TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Supernatural - "Heartache" - 10/17/12

I'm only posting this early to let you all know (in case you missed this info somehow) the episode tonight was directed by Jensen.

Thoughts after the show!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I really kinda hate this show.

I thought it was kind of confusing but overall good. Typical MOTW for our boys. That last 3 minutes was not cool. I hate when they make me think it's all over then hit me with that and get me all emotional. Dean just wants Sam to want the same thing he wants. Sam never really wanted that life, did he?

But him saying he had something he's never had before rings false for me.
"You've never seen a birthday cake before?" and the look on Sam's face. Jeesh. So in the 4 years at Stanford with Jess nobody ever gave him a birthday cake? He didn't consider that a normal life? His brother and dad apparently didn't bother him there as they hadn't seen each other for years when Dean showed up in the pilot. I feel like we are rewriting history a tiny bit and it's bugging me.

Next week look good!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Lillian Nyx
Queen of Swords

Did you notice that Jensen's dad Alan was in the show?
Lillian Nyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Lillian Nyx
Queen of Swords

I feel bad for Sam - he gave up so much to go back hunting with Dean. And you're right - his hair is awesome!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Lillian Nyx
Queen of Swords

Yeah, the thing with the birthday cake seemed a little weird to me too. Sam supposedly led a 'normal' life while at Stanford with Jesse. Unless he discounted it because he was still surrounded by demons (or their influence), and it was more like he was hiding out from the hunting life rather than really quitting it. Maybe what he never had before was a picnic with a girlfriend and a dog AND a birthday cake.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian Nyx View Post
Did you notice that Jensen's dad Alan was in the show?
I loved that look they exchanged! Made me wonder what he was like growing up...
Old 10-18-2012, 01:22 AM   #7
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
But him saying he had something he's never had before rings false for me.
"You've never seen a birthday cake before?" and the look on Sam's face. Jeesh. So in the 4 years at Stanford with Jess nobody ever gave him a birthday cake? He didn't consider that a normal life? His brother and dad apparently didn't bother him there as they hadn't seen each other for years when Dean showed up in the pilot. I feel like we are rewriting history a tiny bit and it's bugging me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian Nyx View Post
Yeah, the thing with the birthday cake seemed a little weird to me too. Sam supposedly led a 'normal' life while at Stanford with Jesse. Unless he discounted it because he was still surrounded by demons (or their influence), and it was more like he was hiding out from the hunting life rather than really quitting it. Maybe what he never had before was a picnic with a girlfriend and a dog AND a birthday cake.
I think both of you are taking this too literally.

Sam never stated that he never had a birthday cake, that was just the question that Dr. Amelia asked (somewhat jokingly).

It's probably the first time he's had any real birthday celebration in over seven years (and yes, Jess probably was the last one to give him one) and he was affected by that emotionally.

I'd guess that he had stopped thinking about actually having one thrown for him after all those years on the road to Hell and back.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
I think both of you are taking this too literally.

Sam never stated that he never had a birthday cake, that was just the question that Dr. Amelia asked (somewhat jokingly).

It's probably the first time he's had any real birthday celebration in over seven years (and yes, Jess probably was the last one to give him one) and he was affected by that emotionally.

I'd guess that he had stopped thinking about actually having one thrown for him after all those years on the road to Hell and back.
I guess. I'm just picking at this so badly because I don't blame him one bit for wanting a normal life and I think he totally deserves one. But I'm selfish and I want him to want what Dean wants so I can have my brother moments. They just feel so estranged. I'm convinced something is going on though. Something as usual is not right with Sam. We are either back to season 1 Sam or season 6 Sam. Either way, they love to make me want to rip out my hair over this show!!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
sean67854
Why?

I thought the story this ep was kinda weak. One of the lower points for the series. This season really seems to be starting out low, like season 6.

When did Jensen's Dad appear onscreen? I didn't know he was in the ep, so I wasn't looking for it.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
crowfan
The Dude abides

Supernatural is like sex, or pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. That being said, I agree, this ep was one of the weaker ones.

Jensen's dad was the older guy that they talk to at the desk in the early part of the episode -- I forget his exact role.

ETA: Here's a pic of the scene, courtesy of IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm93105664/nm0010073

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
crowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
sean67854
Why?

Oh, he was the other cop they talked to? The one that said he was sorry he didn't take the guy out back and shoot him?

Xbox gamertag sean67854

Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Oh, he was the other cop they talked to? The one that said he was sorry he didn't take the guy out back and shoot him?
Right, the one who exchanged extremely odd looks with Dean that made no sense whatsoever until you realize they're father and son in real life.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
danterner
Not it!

I totally get Sam wishing for a normal existence. That's a tension that's been a part of his relationship with his brother since season one, it has just been brought to the forefront.

What I don't get is that he lived that normal life during Dean's year in Purgatory, giving up on Dean. That's not the Sam we know, and I remain hopeful that things are not as they seem and that something is up.

Anyone notice the name of the strip club was "The Bunny Hole" and that they descended a staircase to get in? In earlier seasons I would have been confident of that being a deliberate allusion to Alice in Wonderland, suggestive of the fact that they are in fact 'behind the looking glass'. I'm not as confident of that now, but I'm still hopeful.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I totally get Sam wishing for a normal existence. That's a tension that's been a part of his relationship with his brother since season one, it has just been brought to the forefront.

What I don't get is that he lived that normal life during Dean's year in Purgatory, giving up on Dean. That's not the Sam we know, and I remain hopeful that things are not as they seem and that something is up.

Anyone notice the name of the strip club was "The Bunny Hole" and that they descended a staircase to get in? In earlier seasons I would have been confident of that being a deliberate allusion to Alice in Wonderland, suggestive of the fact that they are in fact 'behind the looking glass'. I'm not as confident of that now, but I'm still hopeful.
I remain hopeful. I will not freak out. Season 6 taught me not to do that too quickly.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
Church AV Guy

Quote:
I remain hopeful. I will not freak out. Season 6 taught me not to do that too quickly.
Yeah, sure, but unlike when you watched season 6, THIS season you cannot just watch them all in a few marathon sessions! You HAVE to wait for each episode just like the rest of us.

How does it feel?

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Yeah, sure, but unlike when you watched season 6, THIS season you cannot just watch them all in a few marathon sessions! You HAVE to wait for each episode just like the rest of us.

How does it feel?
How do you think it feels? IT SUCKS! Thanks for your concern!!!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
sean67854
Why?

Quote:
How do you think it feels? IT SUCKS! Thanks for your concern!!!

you could just record them all and wait until May to watch them.

Xbox gamertag sean67854

Old 10-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
I guess. I'm just picking at this so badly because I don't blame him one bit for wanting a normal life and I think he totally deserves one. But I'm selfish and I want him to want what Dean wants so I can have my brother moments. They just feel so estranged. I'm convinced something is going on though. Something as usual is not right with Sam. We are either back to season 1 Sam or season 6 Sam. Either way, they love to make me want to rip out my hair over this show!!
BTW, if Jess was a Jehovah's Witness, she wouldn't have celebrated birthdays either.

Consider this though (I was thinking this through this morning), over the course of the series, we've seen Sam's emotional support network systematically destroyed.

It starts with the death of Mary.

The boys don't have anything near a normal and healthy childhood.
No, that was saved for Adam.

Jess is killed and Sam leaves the academic life and any support from there behind.

John dies.

He has to kill the next woman he's gets close to.

Sam himself dies but he is brought back by his brother sacrificing himself in a devil's deal.
(Yes, Dean came back but you can't say it didn't take an emotional toll on Sam. Not to mention a heaping of guilt.)

Jo dies.

Ellen dies.

He has to sacrifice himself to prevent the Apocalypse.

He has the Devil inside him, torturing him.

Bobby dies.

Then his brother gets blown out of this reality (and does Sam even know that Dean is alive?).

Who or what does Sam have left in his life?
Nobody. Nothing.

I can't blame him for giving up and just being aimless.
He's burned out and floundering emotionally when someone shows him some kindness.

When you have nothing, even seemingly small gestures like a birthday cake can mean the world to you.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 10-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
BTW, if Jess was a Jehovah's Witness, she wouldn't have celebrated birthdays either.

Consider this though (I was thinking this through this morning), over the course of the series, we've seen Sam's emotional support network systematically destroyed.

It starts with the death of Mary.

The boys don't have anything near a normal and healthy childhood.
No, that was saved for Adam.

Jess is killed and Sam leaves the academic life and any support from there behind.

John dies.

He has to kill the next woman he's gets close to.

Sam himself dies but he is brought back by his brother sacrificing himself in a devil's deal.
(Yes, Dean came back but you can't say it didn't take an emotional toll on Sam. Not to mention a heaping of guilt.)

Jo dies.

Ellen dies.

He has to sacrifice himself to prevent the Apocalypse.

He has the Devil inside him, torturing him.

Bobby dies.

Then his brother gets blown out of this reality (and does Sam even know that Dean is alive?).

Who or what does Sam have left in his life?
Nobody. Nothing.

I can't blame him for giving up and just being aimless.
He's burned out and floundering emotionally when someone shows him some kindness.

When you have nothing, even seemingly small gestures like a birthday cake can mean the world to you.
Everything you say is 100% valid. I do understand, I really do. I think he's done so much for so many for so long that he just didn't have any fight left in him. I totally get it.

But then I have to wonder 2 things.
1. Who was the person outside her house watching him as he drove away?
2. WHY did he leave her? Why pack his stuff. That was before he knew Dean was back.

And I bitch and moan always because they just cannot let my brothers be happy with each other ever. There is always conflict, always something creating a rift between them. And I get that too. It does make the moments they come back together that much sweeter. Of course it does.

That does not mean I have to like this!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #20
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Everything you say is 100% valid. I do understand, I really do. I think he's done so much for so many for so long that he just didn't have any fight left in him. I totally get it.

But then I have to wonder 2 things.
1. Who was the person outside her house watching him as he drove away?
2. WHY did he leave her? Why pack his stuff. That was before he knew Dean was back.
Oh I agree, we don't know the whole story here.
I'm just hashing out stuff with what we do know.

And quite honestly, if you or I went through all of what the Winchester Brothers have, I think we'd be locked up in the asylum.

Quote:
And I bitch and moan always because they just cannot let my brothers be happy with each other ever. There is always conflict, always something creating a rift between them. And I get that too. It does make the moments they come back together that much sweeter. Of course it does.
It also very human of people to have the biggest fights with the one they are closest to.
This is good writing, IMO.

Quote:
That does not mean I have to like this!!!
Singer and Carver are doing this specifically to torture you.

BTW, I did not realize until last night that Sera Gamble is no longer with the show.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 10-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Yes they know it's torture. They also know how effective it is. They didn't get to season 8 by accident!

Yeah Sera announced last season I think. I didn't know either until they were discussing it at Comic Con panel I watched.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #22
cheesesteak
Meh.

I expected something really bad to happen to Sam's gf during the picnic scene.

Shouldn't evil stripper girl have had a serious chest scar from heart transplant surgery?

I don't blame Sam. Nothing good ever happens to them. Ever. I'd be tired of their crap life too.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
newsposter
Poster of News

remind me why the ghost of bobby doesnt appear anymore, i really think he would add to this show and i miss him in it.

i dont remember the same crappy hotel room with that separation wall in any of the scenes this week

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

They burned Bobby's flask since that was the item holding him here. So he's gone wherever ghosts go after you salt/burn them and the item tying them here.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #25
newsposter
Poster of News

they need to unburn the flask so someone can keep the boys on the right track. maybe a deal with the devil?

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #26
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Well it was never determined where these ghosts go. I was kind of hoping it was purgatory and Dean would bring him back with... but doesn't seem like they are going there.

What does everyone think of Benny so far anyhow?