TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F

Homeland: Q&A 10/28/2012 S2E5

This is the BEST hour of TV on right now. So far Clare Danes has had 5 Emmy episodes out of... 5 episodes. And Damian Lewis is neck & neck with her in the running. And the rest of the cast ain't bubkes.

Just. Wow.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
busyba
The Funcooker

While I agree with you with regards to the A-plot, I'm a little worried that the hit and run with the VP's kid subplot is veering dangerously close to stupid-24-tangent territory.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
atrac

Both Damian Lewis and Claire Daines could have said "you ain't see nothing yet" during their Emmy speeches this year and they would have been completely justified. Astounding work.

And while I consider that the best hour of television I've seen in quite some time, I do agree about the subplot with VP's son. I, too, was reminded of "24-tangent territory." Let's hope the writers won't steer any more in that direction.
atrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
busyba
The Funcooker

I'm willing to wait an ep or two though to see if the writers somehow tie it in or make it relevant instead of it just being filler and busy work for the supporting cast.

I think the writers have earned the benefit of the doubt so far.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
tiassa
Me --Avatar

I think the VP's kid's accident is counterpoint to Brody. What gets covered up in order to protect the "security of the nation".
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Given how much Brody hates the VP, I imagine that him finding out about the accident will be a good way for him to take down the VP and prevent the presidency.
TAsunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
tiassa
Me --Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Given how much Brody hates the VP, I imagine that him finding out about the accident will be a good way for him to take down the VP and prevent the presidency.
Good point, especially since part of his "plea deal" with Carrie and the CIA is that he get out of politics.
tiassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Did anyone think it was strange they didn't search Brody's house? How do they know Jessica isn't in on the plot? She could have been home destroying evidence.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Did anyone think it was strange they didn't search Brody's house? How do they know Jessica isn't in on the plot? She could have been home destroying evidence.
They might have checked to see if Body had the suicide vest in his closet.

I wonder if when you set up a guy to be the CIA's inside man in a terrorist cell it's a good idea to tell people the cover story that he's doing some secret work for the CIA.

Oh! The backup story is that he's having an affair with the anti-terrorist CIA analyst.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 10-29-2012 at 12:16 PM.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I wonder if when you set up a guy to be the CIA's inside man in a terrorist cell it's a good idea to tell people the cover story that he's doing some secret work for the CIA.
It's brilliant! That's the last thing they'll suspect is the truth.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This is the BEST hour of TV on right now. So far Clare Danes has had 5 Emmy episodes out of... 5 episodes. And Damian Lewis is neck & neck with her in the running. And the rest of the cast ain't bubkes.

Just. Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrac View Post
Both Damian Lewis and Claire Daines could have said "you ain't see nothing yet" during their Emmy speeches this year and they would have been completely justified. Astounding work.
Seriously. I hope that when they shot that scene, once it was over they each stood up, grabbed a mic, and then dropped it like a boss. That's how great it was.

Just award them their Emmys now.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #12
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
While I agree with you with regards to the A-plot, I'm a little worried that the hit and run with the VP's kid subplot is veering dangerously close to stupid-24-tangent territory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrac View Post
And while I consider that the best hour of television I've seen in quite some time, I do agree about the subplot with VP's son. I, too, was reminded of "24-tangent territory." Let's hope the writers won't steer any more in that direction.
Quote:
I'm willing to wait an ep or two though to see if the writers somehow tie it in or make it relevant instead of it just being filler and busy work for the supporting cast.

I think the writers have earned the benefit of the doubt so far.
Yeah, the Finn/Dana subplot has the definite airs of a Kim Bauer/Cougar or Landry/Tyra/multi-state murdering spree subplot, which is worrisome. Especially since the Homeland showrunners both worked on 24. But the show has been so amazing thus far in its 1.5 seasons that I will definitely give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Loved the Carrie/Brody part of the episode.

The thing with Dana and Finn was ridiculous. There are so many reasons why he would never be able to cover something like that up: Dana saw it, the car would be damaged, the Secret Service would know he was driving down that alley at that exact time, traffic cameras, etc. It was collossally stupid for him to drive away from that and think that he could just keep it a secret.

Did we ever see what Brody did with the vest? I remember him burying the descrated Koran in his backyard. Did he also do that with the vest? Am I getting that mixed up?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

Oh! The backup story is that he's having an affair with the anti-terrorist CIA analyst.
Which sets up the crisis when Jess discovers "the affair" and decides CIA cover #1 is just a cover for the real story of CIA cover #2.

Finn should be in deep doo-doo with Dad just for ditching his Secret Service protection, much less for reckless driving and running a light. We saw on West Wing that the SS won't snitch on him because they need the trust of the protectee to do the job.
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
tiams

Quote:
I thought they put the cameras back in the Brody house.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

This reminded me of the best "box" episodes of Homicide: Life On The Street.

Poor Andre Braugher, stuck on some desert isle while Lewis gets to do this.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiams View Post
I thought they put the cameras back in the Brody house.
I don't think we saw any evidence of that. They put him under surveillance, but as far as we were shown in the last episode, it hadn't been implemented to the point that they'd installed cameras in his house.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Mo Ryan's review:
Quote:
With these episodes, especially Sunday's bravura hour, which contained a 15-minute conversation that proved that two people talking can be the most fascinating thing on Earth, "Homeland" confirmed not only that it's willing to take huge chances, but that chance-taking is the name of the game. That embrace of risk is at the core of its DNA; the formula is avoiding formulas. The show is willing to put all its cards on the table and not save up big reveals and confrontations for the end of the season.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mauree...ide=more241810

UVerse and OTA

Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #19
desulliv

Quote:
Probably couldn't get a warrant... Never mind.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #20
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Me too.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #21
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post

Poor Andre Braugher, stuck on some desert isle while Lewis gets to do this.
Good shoutout. Braugher in the box was some of the best tv ever.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #22
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Agreed. Great reference to HLOTS. Pembleton vs JMJ.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by desulliv View Post
Probably couldn't get a warrant... Never mind.
Hey, if stabbing a sitting US Congressman has no implications....
UVerse and OTA

Old 10-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #24
astrohip
Stuart F

'Homeland' Hits Series High With 2.07 Million Viewers, Helps Set Showtime Ratings Record

Homeland continues to gain steam. Showtime's recently renewed sophomore drama, five episodes into its latest run, hit a series high of 2.07 million viewers at 10 p.m. on Sunday. That marks the first time the series has gone north of 2 million. The series was up 19 percent from the previous week.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...igh-207-384431
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #25
Hank
AC•FTW

I wonder if that includes DVR viewers?
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #26
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I wonder if that includes DVR viewers?
I doubt it. DVR numbers aren't usually available this soon. They usually take a week or so for the L+3 numbers, and a couple more weeks for the L+7 numbers. Since the episode only aired a couple days ago, those numbers wouldn't even be complete yet.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #27
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
It's brilliant! That's the last thing they'll suspect is the truth.
When Brody's wife said "You better not be lying" (paraphrasing, already deleted the ep) I thought "No, for once, he's telling you the truth!"- well, sort of!

And I LOVED it in the interrogation when Brody was all "You can't just keep me here, I am a US Congressman" and the guy said, (again, paraphrasing) "Well, actually, thanks to your colleagues in Congress, we have wide powers..."
OH SNAP!!

Slightly OT but I heard on TMZ today that Ben Affleck was tapped to direct Homeland, but he and Jennifer Garner try not to work at the same time (for the kids' sake), and at the time she was working on that cinematic classic "Valentine's Day" so he had to decline.
Man, that SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS!