TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #691
khooke

Just turned on to see if the issue was resolved last night. 7:26am = reboot.

Oh well.
khooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #692
Erin123

Doug.....where you able to get a dual tuner dvr with dish....so you can record 2 stations at once. Thanks.
Erin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #693
DougF

I got the Dish/Hopper system. Dual tuner plus Prime Time Anytime. If you don't use Prime Time Anytime, then I believe it's three-tuner.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #694
Continuity Nut

Called Retention regarding this issue. They credited me one month service and since I am a long term customer they also gave me an $18 credit a month for a year. No one should have to pay for unreliable service. In the meantime I can stream the programs I would have recorded. So yes, it's not as convenient, but it is an option.
Continuity Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #695
tobyjug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuity Nut View Post
Called Retention regarding this issue. They credited me one month service and since I am a long term customer they also gave me an $18 credit a month for a year. No one should have to pay for unreliable service. In the meantime I can stream the programs I would have recorded. So yes, it's not as convenient, but it is an option.
Is there a special number for retention?
tobyjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #696
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch85 View Post
This has been on my mind as well. Moreover, if the problem is in the data we already received, once they fix the problem we might need to wait another 10 days for the reboots to stop.

I'm not saying that's going to happen (I doubt the problem is in the stored guide data), but at this point I don't have much faith in Directv.
Yeah - My idea about the guide data, if correct, kind of implies the drawn out recovery unless they actually release a 6.4b and 3.5e to make the software compatible with the data. Then on the Series 1 side you have a lot of people like me running large drives with Todd Miller's kernel that may or may not need tweaking for a 3.5e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbgolfer View Post
Note to all members - please look at Post # 592 RUSSG --
notice that 2 week ago these were in fact very random reboots.
I can personnaly attest to that as I posted my issue at that time.
I added in my post that reboot were once or twice a day.
NEXT - look at #592 ---- starting yesterday the reboots began to occur at :28 and :58 !!! In other words exactly 30 minutes apart.
Question - how did this issue that was first reported a few weeks ago as 1 or 2 per day. Go to every 1/2 hour?
ANSWER - Directv must be making changes. How else could the service degrade from what we experienced in the beginng to what we have as of 11/20/2012.
PERHAPS they are attempting to drive the series 2 folks over the brink! JUST SAYING
See post #669
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #697
Erin123

Thanks Doug
Erin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #698
satpro

This will redefine the word " train wreck ,"

DIRECTV has let this go on for so long and it has now melted down completely on them,

Words can no longer describe this situation.

copying info to this page.

http://twitter.com/DIRECTVService

Any one have a real listing for a mr Mike D White in El Segundo?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/michael-white/10/291/244

email the local and national media about this thread

directv contact info from: http://www.lead411.com/Michael_White_1257079.html

John Norin - Vice President Technology and Communications Architectures Development, phone - 310-964-5000,

Jon Carmichael - Senior Manager IT Operations, phone - 310-964-5000

newswatcher,

his real email address might be mdwhite@directv.com

from http://www.directvpresscenter.com/contact/

Darris Gringeri
Vice President, DIRECTV Public Relations
(212) 205-0882
dagringeri@directv.com

Robert Mercer
Sr. Director, DIRECTV Public Relations
(310) 964-4683
rgmercer@directv.com

Jade Ekstedt
Senior Manager, DIRECTV Public Relations
(310) 964-3429
jlekstedt@directv.com

Cara Brugnoli
Senior Manager, DIRECTV Public Relations
(212) 205-0887
cmbrugnoli@directv.com

Meghan McLarty
Associate, DIRECTV Public Relations
310-964-5528
mmclarty@directv.com

also more people at

http://investor.directv.com/officers.cfm

corporate carpet these people by calling and leaving voicemail or emailing them.

Contact media outlets and tell these people you are contacting your bank or credit card company to protest the charges for this month unless they issue automatic refunds to all directv tivo users for their programming charges since November 7.

This has gone far beyond bad customer relations!
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #699
jgattian

Quote:
Called Retention regarding this issue.
Is there a separate number for Customer Retention or did you ask to be transferred while calling Customer No Service?
jgattian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #700
deek_man

A reboot every 30minutes all morning. I'm beginning to wonder if this will ever be fixed.
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #701
sumannchoo

Another reset. DTV tech support, because I wasn't feeling bad enough...known issue, no time frame, blah blah blah. Last night I attempted a corporate email blast, but no matter how I tried to figure out the corporate email configuration, most of the emails came back undeliverable. Here's a list of the emails that worked, they are a combination of elected officers and board members. I did get an email to CEO Michael White to go through.

Michael White
mdwhite at directv.com

John Murphy
jfmurphy at directv.com

Larry Hunter
ldhunter at directv.com

Heywot Bitew
hzbitew at directv.com

Patrick Doyle
patrick.doyle at directv.com

Romula Pontual
romula.pontual at directv.com

Ralph Boyd
ralph.boy at directv.com

Ellen Filipiak (Customer Advocate)
eafilipiak at directv.com

sorry for the "at", I'm new here and I couldn't post email addresses. I hope this helps everyone. I'm so frustrated I'm getting ready to use my non-dvr receiver that I keep in the bedroom just so I can watch TV.

And....the Tivo has reset AGAIN!
sumannchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #702
CentPacRR

I have two DirecTV TiVo DVRs .. an HDVR2 which I have had for about eight years and a rebuilt HR10-250 which I have had for about 14 months -- and both started the spontaneous rebooting issue on November 7. At first the reboots came at about twelve hour intervals but are now rebooting every ten minutes or so. I have called DirecTV twice in the last week telling them that the issue appeared in both machines at the same time and therefore I believed it was not a problem with the machines. I also advised DirecTV that a similar rebooting issue seemed to have occurred with Series 2 machines in October-November, 2010 based on several older forums I found in here.

On both calls the agent told me that DirecTV was not aware of any current issue (the most recent call was yesterday) and they insisted that the problem must be a failing HDD. After trying all other potential fixes I ordered a new HDD yesterday from Weaknees even though I thought this was still not the real cause.

This morning I found a page on Weaknees dater November 15 stating that this is a nationwide issue with Series 2 machines and that it started about November 7. When I found that page (which links to this forum) I called DirecTV back and when pressed the agent admitted to me that this was a known issue which their "engineers are working on" and would be fixed "as soon as possible". I expressed my unhappiness that I had not been told this the first two times I called (I asked specifically if there was such a know issue in both earlier calls) and that I hoped that solving this was a matter of top priority for DirecTV.

I also advised the agent that I expected that I be given credit for all fees for service (which are over $100/mo) from November 7 until the issue is resolved. I was told that this would be done but that I should "call back" when it was fixed to "formally request" the credit as it would not be done automatically. For that reason I would suggest that every subscriber call DirecTV (1-800-531-5000) today to put on record when you first noticed the issue and demand that you be credited for every day it persists until fixed. I plan to call back every day now until fixed for an update on the issue and to remind them that I expect to be compensated for the loss of service for which I have already paid. (I have been a customer of DirecTV since 1998.) As with some others the agent also tried to sell me on an "upgrade" to a DirecTV machine for which I would then have to pay a higher fee and be roped into a contract. (It has always been my policy to purchase own every piece of equipment outright such as satellite receivers, satellite DVRs, internet modems, etc. and stay away from leases and having to ever return equipment.)

UPDATE: I called "customer retention" after writing the above and asked what they would do to keep me as a customer because of this issue. After long discussion they agreed to waive the TiVo fee for six months, give me STARZ for free for six months, and reduce my monthly bill by $10 for a year. Presumably this will be in addition being given credit for the period of time that the service has been essentially unusable which began on November 7.

I was also told that this was an issue caused by TiVo (as opposed to DirecTV) and that it might require a software upgrade (I currently have 6.4a which is the current version) to resolve it. To get that (if that is what it takes) requires the unit to be connected to a phone line and makes daily calls as this is how it would be delivered. The time frame I was given for the fix was "within a week". I still plan to call daily for an "update" of the fix.

Last edited by CentPacRR : 11-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.
CentPacRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #703
khooke

I had a post on the top of DirecTVs FB page and it was deleted within about 20 minutes. Nice to see they have someone working hard to maintain their FB page. Seen all the responses in the comments about their shows though, people mentioning the rebooting... i guess its kinda funny.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #704
tiger5

Will a tivo unit work with dish network.
If so, which one would be the best that's not HD.
Thanks,
tiger5
tiger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #705
pat4jay

Reboot

Quote:
The tech rep told me that I should just read a book or stop watching tv until it is fixed--that's what she did the last time it happened and it took 28 days to fix.
I have had my TIVO since 97 and this has NEVER happened before.
pat4jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #706
kinmd

IF I were Dish Network, I'd pounce on this situation. Maybe offer deals to all who switch from Direct Tv
kinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #707
khooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat4jay View Post
I have had my TIVO since 97 and this has NEVER happened before.
There's a comment in this thread somewhere about an issue I think they said in 2010 with a link to a similar thread discussing the issue. I don't think that last time it impacted all DirecTivo models though, certainly didn't affect us last time.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #708
Lucymort

They are getting absolutely slammed over on the Directv service twitter feed today, and people are irate. The heat is finally being turned up on them. They claim they are now making their engineers available to Tivo. Does this mean they were not doing that before? Good grief.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #709
Continuity Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
Is there a special number for retention?
I just called the Customer Service number and when prompted I said, "Retention."
Continuity Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #710
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
finally just unplugged mine until they think they have it resolved.
Me too.

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #711
jgattian

Customer Retention

Quote:
I just called the Customer Service number and when prompted I said, "Retention."
Thanks
jgattian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #712
T-Halen

Even though I've gone on record with DirecTV via E-Mail about the problem, I decided I better call as well. The person that took the call hadn't heard of the problem before now and offered to swap out the unit. I just made sure my account was noted about being affected and hung up.

After the last reboot (a few mins ago) I disconnected the antenna cables to prevent further reboots. I don't have anything scheduled to record until Wed evening, and can easily pick up that content via the Internet if necessary.
T-Halen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #713
bstrohl

Last night and even this morning I was having frequent random resets. Now we seem to be in the 1/2hr pattern.

T60= 9:55, 10:25, 10:55, 11:25
DSR6000= 9:59, 10:29, 10:59, 11:29
bstrohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #714
pat4jay

What

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmv View Post
Well I unplugged last night at 9:45p (yesterday 7 resets)
Plugged in TODAY at 5:15A Tues 11/20
Time now is 9:15a

NO RESET yet

This of course is not a complaint... just wondering

Location Colorado
Directv Tivo R10
Series2
R52180
SW VERSION 6.4a01-2-521
Haven't been hooked up to phone line for 900+ days
Just what did you unplug last night???
pat4jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #715
Fonxprt

This is an email I just sent to DTV

Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:27 AM
To: 'dagringeri@directv.com'; 'rgmercer@directv.com'; 'jlekstedt@directv.com'; 'cmbrugnoli@directv.com'; 'mmclarty@directv.com'
Subject: After 13 years I am cancelling my DTV service

Mr. Gringeri,

I have been DTV customer for over 13 years. I am cancelling my service because of two reasons I wanted you to know about.

1. I am one of your thousands of customers that is experiencing there older series 1 & 2 Tivo’s rebooting every 30 minutes. This problem has been going on for over a week and the response from DTV that we are aware of the problem and working on it is no longer acceptable to me.

Just a little PR advice.

• Keep us more informed about your efforts and update it once a day.
• Let us know that you are working on this problem 24 hours a day.
• Let us know what the problem really is and I might be more understanding. I feel like I am in the dark and there is a possibility that you might not ever resolve the problem, and if that is the case you should let us know immediately so we can decide to upgrade to new DVR’s or change providers.
• Send us a message on our Tivo’s, you must be able to send a message to all Tivo legacy users at the same time telling us what is going on.

2. I lost my local channels on my 4 Tivo units 2 - 3 months ago like many other DTV customer, despite having my units connected to a phone line my Tivo’s did not update to software version 6.4 required to get local channels. When I called into DTV customer service they told me that they are aware that the TiVo’s with 6.2 software or not updating to 6.4 software and you are working on it. I had to purchase new hard drives from another company with Tivo 6-4 software installed to get them working again. This is unacceptable and I find it difficult to believe that you could not solve this problem with software updating in 3 months. The other day I finally got a DTV representative to admit they are not working on getting the older units to update to 6.4

Based on these two issues, from my prospective it appears to me that DTV has decided they no longer want to support the older legacy Tivo units. If that is the case, DTV should have sent us a mailing that says after this date we are no longer going to support legacy Tivo’s and here are your options.

Summary

This is a PR nightmare for your company and due to a lack of information from DTV to me as your customer, I have decided to switch providers after 13 years. DTV has done nothing to make me feel like a valued customer and you are trying to resolve my problems. Every company has failures and I can live with that, I can’t live with the feelings you’re you not really trying to resolve my problems. It is because of that feeling that I no longer want to DTV customer.

Bryan
Fonxprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #716
lmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat4jay View Post
Just what did you unplug last night???
I unplugged the plug in my R10 DTV TIVO unit so there was no electricity to it.
As stated in my original post I have NO IDEA how this has stopped the problem or why.
I don't know if it is regional (Colorado) or what.
I was just posting that this is my situation, and having the machine unplugged for 7 1/2 hours seems to have done something. I have not disconnected the sat cables.

Wish I could tell you why it is not resetting but I can't I have NO IDEA.

Guess when I uplugged from the matrix when I reconnected maybe it was a different spot ?

Last edited by lmv : 11-20-2012 at 12:04 PM.
lmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #717
newswatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmv View Post
I unplugged the plug in my R10 DTV TIVO unit so there was no electricity to it.
So how did this stop your resets for the time period you show?

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #718
FD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post
This will redefine the word " train wreck ,"

DIRECTV has let this go on for so long and it has now melted down completely on them,

Words can no longer describe this situation.

It'll be a major train wreck if DIRECTV lets this continue through the Thanksgiving holiday. It's been a tradition for our kids to watch the Thanksgiving Day parades, culminating in seeing Santa at the end of the Macy's Parade, as a kickoff to the holiday season -- we're starting to prep them for the twice-hourly powerups. And we're already giving our Thanksgiving guests a heads up what to expect during the bowl games.

Speaking of turkeys, the reboots continue like clockwork at :28 and :58 past the hour.
FD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #719
newswatcher

You all might find this interesting:

http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/DIRECTV

Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (1TB Upgrade) living room)
Hughes SD-DVR40 v6.4a (bedroom)
newswatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #720
Unga Bunga

No resets all night with satellite cables unplugged. Tested it again just now with one cable on Sat 1. As reported earlier, reset happened three minutes later than previously, at 12:01pm EST.
Unga Bunga is offline   Reply With Quote