TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Tivo slide remote ribbon cable repair

I saw a few threads about malfunctioning slide remotes but I didn't see anyone else who actually broke the little ribbon cable that connects the halves.

I dropped the remote and then the buttons on the top part weren't working properly, although the bottom (keyboard) part seemed fine. I tried changing batteries to no avail, so I slid the mechanism a few times and then I saw the ribbon cable hanging out. So, my best guess is when I dropped it the cable got damaged somehow and then the sliding broke it.

Anyways, I took the whole remote apart and it would be easy to fix if I could find a replacement cable. Has anyone done this? The cable is 20 pin, 0.5mm pitch, 60mm long. This is about the closest match I can find, not sure if it will work but I can't find it much cheaper even at quantity 1 with shipping...

todd_j_derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
unitron

It looks like they want to sell you 5 of them for $9, shipping included.

I'm not sure what percentage of the cost of a new slide remote that is, but if you think you can find a way to fold up and tuck in that extra 30mm (about 1 and 3/16th inches), then you can use one, keep one for a spare, and see if there are 3 other people around here with the same problem.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks - I decided to go with Mouser even though it cost almost $10 for qty. 1 with shipping, it seemed like a more reputable site and the shipping should be faster. I'll report back on how it goes.

For posterity, since I had to devote more time to this than I would have liked, the perfect match would be something like: flexible flat cable (FFC) 20 conductor, 0.5mm pitch, 60mm length, connectors on the same side, and exposed and stiffener length are both around 3.5mm.

I ordered this, which is pretty close, it's a bit longer at 76mm and the exposed connectors are 4mm and the stiffener is 6mm but hopefully that won't cause a problem.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...538-15020-0209

This was a bit closer match, the exposed ends are 3.56mm, stiffener still 6mm, but shipping at digikey was more expensive: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...U-03-ND/660079
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_j_derr View Post
Thanks - I decided to go with Mouser even though it cost almost $10 for qty. 1 with shipping, it seemed like a more reputable site and the shipping should be faster. I'll report back on how it goes.

For posterity, since I had to devote more time to this than I would have liked, the perfect match would be something like: flexible flat cable (FFC) 20 conductor, 0.5mm pitch, 60mm length, connectors on the same side, and exposed and stiffener length are both around 3.5mm.

I ordered this, which is pretty close, it's a bit longer at 76mm and the exposed connectors are 4mm and the stiffener is 6mm but hopefully that won't cause a problem.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...538-15020-0209

This was a bit closer match, the exposed ends are 3.56mm, stiffener still 6mm, but shipping at digikey was more expensive: http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...U-03-ND/660079
As long as you were paying shipping to Mouser anyway, you should have added some power supply capacitors to that order for future reference.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
todd_j_derr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Well, I got the cable and it fixed the problem... sort of. It was working fine, but after less than a day and maybe 20 slides, the cable broke again.

The first thing that worried me was that the cable just seemed too stiff, and I think that was ultimately its undoing. It didn't want to bend properly when I slid the remote open and closed - it would get hung up and the slide action was not smooth. I don't really use the keyboard part that often anyways, I just like the BT aspect.

On my first attempt, I tried to tuck the extra length (as above, the cable I got was 76mm instead of 60mm) into the "bottom" of the remote (since you have to put the top together before the bottom). That didn't work well because there's a little cavity in the bottom of the remote that takes up the extra cable when you slide it open, and there wasn't enough room in the cavity to hold the extra cable. Although, again, I think it wouldn't have been a big deal if the cable wasn't so stiff. So, i took it apart and tucked the extra length into the "top" part, which seemed a lot better. It did slide a little better but it still wasn't great. I thought about trying to take it apart again and do it one more time but I wasn't sure what else I could do. Then, tonight it snapped when I slid it.

Thanks to the extra length I may be able to make it work again if I can strip the wires with a razorblade or something at the break... but I think I'd have to resolve not to slide it open... I mostly like the BT aspect and don't use the keyboard a whole lot, but it's still kind of crappy.

Otherwise, I might try to find a better match for the cable, and/or buy the qty. 5. FWIW, I did contact Tivo support on the off chance they had the part but they said no - didn't even offer me a discount on a new one or anything
Old 08-30-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
jkeegan

Damn, mine broke the same way and when I found your thread I hoped you'd had better luck.

Whenever I can motivate myself to order a replacement I'll post my results here too.

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
jkeegan

Ordered the one you mentioned from digikey.
I'll try bunching the spare in the top and holding it somehow.

seven syllables
(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote