TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #181
Tivogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
The issue I have with this feature is so much stuff seems to be missing the OAD info that I'd only have a couple things actually sorted. I like the idea though.
I have one Tivo with 323 episodes of this old house on it. There is currently NO POSSIBLE WAY to watch them in any kind of sequential order. There are just too many. Theoetically, I have pretty much every episode available. In practice - not useful.

A simple "Sort by OAD" option would solve the problem. Most shows (that I have recorded anyway) actually do have the OAD. Those that didn't could sort to the bottom, or some other default.

I guess what I REALLY want is sort by Season Number / Episode number...
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes
Tivogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #182
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre View Post
I have one Tivo with 323 episodes of this old house on it. There is currently NO POSSIBLE WAY to watch them in any kind of sequential order. There are just too many. Theoetically, I have pretty much every episode available. In practice - not useful.

A simple "Sort by OAD" option would solve the problem. Most shows (that I have recorded anyway) actually do have the OAD. Those that didn't could sort to the bottom, or some other default.

I guess what I REALLY want is sort by Season Number / Episode number...
If they are not copy-protected you could download to a PC where you can organize them for pyTiVo any which way you want that would make the most sense. I don't trust TiVos to hold any shows long term, plus I end up changing TiVos every few years anyway so long term storage on TiVo itself is out of the question, but I'm lucky not to be affected by copy protection so I can offload whatever I want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #183
DonaldBurns65144

Found out that my update was d/l'ed ready to install in an interesting manner. Power outage from Sandy and when the Tivo restarted after power was back and it informed me that there was an update pending. So install thanks to Sandy.
DonaldBurns65144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #184
rahnbo

So happy I no longer have to wait for 5 minutes after reordering the SP list. I did notice with the Android app some settings went back to default like sort order of shows but changing the setting again kept.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #185
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmal0723 View Post
This was their intention... Post from another thread:
I can't believe they would TAKE AWAY a function from users for no discernible reason other than to allow a small segment to implement backdoor codes more conveniently.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #186
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
I can't believe they would TAKE AWAY a function from users for no discernible reason other than to allow a small segment to implement backdoor codes more conveniently.
Maybe the number of people who actually used that function was smaller than the segment using backdoor codes
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #187
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
The issue I have with this feature is so much stuff seems to be missing the OAD info that I'd only have a couple things actually sorted. I like the idea though.
Even if they added it only within a group it would be quite useful to me.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #188
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
I think it's more likely that they did it because it's counter-intuitive to have the live guide come up in a recording.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #189
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post

I think it's more likely that they did it because it's counter-intuitive to have the live guide come up in a recording.
The regular live guide still works when playing a recording, only the mini-guide was removed.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #190
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
No more counter intuitive to bring up any other menu (My Shows, To Do List, Season Pass Prioritizer, Full Guide) during a recording.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #191
aaronwt
HD Addict

I bring up the regular live guide alot while watching a recording. I would be pissed if that capabilty was removed. I never used the mini-guide.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #192
moyekj

Quote:
No more counter intuitive to bring up any other menu (My Shows, To Do List, Season Pass Prioritizer, Full Guide) during a recording.
Just out of curiosity, what's the big deal with using the Full Guide instead of the Mini guide? You can still continue watching the program in the upper right corner with the full guide.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #193
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The regular live guide still works when playing a recording, only the mini-guide was removed.
Ha. I guess that tells you how often I use the guide in a recording. I assumed that it worked the same as the olden days when the "Live TV" and the guide function shared a button on the remote.

So yes, it makes no sense for it to do one thing for the full guide and something different for the mini guide.

Not entirely square
nrc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #194
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That's just the bank being cheap and getting lower quality equipment. There are plenty of them that give you high quality. You just have to pay for it.
Then why is it every time I see something on the news about Joe Blow that just robbed a bank, a 7-11, or anything else: the quality is always rotten. I am sure there is better recording equipment, but it seems that no one is buying it, or we wouldn't have so many unsolved robberies.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 AM   #195
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Then why is it every time I see something on the news about Joe Blow that just robbed a bank, a 7-11, or anything else: the quality is always rotten. I am sure there is better recording equipment, but it seems that no one is buying it, or we wouldn't have so many unsolved robberies.
The problem is higher resolution takes more record space, so most systems use a low quality system to use less record space (record then for a much longer time).

Old 11-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #196
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
It's still the business being cheap. The federal agency I'm a contractor for was the same way until they had a major theft and the video they had was basically worthless. Then they suddenly started spending the money to get better equipment.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #197
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
The problem is higher resolution takes more record space, so most systems use a low quality system to use less record space (record then for a much longer time).
You would think that they would use their brains and use some higher quality.... especially as cheap space is now... especially off site. If I was a insurance company I would require high quality video of I wouldn't insure them.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #198
lessd

Quote:
You would think that they would use their brains and use some higher quality.... especially as cheap space is now... especially off site. If I was a insurance company I would require high quality video of I wouldn't insure them.
How cheap space is depends on how many days of video backup one wants, whatever one pays for record space, if the resolution is say cut in half you will get twice the backup time, so if it cost $1000 to record 13 days in full HD, cut that by a 1/3 and for the same money you will get over a month of record time. Just saying...

Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #199
replaytv
Lunatic Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
How cheap space is depends on how many days of video backup one wants, whatever one pays for record space, if the resolution is say cut in half you will get twice the backup time, so if it cost $1000 to record 13 days in full HD, cut that by a 1/3 and for the same money you will get over a month of record time. Just saying...
Usually a robbery is known about within the day, so only a day needed.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #200
jrtroo
User

You are forgetting about shrinkage, where low quality is good enough and the data may need to be kept for a much longer period.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #201
lessd

Quote:
Usually a robbery is known about within the day, so only a day needed.
That assumes that robbery is the main reason, I think employee theft and customer theft is also looked at over some time, I don't run a store so i have no idea how many ways this recording is being used.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #202
Bighouse
200 Club Member

I am not on the priority list this time. Has this thing dropped yet???
Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #203
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
I am not on the priority list this time. Has this thing dropped yet???
Now that you mention it, I haven't seen anybody post about getting it since the first day that the priority signups went out. I guess they're still soaking.

(Soaking: examining customer service impact before rolling it out to the masses.)
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:19 AM   #204
habibrobert

This is going to look pretty cool!
habibrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #205
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I was on the priority list and got the update the first day it came out on both of my Premieres. I added a new Premiere to my account yesterday and it downloaded the update during setup. So it is definitely rolling out by account, which is an improvement over previous rollouts.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:47 AM   #206
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I was on the priority list and got the update the first day it came out on both of my Premieres. I added a new Premiere to my account yesterday and it downloaded the update during setup. So it is definitely rolling out by account, which is an improvement over previous rollouts.
I, on the other hand, put only one of my two Premieres on the list, and it was the only one that had upgraded as of last night (and it also did it on the first day). So perhaps what you're seeing is just that new activations are getting the latest version.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #207
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Maybe, but I only put the Elite on the priority list and my regular Premiere received it at the same time without being signed up.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #208
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Maybe, but I only put the Elite on the priority list and my regular Premiere received it at the same time without being signed up.
A long time ago I complained to TiVo about updating some but not all TiVo on a single account (before priority lists), they told me that was a good idea and for the most part have been doing that...I think..could be incorrect..will find out fast on this form.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #209
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Just for the heck of it, I powered up my unsubscribed Premiere and it is currently in the process of connecting to the TiVo service.
I will report whether or not I get a pending restart.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote