TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #1
bcrider
TiVo Rebel

Question Is TiVo activation even needed during this scheduled maintenance?

Hello! I just bought a Premiere XL4 and am going out of town tomorrow but am facing the fact that there is a scheduled maintenance and can't activate. The TiVo seems to have downloaded enough guide data to last while I'm out of town, but is this normal? I thought it wouldn't work unless activated. Maybe TiVo is allowing it initially since it's a new device AND there's a scheduled outage? I just want to make sure I get back from my trip and everything I set to record actually does.

Thanks!
Series 4 - Premiere XL4 (lifetime)
bcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
radish
Honourable Member

Was about to ask a similar question - was planning on picking up a Premiere and a Stream today to replace one of my S3 units, but I'm guessing if I can't add them to my account I won't be able to do much except setup new recordings (i.e. no season pass transfers, MRV, etc?). Wondering if it's worth it - would the Stream even work?
radish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

1 - Tivo gives a week of free service on brand new boxes.
2 - You can activate it by calling customer service
Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
radish
Honourable Member

According to the sticky CS is closed and they can't make any account changes online or on the phone.
radish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

The one week free service should cover you until their maintenance activity is finished but get it activated ASAP otherwise it won't work after it calls in for account status.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
jpp123

Yes activation is needed

Tried to setup my new xl4 only to find that they are down for the weekend. Since I can't make it talk to any of my other tivo's or my new stream. I consider this an #epicfail by tivo.

[as an aside I design high volume web based transaction systems for a living and I'd get fired if I tried to bring ours down for 2.5 days withe no alternative]
jpp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish View Post
According to the sticky CS is closed and they can't make any account changes online or on the phone.
I missed that announcement.

The OP could activate it online or via phone from wherever he is while out of town, there is no need to be with the Tivo. He only needs to have the TSN and a credit card number
Old 09-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpp123 View Post
Tried to setup my new xl4 only to find that they are down for the weekend. Since I can't make it talk to any of my other tivo's or my new stream. I consider this an #epicfail by tivo.

[as an aside I design high volume web based transaction systems for a living and I'd get fired if I tried to bring ours down for 2.5 days withe no alternative]

There's nothing "epic" about having to wait a couple of days
Old 09-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post

Ha, yeah, I got a real kick out of his "end of the world" aka epic fail comment. Some folks need to get a life outside of their TiVo...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
FiddyownzX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
Ha, yeah, I got a real kick out of his "end of the world" aka epic fail comment. Some folks need to get a life outside of their TiVo...
Agreed
FiddyownzX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
James-73

On walking a mile in someone else's shoes...

Quote:

Ummm...actually after considering for some period of time the wisdom of purchasing a TIVO unit and service in spite of the company's past and possible ongoing difficulties and deciding the risk/reward is worth, and after making your purchase you find that you can't get the thing properly activated because of a 2+ day "maintenance" period that shuts down EVERYTHING completely, just what would you call it if not "epic"? ...a minor 2.5 day hitch in the road??? What if we were talking about, say, Amazon instead? Still a minor glitch? Where/when does the glitch become of epic proportions?

And as for the commit by someone suggesting that perhaps others than him/herself need to get a life, what of the person who has nothing better to do than to hang out on a forum such as this and castigate others for their genuine concerns on the wisdom of their purchase?

Sheez!
James-73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

If this downtime makes the TiVo servers more responsive, Then I'm good with it. But I have to agree I don't see many sites going down for more than 12 hours, due to scheduled maintenance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
jake99

91.66% uptime this month

I would like to echo that this type of downtime is completely un-acceptable, both as a consumer and a technology professional. Where I work, we measure our success in how many 9's we can achieve... 5 9's (99.99999% uptime) is the goal, however in reality, achieving 1 - 9 (99.9% uptime) in any given month is a good month. There are some very well established techniques of maintaining high availability, mitigating down times, migrating very large data sets, re-structuring infrastructure, etc., all in (near) perfect uptime... all the major technology players (e.g. google, yahoo, facebook, orbitz, etc.) do it, and most middle size companies leverage these techniques often with the help of bigger companies infrastructure (e.g. amazon, rackspace). Can you imaging google or facebook if they had a 60 hour downtime for one of their critical systems ? This single event reduces the monthly uptime for new activations to 91.66%, and yearly uptime to 99.3% ... terrible numbers which do account for other planned or unexpected downtimes.

I don't have any inside numbers, but according to an article found via google [1] a good quarter is 117,000 new subscribers. Some very fuzzy math yields ~ 350 people effected by this outage. Any service industry should know better then to knowingly provide ~350 people a terrible first time user experience. This illustrates a continued lack of concern for their user's base experience and perception, and honestly illustrates incompetence at managing their own systems. I personally would fire any technology leader that came to me with a request for a 60 hour downtime for a production system.

And for those that will argue the 1 week free thing...nope, many things won't work until you activate it. Functionality such as Netflix integration, reading from a second TIVO, purchasing / renting movies. From their own Viewer's Guide "No functionality is represented, warranted, or should be expected without a subscription to the TiVo Service." I have not even mentioned the exiting user's base inability to get to their own online account.
[1] just google "tivo 117,000" ... i don't have enough karma here to post links
jake99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Well for whatever reason they needed the downtime. Even the Xbox Live service which needs to always be up has been down for extended periods of time. Especially the time when they were setting it up so in the future, downtime would hopefully be minimal if non existent. Which actually didn't happen after that extended outage. But even the best laid plans can get screwed up. And sometimes there is just no choice but to have an extended amount of downtime when the right conditions happen.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
mattack

Maybe they needed the down time for new features… yeah right.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #16
bmgoodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Maybe they needed the down time for new features… yeah right.
I suspect somebody was attempting to watch Netflix on the Tivo Mothership and it spontaneously rebooted! I figure 2.5 days is its normal reboot time.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #17
cannonz

Is loading a lot faster now, don't know if it's a coincidence or due to changes.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake99 View Post
I would like to echo that this type of downtime is completely un-acceptable,
So, if you bought a new Tivo and this happened to you, you'd cancel all of your Tivo service and use another dvr?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #19
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by James-73 View Post
just what would you call it if not "epic"? ...a minor 2.5 day hitch in the road??? What if we were talking about, say, Amazon instead? Still a minor glitch? Where/when does the glitch become of epic proportions?
Glad you asked. I can not pin point when it becomes epic, but it would be significantly beyond 2.5 days which as you also asked, is nothing more than a mere minor inconvenience. In this type of time based situation, epic would only come after several stages of inconvenience have been passed.

People really need to stop thinking like 16 year old girls, where everything is a no room for compromising matter of getting things their way or it's the end of the world.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #20
atmuscarella

"Epic" is one of those words that everyone interprets differently. So I wouldn't get to hung up on that word.

From a consumer point of view having TiVo bring down their servers for 2.5 days is an inconvenience. If someone wants to assign the word "epic" too it or not is up to them.

From a business point of view, planning on having TiVo's servers down for 2.5 days seems like an unacceptable long period of time, and an indication of some really poor management.

What would people think if Google, Netflix, or Apple planned on bring down their servers for 2.5 days? My guess is we would have people talking about the end of the world.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
bcrider
TiVo Rebel

Well... I just got back from vacation and sure enough, the TiVo stopped recording things sometime after Sunday night. It seems that it networked into TiVo, which realized the box hasn't been activated and thus stopped it from recording. I got back an hour ago and saw little exclamation points all over the place, including my "to do" list and messaging about a service problem or something.

I called TiVo to activate and they wouldn't move any of my other TiVo's lifetime service over or even give a discount past the multi-service. Even an apology for my lost days of recordings due to activation problems during the maintenance outage would have been something! Not too happy, just shelled out $399 for lifetime on my 3rd TiVo when the first isn't being used anymore... oh well....
Series 4 - Premiere XL4 (lifetime)
bcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #22
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You can always sell the old lifetime TiVo and make back around $200-300 (if the old TiVo is at least a Series3.)
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #23
lrhorer

Quote:
and after making your purchase you find that you can't get the thing properly activated because of a 2+ day "maintenance" period that shuts down EVERYTHING completely, just what would you call it if not "epic"? ...a minor 2.5 day hitch in the road???
Try, "minuscule", or "completely insignificant". Two whole days, huh? When I was young it took six weeks to get one's vacation pictures back from developing. Has America become nothing but a nation of spoiled, self-entitled, ADHD-ridden brats? There are millions of people who have been waiting years - often their entire lives - for decent food, water, and adequate shelter to become available. There are hundreds of people out there who have been waiting six months for a heart or liver to become available for tansplant, who will die in the next 48 hours if they do not receive one. Waiting two days for one's TV to work exactly as one would like simply does not even move the meter on the hardship scale. Few things could be less epic.

Quote:
What if we were talking about, say, Amazon instead? Still a minor glitch?
'Almost microscopic. Someone needs to get a grip, here. Everything of which we speak, here, classifies as highly indulgent luxuries, and a failure of any or even all of them, no matter the length of time, simply would not be a significant hardship for anyone. At most it is a minor annoyance.

Quote:
Where/when does the glitch become of epic proportions?
When hundreds or thousands of people are in jeopardy of loss of life, limb, or property. "Epic" refers to something heroic in nature and grand in scope. Think of Thermopyle, Hannibal, or the Chosin Few. A literal handful of TV subscribers having a minor limitation on their viewing habits for a couple of days isn't even worth mentioning, let alone approaching anything like "epic".

Quote:
And as for the commit by someone suggesting that perhaps others than him/herself need to get a life, what of the person who has nothing better to do than to hang out on a forum such as this and castigate others for their genuine concerns on the wisdom of their purchase?
FUD and petulence do not constitue a genuine concern, but even if it did, it still rises nowhere near the level of "epic". There is absoluelty no question that every member of this forum could easily find more important and productive things to do than participate here. There is nothing wrong with indulging in an idle pursuit like posting here or watchihng TV from time to time, but thinking watching TV or posting in this forum is anything like necessary, let alone epic, is just fatuous in the extreme.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
lrhorer

Quote:
Glad you asked. I can not pin point when it becomes epic, but it would be significantly beyond 2.5 days which as you also asked, is nothing more than a mere minor inconvenience. In this type of time based situation, epic would only come after several stages of inconvenience have been passed.
It would *NEVER* become epic. If every DVR on Earth suddenly stopped functioning forever, it still would be nothing more than an exceedingly minor inconvenience.

Quote:
People really need to stop thinking like 16 year old girls, where everything is a no room for compromising matter of getting things their way or it's the end of the world.
It is unacceptable for 16 year old girls to behave in such a self-centered and supercillious a manner. For anyone who is not a 16 year old princess, it is abominable. I would never wish upon anyone the horror of being a prisoner in a World War II Japanese POW camp or someplace like Auschwitz or Buchenwald, but it is quite evident a lot of people need to stop thinking their every tiny disappointment compares with those hardships.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #25
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
"Epic" is one of those words that everyone interprets differently. So I wouldn't get to hung up on that word.
First of all, it is not the word. The word itself, like every definition, is completely arbitrary. It is the intent and the clear attitude behind its use that is the main issue. It is simply not acceptable to act like a spoiled brat, no matter what words one might use to convey the attitude.

Quote:
From a consumer point of view having TiVo bring down their servers for 2.5 days is an inconvenience. If someone wants to assign the word "epic" too it or not is up to them.
Nonsene. That word, as well as every other appropriate word, has a clear and concise definition. Choosing the words one employs with some consideration not only enhances one's position in a debate, it also creates an air of propriety and supports the development of our language.

Language is one of the most precious and important insititutions we as members of human societies posses together. To quote the fictional character Henry Higgins from My Fair Lady, the musical adaptation of the play Pygmalion, by George Bernard Shaw:

"But think what you're trying to accomplish. Think what you're dealing with. The majesty and grandeur of the English language, it's the greatest possession we have. The noblest thoughts that ever flowed through the hearts of men are contained in its extraordinary, imaginative, and musical mixtures of sounds."

Every time one misues a word or a phrase by speaking frivolously, especially in hyperbole, it diminishes that possession just a little bit. That little diminishment is in and of itself more important than the topic under consideration. It is an indictment of how trival the topic is, not how important one misused word is, however. Much more importantly, it is an indicator of how misguided the attitude of the speaker may be.

Quote:
From a business point of view, planning on having TiVo's servers down for 2.5 days seems like an unacceptable long period of time, and an indication of some really poor management.
Perhaps. That, or it may be merely a reflection of the people at TiVo realizing it is not the end of the world. I suspect the real truth may be at least in part something else altogether. I'm not going to even attempt to speculate what, as it is far too trivial an issue to waste the time and effort.

Quote:
What would people think if Google, Netflix, or Apple planned on bring down their servers for 2.5 days? My guess is we would have people talking about the end of the world.
Which just illustrates my point. If Google, Netflix, and Apple all disappeared off the planet completely, not only would it not be the end of the world, it would be far, far less important than the loss of a single human life. For better than 14,000 years, societies of humans flourished on this planet without any of these things, and if they were gone tomorrow, we could continue to flourish, perhaps even better than with them.

Perspective, people. Perspective. For all that it is fun and in its way fulfilling, none of this is important.

Last edited by lrhorer : 10-05-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #26
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I called TiVo to activate and they wouldn't move any of my other TiVo's lifetime service over or even give a discount past the multi-service.
Why did you expect there would be? They have been clear about the lifetime service since 2000, and have only offered a few brief transfer periods (IIRC, 2 out of 3 of them were paid transfers.. one was S1 -> S2, which didn't seem worth it to me at the time).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #27
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
Nonsene. That word, as well as every other appropriate word, has a clear and concise definition.
It may have a clear and concise definition but it is neither clear nor concise in meaning as it deals with degree/opinion - the Merrian-Webster definition of "epic" is:
"extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope"
So who gets to decide when something has extended beyond the usual or ordinary? Unless we are in a court of law everyone gets to decide.

If you believe something has extended beyond the usual or ordinary then for you it has (and can be called epic) and if you believe something has not extended beyond the usual or ordinary then for you it has not (and would not be epic).
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 10-05-2012 at 12:39 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #28
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake99 View Post
I would like to echo that this type of downtime is completely un-acceptable, both as a consumer and a technology professional. Where I work, we measure our success in how many 9's we can achieve... 5 9's (99.99999% uptime) is the goal, however in reality, achieving 1 - 9 (99.9% uptime) in any given month is a good month. There are some very well established techniques of maintaining high availability, mitigating down times, migrating very large data sets, re-structuring infrastructure, etc., all in (near) perfect uptime... all the major technology players (e.g. google, yahoo, facebook, orbitz, etc.) do it, and most middle size companies leverage these techniques often with the help of bigger companies infrastructure (e.g. amazon, rackspace). Can you imaging google or facebook if they had a 60 hour downtime for one of their critical systems ? This single event reduces the monthly uptime for new activations to 91.66%, and yearly uptime to 99.3% ... terrible numbers which do account for other planned or unexpected downtimes.

I don't have any inside numbers, but according to an article found via google [1] a good quarter is 117,000 new subscribers. Some very fuzzy math yields ~ 350 people effected by this outage. Any service industry should know better then to knowingly provide ~350 people a terrible first time user experience. This illustrates a continued lack of concern for their user's base experience and perception, and honestly illustrates incompetence at managing their own systems. I personally would fire any technology leader that came to me with a request for a 60 hour downtime for a production system.

And for those that will argue the 1 week free thing...nope, many things won't work until you activate it. Functionality such as Netflix integration, reading from a second TIVO, purchasing / renting movies. From their own Viewer's Guide "No functionality is represented, warranted, or should be expected without a subscription to the TiVo Service." I have not even mentioned the exiting user's base inability to get to their own online account.
[1] just google "tivo 117,000" ... i don't have enough karma here to post links
I don't even know why I'm bothering but.

5 - 9's is 99.999% (not 99.99999%) (about 5 mintues and change down time per year)
1 - 9 is 90.0% (not 99.9%) (36 1/2 days downtime per year)

You are thinking 3-9's (99.9% 8 3/4 hours downtime per year)

Assuming that everything goes well and there isn't any other additional or previous downtime, TiVo will achive around 99.6% uptime for this year

Our software regularly achieves 5-9's and in many cases somewhere between 5 and 6 9's (computer aided police dispatch system). Where even dropping 1 of 15000 calls for service in a month would equate to an "epic fail" not only for the software itself, but also the sheriff/commisioner/political person who implemented the system.

The sky definately isn't falling if the TiVo mothership is down for a couple days.

But at the IT level, down for 2 days in production is unacceptable, some redundant system should be in operation and then have a minimal cut-over downtime.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #29
saidur001

Thanks for a great post.
saidur001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #30
saidur001

Thanks authors
saidur001 is offline   Reply With Quote