TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #841
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanonymus View Post
THIS IS GOOD NEWS! can you provide a link to an announcekment of his sale or seperation from DirecTV...I still see lots of references to his ownership online.....It would be good to know for sure......
This happened in 2009 but was started in 2006.

http://transition.fcc.gov/transactio...a-directv.html
http://investor.directv.com/released...leaseid=425628
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2009/05/...media-spinoff/
Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #842
texasbrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane101 View Post
Working as of 5:20 Pacific time,But this episode made me realize my HD picture sucks as compared to cable HD from Cox.Receiver??I plugged in cable that my shop had next door for the day,and the HD Cox blew my HR 10-250 with hdmi.??????WTF man!

but your HR10-250 won't receive any DirecTV HD channels..........
texasbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #843
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane101 View Post
Working as of 5:20 Pacific time,But this episode made me realize my HD picture sucks as compared to cable HD from Cox.Receiver??I plugged in cable that my shop had next door for the day,and the HD Cox blew my HR 10-250 with hdmi.??????WTF man!
Your HR10-250 cannot receive any satellite HD programming. Are you using it for antenna HD?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #844
rogerasdf

almost 5 hrs without reboots
Just got reboots on some tivos but not all.
Running 6.4.a on HR10-250 units
rogerasdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #845
pat4jay

Got an email from directv:

"Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Both DIRECTV and TiVo were made aware a number of TiVo receivers were intermittently resetting themselves. Our engineers worked diligently to resolve this issue and a fix was implemented today, 11/20/12. We thank you for your patience and appreciate your continued business while we worked to resolve this matter as expediently as possible.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Advocate Team"
pat4jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #846
notanonymus

Were doing OK here too! the hours are starting to add up....They admit they had a problem, and claim they implemented a fix earlier today..and so far the ol' Sat-T60 is doing well...got to surf some news, [ yeah, bith left and right bias ] and plan some movies and programs to record.. Glad this is over....
Jen
notanonymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #847
Recoush

well after a 10 min power off both r10 have recovered well been on for an Hour now and recorded 2 shows 1 hour and 1min each .Hope this is a good sign
Recoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #848
rogerasdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerasdf View Post
almost 5 hrs without reboots
Just got reboots on some tivos but not all.
Running 6.4.a on HR10-250 units
Now all other Tivos (3 of 5) rebooted. 3 are in a like none responsive state.. Very Very none response to do anything.

Update 4 out of 5 tivos now in stupid mode. can not do a thing with them.
rogerasdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #849
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerasdf View Post
Now all other Tivos rebooted. One is in a like none responsive state.. Very Very slow response to anything.
You might experience one more reboot until the APG is fully updated. But it should be working fine by now.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #850
notanonymus

Thanks for the references....real data..I LIKE real data, and I stand 100% corrected. THANK YOU for taking the time to put this togehter....I really appreciate it!
Jen
notanonymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #851
WallyLA

Wink

Several hours with no reboot here in LA!!!! Now I still have to deal with no pbs since I am running 6.2 and have no home phone line...might just keep the extra Hughes box on Line 2 hooked up for a while...oh yeah, thanks litzdog911...very helpful
WallyLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #852
flagmaster1

I would be interested in seeing the "incorrect code" that was fixed by users in a forum discuession too----or are you refering to that Signal 11 thing?
flagmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #853
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post
My units have started rebooting everyday at the same time, One is rebooting at 12:55pm and another is rebooting at 7:55pm eastern, both are 6.4, has been happening 2 days in a row now another rebooted at 5:55pm, Anybody else start seeing this since 11/7/12 ?
See what you started?! Great OP and discussion. Thanks, satpro. Sure brought new people out of the woodwork and to the community, and actually brought me back. Whew! Hope I never go through this again! It's a shame to be so obsessed with television and technology. Think I'll read a book tonight...

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #854
NoAngels

Same

We've been dealing with the resetting issue along with all the rest of you for the last several weeks. It started out with only the H10 unit giving us trouble and then the H20 started to have the same issues. Very annoying to say the least!

I'd pretty much decided the equipment had reached the end of it's lifespan until I stumbled on this thread today.

A not so quick call to DTV regarding an upgrade went fairly well though. Since both receivers were only analog output I had been intending to upgrade to either the new Genie unit/clients or to the new TiVo receivers. Otherwise, if the price was too high, I was planning on switching to Comcast or Uverse and becoming a "new" customer again at a later date. DTV's initial pricing for upgrades were a joke of course. After continually asking if it was possible to set a disconnect date, which I was actually quite serious about, they finally offered me the new Genie and a single client for $19.99, including new dish and installation and $18.00 off my programing for 12 months.

I'm on the hook for the next 24 month but who cares since I've been a customer since 1998. I'll probably keep the Tivo units going for a spare bedroom and the Rv for now.

Both units appear to be stable again as of tonight as well. I powered both down and let them call in after the reboot. Hopefully that will still be the case tomorrow.
NoAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:56 PM   #855
iiigoiii

Quote:
UPDATE: The rep has clarified that the credits will be proactively applied to affected customers’ accounts."
fat. hairy. chance.

i spoke with customer service today. the first level knew nothing about the problem. only after i told him that it was a known problem and 8 more holds did he volunteer a 'supervisor', who offered 50% discount off 3 months of some package. i refused, and told her i've been inconvenienced by reboots and missing recordings for almost 2 weeks.

she told me there was nothing else they would do for me. since today was my first call in to support, somehow that meant to them that i just noticed the problem, and will have been inconvenienced less than 24 hours by the time it is resolved.

i asked if she was SURE this was the appropriate corporate response to a decade-long customer, with a problem they can verify on their own will have affected me for 12 days.

she said yes, and i hung up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newswatcher View Post
From consumerist.com:

"DirecTV Says It Will Credit Accounts Of Customers With Rebooting Tivos
November 20, 2012 By Chris Morran

Earlier today, we told you about the angry DirecTV customers with Tivo DVRs that are rebooting on a regular basis. The satellite service has since responded to our request for a comment regarding timeline and compensation for affected users.

A rep for DirecTV tells Consumerist:

A small number of customers who have our older TIVO Standard Definition boxes are indeed experiencing issues with frequent rebooting which involves the software, not the box itself. We are working diligently with TiVo and expect the issue to be resolved today. We know this has been inconvenient and very frustrating and will credit affected customers as soon as possible.

UPDATE: The rep has clarified that the credits will be proactively applied to affected customers’ accounts."

http://consumerist.com/2012/11/20/di...booting-tivos/

iiigoiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 PM   #856
methodicjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by woracan View Post
I think Wil was referring to a post in the thread found by googling "Series 2 DTivos rebooting"
Woracan, thank you for the proper response and also for the details

For everyone out there who wanted the technical details, here:

Source Location: (Another site)
Poster: woracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by woracan
Running 6.4a on HR10-250 and per suggestion of another person, I disconnected Sat inputs and have not had a reboot while disconnected. I may setup an automatic switch to connect the Sat input in the early morning once per day for about a half hour. I read about someone else who has been able to avoid the reboots by disconnecting Sat inputs at 28 and 58 after the hour so only a minute of a show is missed rather than 4 or 5 minutes for a reboot.

It appears to be crashing in tivoapp at sub_BF6A70 specifically at 0x00bf6a90 where it is attempting to read memory at 0xC($a3) when $a3 is zero. That is not an address that the kernel allows to read so it crashes and reboots. Hopefully I'll be able to figure a way to patch this to avoid the reboots.

methodicjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 PM   #857
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Plugged in my DTiVo after seeing the fix seems to have been implemented. Twice now it has gone through "Welcome. Powering up..." to "Almost there." and then the green light has gone out and the TV has shown "No signal" with snow....

Attempt #3 now. We unplugged it between reboots when it wasn't recording.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #858
methodicjon

FYI to others:

RCA DVR80 DirecTV TiVo Series 2 6.4a-01-2-121
200gb HD with PTVNet

It was unplugged from 8:00-18:00 today (11/20/2012) and has been up for 6 hours without a reboot.

I feel like the issue is truly resolved. Thank god for DirecTV and TiVo for resolving this. I'm fine with sticking with DirecTV despite this issue. They fixed the issue for some really old hardware, which they could have easily not done, even if it upset some customers.
methodicjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #859
Idearat

Mine's been up and running for hours without a reboot now. My faint hope that their fix would also give me back the missing locals was dashed though.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #860
imaref

I just logged in to my Directv account and there is a $10 discount listed as follows:

11/20/2012 Advanced Receiver-DVR - Timew/oService ($10.00)

Color me shocked!
imaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #861
csadoian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post
I just logged in to my Directv account and there is a $10 discount listed as follows:

Color me shocked!
Same here. I have TWO Tivos, so I guess that's $5 credit each for my trouble.
csadoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #862
Smee

I'm good as well. The receivers have been going for 9 hours without a reboot. I let them have it this morning after it got worse. This issue also made it on the Consumerist which would be a PR disaster for them if this continued much longer.

http://consumerist.com/2012/11/20/my...seems-to-care/

Smee
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #863
Smee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
Mine's been up and running for hours without a reboot now. My faint hope that their fix would also give me back the missing locals was dashed though.
Idearat, is your TiVo running 6.4 software?

Smee
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #864
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee View Post
Idearat, is your TiVo running 6.4 software?

Smee
No. Still at 6.2a. Attempts to get it to dial in failed and I haven't been sufficiently motivated to pull the hard drive to do the upgrade. The reboot issue has nudged me closer to either finding an acceptable upgrade option with DirecTV or going to Dish.

I didn't expect the fix for the rebooting to fix my locals, but still hoped for a little while.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:51 AM   #865
ayouch

I have received the same $10.00 (time without service) credit on my DirecTV account online. Will be interested to see whether they have applied this credit to every customer with TiVo service, or only those with R10 units, or perhaps only those who called in to complain.
ayouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #866
jgattian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat4jay View Post
Got an email from directv:

"Thank you for your recent correspondence.

Both DIRECTV and TiVo were made aware a number of TiVo receivers were intermittently resetting themselves. Our engineers worked diligently to resolve this issue and a fix was implemented today, 11/20/12. We thank you for your patience and appreciate your continued business while we worked to resolve this matter as expediently as possible.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV Customer Advocate Team"
The problem started November 8, 2012. Taking 12 days to correct the problem is not something to brag about. Your engineers are s. . . . l. . . . o. . . .w
jgattian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #867
kinmd

Reboot while watching recorded sprogames

My R-10 rebooted twice last night after the fix was done, while I was watching programs recorded before the fix. Does this sound right or might it be my unit. I might try and see if they'll give me a deal on a new Tivo
kinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #868
allan
I survived the Mayan

Whew! Looks like it's finally fixed. My yesterday afternoon shows were chopped into pieces, but it's been fine since then.

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #869
mitchgobears

No $10.00 credit on my account online. Time to call customer service.
mitchgobears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #870
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post

Color me shocked!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayouch View Post
I have received the same $10.00 (time without service) credit on my DirecTV account online. Will be interested to see whether they have applied this credit to every customer with TiVo service, or only those with R10 units, or perhaps only those who called in to complain.
None on mine either and I did call in.