Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Supernatural - "Bitten" - 10/24/12

Wow. That was really cool.

And I'm sorry was that character development? They were in the show a total of 5 minutes and we get character development. Dean didn't want to hunt her down and kill her. Benny's influence, I can only assume.

And wow, they just aren't letting up on everyone in the outside world thinking they are gay. Office romance. And they are no longer even phased by it. Dean was more worried about his over usage of the word awesome. Ha!

I feel like there could be a lot of hate for this episode with the lack of Sam and Dean in it but I loved it. I love that after 7+ seasons they are still finding ways to make the show feel fresh.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

And I just realized the parallels with Kate and Sam. Studying law, talks of passing the bar then pulled into the SPN world and now has to live a life she doesn't want.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
And wow, they just aren't letting up on everyone in the outside world thinking they are gay. Office romance. And they are no longer even phased by it. Dean was more worried about his over usage of the word awesome. Ha!
I think that's just a running gag by the writers in response to the Sam/Dean slash fiction that has become very popular in certain circles. I think it may have started when Sam & Dean were at the Sam & Dean convention.

It's just such a bizarre concept (brotherly slash fiction?!?), you can see why these writers just can't let it pass. Ever.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Lillian Nyx
Queen of Swords

Somebody on the writers' team has seen Chronicle.
I really enjoyed this episode. Seeing the story from the other side, plus the ending where they talked about where they wanted to be in 5 years and instead they were either dead or on the run, was a refreshing twist. This show is still must-see tv for me.
Lillian Nyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
sean67854
Why?

I was thinking of Chronicle the whole time too. I really did not care for this episode. Next week looks promising though.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #6
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
I guess I am in the minority but I thought it was an uninteresting filler episode.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:15 AM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think that's just a running gag by the writers in response to the Sam/Dean slash fiction that has become very popular in certain circles. I think it may have started when Sam & Dean were at the Sam & Dean convention.

It's just such a bizarre concept (brotherly slash fiction?!?), you can see why these writers just can't let it pass. Ever.
I thought it started in The Monster at the End of the Book when Sam was researching the book series fans and came across the fan site discussion forum.

Put me in the Like category for this episode.
I love the fact that the producers aren't afraid to take chances and to do something different.
It was interesting to see this totally from the other side.

Quote:
And I'm sorry was that character development? They were in the show a total of 5 minutes and we get character development. Dean didn't want to hunt her down and kill her. Benny's influence, I can only assume.
That was also interesting as Dean has historically been very black and white in his thinking when it comes to hunting.
(No doubt from being John Winchester's "Good Son".)

When you consider that Dean was the one who hunted down and killed Amy Pond and wanted to kill Lenore the Vampire, it's definitely a shift in his thinking.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:32 AM   #8
Michelle5150
Still in Beta

I got a kick out of the opening credits playing during the end scene with Sam & Dean. It was so smooth I almost didn't even pick up on it.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:

Actually they've been doing it the entire series, from season 1 episode Bugs where they were mistaken for a gay couple wanting to buy a house. They just haven't done it recently, since maybe early season 6. I just thought it was a dropped joke. Guess they are reviving more than just Sam's intelligence this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian Nyx View Post
Somebody on the writers' team has seen Chronicle.
I really enjoyed this episode. Seeing the story from the other side, plus the ending where they talked about where they wanted to be in 5 years and instead they were either dead or on the run, was a refreshing twist. This show is still must-see tv for me.
I don't get the Chronicle references but I looked it up and the synopsis sounds like you're right. Also agree about the must see TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I guess I am in the minority but I thought it was an uninteresting filler episode.
There are always a bunch of filler episodes every season. I thought this was unique and I really enjoyed the flip side view of it all. And of course as mentioned the actual character development from Dean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
That was also interesting as Dean has historically been very black and white in his thinking when it comes to hunting.
(No doubt from being John Winchester's "Good Son".)
When you consider that Dean was the one who hunted down and killed Amy Pond and wanted to kill Lenore the Vampire, it's definitely a shift in his thinking.
YES! I immediately thought about Amy Pond. Which is why I think maybe Sam might not react as harshly to Benny as I first had thought. I thought originally he was going to freak out on Dean because of Ruby and all the other times they've dared to trust a monster. But maybe seeing how Benny has affected Dean's thinking, he might not totally freak out. He's not going to love it and he's not going to love or trust Benny, that's a given.... but it might not divide the brothers. <fingers crossed>
Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Church AV Guy

I think the first commercial happened ninteen minutes into the show. I was convinced that I had missed a commercial, but no, that was how long the first segment was. I think that may be one of the longest unbroken stretches of drama in a commercial (network) show that I can remember.

I really enjoyed it as an almost complete change of pace. For me, this is still a realtime watch, and there are very few shows that I watch realtime. Wednesday has become very crowded lately (with the addition of World Without End) but Supernatural is still the shiow at the top of the heap.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
cheesesteak
Meh.

I thought this was the worst episode of Supernatural ever. EVER! Ever times two, plus 1. I spent the second half of the show hoping that girl got killed. At least the dweeby guy had the right idea in the beginning in wanting to talk to some authority when he learned that his best buddy ripped someone's heart out and ate it. The girl was all "Let's not do anything because I weely wuvs him so much." All three of them ended up being morons and I hoped they'd all get ganked but I guess Dean needed his growing moment.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

As I suspected, you either loved or hated this episode.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
sean67854
Why?

Quote:
Part of the reason I didn't care for it was that it so peripherally involved Sam and Dean.

Most of the time when an episode spends time on other characters, even if they are one-off characters, it still clearly feels like a Supernatural episode. For this one, it didn't feel that way at all. They could have replaced the Sam and Dean parts with pretty much anybody and i think the episode would have felt the same to me.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Part of the reason I didn't care for it was that it so peripherally involved Sam and Dean.

Most of the time when an episode spends time on other characters, even if they are one-off characters, it still clearly feels like a Supernatural episode. For this one, it didn't feel that way at all. They could have replaced the Sam and Dean parts with pretty much anybody and i think the episode would have felt the same to me.
I disagree. I loved that we, for once, got an outsiders POV on Sam and Dean. I also liked that despite everything they do and kill, something like this gives them pause and a reason to remember that not all monsters are created equally. I liked the characters and I think it was smart of them to go 20 minutes with no commercial or credits. I fell right into it.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #15
robojerk

I liked it... I also got the Chronicle vibe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I think the first commercial happened ninteen minutes into the show. I was convinced that I had missed a commercial, but no, that was how long the first segment was. I think that may be one of the longest unbroken stretches of drama in a commercial (network) show that I can remember.
I thought I spaced out and just forgot the first commercial.

They have let other "monsters" go before. Meg, Crowley, Bobby (as a ghost). But yeah, they're probably setting something up involving Benny and having Dean show sympathy for a random creature is off for Dean.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Not to be contrary, but I'll weigh in to say it was just okay for me. I enjoyed it, just as I enjoy most every Supernatural episode. But I didn't think it was one of the best, or one of the worst. I might rank it higher had I not seen Chronicle; since I did, this episode felt more derivative than it otherwise might have. And I enjoyed Chronicle more so it suffered in the comparison.

I also thought that the show missed what could have been an opportunity here -- we were shown Sam and Dean from the perspective of other characters, but we were shown the exact same Sam and Dean that we always see. It would have been cool if their characters were a bit off from what we normally see, and if we were shown the types of moments we wouldn't normally get to see, rather than the same old same old (sitting down together and going over the evidence in a diner, interviewing a suspect, etc). It would have been cool if the episode had used the kids' stealth camera footage as an excuse to capture moments of their lives that the show doesn't normally focus upon, in so doing further developing their characters.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I also thought that the show missed what could have been an opportunity here -- we were shown Sam and Dean from the perspective of other characters, but we were shown the exact same Sam and Dean that we always see. It would have been cool if their characters were a bit off from what we normally see, and if we were shown the types of moments we wouldn't normally get to see, rather than the same old same old (sitting down together and going over the evidence in a diner, interviewing a suspect, etc). It would have been cool if the episode had used the kids' stealth camera footage as an excuse to capture moments of their lives that the show doesn't normally focus upon, in so doing further developing their characters.
hmmm I can agree with this. It would have been cool.

I still liked the episode a lot though. I'm anxious about next week. I saw an extended preview of it. Not going to be happy I have a feeling.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I liked the episode well enough as a one-off, but it definitely wasn't among my favorites.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Whatever you think of this episode, however, you have to give them kudos for trying something new on a fairly regular basis, instead of just settling happily into a deep rut like most shows that last this long...
Old 10-26-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

^ Totally agree. I like that they mix it up. I just think that, as danterner pointed out, they could have done something completely different with the Winchesters but didn't.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
^ Totally agree. I like that they mix it up. I just think that, as danterner pointed out, they could have done something completely different with the Winchesters but didn't.
Although I'm not sure how different it could be. They are who they are, and we've pretty much seen who they are by now. If they did something "completely different," at this point it would be almost by definition out-of-character.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
cheesesteak
Meh.

My big complaint is that the three main characters in this episode were incredibly stupid and selfish beyond belief. I disliked all three of them halfway through the episode.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #23
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Although I'm not sure how different it could be. They are who they are, and we've pretty much seen who they are by now. If they did something "completely different," at this point it would be almost by definition out-of-character.
Sure, but as dan pointed out, we always see Dean/Sam doing the same things. What if we saw one of them playing Angry Birds, for instance? Just a momentary glimpse of something different from what we normally see.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #24
sean67854
Why?

One of unique things about this show is how excellently they are able to riff on and make fun of pop culture things. The "Criss Angel" episode, the running joke about the ghost hunter shows, the running joke about superfans and fan fiction. It would have been clever if they would have found a way to poke at the handheld amateur cam genre.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

Old 10-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Sure, but as dan pointed out, we always see Dean/Sam doing the same things. What if we saw one of them playing Angry Birds, for instance?
Why would Dean be doing that?
He doesn't believe that Plants can kill Zombies.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #26
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I'll just put this here since I don't know where else to put it.
There was another convention this weekend and it's been brought here several times how the dick jokes last season got old. Jensen mentioned this. He said he thought it got a bit much and fought to keep a lot of them out (and even did end up getting some cut) and apparently told the writers, to quote "our fans are smarter than that" and I thought you'd appreciate that. I did.