TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #511
gadgetmann

:28 after the hour club!!

Woohoo! Me too. Our 9:28 Mountain, 11:28 Eastern reboot was the fourth time in less than two hours, less than 30 minutes of run time!
gadgetmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #512
madddmaxxx

I posted of directv facebook page today about when was this goig to be fixxed. the post was immediatly hidden and I received a reply a short while later:

I'm so sorry about this. I recommend that you contact customer service at 1-800-531-5000 about this issue! Thanks ~ Sasha

.................wow
madddmaxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #513
pat4jay

The genie is available. The lease price is $299 and then 8 or 10 per month/ The whole house option will also require wireless units C31 (I think) and that whole thing for 4 rooms initially costs $600 m/l (including Genie).
pat4jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #514
Metamorphic

My wife just got off the phone with Directv. She talked them into a 2 week credit to our account. Of course she got the usual assurances that they're working on the problem.

I'm sure if everybody calls in for a credit they will work faster.
Metamorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #515
madddmaxxx

I'll bet you $1,000 in 1 min...............................
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #516
warnmar10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAME View Post
Just registered. This is crazy. I guess they are trying to kills us off.
I don't believe that. If they wanted to get rid of us it is a simple matter of announcing that on date certain we will no longer support your hardware and here are your options. Companies do it all the time. That is how Intuit forces me to upgrade my my Quickbooks Pro. If you're still using Windows XP your time is running out. If DTV did that it would make me sad and I'd probably abandon DTV but I would understand and respect it.

I love my dual tuner TiVo but the computer from which I am posting this is connected to the WWW by Verizon Fios. Verizon routinely begs me to install Fios TV. I think it is time to consider options.
warnmar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 PM   #517
Bigizzaroo

Crossing fingers....

Can we make through this half-hour?
Bigizzaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 PM   #518
satpro

11:58 pm reboot, never forget!
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #519
madddmaxxx

................and there it is.

I'll be calling in the morning.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #520
gansemer

Can someone tell me what happened at the end of every tv show for the last 2 days?
gansemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #521
FD1

8:58 p.m. PDT, both the Phillips and the HR10-250 rebooted -- the Phillips about 1 minute later than the HR10-250.
FD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #522
Bigizzaroo

Nope...all hope is lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigizzaroo View Post
Can we make through this half-hour?
This has gone from bad to worse to ridiculous
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #523
methodicjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodicjon View Post
For those who have them rooted / zippered / jailbroken (pick your term here), to patch tivoapp binary, or something similar, to NOT reboot on this error??
FYI anyone out there thinking what I was...

killall -9 ApgManager

was a bad idea. I guess other processes noticed and boom, TiVo restart.
methodicjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #524
moonchilddave

Quote:
Originally Posted by madddmaxxx View Post
I posted of directv facebook page today about when was this goig to be fixxed. the post was immediatly hidden and I received a reply a short while later:

I'm so sorry about this. I recommend that you contact customer service at 1-800-531-5000 about this issue! Thanks ~ Sasha

.................wow
I hadn't thought about their FB page... So I posted:

"Any chance of DirecTV publicly acknowledging the issue of CONSTANT reboots with their TiVo units?! The service is pretty miserable when you can't even watch live TV for 30 minutes straight. Reboots like clockwork are coming in on the 8's and are most frequent during primetime. This has been going on for 13 days now and all we get is an "it's being worked on"?! No idea or time frame for a fix?! Guess it's time to start contacting the media outlets - maybe that'll help speed things up when it's plastered all over ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, etc..."

They got rid of that message pretty quickly - if only their engineering department worked that quick.
moonchilddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #525
tas3086

just spoke with support

The current support theory is that all the restarts are due to the techs, pushing down new software to the receivers, and that a restart is required to get each piece to install.

Any reasonable truth to that statement ?
tas3086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #526
methodicjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gansemer View Post
Can someone tell me what happened at the end of every tv show for the last 2 days?
They were all actually dead, they were together in a non-denominational church they made so they could all be together and all walked into a happy bright light at the end.

THUD...... LOST
methodicjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #527
bgreen5
Lion mauled my Mac

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I don't have numbers. I meant to say that it is a small percentage of users. Most people aren't running old hardware that should have failed years ago. How many people on a Series2 DirecTiVo have a functional original hard drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrod View Post
I do.
I do too.

(2 of my 3 DTiVo units have working original drives. I upgraded the 3rd unit to a larger capacity years ago.)

At any rate, it seems you're implying that all these Series 2 DirecTiVo units are all on life support or something, held together with bailing wire and duct tape.

Not the case for me anyway. Maybe I'm lucky, but my TiVo hardware have behaved more like the major home appliances of yesteryear (remember when refrigerators would last 30+ years?) than the cheap disposable consumer electronics gear of today that everybody expects to reach obsolescence before the battery needs to be recharged.

YMMV.

Last edited by bgreen5 : 11-19-2012 at 11:19 PM.
bgreen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #528
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
Decided to call tonight. They wanted just under $600 to upgrade me to whole-home DVR.

Chatting with Dish right now. I expect to be a former DirecTV customer here shortly...
Just finishing up with Dish right now and scheduling installation. Assuming I don't get a failure on WAF, I'll be cancelling with DirecTV in the morning. They just lost a customer of almost 15 years.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #529
imaref

Wow. I lost track of the number of reboots the past few hours. If it weren't so ridiculous it would almost be funny. BUT IT'S NOT.
imaref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #530
Unga Bunga

Longtime TIVO addict signing in for the first time. I'm also going through the painful resets at 28 and 58 minutes after every hour.

Something to consider before doing anything rash. The fact that TIVO engineers are now able to make our systems reliably boot at predictable times probably means they have identified the problem and are verifying it. It also probably means a fix is underway. That said, rollout could be days away. I hope not. But that's how it goes for new software rollouts in the custom electronics business. Take it from someone who designs high-end custom electronics for a living. It ain't easy. I'm really glad I'm not in their shoes, but I know the feeling.

BTW, thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Prior to finding this, I was convinced my TIVO was on the fritz again.
Unga Bunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #531
xJohnnyOx

Angry Add me to the list as well

I have had my R-10's since 2004. First unit failed last year and was replaced by DirecTV with a non-TiVo unit.

My other R-10, which I think is superior to the DirecTV replacment, has also started the constant reboots. I have not been keeping a time log, but will to see if it matches up, but after reading this thread, seems clear cut that DirecTV is screwing is customers again with a untested firmware upgrade.

I will also call in to DirecTV.

John
xJohnnyOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #532
Bigizzaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post
Wow. I lost track of the number of reboots the past few hours. If it weren't so ridiculous it would almost be funny. BUT IT'S NOT.
<Nods>
Old 11-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #533
ohgena

yeah this stinks

Long, long time Tivo lover here. I'm happy to have the shared insight this group provides. Have def noticed the patterns you all have called out re: 38 and 58. Can't enjoy TV like i used to , which was admitedly too much. So if there aren't that many of us then maybe we should try some guerilla tactics like barraging the email addresses provided and calling them to tie up their phone lines keeping their agents on the phone as long as possible so they can enjoy the blessed events along with us. Demand compensation ask to speak to supervisors and tech support. I've contacted my local consumer affairs reporters at every major network in the SF Bay area and the Chronicle. Contacting networks tomorrow to inform them dtv is preventing me from enjoying their programming. If we're going down, let's go down fighting. Football fans, make some noise, you're paying for those sports packages aren't you? I used the 'contact the dtv president' page on their website and sent a follow up email to the dtv exec who will supposedly receive it - ellen filipiak whose email is eafilipiak. Keep fighting the good fight then find your best plan B. UVerse was a nice product which may make a comeback in my household. Love my TiVo, hate dtv.
ohgena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #534
SHAME

Just got off the phone with Jonathan in tech support. He says they just found out about the problem a few hours ago. I called him a liar because I talked with a guy named Matt early today and he said the engineers had been advised a few days ago. Seems everyone in the work room gets a different memo.

I asked for a credit. They best they could do is a $5 credit for six months if I sign up for automatic payment. I declined. Then he switched to sending me new dvrs. I declined. Told him if they don't get it fixed by tomorrow morning I was switching to cable.
SHAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #535
Lucymort

Unga Bunga, we all hope you are right. Even if you are, Directv has handled this whole thing so poorly it's hard to believe. I also have sympathy for those who are trying to fix this - it can't be easy.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #536
tas3086

All you have to do is backout the change that caused all this mess. They better have a plan for that. Every new install should have a backout capability created at the time the fix goes in. That used to be SOP.
tas3086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #537
nuthkavi

Reboots at 828pm and 858pm (Pacific).
nuthkavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #538
Unga Bunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAME View Post
I asked for a credit. They best they could do is a $5 credit for six months if I sign up for automatic payment. I declined. Then he switched to sending me new dvrs. I declined. Told him if they don't get it fixed by tomorrow morning I was switching to cable.
I suggest you give it a few more days. If your cable provider sucks half as bad as Comcast does where I am, you'll thank your lucky stars you waited for a fix. I'd rather pay kids to do a puppet show in a hollowed out tube set than switch to cable.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #539
Mitch85

Quote:
Originally Posted by tas3086 View Post
The current support theory is that all the restarts are due to the techs, pushing down new software to the receivers, and that a restart is required to get each piece to install.
As a software engineer, albeit not an expert in Linux, I find that theory very unlikely. Most problems could be patched in a single restart. Even if they needed to patch some sort of loader that patched the rest of the system, it shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 restarts. Moreover, why would they push out the updates at X:28 and X:58 during primetime rather than 1 AM?

The more likely explanation is that the techs are grasping for straws.

BTW, I've had my satellite unplugged for over a day (watching recorded TV) with no reboots. I was really hoping I could plug it in tomorrow night, but at this rate I doubt I would want to risk it. It's amazing how much active there has been in this thread vs a week ago. The problem is definitely getting worse, not better.

This can't be good for the TIVOs. Even if the hardware isn't affected, I would think there would be a risk of data corruption. The chance might be small, perhaps 0.1%, but if a system is restarting a dozen times a day, that's going to start hitting people. Perhaps it already has, given the (small) number of people who are reporting green screens.
Mitch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #540
Unga Bunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucymort View Post
Unga Bunga, we all hope you are right. Even if you are, Directv has handled this whole thing so poorly it's hard to believe. I also have sympathy for those who are trying to fix this - it can't be easy.
Oh, I agree 100%. DirecTV management has been an epic fail regarding this situation. Heads need to roll.