TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Fringe 10/26/12 "The Bullet That Saved The World"

1) That ranks pretty high on my list of Things I Did Not See Coming.

2) When Bishops lose their children, it does not often end well for the multiverse.

3) Will we ever learned how the bullet saved the world?
Old 10-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
jehma

That was so sad :-(

Wasn't it when Walter shot Olivia to keep Bell from using her to end the world?
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
Wasn't it when Walter shot Olivia to keep Bell from using her to end the world?
That was my understanding as well.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Pacey will have revenge.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
cmontyburns
Excellent.

That surprised me, too. I have been having trouble warming up to the character, but I have to say I found her death moving. Good episode. (And yes, I too understood that to be the bullet Walter shot at Olivia.)
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
MikeMar
Go Pats

Took me a bit to gee the bullet

Great ep, loved the basement of all the old Fringe stuff, and the using of the spray

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #7
wprager

Don't forget what Walter says on the tape, something like "You must understand the
reversibility of every phenomenon".

Does that mean what I think it may means? I don't know, but it may. Otherwise why put that line in? It's Chekov's gun.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
wprager

To add a bit more. The bullet is there to remind us how Olivia was shot in the head but regenerated; Etta is Olivia's daughter.

And "reversibility of every phenomenon" could be referring to the anti-matter baton. If that phenomenon is reversed, then Etta could regenerate.

Am I stretching it?
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Pacey will have revenge.
Who? Maybe you mean Peter?

Yeah, count me in as someone who didn't see that coming.
At least Etta went out on her own terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
The bullet gave Etta the resolve to fight with the resistance against the Observers.
The Observers didn't understand the significance, until it was too late.
Because of Etta's action, the Observers that were getting close to the truth were taken out and the Fringe team was able to escape to fight another day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
The bullet gave Etta the resolve to fight with the resistance against the Observers.
The Observers didn't understand the significance, until it was too late.
Because of Etta's action, the Observers that were getting close to the truth were taken out and the Fringe team was able to escape to fight another day.
How on Earth did Peter know all that?

I suspect everybody else is right. I just don't remember that bullet still existing, but then again, I've never had the best memory.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
1) That ranks pretty high on my list of Things I Did Not See Coming.
With Georgina Haig being listed as secondary cast I had a feeling we'd get this result.

It was still nice to see our old Fringe event tech floating around.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
(I don't regard this as a spoiler, but for people who don't want their imaginations poked, I'll hide it.)

I saw a comment from the Fringe showrunner in the offseason that

Spoiler:
everything we had seen in the prior three seasons would be paid off in this season.

Now I see what he meant.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
For a moment, I thought they would go through a series of old Fringe stuff in their Diabolical Plan to get into the subway station. Bit of a let-down that they only used the one thing, repeatedly.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

A couple of things.

1. It is now pretty obvious that Etta was added to the show and made as appealing as possible for the purpose heightening the shock to the audience of killing her off. Because, somehow, the Observers invading, the billions of people dying, the loss of freedom and dignity, and the impoverishment of a world was not enough to convince people that our intrepid heroes are on a vengeful quest without compunction or mercy and be 100% behind them.

2. That said, I don't think Etta died. Or if she did die, she will turn up alive. The show has killed Olivia three times (I'm counting the time she was pronounced brain dead after flying though the windshield) and she is still alive. I can think of a couple ways she could have been saved.
September - Walter said his fate was 'unexpected' and therefore, not dead. If Windmark could teleport himself out of harms way with a couple seconds left, September could come in and grab Etta and be gone in the same amount of time. And since he can time travel, he can do it (that goes for any other time travelers including those who know about Alistair Peck's white tulip experiments)
Anti-matter bomb- A real anti-matter bomb would blow things up, making H-bombs look puny. The Fringe ones gently collapse things into nothingness. What do they really do? Send those things somewhere else? A somewhere where they can be retrieved?

3. Circumstantial meta-evidence.
Spoiler:
On Set 24 Joel Wyman tweeted that the show was half-way done filming (https://twitter.com/JWFRINGE/status/250807613321793536). If this were the case, Six shows would be in the can and a seventh in principal photography. So one would expect Georgia Haig (Etta) to be gone - either to Hollywood or somewhere else other than Vancouver. however on October 10th John Nobel tweeted that Georgia Haig was just over for tea (https://twitter.com/johnnob58004412/...89089555034113). True, she might have been in Vancouver for other things or a reshoot, but the more plausible explanation is that she was still on the show weeks after she was killed off.

Last edited by matt@thehickmans : 10-27-2012 at 10:18 AM.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #15
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Quote:
For a moment, I thought they would go through a series of old Fringe stuff in their Diabolical Plan to get into the subway station. Bit of a let-down that they only used the one thing, repeatedly.
Expect more in upcoming episodes. The team is motivated.

I would really like the team to re-create the bone dissolving powder from "Concentrate And Ask Again" and start turning Observers into puddles of boneless flesh. That would be a fitting death.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #16
jehma

Quote:
Yeah, same here. I was hoping to see some more of the earlier cases come back.

I did groan a bit when Walter had a secret door under a cabinet with a whole secret workshop underneath that no one else knew about.
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #17
jschuur
TV-holic, improving

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
And "reversibility of every phenomenon" could be referring to the anti-matter baton. If that phenomenon is reversed, then Etta could regenerate.
I assumed it was a hint that they would reset time to the point before the Observers invaded. Etta would be alive again as a child, and Olivia and Peter would have a chance at raising her to adulthood.

It's not just about reversing an individual death, but everything the Observers did to their world.

"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Huh. That was a shock.

Hey, they finally have pulse rifles. I wonder if they fire 10 millimeter explosive tip caseless, standard light armor piercing rounds.

BTW, unless they invoke an alternate universe clause, I don't think Etta be back. She detonated a fourth-gen pocket anti-matter baton. She wasn't only shot, but obliterated.

Unless she returns the way the Anakin, Obiwan and Yoda "came back" at the end of Episode VI.* (How come Obi wasn't his young self again)?

*Star Wars ref.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #19
JYoung
Series 3

Put me in the "I did not see that coming" camp.

Ouch, ouch, ouch.

Looks like Peter's going to go dark there.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #20
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Because of Etta's action, the Observers that were getting close to the truth were taken out
Except the most dangerous one. The head Observer transported out of there before the bomb exploded.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
I did groan a bit when Walter had a secret door under a cabinet with a whole secret workshop underneath that no one else knew about.
I really liked from a "what can we get away with" aspect the secret underground storage area under the file cabinet worked for me.

They're always willing to toss the pasta at the wall and see if it sticks, this time for me, it did.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

Except the most dangerous one. The head Observer transported out of there before the bomb exploded.
We only saw that one transported. There's no reason to believe the others didn't get out of there as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #23
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
We only saw that one transported. There's no reason to believe the others didn't get out of there as well.
Well, they only showed the head Observer seeing the bomb counting down, so I think it's reasonable to conclude he was the only one that knew to escape.

But I don't think we'll ever know, since the others were "minor" Observers.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #24
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Well, they only showed the head Observer seeing the bomb counting down, so I think it's reasonable to conclude he was the only one that knew to escape.

But I don't think we'll ever know, since the others were "minor" Observers.
And, they all look alike.

Wait, is that Observer racism?

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
I'm not understanding this I guess. The bullet was the bullet that went into Olivia's brain when Walter shot her to thwart Bell's plans to destroy both universes. Is there something else I missed?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #26
squigy0
Internet DJ & Dummy

Something is off with the invading observers and I just figured out what it is. They seem VERY child-like. While the ones earlier on in the series popped around and saw all aspects of important history, hence they'd have to know what simple things like baseball and necklaces are, these ones are completely oblivious to all things human.

Are they younger, and the next generation after the first we saw, deciding that they wanted to control things rather than just watch them? Or has something changed in them? Knowing this may give a clue to the finale.

I personally think the observers will be removed from existence and because of the way they travel through time, all of their interference will be removed and history will be set back to where it's supposed to be. Unfortunately this may mean the death of young Pacey (good one BTW :P)... i mean Peter since September wouldn't be there.
squigy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #27
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
And, they all look alike.

Are you sayin' us baldies all look alike?

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #28
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
"We're here. We peer. Get used to it."

-- Slogan of The Mighty Whiteys, an Observer advocacy group.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #29
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigy0 View Post

I personally think the observers will be removed from existence and because of the way they travel through time, all of their interference will be removed and history will be set back to where it's supposed to be. Unfortunately this may mean the death of young Pacey (good one BTW :P)... i mean Peter since September wouldn't be there.
He might survive in the other Universe as it was September who distracted Walternate from seeing the crucial reaction for Peter's cure.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #30
danterner
Not it!

Watching the flickery distorted videos of Walter, and going about taking steps to alter the world, has been reminding me of something but I couldn't put my finger on it until just now: Fringe has become Myst.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote