer I was insulted at being offered $10 credit for 2 weeks of screwed up service, ended up with a $10 a month credit for 12 months plus a free upgrade to TRH22 HD TiVo DVR.
Checked my account today and also got an additional $10 credit presumably the one they are giving everyone.
OK will have a 24 month commitment to DTV now, but my only alternative was dish, no thanks.

Tobyjug

2 x Sony Sat T60's Series 1
1 x DTV HD DVR HR22
tobyjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #906
gilliane

No $10 credit here, no robocall, nothing. So not everyone who called about it is getting the credit automatically, or even any acknowledgement there was a problem (when I called a few days ago I was told they knew nothing about any problem, even after I told the CSR it was a known problem and he researched it).
gilliane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #907
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
No credit here. I did not call in and have grandfathered lifetime DVR service if that matters.
A $10 credit has appeared in my account since the last time I checked earlier this morning.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #908
zorro255

Not solved just rebooted.
zorro255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #909
csadoian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro255 View Post
Tivos (two of them) running fine here. No problems.
csadoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #910
xtra

Got $10 a year plus

I had fallen out of the habit of coming here but I did this week and somehow did not notice this thread... I guess I was looking for a "Welcome Back Screen Problem" thread.

Anyway, I also googled the problem and saw info. on Weakness that said a rebooting problem like I was having was more than likely a hard drive problem. Since my hard drive was getting long at the tooth I figured that was the case and this morning I sent my Sony t60 to them for repair. With shipping and saving of my hard drive shows and setting this was costing me around 200 clams.

Imagine my chagrin when I came back home this afternoon to see the email saying this was a software issue with DTV and was now resolved.

I called DTV Customer Service and finally after dealing with two CS reps who could do nothing I reached a supervisor who said she would give me a 10 dollar credit for a year and 10 off my Sports Package for 6 months. (Background: I have had DTV for about 12 years or so I think and have three receivers and pay for the insurance. I also get the MLB package every year.)

I think that what they are giving me is fair.

I will be checking this forum more frequently. It has been a source of information for a long time.
xtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:10 PM   #911
satpro

I just want to thank everyone that participated and made their voices heard.

Over and Out.
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #912
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro255 View Post
You may have some other problem.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #913
KCobraII

Had another thought to add to the conspiracy theories....

DTV has turned on one of the premium channels as a weekend promo (Starz I think). Since it would of been completely unwatchable and add to the frustration, I wonder if that had anything to do with the timing of the fix. Fix was late Tuesday, Free weekend went live Wednesday morning.

Hmmmm.

As least it does seem to be fixed. I manually restarted my TiVo before prime time started one last time just to be cautious, and it has been stable ever since.
KCobraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #914
bearbig

Mine seems ok with no reboots. Am enjoying free Starz weekend.
I called dtv yesterday and asked for retention. Told him about I was unhappy about the reboots. He gave me a one time credit of $50 and claimed to wave my dvr fees for a year ( only got the $50 in writing).
I did get an e mail telling me of the $10 credit.
Nothing is standard!!!!!
Call you may get a better deal, and if they realize we all can't be bought for $10 they may use more caution when messin with the software.
Oh and durring yesterday's call the agent offered hardware upgrades at least 3 times.
bearbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #915
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucymort View Post
Update: Ten minutes to find out they are still working on trying to credit people for a problem that their service reps still have not been briefed on, apparently. I am not willing to spend a lot of time trying to get a lousy ten bucks for my trouble. Directv has alienated more than a few customers in this process, but I don't believe anyone there actually cares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilliane View Post
No $10 credit here, no robocall, nothing. So not everyone who called about it is getting the credit automatically, or even any acknowledgement there was a problem (when I called a few days ago I was told they knew nothing about any problem, even after I told the CSR it was a known problem and he researched it).
If you call the Customer Advocate number posted earlier in this thread they will give you he $10 credit. You might want to call retention and see if you can get more.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #916
zorro255

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
You may have some other problem.
Going on 4hrs and no reboot on the one in question. I have it set to reboot at 3:30am (Thurs, Sun). I'll give it one more day to see before ripping the harddrive out again.

It was good until this issue started.

It is possible (not likely) that it needed one more hard boot since the fix and it finally rebooted. The rest of the TiVo's seem to be good. This Tivo didn't reboot as offten as the others.

I'll let you know.

FYI. I got the automatic Email and never called DirecTV thinking this issue was a hardware issue.
zorro255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #917
ayouch

Hoping these are anomalies, but I had a reboot at 12:57 p.m. (Eastern) while tuned to CBS local (Jacksonville, FL) for football pregame. Now, at 1:15 p.m. EST, still on CBS local, my picture froze and receiver became unresponsive. Had to unplug from the wall to do a hard reboot. Anyone else? (Based on the Twitter feed, it appears to be a Jacksonville-area problem since mid-day yesterday.)

Last edited by ayouch : 11-22-2012 at 12:34 PM.
ayouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #918
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayouch View Post
Hoping these are anomalies, but I had a reboot at 12:57 p.m. (Eastern) while tuned to CBS local (Jacksonville, FL) for football pregame. Now, at 1:15 p.m. EST, still on CBS local, my picture froze and receiver became unresponsive. Had to unplug from the wall to do a hard reboot. Anyone else? (Based on the Twitter feed, it appears to be a Jacksonville-area problem since mid-day yesterday.)
Others have reported issues with the Jacksonville local channels. It's not your equipment. DirecTV is aware of the problem.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 11-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #919
CentPacRR

A one time $10 credit is certainly not acceptable for two weeks of unreliable service to Series 1 & 2 TiVo subscribers. After two previous calls on the 12th and 16th during which DirecTV denied knowing of the issue I made a third call on the morning of the 20th after finally finding this thread during which the tech support person finally admitted knowing of the issue. After a half hour discussion and my telling the agent that I had been a customer since 1998 and pay $116/mo in service fees the agent agreed to see what she could do to compensate me more appropriately. (The problem had still not been corrected at this time.)

After putting me on hold for a few minutes to consult a supervisor the agent came back and offered me the following: 1) a $10 monthly credit for one year (worth $120); 2) waiver of the $8 TiVo fee for six months ($48); and, 3) all the STARZ channels free for six months ($66) for a total compensation package worth $234 which seems well worth the half hour I spent on the phone with the agent. As what you are offered appears to be up to the agent and supervisor in each case the rule of thumb when you call is not only to be persistent, but ALSO friendly, polite, understanding, and solicitous to the agent who probably gets yelled at all day long by angry customers. These folks are human so a little sugar can go a long way which for me amounted to $234 in additional discounts and extra services much of which probably came from just being nice.

I hope this helps those who have not called yet. Post what you are offered in here for others to use in their "negotiations". Good luck!

Last edited by CentPacRR : 11-22-2012 at 06:07 PM.
CentPacRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #920
flagmaster1

I just had a reboot at 10:30 Eastern time Thanksgiving night. My dad has one last night. I hope this is just a fluke.

Things where working great for over 24 hours after the fix.
flagmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #921
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Hughes HDVR2 reboots in CA

My parents (who are in CA) had been complaining about reboots on their HDVR2 for a little while (started sometime this month). Now they're on a cruise that left on 11/20, the day things were supposedly fixed. At first, I thought it was a failing hard drive and I swear I searched in this area and saw no threads about reboots, at least when they first started complaining.

Anyhow, before I even saw this thread, last night, I pulled the drive (it's a slightly over 3 year old WD 500 gig, out of warranty) and ran WD's full diags on it. No problem found w/the drive. Given this thread, I guess the problem wasn't the drive.

