TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
nickharman

'call iinterrupted'

I gettin call interrupted fail 20 secs in on downloading tv guide. No settings changed on Tivo but this is the first time I have tried to download a guide since mid september 2012 so Tivo is out of guide and so 'dead' at the moment

A test call is 'successful'.

The phone line is ok, its also the line for my broadband and no problems there. I don't run both at the same time btw, the BB is physically disconnected when I connect the tivo to make the manual call, usually every 3-4 days

This may seem an odd arrangement but its just down to the fact that I dont have enough wires to connect Tivo and BB to line at same time.

Any thoughts please?
nickharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
magnus
Tivo User

Use a network cable instead. What is the model number of your tivo?

I'm surprised that anyone is using phone line nowadays unless they have a series 1 TiVo. I suppose that even a s2 would be a problem since it does not have a network connection but adapters are fairly cheap and give you a lot more features.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
nickharman

Hi Magnus if you mean connect to the router, the tivo does not have a network card,

Cards are quite expensive actually, more than some 2nd hand Freeview recorders, add to that my freeview box that feeds the tivo has now given up the ghost, a coincidence I suppose, and the money involved may be a bit pointless

The BT box ( basically a humax Freeview recorder with catch up tv from router connection) sounds like it may well all in all be a better solution

I stuck with tivo and the old dial up for economy sake, but it seems its day may have come.

Last edited by nickharman : 10-14-2012 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added info
nickharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickharman View Post
Hi Magnus is you mean connect to the router, the tivo does not have a network card, I dont know model number, bit hard to get to the back, but its an early model
I think the only Series that does not normally support network connectivity is the Series 1. There are Turbonet cards for it but they cost more than the Tivo is worth. You could do Serial PPP with the S1 but that is difficult to get set up initially. If your Tivo is a Series 2 or newer, then you can connect to the net via the USB port but need an adapter that Tivo likes. I've found that the Rocketfish USB to ethernet adapter works well (normally used with Wii consoles). As for the phone connection, there have been reports that Tivo is not always very compatible with Voip.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Hi Magnus if you mean connect to the router, the tivo does not have a network card,

Cards are quite expensive actually, more than some 2nd hand Freeview recorders, add to that my freeview box that feeds the tivo has now given up the ghost, a coincidence I suppose, and the money involved may be a bit pointless

The BT box ( basically a humax Freeview recorder with catch up tv from router connection) sounds like it may well all in all be a better solution

I stuck with tivo and the old dial up for economy sake, but it seems its day may have come.
You could see if any of these would work for you. I assume that you have a s2 box. If you have a s1 then it's really going to be cost prohibitive to go with network though. I used a usb200m for my s2 when I had one.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/405

or $13 for the same one that I had from someone on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

Last edited by magnus : 10-14-2012 at 03:59 PM.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

To Clarify, it sounds like you are using a UK Tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
The phone line is ok, its also the line for my broadband and no problems there. I don't run both at the same time btw, the BB is physically disconnected when I connect the tivo to make the manual call, usually every 3-4 days
When you hook the Tivo to the phone line, are you using a broadband (DSL) filter?
If not, you should be.
You can usually get them through your broadband (DSL) provider.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote