TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #61
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've never had that problem with mine. They always sit flat on hard surface or are at a slight angle on a soft surface. Plus the rounded bottom makes it much, much more comfortable in the hand than other remotes.
Absolutely.

Quote:
And sometimes I will hold the slide remote for long periods of time for shows that have irregular commercial breaks.
I frequently hold it the entire time I am sitting watching TV, sometimes for hours, even though I fairly rarely watch anything with commercials. It's comfortable enough there isn't much reason to sit it down, and it's much more convenient when someone needs to go to the bathroom or misses a bit of dialogue.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #62
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I've never had line of sight problems with my Harmony One. As for the TiVo remotes, their design is horrendous...a rounded bottom?! Come on...it sits on a flat surface WAY more than it is in my hand.
That's just idiotic. My SCUBA gear and my telescope do not fit very well in any closet, and they spend most of the year unused. Buying or giving a good rating to astronomical or SCUBA equipment merely because it stows well would be moronic. Rating the overall performance of any item based primarily on its non-functionality when not in use is just foolishness.

Quote:
It's always rolling onto its side or some such nonsense. Worst design EVER.
So go get a brick from the local hardware store. For you, obviously, that would be the best design ever.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #63
aaronwt
HD Addict

Hey!!! I didn't say that. err... type that.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #64
Dan203
Super Moderator

The bottom of the remote isn't even round. It has a small flat area specifically so it sits flat on a flat surface.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #65
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

And slides off of anything with a slant.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #66
morac
Cat God

Might I suggest not buying slanted furniture then.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #67
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Might I suggest not buying slanted furniture then.
Yep, mine's big and fluffy so I don't slide off either....

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #68
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Yep, mine's big and fluffy so I don't slide off either....

Scott
Okay, but what about the texture of your furniture?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #69
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Kids finally gave me my slide for my birthday... I like it. My TiVo 4 tuner is so zippy, but I am not sure how long it will take to adjust to the tiny size of the remote. It feels so weird after using the full size peanut for 12+ years.

I wish I had a 2nd one for upstairs.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #70
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

New style TiVo Slide remote coming this year
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #71
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
New style TiVo Slide remote coming this year
Do you have a picture?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #72
celtic pride

My wife and i prefer the slide remote over the the regular tivo remote,But i must admit both of us have small hands so thats why its easier for us to hold and use.P.S. i also use my harmony one remote.
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #73
rhettf
R3T1CAL

Quote:
Do you have a picture?
TiVo recently sent out a survey about a remote that can make a sound if you lose it. The bulk of the survey was previewing and rating possible nosies the remote would make when you want to find it. I suspect thats what will be replacing the discontinued slide.
rhettf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #74
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettf View Post
TiVo recently sent out a survey about a remote that can make a sound if you lose it. The bulk of the survey was previewing and rating possible nosies the remote would make when you want to find it. I suspect thats what will be replacing the discontinued slide.
How do you get it to make the noise?

How does it know you've lost it?

Is there some reason other than that to spend the extra money to make the remote a receiver (and an RF one at that) as well as a transmitter?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #75
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

Is there some reason other than that to spend the extra money to make the remote a receiver (and an RF one at that) as well as a transmitter?
Bluetooth has always supported two-way communication. Just stick a button on the front of a new tivo model (or repurpose the one that's already there on S4 models{and others?} by holding it in longer or double clicking), and send a command to the (hypothetical) new remote to start making a sound of some sort. Piezo-electric buzzer wouldn't cost much, it might not even be overly expensive to add a proper speaker and store some wave-forms in the silicon.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #76
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

It sounded like something they were going to release along with a future TiVo. There would be a special "page" button on the TiVo itself that you would push and it would send a signal to the remote for it to start making noise. Not sure how it would work with current TiVos unless they gave you a USB dongle with a button on it to push.

Dan
Old 01-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #77
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
or repurpose the one that's already there on S4 models{and others?} by holding it in longer or double clicking
I don't think that's possible. The button already has two functions. Clicking it changes the output resolution and holding it causes TiVo to reboot. Double click might work, but there's a chance of accidental resolution switch if they do that. And if they do anything with holding it longer then there is a chance of accidental reboot.

Dan
Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #78
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
..holding it causes TiVo to reboot...
Dan
Really? I didn't know that and I'm kinda surprised that's something they'd include on purpose. I'd actually prefer if it wasn't possible to reboot that easily.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #79
innocentfreak

Quote:
Really? I didn't know that and I'm kinda surprised that's something they'd include on purpose. I'd actually prefer if it wasn't possible to reboot that easily.
I believe they do it as a way to do a soft reset if it isn't responding to remote commands. Also it is similar to a PC reboot option where you have to hold the button for a few seconds so it isn't really easy to accidentally reboot it.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #80
morac
Cat God

Quote:
You have to hold it down for a considerable amount of time (at least 15 seconds) so it's not something that's easily triggered by accident. The format button could be a "page" button if the time out for holding it down to trigger that was a few seconds.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #81
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Points taken that it's not 'that easy' to accidentally reboot, and it might come in handy on occasion. But the remote gets misplaced far more often than the TiVo locks up, so if I were given the choice of only one function or the other, I'd pick remote-page.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #82
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Points taken that it's not 'that easy' to accidentally reboot, and it might come in handy on occasion. But the remote gets misplaced far more often than the TiVo locks up, so if I were given the choice of only one function or the other, I'd pick remote-page.
My point is it could still do both. Hold it down 2 seconds and it triggers remote find. Hold it down 15+ seconds and the box reboots.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #83
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
My point is it could still do both. Hold it down 2 seconds and it triggers remote find. Hold it down 15+ seconds and the box reboots.
That'd work for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #84
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes but if they did that then your remote would beep for 15 seconds when you were trying to reboot. That would be confusing and annoying. If this remote is compatible with the current hardware I bet there is some sort of USB dongle with an extra button on it.

Dan
Old 01-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #85
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Yes but if they did that then your remote would beep for 15 seconds when you were trying to reboot. That would be confusing and annoying. If this remote is compatible with the current hardware I bet there is some sort of USB dongle with an extra button on it.

Dan
If I were implementing it, the remote wouldn't start beeping until releasing the button after holding it down between 2-4 seconds(the lights could flash to indicate you're inside the 'beep window'), and it could simply signal the remote to beep continuously until I tapped the button again(or tapped a remote button to indicate it's been located). It would have to keep beeping when released, so I would actually have a chance of hunting around the room/house and finding the remote.

You're probably right about a button on a dongle, but gah, I hate dongles
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #86
morac
Cat God

Quote:

Dan
How often does the average user reboot that way though? I'd wager never.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #87
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
How often does the average user reboot that way though? I'd wager never.
Average user... probably never. Beta tester... a LOT!

Dan
Old 01-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #88
morac
Cat God

For what's it's worth, I had an old tube TV that had a find remote feature that triggered any time the TV was turned on using the power button on the TV. It was supposed to trigger if the volume button was pressed. Needless to say, that was really annoying.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #89
celtic pride

I know the DISH HOPPER DVR has a button on the box that you can press when you cant find your remote control,which cause your remote to start beeping. My guess is that tivo would do the same thing on a new tivo box,Or at least i would hope they do this on all future boxes.(I've misplaced my remote a few times over the years and wish tivo could add the ability to find my remote by pushing 1 button).
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #90
csm10495
Badoop Badoop!

If you want a quick laugh... Amazon has the slide for $100
http://www.amazon.com/TiVoSlide-C002...rds=tivo+slide The best part is free shipping with prime. Who's in for 10?
Netflix 1 DVD At A Time - Unlimited Streaming
csm10495 is offline   Reply With Quote