I hope D* gives everyone w/active DirecTiVos credit w/o even asking as I don't have their D* account info so I can't cell for them. And, they're not within cell phone range for another few days.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #922
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post

I hope D* gives everyone w/active DirecTiVos credit w/o even asking as I don't have their D* account info so I can't cell for them. And, they're not within cell phone range for another few days.
They're supposed to credit $10. But some folks have called and gotten better compensation.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 11-23-2012, 01:49 PM   #923
newswatcher

Quote:
They're supposed to credit $10. But some folks have called and gotten better compensation.
I got a call from the Customer Advocate Department this morning and she was responding to my email about the ludicrous $10 credit for 3-weeks of interrupted programming and she just asked me what I wanted. I told her that 3-weeks credit off my bill would be nice. She said OK and applied to additional credit to my account immediately which was nice for them/her to do. That is less than the $10/month credit some got ($120.00), but I am happy right now with the compensation...I just want normal DTV. Let's hope.

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #924
laddanator

Ok, been reading all the pages and hope I didn't miss this. I have two old Tivo Boxes...R10 and SDDVR40 and like all of you, both boxes have been rebooting for a couple of weeks. I saw on page 29 I believe that a fix was released on the 20th and was wondering how this update will be delivered as I have no phone line? I also did a format and clean install on my R10 and lost all my stuff before I found this page. Was going to do my SDDVR today but glad I didn't now. I assume the "fix" happens if I unplug my unit and replug and will download new program guide?

Last edited by laddanator : 11-23-2012 at 02:22 PM.
laddanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #925
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddanator View Post
Ok, been reading all the pages and hope I didn't miss this. I have two old Tivo Boxes...R10 and SDDVR40 and like all of you, both boxes have been rebooting for a couple of weeks. I saw on page 29 I believe that a fix was released on the 20th and was wondering how this update will be delivered as I have no phone line? I also did a format and clean install on my R10 and lost all my stuff before I found this page. Was going to do my SDDVR today but glad I didn't now. I assume the "fix" happens if I unplug my unit and replug and will download new program guide?
It was delivered via the Guide Data in the satellite stream. No phone line should have been needed. But now that you've done a "Clear and Delete Everything" on your R10, you'll need a phone connection for the initial Guided Setup process. Best to start a new thread.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 11-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #926
laddanator

Quote:
It was delivered via the Guide Data in the satellite stream. No phone line should have been needed. But now that you've done a "Clear and Delete Everything" on your R10, you'll need a phone connection for the initial Guided Setup process. Best to start a new thread.

Used IC 6.4a so all I had to do was go into settings and go through the setup, picking what number lnb I have and such and box is working fine and so is DVR and still didn't need a phone line. Thanks for the answer to me question. I will do a guide update on my SDDVR40
laddanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #927
RickySharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayouch View Post
Im in jacksonville area and have same problem with freezing locals and also started rebooting just had another one at 5.25 pm fri . I had no rebooting or guide problems before the meltdown now having trouble loading all guide it fails at 96 % and goes to screen to reload or watch available channels. I got a new harddrive a month ago and had no problems with anything until the meltdown . I dont know what to do now ?
RickySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #928
Snake Plissken

Okay I've read 3-4 pages and so far it sounds like the same issue I'm having but I'm using Comcast. Is this a TIVO software issue? If so, how do I resolve it?
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #929
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Jacksonville local are a known problem, not related to this thread.

Snake, you do not have the same problem as this thread, which had to do with DirecTV guide data. Ask in the Help section of the forum.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #930
RickySharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Jacksonville local are a known problem, not related to this thread.

Snake, you do not have the same problem as this thread, which had to do with DirecTV guide data. Ask in the Help section of the forum.
I did not have the problen until this issue and im still having the restarting issue and the freezes are newly added for me today so i thought they might be connected . Is there a post about jacksonville freezing and restarting ? so if im freezing and rebooting it not a reciever issue because its doing it so bad now i cant watch

Last edited by RickySharon : 11-23-2012 at 06:36 PM.
RickySharon is offline   Reply With Quote