TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #871
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

No credit here. I did not call in and have grandfathered lifetime DVR service if that matters.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #872
mrfixit454

I checked my account late Last night no credit. This morning it is there. Hr10-250
Humax DRT-800 - Lifetime
Tivo Premiere+ - Lifetime
mrfixit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #873
jlseber

My Series 2 has not rebooted since the fix was announced. Hopefully this issue is over.
jlseber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #874
T-Halen

I plugged my antenna cables back in last night and was able to watch programming again during the primetime hours, uninterrupted. What a joy.

Some point during the overnight the unit rebooted one or more times, but hasn't rebooted in the last 3 hours.

I have a $10 credit showing in my online account at directv.com, and received an E-Mail last night saying things were fixed.
T-Halen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:04 AM   #875
split55

None here. Called in and got a $50 credit on Monday before the 30 minute reboots started.
split55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #876
csadoian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
No. Still at 6.2a. Attempts to get it to dial in failed and I haven't been sufficiently motivated to pull the hard drive to do the upgrade. The reboot issue has nudged me closer to either finding an acceptable upgrade option with DirecTV or going to Dish.

I didn't expect the fix for the rebooting to fix my locals, but still hoped for a little while.
A while back my 2 Tivos started having trouble making their daily call. I got tired of being reminded they needed to call in so I thought back to my dial up days on computers and figured I needed to force the connection to a lower speed. I added the prefix:

,#032

to my dial settings and they have been working fine ever since. You might want to try that.

Chuck
csadoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #877
dane101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Your HR10-250 cannot receive any satellite HD programming. Are you using it for antenna HD?
Things working great now with fix.HR10-250 says it's a HD-DVR, is it.Says i'm getting 1080 on front led lights.Just switched to cable news that has 720p,and looks sharper?Those bastards!(DTV)
dane101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #878
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
dane101, you'd have to know what the original source was - you may have your HR10 set to upconvert everything to 1080i (it can't do 1080p.) Also, the HR10 can no longer receive HD from DirecTV, so you are watching SD there.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #879
ensor999

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post
I just logged in to my Directv account and there is a $10 discount listed as follows:

11/20/2012 Advanced Receiver-DVR - Timew/oService ($10.00)

Color me shocked!
Same here. But $10 seems awfully cheap for the aggravation (and lost programs/segments) of a service that was misbehaving for well over a week. The DVR fee is $8, but the entire service delivery was affected not just the DVR portion. And time spent to investigate the problem and chase down DirecTV... maybe they'd like to have a bit less of my business.

Oh yeah, I also find it disrespectful that they've provided no information *nor* any apology, and are downplaying the issue (and us) as affecting "a small number of customers". While I am glad to see the problem fixed, I find myself more annoyed at DirecTV than I have ever been in over 15 years.

Last edited by ensor999 : 11-21-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: more thoughts
ensor999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #880
swabbie

For the record I have 2 series 2 units that have the rebooting problem. both of which have been upgraded with instant cake. I thought this was the problem, until I heard from my neighbor & dad, both of which have unaltered series 2 units. That's 4 series 2 tivo DVRs that all have the rebooting problem, 2 altered, and two unaltered. Non of these have ever phoned home, so they all get the daily nag about making the telephone call. Since they regard me as the "expert" in all things tivo, I'd like to get some kind of resolution to this problem, If I can help, by experimenting, please let me know. As they are, they are unusable.
swabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #881
swabbie

Looking back through the messages, I see messages alluding to a "fix" but no specifics. Can someone spell the "fix" out for me? Thanks.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #882
csadoian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabbie View Post
Looking back through the messages, I see messages alluding to a "fix" but no specifics. Can someone spell the "fix" out for me? Thanks.
The "fix" was done by DirecTV to their Advanced Program Guide. No patches or upgrades were needed for the individual Tivos. Power your TIVOs down, wait 30 seconds, and then power them back up again and they should be fine.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #883
swabbie

Thanks for the info. Do you have to request the 'refund credit' or do they just do it automatically?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #884
derelict

I'm at 17+ hrs uptime since I have plugged my units back in yesterday. Thank goodness they finally fixed it. I did not get the $10 credit but I plan on complaining and asking for some compensation my trouble and aggravation. This episode has me seriously looking for an alternative because I think it is just a matter of time before the next episode happens..
derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #885
csadoian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabbie View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you have to request the 'refund credit' or do they just do it automatically?
They appear to have done it automatically for me, since it appeared on my account without my requesting it. However, I did call in last week and logged a complaint about the rebooting, so maybe that "flagged" my account for the credit.

Chuck
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #886
hdikos

Just got a call from a DTV rep. and here's what she offered...

6 months of free DVR service @ $8 a month
2 months of free Showtime and Starz

We have been DTV customers for over 10 years and called tech support about the rebooting on 11/16. She said they'd been giving most customers a $10 credit, but since we were long standing subscribers, she wanted to give us 'a little extra.'
hdikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #887
dunhamd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane101 View Post
Things working great now with fix.HR10-250 says it's a HD-DVR, is it.
It was when it was released. But it cannot decode MPEG4 encodings, only MPEG2.

Directv changed all HD channels to MPEG4, so it will not receive them. It can still receive Directv SD and OTA HD.
dunhamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #888
ronsch

I just called the customer advocate team and was able to get the $10 credit but nothing else.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #889
dees_1

So far, so good. I had disconnected my sat cables and reconnected late yesterday. No rebooting that I've seen.

No credit either.....I'll give them until Monday and then I'll call and complain about the credit.
dees_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #890
DougF

No more reboots on my units, either. Even though I canceled my service yesterday and have a confirmation number, I'm still getting programming. I guess I'll wait until the Dish install on Saturday to call and tell someone about it.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #891
FD1

And so the "November Nastiness of 2012" is gone... but not forgotten.

DirecTV, a company that I've been a loyal customer of since the 90s -- a company that I've touted to friends and relatives for years -- has revealed itself to be incredibly inept in both customer communication and engineering.

In nearly two weeks of minimizing, footdragging, fingerpointing, miscommunication and disinformation (both to its customers and internally to its employees), DirecTV has proved itself to be another corporation whose first response to a problem that it created is to deny the problem exists. A company which, after having failed to tell its customers that the problem isn't the fault of the customers' equipment, opportunistically tries to upcharge them on new equipment and service packages.

DirecTV's abysmal handling of this incident makes it clear that had it not been for pressure from social media such as this forum, they'd still be dragging their feet on resolving the issue. After screwing up our $100-a-month service for two weeks, offering $10 in compensation just adds insult to the injury.

The difference between DirecTV and our local cable company used to be clear. No more. We're still DirecTV customers -- for now. But the company, by its own shortsighted and inept behavior, has flushed its reputation down the crapper at this household.

This will not be forgotten.

Last edited by FD1 : 11-21-2012 at 01:45 PM.
FD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #892
Lucymort

I am on the phone with a CSR right now, who is trying to tell me only a few customers in California alone experienced this problem, and it started on the 16th. So, they still don't know what they are doing. I got no credit for this whatsover, and they are talking about still having to escalate this issue, as though it were not resolved already. I think I am going back to cable. This is incompetence of the highest order.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #893
Lucymort

Update: Ten minutes to find out they are still working on trying to credit people for a problem that their service reps still have not been briefed on, apparently. I am not willing to spend a lot of time trying to get a lousy ten bucks for my trouble. Directv has alienated more than a few customers in this process, but I don't believe anyone there actually cares.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #894
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
I just got a robocall from DirecTV telling me that they are aware that I may be experiencing some software reboots with my TiVo unit and that they are working on the problem and expect to have a fix today. It also told me that they will be applying a one-time $10 to all customers experiencing this problem for the inconvenience.

SERIOUSLY, DTV?? So two weeks of unwatchable service and you'll be oh-so-kind as to give us a stinkin' $10? Also.....nice of you to proactively call and acknowledge that I might be having a problem AFTER you implemented the fix.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #895
xJohnnyOx

Smile Robo Call

I just got the same robo call. They say it should be fixed today (except I think they got it fixed yesterday as I have not had any reboots since Tuesday Morning).

Its about time after a few weeks of this problem.

John

Last edited by xJohnnyOx : 11-21-2012 at 03:54 PM.
xJohnnyOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #896
deek_man

Just received an email from DTV with an apology and a statement that I would receive a one time $10 credit on an upcoming bill.

Dear XXXXXX,

This is an important message from DIRECTV about your TiVo receiver. We are aware that you may have experienced a software issue that was causing your TiVo to reboot frequently. We want to assure you that we worked diligently with TiVo and resolved the issue yesterday.

Due to this inconvenience we will be applying a onetime $10 discount to your account; this will appear as a credit on an upcoming bill statement.

Thanks again for being a loyal DIRECTV customer. We truly appreciate business.

Sincerely,
DIRECTV
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #897
RickySharon

Does everyones guide load to 100 % after restart ? mine only goes to 96% then fails . it worked fine before the malay
RickySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #898
tivostkhldr

Angry THought the hard drive was bad

$10 doesn't cover my cost for a new hard drive and pata/sata adapter. I thought my hd10-250 was having hard drive issues and my wife was nagging me. Ordered yesterday and will get the new drive tomorrow. ... Didn't need to do that I guess. Plus my wife and kids were being wise and asked how do you know it is the hard drive.... well every other time it was the hard drive. NOT THIS TIME I guess. Arrrrggghhh!!!
tivostkhldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #899
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Spouse called DirecTV and told them the credit was unacceptable and they gave him $20 off each month for a year......I suppose this means that to get our money, we DO need to commit to DTV for a year.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #900
jsharper
rebmeM weN

All 3 of my receivers are s1 dtivos. The whole reboot incident was aggravating enough to the family that I was seriously contemplating switching to Cox after 15 years with directv. Then after it was fixed yesterday and I saw the consumerist article about an automatic directv credit forthcoming, I calmed down and was prepared to just move on and leave things as they are... Then found out today that they are crediting _$10_ for nearly 2 weeks of nearly unusable service. That alone is insulting enough to push me to cancelling and switching to Cox....
jsharper is offline   Reply With Quote