TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
neo_sapien

Warranty and Lifetime Question

I want to purchase a Premiere 4 with Lifetime in the next day or days or whenever the Mini comes out.

If I purchase a Premiere 4 with Lifetime from a third-party seller, can I still purchase the 3-year extended warranty from tivo.com?

Is buying the unit directly from tivo.com liable to be the best deal I can get, assuming I can use code PLSR? I used PLSR a few years ago on a TiVo HD.
neo_sapien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_sapien View Post
I want to purchase a Premiere 4 with Lifetime in the next day or days or whenever the Mini comes out.
I would wait a few days and see if TiVo offers combo deals

Quote:
If I purchase a Premiere 4 with Lifetime from a third-party seller, can I still purchase the 3-year extended warranty from tivo.com?
Yes you can buy the extended warranties from TiVo for 90 days after activation/purchase.

Quote:
Is buying the unit directly from tivo.com liable to be the best deal I can get, assuming I can use code PLSR? I used PLSR a few years ago on a TiVo HD.
No idea but you can test the code out before you click the final buy button to find out if it still works
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Loach

Quote:

You will not be able to use the PLSR code if you purchase from tivo.com. There is no place to enter the code - probably because tivo.com purchases are "pre-activated". If you purchase from a 3rd party reseller, you'll be able to use the PLSR code when you go to tivo.com to activate service. That's what I did - purchased and activated about 2 months ago.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
neo_sapien

Are there any instances in which you purchase a non-lifetime TiVo from a reseller and are then unable to use the PLSR code? Does the code not work for some people? I've used PLSR once before, on a TiVo HD, I hope it's not a one use only code.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Loach

Quote:
Are there any instances in which you purchase a non-lifetime TiVo from a reseller and are then unable to use the PLSR code? Does the code not work for some people? I've used PLSR once before, on a TiVo HD, I hope it's not a one use only code.
Are you talking about buying a used Tivo or new? Not sure about used. I'd suggest reading through the comments about this code at retailmenot.com. Most people report success if purchasing new units from 3rd parties and using this code. Most failures are people who purchased directly from tivo and there was no place to enter the code. Or existing Tivo customers who were hoping to stack this code with the multi-service discount and pay $299 for lifetime instead of $399 (the code won't work for that).

http://www.retailmenot.com/showcoupon/1010214
Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
neo_sapien

I'm talking about buying a new TiVo Premiere 4. I saw a new Premiere 4 with pre-activated lifetime for sale for about $675, but I think that it would be cheaper to buy the Premiere 4 from a reseller for $250 or less and use the PLSR code to get lifetime for $399.

So long as I can then purchase a 3-year warranty from Tivo.com after I buy it from the reseller.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Loach

Quote:
I'm talking about buying a new TiVo Premiere 4. I saw a new Premiere 4 with pre-activated lifetime for sale for about $675, but I think that it would be cheaper to buy the Premiere 4 from a reseller for $250 or less and use the PLSR code to get lifetime for $399.
That's what I did. Bought my P4 from Yogi Computers for like $225 and got $399 lifetime using the PLSR code.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Does your TiVo HD not qualify you for the MSD?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
neo_sapien

I'm unsure if the TiVo HD qualifies me for the MSD, or if I sold the old TiVo S2 that qualified me to purchase lifetime for the HD at $300.

Is there some way for me to tell if the HD qualifies me for the MSD?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
Loach

Quote:
I'm unsure if the TiVo HD qualifies me for the MSD, or if I sold the old TiVo S2 that qualified me to purchase lifetime for the HD at $300.

If you have an active subscription on the HD, you qualify and do not need the PLSR code to get Lifetime for $399.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:

You got the HD lifetimed at the MSD rate, but no longer have the unit that created the condition which qualified you for MSD.

So you aren't currently qualified for MSD.

Maybe the PLSR thing will work for you, but I don't have any experience with it.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
neo_sapien

Quote:
You got the HD lifetimed at the MSD rate, but no longer have the unit that created the condition which qualified you for MSD.

Yep, that's my situation.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

Maybe the PLSR thing will work for you, but I don't have any experience with it.
No longer having the original unit should not disqualify him from MSD. Any "qualifying subscription" as defined in the MSD agreement will work. From the Tivo MSD agreement:

Multi-Service Discount Qualifications

1. Initial Qualification: You must be the registered account holder of a qualifying Monthly or Product Lifetime Subscription to the TiVo service, as further defined below, to qualify for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT (a "Qualifying Subscription"):

1. TiVo Service Subscription: A Qualifying Subscription must be a Monthly or Product Lifetime Subscription, as further defined below, to the TiVo service, made directly with TiVo (as opposed to with a third party service provider such as DIRECTV) in order to qualify for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT. For instance, DIRECTV DVRs with the TiVo service are ineligible to qualify as a Qualifying Subscription or to receive the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT.
2. Monthly Service Subscription: If you are the registered account holder of a Monthly Service Subscription to the TiVo service, your subscription must be fully paid, active and in good standing, paid on a Monthly basis. Promotional TiVo service subscriptions (e.g. free or discounted TiVo service rates purchased through a limited time offer), unless otherwise designated in the terms and conditions for such promotional subscriptions, are not eligible to be Qualifying Subscriptions.
3. Product Lifetime Subscription: If you are the registered account holder of a Product Lifetime Subscription to the TiVo service, your Product Lifetime Subscription must be fully paid, active and in good standing. Your TiVo DVR to which the Product Lifetime Subscription is attached must have called into the TiVo service within the last 180 days to remain eligible for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
No longer having the original unit should not disqualify him from MSD. Any "qualifying subscription" as defined in the MSD agreement will work.
Keeping the Tivo that qualifies you for the MSD is key. Any Tivo subscription that was purchased at a discount is not eligible to be a "qualifying" sub for MSD. Note what I've highlighted below:

Quote:

From the Tivo MSD agreement:

1. Initial Qualification: You must be the registered account holder of a qualifying Monthly or Product Lifetime Subscription to the TiVo service, as further defined below, to qualify for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT (a "Qualifying Subscription"):

1. TiVo Service Subscription: A Qualifying Subscription must be a Monthly or Product Lifetime Subscription, as further defined below, to the TiVo service, made directly with TiVo (as opposed to with a third party service provider such as DIRECTV) in order to qualify for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT. For instance, DIRECTV DVRs with the TiVo service are ineligible to qualify as a Qualifying Subscription or to receive the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT.
2. Monthly Service Subscription: If you are the registered account holder of a Monthly Service Subscription to the TiVo service, your subscription must be fully paid, active and in good standing, paid on a Monthly basis. Promotional TiVo service subscriptions (e.g. free or discounted TiVo service rates purchased through a limited time offer), unless otherwise designated in the terms and conditions for such promotional subscriptions, are not eligible to be Qualifying Subscriptions.
3. Product Lifetime Subscription: If you are the registered account holder of a Product Lifetime Subscription to the TiVo service, your Product Lifetime Subscription must be fully paid, active and in good standing. Your TiVo DVR to which the Product Lifetime Subscription is attached must have called into the TiVo service within the last 180 days to remain eligible for the MULTI-SERVICE DISCOUNT.
So in order to get the MSD, you have to have at least one Tivo on your account where the subscription was purchased at full price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
So in order to get the MSD, you have to have at least one Tivo on your account where the subscription was purchased at full price.
Or you have to have one unit on which you are paying the full monthly subscription fee, rather than the MSD monthly fee.

But then if you no longer had whatever qualified you for an MSD monthly fee, that would have gone up to the full monthly price.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #16
jmbach

Quote:
Keeping the Tivo that qualifies you for the MSD is key. Any Tivo subscription that was purchased at a discount is not eligible to be a "qualifying" sub for MSD. Note what I've highlighted below:

You may be right but fully paid does not mean full price. Reading the description it indicates that it depends on how the discount is offered whether or not it is a qualified subscription for MSD.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

They always say that but for some reason it's never been applied to me. All my TiVos I've had on my account the last few years have had MSD pricing and I was still able to get MSD pricing on my ELites.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

They always say that but for some reason it's never been applied to me. All my TiVos I've had on my account the last few years have had MSD pricing and I was still able to get MSD pricing on my Elites. And I've never purchased a lifetime subscription at full price for any of my TiVos in the past.

Unless it's because of the two S3 boxes still on my account. When I first got them in 2006 there was no lifetime option. But then they started offering lifetime again. So when my three year term was up I switched to lifetime in 2009, but I got it at half price(I think that was $200). So that is the only thing I can think of that would be my original qualifying TiVos.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #19
Loach

Fully paid doesn't mean full price. It just means your account is in good standing (i.e. not behind on any payments, if applicable). Anyway, we are splitting atoms here. The reality is, Tivo is not turning down a $399 lifetime subscription for an existing subscriber to add another box. Even if MSD didn't show up on the activation screens (which I'm betting it does), he could call and they'd give it to him. There are multiple paths to $399 here:

1. MSD
2. PLSR
3. Call and beg for it

If you're not getting $399, you're not applying yourself.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
lessd

Quote:
No longer having the original unit should not disqualify him from MSD. Any "qualifying subscription" as defined in the MSD agreement will work. From the Tivo MSD agreement:

TiVo is not adhering to this, if you have any TiVo in your account with Lifetime, you will get MSD price on any new TiVo you add, it does not matter what price was paid for the Lifetime or who paid that price. I don't have any info on monthly and MSD.