TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 AM   #301
notanonymus

Does anoyone know anybody in one of the major network news departments? This would make a nice 'company that cant fix its service' story on international TV...the only way anything gets pressured in the modern world is by huge media story. BBC should run with this, another story of how American business is so screwed up...

One other thing, we should be contacting all the stations and networks that use DirecTV for distrubution...they pay DirecTV millions and millions of dollars to carry shows for US to watch....If the guys paying out the big dollars were aware that DirecTV is screwing up our ability to watch their products, heads might roll! Money talks too.....what has the culture come to when only big money pressure or bad major media exposure are the only kind of pressures that a company will respond to?....Customers....Huh? What are they?
Jen
notanonymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #302
ronsch

Well my long run finally ended last night with a reboot at 23:45 ET that it seems many others experienced as well. That chopped off the last 8 minutes of The Mentalist.
Then had another one a short time ago at 02:55. This last one would have been with both tuners on local CBS and my Chinese channels are still deselected so I guess they had nothing to do with it.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #303
ADent

Here are my reboots since 1:55pm today:

Nov 18 20:55

Nov 19 02:54:59, Nov 19 04:52:55, Nov 19 05:56:07

Those are times in UTC, so subtract 7 hours for local time

I have a DSR6000 on a round dish with a Dual LNB.

I have a longer list of reboots (aka resets) here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.ph...37#post3132037 .
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #304
bstrohl

This morning I had a first. My DSR6000 reset while I was in the season pass manager, 11/19/2012 8:13am EST.
I haven't had a unit reset while I was actively in the system menus.

We have a HDTiVo on antenna that we are using for all network shows now. All other shows we are recording on both DirecTiVos multiple times in hopes that we always get a watchable broadcast. My sister has resorted to Hulu and computer streams most of the time. We are finding ways around this. If DirecTV doesn't get this fixed really soon, they will have become obsolete.
bstrohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:13 AM   #305
allan
I survived the Mayan

Mine's still doing it. Last night I was watching live and it rebooted. 7:50PM and missed the end of the show. They seem to happen within 5-10 minutes of the hour or half-hour, either before or after.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #306
satpro

Several reboots already 7:55am, 10:48am reboot.
satpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #307
pat4jay

Service data vs reboots

Oct 25 is the last time service data was downloaded? Why haven't more recent versions been loaded - could this relate to the reboots?
pat4jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #308
satpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanonymus View Post
Does anoyone know anybody in one of the major network news departments? This would make a nice 'company that cant fix its service' story on international TV...the only way anything gets pressured in the modern world is by huge media story. BBC should run with this, another story of how American business is so screwed up...

One other thing, we should be contacting all the stations and networks that use DirecTV for distrubution...they pay DirecTV millions and millions of dollars to carry shows for US to watch....If the guys paying out the big dollars were aware that DirecTV is screwing up our ability to watch their products, heads might roll! Money talks too.....what has the culture come to when only big money pressure or bad major media exposure are the only kind of pressures that a company will respond to?....Customers....Huh? What are they?
Jen
Try retweeting the news channels about the directv service twitter page.

http://twitter.com/DIRECTVService

This is the exact reason to never enter a contract with any provider.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #309
charmead

Reboots

Glad I found this thread, was shocked that all three of my tivo's seemed to be failing at the same time. I sure hope they get it fixed soon. I even wiped all data from one of them and set it up from scratch, still rebooting.
charmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #310
satpro

Just had 2 messages come up after the last reboot "Starz Thanksgiving free trial," like we would be able to watch with all the reboots, and "Play free games," not even relavent to this type of receiver.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #311
satpro

After just checking the messages, only 10 minutes after it just reloaded from the last time now another reboot at 11:15am. Looks like they are really working to stop it after 12 days.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #312
tiger5

I just email them this:

As a VERY LONGTIME customer I wanted to let DTV know about my unit resetting (rebooting) several times a day for no reason. There are many that are having this same problem. It started a few days ago and has reset as many as 4 times per day for no reason. I understand you are working on the problem according to our online tivocommunity.com/tivo.

If you would like to read some of the complaints, below is a link that will take you to it.

I know this could have been resolved by now, I’m sure the techs know what to do if upper management would give the OK.

Come guys, do the right thing. This has gone on long enough.

Thanks,

Charles K*******

318-***-****

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=495885
tiger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #313
tiger5

After the email, I called and talked to tech support.
Told them of the problem, and that I thought that they could have resolve the problem by now. He assured me that they are working on it.
He also mention that the tivos are old and that they have newer models now.
Told him I was not interested in a newer one, wanted to stay with what I have.
I also told him that I thought that this was done on purpose.
Everyone needs to call and email them.
Email at:

CustAdvocFollowUp@directv.com

Call at: 1-866-785-5536

tiger5
tiger5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #314
deek_man

Reboot last night and at 11:55 am EST like clockwork! This is ridiculous.
deek_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #315
bingoldsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrod View Post
What I did do last week was unplug the DVR during one of the reboots and let it sit for 60 seconds and then plugged it back in. We ended up going about a week w/o a reboot. That ended on Saturday, but still I thought it was a good sign.
Please explain the EXACT thing you did as described above. You say "unplugged DURING one of the reboots [resets]. What does that mean in the timing and sequence of what you did in relation to the receiver blinking out and starting a reset.

Personally, I can't figure how it could accomplish anything if you didn't pull the plug until after the event which caused the reset in the first place. But I don't have anything to loose by fiddling with mine.

Thanks,

Brian

[ EDIT ] In continuing to think about the possibilities of the above, it comes to mind that perhaps the automatic reset chops off some data that would otherwise come through if the unit was reset manually at some other time than when it happens on it's own. Our power went off for about three hours last night (Pacific Coast Storm - Central Oregon Coast), and I left the UPS Battery backup unit off until this morning when I got up (again). I'm keeping an eye on it to see what happens from then.

[ EDIT #2 ] Well at 10:13am PST - 40 minutes after my last edit - the reset happened again. I unplugged the receiver for a couple of minutes just after that happened and then let it restart. I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by bingoldsby : 11-19-2012 at 12:19 PM.
bingoldsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #316
ayouch

Thumbs down "Known" issue?

And the reboots begin again today for me. Just rebooted at 12:18 p.m. while watching live TV (Fox News). Nothing was recording on either transponder.
ayouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #317
Lucymort

It is pretty clear this is a low priority for them, and that they are using it as a marketing opportunity for their newer units. Absolutely amazing, but we customers apparently have little clout. I don't find the alternatives to them all that palatable, but Directv deserves to lose customers over this.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #318
csadoian

It's been 11 days since this problem first surfaced and the resets just keep on coming. DirecTV is either totally clueless on how to fix their own equipment, or they just don't give a damn about their customers. Some, like me, have been DirecTV customers for a long time (myself, since 1994), but that doesn't seem to matter.

After talking it over with my wife we've decided to give DirecTV 3 more days to fix this problem, or we will move to another service. In my area (near Fresno) I have Comcast, Dish, OTA and internet. I hadn't given the internet much thought, but last night I drug out my laptop and attached it to my TV so we could watch last week's episode of Castle on Hulu. It was actually pretty good, aside from having to deal with commercials again. The picture quality was comparable to the SD DirecTV Tivo I use.

I was thinking maybe a combination of Internet TV and OTA. Sure would cut down on my television bill (currently around $90/month from DirecTV, and that's just with a basic package). My daughter, who lives in Oregon, has always gotten her "TV" via the internet and is very satisfied with it.

Maybe something good will come of this DirecTV debacle ....

Chuck
csadoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #319
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucymort View Post
It is pretty clear this is a low priority for them, and that they are using it as a marketing opportunity for their newer units. Absolutely amazing, but we customers apparently have little clout. I don't find the alternatives to them all that palatable, but Directv deserves to lose customers over this.
Not true. DirecTV engineers are working with Tivo on a fix. Obviously it's taking too long, but to suggest it's purposely a "low priority" so that customers are forced to switch to newer non-Tivo DVRs is silly. And note that the newer THR22 HD Tivo does not have this problem, so it's unique to the older Series 1 & Series 2 DirecTivos. Hopefully it's fixed soon.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #320
Lucymort

litzdog 911, I made no suggestion that it was purposeful. I stated that they are using this as a marketing opportunity, and from what many have said on this site regarding their experiences, it's obvious that they are. Others have directly stated that they believe this is a conspiracy to get people to upgrade, but I did not. Perhaps it is not a low priority (but the length of time it took to get this on their radar screen was many days, wasn't it?), but it is most certainly not a high priority. It is getting worse on a daily basis for most of us. The way they are handling this when people call in for assistance suggests that they are not aware, or are being obtuse, about how much this is actually going to hurt their brand. It should not take requests to speak to a manager to get them to own up to a known problem at this point.
Lucymort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #321
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat4jay View Post
Oct 25 is the last time service data was downloaded? Why haven't more recent versions been loaded - could this relate to the reboots?
This appears to be a guide data issue and the guide data is updated constantly via the satellite signal.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #322
SteveDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booman70 View Post
I have two units doing it now thought I was having a problem with my sd-dvr40 in the family room but now my sons hdvr2 is also randomly rebooting doubt I have two drives going out at the same time
I've been having this issue for the past 10 days or so on both my Tivo boxes (both old). I've checked and they both reboot at the same time.
SteveDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #323
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
So...we've been considering upgrading to the HD DirecTiVo for the past couple months. Am I correct that the new units are NOT having this problem?

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #324
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post
So...we've been considering upgrading to the HD DirecTiVo for the past couple months. Am I correct that the new units are NOT having this problem?
That's correct. I hate to see you reward DTV for this but it looks like you could really use a new one.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #325
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsch View Post
That's correct. I hate to see you reward DTV for this but it looks like you could really use a new one.
Enh.....if they gave us a REALLY good deal on something we were gonna do anyway....

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #326
pat4jay

Sent mail to Directv

I just sent the following to DIRECTV customer advocate

"I am a fairly patient guy, but this TIVO reboot multiple times per day is getting to me and according to the forum I am in hundreds of others too. Come on – DTV has always given rapid tech service, but this has gone on for almost 2 weeks now.
Lets go, lets get-er done"

Nothing there so eloquent as to spur them to rush out and fix it, but perhaps if we all just send something (not vulgar or aggressive) they will get the idea of the scope of the problem.
pat4jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #327
jlseber

Count in another Series 2 DirecTivo

My Hughes Series 2 DirecTivo started rebooting last week as well. Tried replacing drives and power supply until I called Weaknees and found out about the broader problem. I hope this is resolved soon.
jlseber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #328
derelict

I'm glad I found this thread... Just this week I finished updating 2 of my 3 Samsung SIR-4080R DirecTivos, going from 6.2 to 6.4a (due to the lost locals issue). I put fresh brand new hard drives in, installed from a virgin Instantcake image. Installed, cleared and deleted everything. So I have no shows recorded, no season passes, nada. Then my brother calls me and tells me the tivos seem to be rebooting randomly. First thing I think is that I just wasted money for new hard drives and paying for the instantcake image (which I feel gouged for paying $40 for), and that my hardware is on the blink. Thinking I may need to repair or replace a failing power supply. This is really frustrating to know that all my headaches for the last number of months are all due to "improvements" that D* has been making...
derelict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #329
panictivo
Registered Fool

Deja vu -- That incredible feeling you get that things have happened before

Deja vu -- That incredible feeling you get that things have happened before.

Thread from October 2010: DirecTivo rebooting daily - started this week

Litzdog911 was a valuable contributor to the October 2010 thread, too. Although, he thought it was a hard disk problem at first.

The current reboot frequency makes my DirecTivo unusable. Most recordings are broken up into multiple pieces with gaps between the pieces.

My email to DirecTV got the standard reply that engineering is working on this "rare" problem.

I am glad I found this thread before I started disassembling my DirecTivo.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #330
ronsch

It seems there is always some problem or other around the holidays every year.