TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #31
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
I never thought it was worth it so I never bought it.

I've sometimes used this app on my iPhone instead. It works fine. Just enable network remote and turn your phone/iPod Touch to landscape.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pean...416909676?mt=8
But then you have to look at the remote to see it. I tried a touchscreen remote back in the early 2000's to use with my HD recordings from my HTPC. I found that a full touchscreen remote was not good since you always needed to look at the remote to use it. I found that a combination of a touch screen and hard buttons seemed to be the best, like a Harmony One remote. Or a remote with all hard buttons like the TiVo slide. With hard buttons, you don't need to look at the remote for many of the buttons presses.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #32
farmermac
Super user

i got one a few months ago and it never performed well, compared to the glo peanut remote, which is the gold standart of all remotes.

The bluetooth text entry was spotty, it felt too short & too heavy. No thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #33
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I wonder if this will be replaced by a remote without a keyboard or something? Maybe a TCP/IP remote?

Even though I never use the keyboard on it, I love my Slide Remote because of it's small size and the fact that the TiVo responds very quickly to it (much faster the the IR remote). Yes I could use the phone or table app, but that's not really practically for continuous use.

hmmm- is there any kind of wifi technology that could replace bluetooth with some sort of reasonable battery life?
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #34
KurtONeill

Ok I bought the slide remotes because I have my TIVO hidden in a closet in my bedroom. It is sometimes a pain in the rear anyway because the bluetooth signal all of the sudden decides it won't read it right away. How can I use my TIVO out of sight without using the bluetooth? If there is a way? Thanks
KurtONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #35
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtONeill View Post
Ok I bought the slide remotes because I have my TIVO hidden in a closet in my bedroom. It is sometimes a pain in the rear anyway because the bluetooth signal all of the sudden decides it won't read it right away. How can I use my TIVO out of sight without using the bluetooth? If there is a way? Thanks
There are a number of possibilities. One is an IR extender. Most of these simply have an IR receiver with a built-in RF modulator, paired with an IR transmitter with a built-in RF demodulator. The IR receiver goes out in front of where you sit. The IR transmitter goes in the cabinet with the TiVo (or whatever). There are a number of different makes and models.

Here is one that is wired, rather than wireless. If it is not too far from your viewing area to the cabinet, this might work, and is probably less prone to interference.

This one works by replacing one of the batteries in the remote with a little transmitter.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #36
flynhawaiian

I think if it was $30 everyone would buy one. On the note, they have the refurbished ones up on the tivo site for $39.00
flynhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #37
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
I think if it was $30 everyone would buy one. On the note, they have the refurbished ones up on the tivo site for $39.00
I wish I had purchased my last one when they were $37.

The refurbished ones also have shipping and Tax charges which can bring the total cost to $50 or more. I just ended up getting one from Best Buy. And since I used my Reward Zone dollars, there were no taxes involved. Although I did pay the $11 for the two year extended warranty, just in case. I figured since the remote cost zero out of pocket I might as well get the warranty.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #38
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wish I had purchased my last one when they were $37.

The refurbished ones also have shipping and Tax charges which can bring the total cost to $50 or more. I just ended up getting one from Best Buy. And since I used my Reward Zone dollars, there were no taxes involved. Although I did pay the $11 for the two year extended warranty, just in case. I figured since the remote cost zero out of pocket I might as well get the warranty.
I'm not sure how useful a 2 year warranty is when there's nothing to replace yours if it breaks.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #39
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I'm not sure how useful a 2 year warranty is when there's nothing to replace yours if it breaks.
If they can't replace it or repair it you get the purchase price back in Best Buy credits. At least I think that is still the case. But there could also be a replacement from a different company by then anyway.

Heck, with my luck, there will be a replacement from another company in 61 days that is cheaper and better than the slide remote that TiVo had.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #40
Johnwashere

I got mine right when they came out and loved it. The past 4-5 months the tivo missed half the button presses on it. The tivo would light up yellow like it saw it but did nothing. It got so bad that I had to use my old remote. Maybe a better one will come out.
Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #41
SugarBowl
Roamio Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtONeill View Post
You can use the iPhone/ipad/android tivo app.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #42
jrtroo
User

It may help out to open it up and see if the cable has become unseated. I happened with mine after falling on a hardwood floor.

Just unscrew and pry the base off. Be careful with the magnets when putting it back together, and when snapping back together, start with the side at the top of the keyboard.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #43
morac
Cat God

Before opening up the remote, the first thing I would try is replacing the batteries.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #44
Johnwashere

Quote:
Before opening up the remote, the first thing I would try is replacing the batteries.
Ive tried that a few times and the keys still dont register or register very late.
Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #45
Resist

I hope Tivo is coming out with a better remote instead of just discontinuing the slide. I like that the slide is small yet feels solid and that it uses AA batteries because they last longer than AAA batteries. Oh and the keyboard is convenient too!
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #46
MichaelK

something else rf is key for me- hopefully TiVo feels the same way about a replacement if they are making one.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 AM   #47
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Just out of curiosity, why don't you use the peanut remote that's part of the TiVo app instead of this one?
I forgot about that.

The Peanut app w/keyboard came out WAY before that functionality was added to the TiVo iOS app. I do recall trying the network remote feature added to the TiVo app (well after I started using Peanut) but I totally forgot about it.

I guess I don't need to use the Peanut app anymore...
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #48
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

So these units are starting to sell out at Best Buys in my area. Only one local store had any left. My kids have decided to buy one for me for my birthday next month and scooped one up today. Still $60.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying one when they were $38 on Amazon a few months ago. Now they're $100 (from Weaknees)

I'd like one more but may have to make due with just one.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #49
Dan203
Super Moderator

I started using mine upstairs in my office. I was having some line of sight issues with the harmony that was causing frustrating missed commands so I decided to try the Slide to see if it would work any better. It works pretty good. The stumpy size is a little odd and I keep using the play/pause "wheel" as if it's the arrows/select "wheel" in the menus, but I'm sure I'll get use to both of those.

Hopefully they're not actually discontinuing the slide, just upgrading it or replacing it with something better.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #50
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Hopefully they're not actually discontinuing the slide, just upgrading it or replacing it with something better.

Dan
+1!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #51
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I started using mine upstairs in my office. I was having some line of sight issues with the harmony that was causing frustrating missed commands so I decided to try the Slide to see if it would work any better. It works pretty good. The stumpy size is a little odd and I keep using the play/pause "wheel" as if it's the arrows/select "wheel" in the menus, but I'm sure I'll get use to both of those.

Dan
I hope so too.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #52
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I've never had line of sight problems with my Harmony One. As for the TiVo remotes, their design is horrendous...a rounded bottom?! Come on...it sits on a flat surface WAY more than it is in my hand. It's always rolling onto its side or some such nonsense. Worst design EVER.
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #53
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I've never had line of sight problems with my Harmony One. As for the TiVo remotes, their design is horrendous...a rounded bottom?! Come on...it sits on a flat surface WAY more than it is in my hand. It's always rolling onto its side or some such nonsense. Worst design EVER.
Odd, TiVo's award winning remotes are nearly universally praised.

http://gizmodo.com/5017972/story-of-...ent-and-future

I think it's one of the ergonomically designed remotes out there. All the buttons are easily reachable. I needed to use two hands with older remotes I've used. I have a Harmony One and the only thing I don't use it for is my Premiere. I use the must have Slide remote for that.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #54
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

He's right about it being too rounded though, I regularly turn my Slide over in my recliner because it won't stay where it's supposed to. It's also too slick because of the plastic, so if you don't put it face down it becomes a Slide off the chair remote.

Might be ergonomic when you're using it, but not all that practical when you're not.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #55
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

I almost always keep my TiVo remotes face down on the arm of my chair because of slippage issues. It's the one complaint I have about the peanut.

Retired
Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #56
morac
Cat God

I just turn it sideways. The indentation and grooved back keeps it in place.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #57
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I've never had that problem with mine. They always sit flat on hard surface or are at a slight angle on a soft surface. Plus the rounded bottom makes it much, much more comfortable in the hand than other remotes. And sometimes I will hold the slide remote for long periods of time for shows that have irregular commercial breaks.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #58
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut

The round bottom makes it impossible to press its buttons while it's sitting on the table beside me. I've always hated that part.

FYI--no Best Buy near me (of about 30 stores) has any left and their site shows "not available for shipping."
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #59
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
He's right about it being too rounded though, I regularly turn my Slide over in my recliner because it won't stay where it's supposed to. It's also too slick because of the plastic, so if you don't put it face down it becomes a Slide off the chair remote.
I have never once had any of my TiVo remotes slide off a chair. Knocked off? Yes. Dropped? Surely. Sliding off? Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Might be ergonomic when you're using it, but not all that practical when you're not.
The attributes of any object when not being used are almost completely irrelevant, with a few mostly minor exceptions. The usefulness of any device is illustrated by how well it works, not its attributes when not being used, regardless of how often or infrequently it is in use.

The TiVo peanut is virtually the only remote I ever use, despite the fact I have several remotes costing up to several hundred dollars each. The rounded back makes it fit easily and comfortably in the hand, and makes one-handed operation much more practical and accurate. I could not possibly care one iota less what it is like when not in my hand.

(And yes, I usually lay it on its face. This is natural and trivially easy to do. Why anyone would care that it is best left sitting on its face rather than its back is far, far beyond me.)
Old 12-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #60
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar'sBro View Post
The round bottom makes it impossible to press its buttons while it's sitting on the table beside me. I've always hated that part.
It is meant to be held in your hand, not to be used while sitting on a table.