TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Dexter - 10/28/12 "Swim Deep"

I could've sworn Dexter was going to prove the blood was negative so he can see the Russian released. And what's with admitting on a prison phone call that he killed someone? Aren't those things monitored?!
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
Idearat

Schooner or Later is in Long Beach, CA. It was on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives, so I went there to there to check it out before.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
And what's with admitting on a prison phone call that he killed someone? Aren't those things monitored?!
I've always assumed the ones with telephones were monitored and/or recorded. Otherwise, why have the telephones instead of just small holes or a grate in the glass (there could be a baffle to prevent passing anything through)? But I don't know for sure. Even without that wrinkle, the visit seems stupid for Dexter. Certainly his visit was logged.

Last edited by john4200 : 10-28-2012 at 11:55 PM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
mwhip
All better

Victor is a really good bad guy.

Curious about what Dexter thought would happen at the bar. If he went for blood after the crime happened did he not think the cops would be interviewing at least the bartender on what happened? And wouldn't the bartender be like "hey that guy came through right before the other guy".

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I've always assumed the ones with telephones were monitored and/or recorded. Otherwise, why have the telephones instead of just small holes or a grate in the glass (there could be a baffle to prevent passing anything through)? But I don't know for sure. Even without that wrinkle, the visit seems stupid for Dexter. Certainly his visit was logged.
I thought that too, but then someone told me that the visitor has rights to privacy, and that they don't log those conversations. I mean what if your wife came in and was discussing her sick mother. HIPAA privacy laws would still apply, and the government would have no right to listen in.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm sure nothing will come of it, but yes, all those jailhouse visits are usually monitored and/or recorded. They only exception is when someone is speaking to their attorney.

http://le.alcoda.org/publications/po.../files/IPC.pdf

Quote:
Conversations between prisoners and visitors that occur in jails and prisons may ordinarily be monitored without court authorization or consent. This is because it would be unreasonable for the parties to expect privacy in such a setting. As the court observed in U.S. v. Harrelson, “It is unnecessary to consult the case law to conclude that one who expects privacy under the circumstances of prison visiting is, if not acting foolish, exceptionally naive.”

Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #7
GoHalos

I wondered about Dexter's visit as well -- didn't seem smart.

Also, what's stopping the bad guy from talking to the cops about what he knows about Dexter? Is it just the fact that Dexter has additional info on him (killing Louis, etc.)? You'd think that if he knew that they had evidence against him, he'd take Dexter down with him.

What am I missing?
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHalos View Post
Also, what's stopping the bad guy from talking to the cops about what he knows about Dexter? Is it just the fact that Dexter has additional info on him (killing Louis, etc.)? You'd think that if he knew that they had evidence against him, he'd take Dexter down with him.

What am I missing?
1) What proof does Isaak have if he tries to implicate Dexter? Certainly no one would take Isaak's word for it.

2) Isaak is not the type to involve the cops. He wants to take care of it himself. Furthermore, he wants to personally hurt Dexter.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Victor is a really good bad guy.
Viktor is a really dead bad guy.

I guess you meant Isaak?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
GoHalos

Quote:
1) What proof does Isaak have if he tries to implicate Dexter? Certainly no one would take Isaak's word for it.
Well, just him talking to the cops could potentially get Dexter in trouble, even if he doesn't have proof (i.e., LaGuerta knowing that there was a theory that the Bay Harbor Butcher could have been in law enforcement, it might lead to closer examination of the negatives from that wedding, Deb getting more nervous about hiding stuff once Dexter has been accused, etc.).

Wasn't Dexter initially worried (out loud to Deb, I think) that he couldn't let the guy get into the cops hands and that he should take care of him? Or am I not remembering that correctly?
Quote:
2) Isaak is not the type to involve the cops. He wants to take care of it himself. Furthermore, he wants to personally hurt Dexter.
Could be.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
voripteth
User Advocate

Quote:
Dexter has been moving further away from the code and getting sloppier each season. I wonder if this season it will finally catch up to him.
voripteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by voripteth View Post
Dexter has been moving further away from the code and getting sloppier each season. I wonder if this season it will finally catch up to him.
Deb kills La Guerta to protect Dexter.. Deb then fits in the code

Dexter then faces a big conundrum!!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
GoHalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by voripteth View Post
Dexter has been moving further away from the code and getting sloppier each season.
Oh, no doubt. This one just seemed especially sloppy. I guess we're to assume that he knows that the phones/visits aren't monitored/tracked.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
I thought that too, but then someone told me that the visitor has rights to privacy, and that they don't log those conversations. I mean what if your wife came in and was discussing her sick mother. HIPAA privacy laws would still apply, and the government would have no right to listen in.
The someone who told you they are not monitored is wrong.

Quote:

What am I missing?
he won't say anything about dexter killing the guy because he thinks the whole police force is in on it with dexter.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
And not only that, but the point of his story was that even if he had to wait in prison for decades before exacting his revenge, he would do it.

But I doubt Dexter is going to let him wait in prison for decades. One way or another, Isaak will be on his table...literally or figuratively.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
pendragn

Quote:
Viktor is a really dead bad guy.

I guess you meant Isaak?
Ray Stevenson is a great actor and nails the Isaak role perfectly. He plays the tough guy role very well.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
Ray Stevenson is a great actor and nails the Isaak role perfectly. He plays the tough guy role very well.
It's impressive that in Rome, he was so dense and dim-witted, and here, he's so...not.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It's impressive that in Rome, he was so dense and dim-witted, and here, he's so...not.
Yeah. I've been a big fan of his since Rome. Great in both parts.

tk

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #19
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I enjoyed the scene (for its comedic effect) where Isaak orders a "small coffee" and then receives something roughly the size of an espresso, then proceeds with his ginormous body to drink the world's smallest cup of coffee. It felt like it was right out of a Pink Panther movie.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #20
Archangel00

Quote:

tk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Quote:
Yeah. I've been a big fan of his since Rome. Great in both parts.

tk
Ditto all that. He's one of those "lesser known" actors that seems to always put out very enjoyable performances.
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Did I miss something? How did the dead photographer's family have the pictures from the wedding where the photographer went missing? Did Dexter conveniently return the camera to his family? Did the photographer download all the pics to the bride and groom before leaving that night? Seems odd that anyone would have those pictures if Dexter killed the photographer that night immediately after the wedding.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #22
VegasVic
Craps Player

I thought the same thing. If Dexter killed him during that reception how could the camera have been recovered and the pics printed out? Or did Dexter stalk him at an earlier reception? The way I understood it from the son is that those pics were from the night he disappeared, which makes no sense.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
john4200

I think that photographer Dexter killed was shown in a previous episode. Does anyone have the season and episode number?

Anyway, Dexter does not necessarily take all of his victim's belongings and destroy them. It is possible that Dexter left the photographer's camera and equipment, and it was later found by his family or the authorities.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #24
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

There was a photographer that he killed in season 4, but not the one mentioned here.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #25
GoHalos

According to this site, this photographer was Phillip Barnes, and his first (and last) appearance in the series was this episode:

Quote:
Full Name
Phillip Barnes

Status
Deceased

Reason
Killed by Dexter Morgan

TV Appearances

First Appearance:
Swim Deep

Last Appearance:
Swim Deep

Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #26
john4200

Quote:
According to this site, this photographer was Phillip Barnes, and his first (and last) appearance in the series was this episode:
Thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #27
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Did they actually say that those pictures were taken by Barnes? Maybe they were pictures taken by others at the reception. Not sure why Barnes' family would have them in that case. Or, maybe he had filled up a memory card and put it in his case, which got left behind.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #28
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Did they actually say that those pictures were taken by Barnes? Maybe they were pictures taken by others at the reception. Not sure why Barnes' family would have them in that case. Or, maybe he had filled up a memory card and put it in his case, which got left behind.
Or maybe he was using film and had 15 or 20 rolls in his bag. (The incident was something like 5 years ago, right? I think lots of photographers were still using film).

Point is, Dexter made the stupid mistake of not disposing of the equipment as well.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #29
tiams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Or maybe he was using film and had 15 or 20 rolls in his bag. (The incident was something like 5 years ago, right? I think lots of photographers were still using film).

Point is, Dexter made the stupid mistake of not disposing of the equipment as well.
I believe the son said his mom "printed them out" so they must have been digital.
tiams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #30
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
As for the blood spatter, I bet Dexter will find it and get suspicious; I don't think they'll use it to get Dexter into trouble.
That just cancels it out too easily. The blood will lead to more suspense ... maybe Deb finds it and starts thinking that Dex offed Louis despite his denials.
Vindication!