TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
synch22

PYtivo suddenly not working on HD and series 3

Has anyone had this issue before? The program used to work fine I could push video (download) to the tivo or stream from the PC. Now the folder shows up but is blank. It was appearing for a while with only the stream capability before it disappeared all the way.

Any fixes for this? I have tried reboots of the tivos as well as the pytivo program. Besides that nothing has changed since this was installed over a year ago i believe.

Thanks
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
caddyroger

I had the same problem last week end. Worked one day the next it was not. After a couple of days pytivo started to work again.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Tivo's been having server issues all over the place recently. I wasn't able to push for about 2 weeks, but was able to tonight. Basically it's a crapshoot.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
jhjones75

I have only been able to sporadically push for the last several weeks.
jhjones75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
jtmal0723

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaDiana View Post
Has anyone had this issue before? The program used to work fine I could push video (download) to the tivo or stream from the PC. Now the folder shows up but is blank. It was appearing for a while with only the stream capability before it disappeared all the way.
Reboot both the TiVo and the computer running pyTiVo. That usually fixed any issues I had.
jtmal0723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
lrhorer

No, it is a mind server issue, and it is widespread. The mind servers finally crashed entirely a few days ago, but they are better, now. 'Last I checked, though, they were still not 100%.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
No, it is a mind server issue, and it is widespread. The mind servers finally crashed entirely a few days ago, but they are better, now. 'Last I checked, though, they were still not 100%.
What is the mind server?
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
lrhorer

There are three ways the TiVo can obtain content from an external device. The first is MRV / MRS, which can transfer or stream content from one Tivo to another. This is accomplished by contacting the source TiVo directly from the target TiVo and requesting the video.

The second method is an HMO transfer. HMO transfers are similar, except the source can be just about any computing device, and the transfers at a low level are not dependant upon TiVo exclusive proprietary protocols. Both MRV/MRS and HMO transfers are initiated directly from the Now Playing List of the target TiVo. The point is, however, the target TiVo contacts the serving device directly and requests a video without the mediation of any third device.

Many utilities are best served if initated somewhere other than the TiVo itself, though. Amazon On Demand, for example, can initate a download from a web browser of your PC or Smart Phone. Since most people do not want their TiVo accessible by someone on the internet, or in many cases cannot provide for their Tivo to be accesible from the internet, such a transfer must be mediated by an external server accessible to both the PC / Smart Phone and the TiVo. That is the mind server.

When a user wants to initiate an internet transfer from some device, the device contacts the mind server, logs in, and tells the mind server where the video is located. Meanwhile, the TiVo contacts the mind server every minutre or so to see if there are any videos in queue. If there are, the mind server forwards the URL of the show and the TiVo then downloads the show from the specified location. Any device that has the proper login credentials and the MAK and TSN of the TiVo to which the video is to be delivered can log in to the mind server and queue the video for viewing or download. Note the device can be the Tivo itself, and that is precisely how Amazon On Demand, You Tube, etc. are provided for the TiVo. In the case of a push from TiVoDeskTop Plus or pyTivo, the device is an external PC.

With a mind server mediated transfer, there may be as amany as four devices involved with the transfer. In every mind server transfer, the devices involved are the initiating host, the mind server, the source host, and the target TiVo. The source host and the initating host may be the same machine, or the target TiVo and the initiating host may be the same machine, but at a minimum at least three different machines are always involved in a mind server mediated transfer.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-24-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
ShayL

Thank you lrhorer.
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I'm glad I finally ran across this post. I've done just about everything I could to my computer at home thinking something was wrong with it. I should have searched online first and it would have saved me a lot of time. About 90% of my shows still aren't transferring. I end up having to pull them over instead of having them auto push. Even that doesn't work half the time. So is this something that will return to how it use to work or is it something we are just going to have to deal with from now on?
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Me too. This is being discussed also on the pyTivo thread of the Tivo Home Media Features... forum: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=328459

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I'm glad I finally ran across this post. I've done just about everything I could to my computer at home thinking something was wrong with it. I should have searched online first and it would have saved me a lot of time. About 90% of my shows still aren't transferring.
Pushing seems to have been fixed.

Quote:
I end up having to pull them over instead of having them auto push. Even that doesn't work half the time.
If any of your pulls are not working, then it is a completely different issue. Pulls are a simple mattter of the TiVo contacting the video server and requesting the video, using a completely different mechanism than pushes. The transaction occurs strictly between the two machines, and no internet connectivity is even required. It doesn't even require a UID or password.

Quote:
So is this something that will return to how it use to work or is it something we are just going to have to deal with from now on?
As I said above, pushing seems to have been fixed. If you are still having problems, then it is because of some other issue, and you will need to troubleshoot.