TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,963
Revolution 10/8/12 "Plague Dogs"

Well, the previews had something that should make some people awfully happy...
Spoiler:
Choo choo!

__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,578
Yes after all the bickering in the thread for episode 3, I hope people are a little happy after seeing the preview for episode 5.

I see they also mentioned in this episode that the ships were used in the war(or was it wars?) and whatever was left was used for firewood.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 10-08-2012 at 11:29 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I see they also mentioned in this episode that the ships were used in the war(or was it wars?) and whatever was left was used for firewood.
The man said "wars".
He also said that ships were cut up for wood or taken by the militias.

I was surprised at the fact that the glass doors of the diner were still intact.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Peter000
Registered User
 
Peter000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Red Wing, MN
Posts: 17,729
Really hated the "threat" this episode. Just had nothing to do with the main story, and wasn't real interesting.

I think they have enough story to tell with the present quest(s?), and the flashbacks about how things got to where they are now, without inserting pointless hurdles.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,384
So people are really dumb and decide to tear down ships rather than make use of them for the incredible asset that they would be?

We now know that the country was not so dangerous that a single woman couldn't walk across it and halfway back again.

I was actually fairly shocked by the death. Between that and the way that some characters weren't introduced in episode 1, I'm starting to feel like they are actually planning out the arc for some or all characters in advance. That makes me feel a bit warm and fuzzy.

Miles seems to have arbitrary levels of badassitude. This episode his skills were nerfed and he seemed to have trouble completely dominating combat as he has done in the past.

The chair / rube goldberg booby trap was silly due to poor filming. You could clearly see that she would have no problems dodging the arrow by simply ducking and leaning to one side.

I'm still on the fence about this show. Some aspects I actually enjoy quite a bit but then the gaping chasm of questions creeps in, or a way-too-long, cliched action plot pops up.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
So people are really dumb and decide to tear down ships rather than make use of them for the incredible asset that they would be?

..........................
So if it's the middle of winter and you have no source of heat, what else do you do? Heat is a priority. Sailing across the ocean isn't. Especially since it would serve no purpose to go to an area that is probably worse off than the US. Plus you would need alot of supplies to go across the Atlantic. Survival is the number one priority. And if it was Winter, with several feet of snow, you are going to use the most readily avilable source of heat.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So if it's the middle of winter and you have no source of heat, what else do you do? Heat is a priority. Sailing across the ocean isn't. Especially since it would serve no purpose to go to an area that is probably worse off than the US. Plus you would need alot of supplies to go across the Atlantic. It wouldn't be worth the effort in the situation the world is in.
Who says you have to sail across the ocean with the ship or even use it in winter? Seems to me that transportation is extremely valuable and tearing down a boat for firewood is about the dumbest move possible.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Who says you have to sail across the ocean with the ship or even use it in winter? Seems to me that transportation is extremely valuable and tearing down a boat for firewood is about the dumbest move possible.
If the choice is to die from freezing and save a boat or live and destroy the boat I think the answer is simple. I don't see how surviving would be a dumb move. That would be a smart move.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If the choice is to die from freezing and save a boat or live and destroy the boat I think the answer is simple. I don't see how surviving would be a dumb move. That would be a smart move.
Then again, there are probably a lot more sources of wood (and dryer wood at that!) available. I would tear down vacant houses, of which there must be millions, before I tore apart boats.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Then again, there are probably a lot more sources of wood (and dryer wood at that!) available. I would tear down vacant houses, of which there must be millions, before I tore apart boats.
I would probably also tear down the dock first, thus making it rather difficult to tear down the boat. The logistics of doing that are quite impressive, come to think of it.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #11
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,328
I was wondering how they going to get past Maggie's nicked artery, with no blood or plasma handy. Hey - problem solved.

And, I'm sure that Googledy-Man had no trouble becoming an instant surgeon.


__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
And, I'm sure that Googledy-Man had no trouble becoming an instant surgeon.
Obviously he didn't become a very good one!
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Obviously he didn't become a very good one!
Maybe he used the wrong search engine.
__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
I was wondering how they going to get past Maggie's nicked artery, with no blood or plasma handy. Hey - problem solved.

And, I'm sure that Googledy-Man had no trouble becoming an instant surgeon.

As soon as they said nicked artery I expected her to die. Since there is no way they could have repiared it since the doctor was the one that was injured.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #15
dtle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
As soon as they said nicked artery I expected her to die. Since there is no way they could have repiared it since the doctor was the one that was injured.
I knew because the previews keep saying that one character will die.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
Cereal_Killer
Registered User
 
Cereal_Killer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 91
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
I knew because the previews keep saying that one character will die.
Darn! I think they killed off the wrong female.
Cereal_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Who says you have to sail across the ocean with the ship or even use it in winter? Seems to me that transportation is extremely valuable and tearing down a boat for firewood is about the dumbest move possible.
There aren't that many wooden ships anymore anyway. Seems to me that someone could take a steel-hulled ship and retrofit it relatively easily to have sails. No reason any of that has to be done with wood. Or if they simply used some telephone poles as the masts but the rest of the ship were metal, that's not enough wood to warrant destroying the ship.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives
 
mrdbdigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Moultrie, GA
Posts: 2,338
TC CLUB MEMBER
There you go again, applying logic to this show.

I thought it would have been nice for Google boy to use his amulet to fire up the iPhone one last time to her to see kids pictures as she expired. But that would have let Charlie and Miles in on the secret.

Dave
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #19
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
There you go again, applying logic to this show.

I thought it would have been nice for Google boy to use his amulet to fire up the iPhone one last time to her to see kids pictures as she expired. But that would have let Charlie and Miles in on the secret.

Dave
I'm not sure Aaron knows how to fire up the amulet. IIRC, it just came on by itself when they were at Grace's house. But as you said, he wanted to keep it secret from Miles and Charlie, and now that Maggie is dead, he has full control over his secret.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #20
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?
 
DreadPirateRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
I thought it would have been nice for Google boy to use his amulet to fire up the iPhone one last time to her to see kids pictures as she expired. But that would have let Charlie and Miles in on the secret.
I was half-surprised he didn't try and turn it on for her. Or for her to forget his notion that they should keep it a secret and ask, as her dying wish, to activate the amulet so that she could see her kids one last time.
__________________
“You know, sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage. Just, literally, 20 seconds of just embarrassing bravery. And I promise you, something great will come of it.”
DreadPirateRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
Church AV Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: high desert California
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
Who says you have to sail across the ocean with the ship or even use it in winter? Seems to me that transportation is extremely valuable and tearing down a boat for firewood is about the dumbest move possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
If the choice is to die from freezing and save a boat or live and destroy the boat I think the answer is simple. I don't see how surviving would be a dumb move. That would be a smart move.
Don't you remember the Siberians, when they were faced with freezing to death, tore apart the railroads to get at the ties, to burn to keep warm. That was destroying their best chance of getting more supplies in, but when you are going to die, immediate priorities overrule common sense about future needs.
__________________
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Don't you remember the Siberians, when they were faced with freezing to death, tore apart the railroads to get at the ties, to burn to keep warm. That was destroying their best chance of getting more supplies in, but when you are going to die, immediate priorities overrule common sense about future needs.
But again, there's all kinds of wood all around, and most of it easier to get at than wood that's floating in the water.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #23
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But again, there's all kinds of wood all around, and most of it easier to get at than wood that's floating in the water.
I would assume the major reason for lack of boats was the "wars" and not for firewood.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,195
This particular episode really felt "JJ Abrahms'ish" to me, just like lost, with the constant flashbacks right in the middle of the action.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
squint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 677
There's tons of sailboats with fiberglass hulls that are capable of sailing between continents if they can avoid stormy weather.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #26
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
There's tons of sailboats with fiberglass hulls that are capable of sailing between continents if they can avoid stormy weather.
Like somebody else said: Why would you? These people are still in survival mode not in expedition mode. Risk would be way higher than reward.

not to mention the needed supplies, time and knowledge to do so.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #27
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder View Post
...We now know that the country was not so dangerous that a single woman couldn't walk across it and halfway back again...
This was my problem...maybe there was some "window" of time far enough past the initial chaos but before the militas grab hold, that people could just wonder around...

That seemed to go against the story they were initially trying to tell and why I thought the militias taking over would make sense (to provide instant safety).
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #28
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,384
How long would it take a modern sailboat to make that journey? It took columbus about five weeks, supposedly. That's a lot of supplies. Unless things are going well overseas I don't see why they would even have made that journey past the first couple of weeks.

Boats being sunken or used during strife makes a lot more sense to me.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #29
dtle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Philly, PA
Posts: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
This was my problem...maybe there was some "window" of time far enough past the initial chaos but before the militas grab hold, that people could just wonder around...

That seemed to go against the story they were initially trying to tell and why I thought the militias taking over would make sense (to provide instant safety).
My thinking is the trip from Seattle to Buffalo is over unpopulated areas. Assuming she went the Canadian route (which avoids Chicago and Detroit), she only has to deal with Toronto. And you all know, those Canadians are really nice people.
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #30
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 14,384
Sounds cold. She must have found a boat in seattle to tear down for firewood before making the trip through canada.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |