TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
mwhip
All better

Dexter S07E01 "Are you...?"

So glad they did not string out Deb figuring it out. They did not let her be dumb like so many shows let smart characters do. Now what does Deb do now that she has figured it out? What about LaGuerta and the slide? How long can she run her own investigation?

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
john4200

I'm also glad Deb figured it out. For a second there, I thought Dexter was imagining Deb there, but after seeing the whole scene, I think it was real. Should make for some good episodes this season.

On the other hand, I did not like LaGuerta finding the slide. She was never a very good cop -- oblivious and stupid most of the time. But here she just happens to find the needle in the haystack (that none of the decent cops found) that can incriminate Dexter. Although since it does not have his fingerprints (he always wears gloves), it will take some good police work to connect it to him.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #3
getreal
postcrastinator

I am liking the way this is headed. I hope they get this series back on track after last season's hot mess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Archangel00

Definitely a better start than I was expecting. Also glad they didn't drag out Debra discovering the whole truth. Hope her dealing with it all doesn't become a drag now. This show needs to get back some semblance of the pace it set in the first few seasons.
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I almost gave up on this show. Decided to watch last night. Glad I did. This season really looks promising.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
pmyers

It bugged me that even as big of a sh*t storm as Dexter is in, he still just goes out and makes a kill.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
It bugged me that even as big of a sh*t storm as Dexter is in, he still just goes out and makes a kill.
Agree. Especially a kill of the cop-killer. Now that case will be yet another unsolved murder in what has to be a giagantic pile of unsolved murders due to the number of killers Dexter has dissappeared.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
I understand that, from what we know of his character...making a kill is a release valve on any pressure or stress he is feeling.

What has really bugged me throughout the series is that Dexter manages to find, kill, and dispose of criminals without the police that he lives and works with ever figuring anything out. It started out that he was catching up to scum that had slipped through the legal cracks and dispensed his own brand of justice. But then he started to catch and kill the criminals that his squad was actively investigating.

For a while, Dexter was too perfect and able to get away with everything. Slowly cracks have shown in his method or character and he has had to change or improvise what was once a very rigid set of rules ending in a sort of sacred ritual. The Trinity season showed him trying to learn how to appear more "normal." Last season showed him having some twisted sort of empathy when he tried to "save" Travis. It will be interesting to see where this season is going now that he has to deal with Deb knowing who and what he really is.

Wow.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
mooseAndSquirrel

Quote:
And my god, especially in an airport. How ridiculous was all of that?? I thought maybe he'd wheelchair him out. But no, let's go into the lost baggage room. Plenty of time. I guess that's why he brought in his rubber apron.

No red flags at all buying a ticket with cash, too.

Still, I'm glad it's back. At least now it will be something different.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
Agree. Especially a kill of the cop-killer. Now that case will be yet another unsolved murder in what has to be a giagantic pile of unsolved murders due to the number of killers Dexter has dissappeared.
It seemed like there were plenty of other guys involved in the girl's murder, so even though the police won't be finding the cop killer, they could still catch some of the higher level guys involved in the girl's murder.

But it was stupid of Dexter. Ever since he started killing people that are part of a current investigation, he has been pushing his luck.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
And my god, especially in an airport. How ridiculous was all of that?? I thought maybe he'd wheelchair him out. But no, let's go into the lost baggage room. Plenty of time. I guess that's why he brought in his rubber apron.
I'd be worried about Dexter being caught on camera wheeling the guy around. That could come back to bite him in the future.

Dexter didn't really need his rubber apron, since he killed the guy with blunt-force head trauma. Little or no blood. Certainly not Dexter's usual ritual. But since he had no plastic wrap, blood would have been a problem. It was lucky there was a large surf-board carrier in that baggage room, since he could hardly have cut up the body and taken it out in bits.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlucci View Post
He decided that guy's fate based on a fingerprint in the car, and that blood on his shirt indicated human blood ... no DNA to lock in his guilt. Dex has been straying from The Code for several years now. I'd say "The Code" is now more like "The Suggestions".

But I really like the fact that this new Dex obsession for Deb has killed her incestuous thoughts promoted by her psychiatrist in the previous season. (I watched the last episode of the previous season just before this episode, to keep the flow of the storyline fresh in my mind.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #13
Dmtalon
I love Tivo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
No red flags at all buying a ticket with cash, too.
No idea how this works in real life. Do they stop you at the counter? Or just flag you for something down the line?

But wouldn't the real flag be when people that have passed security for an international flight (or any flight I would imagine) don't check in for that flight. I assume our bad guy had a checked bag. I imagine they won't leave the gate with his bag onboard.
Dmtalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
Dignan
_

But where will I get my fix for hearing the word Tableaux?

I agree this season looks better so far. I was so disappointed with last season, especially after such an amazing past.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
KRS
Mmm...invisible cola

I agree that the airport baggage room was pretty risky. And yeah, the cash ticket purchase, him and the target not showing up for their flights, and the fact that there are cameras all over an airport leaves a lot of evidence.

I guess keeping your emergency bag inside the wall is a good hiding spot, but not great if you stick around.

I could see Dexter revealing his dark passenger to Deb and playing the sympathy card over all the bad things that have happened to him. Plus his kid will make Deb conflicted over what to do. But her cop nature probably won't allow her to let him get away with it all. And this being the last season, I have a feeling either he will have to kill her or get arrested himself.

Whatever happens, I have a feeling it will be a good last season.
O RLY?

360: Bees Tea Boys
Wii: 6028 2014 9605 5661
KRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
While I'm hoping against hope that Deb confronting him with the evidence IS real, there's a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that next week starts with an alarm clock going off and Dexter waking up, revealing that the reveal was all just a dream. Much like last season when they were in bed together and Deb woke up (or whatever that scene was - it was a while ago that I saw it).
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #17
TheMerk
Always Bid First

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS View Post
Whatever happens, I have a feeling it will be a good last season.
Where have you seen that this is the last season?

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
While I'm hoping against hope that Deb confronting him with the evidence IS real, there's a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that next week starts with an alarm clock going off and Dexter waking up, revealing that the reveal was all just a dream. Much like last season when they were in bed together and Deb woke up (or whatever that scene was - it was a while ago that I saw it).
If you watch the previews for next week it appears that this question is answered.

tk

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #19
Peter000

I loved this episode. Though it took someone actually SEEING him commit his ritual, the dominoes fell, and they exploited every weakness in Dexter's methods, including the HUGE one of having a babysitter who knows his entire schedule, when he's been out, etc. Along with keeping the slides in the air conditioner, a fairly easy spot to discover if you're looking for evidence like Deb was.

I didn't so much like the misdirection of why he went to the airport, especially the declined credit cards at the pump. Even if Dexter wasn't going to run, and was going to the airport for his intended purpose, he shouldn't have used the cards at the pump. Electronic trail.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #20
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
Even if Dexter wasn't going to run, and was going to the airport for his intended purpose, he shouldn't have used the cards at the pump. Electronic trail.
Right. Dexter made so many foolish moves during that kill that it is almost like the writers wanted to hit us over the head with Dexter being careless this time. Look, viewers, see how careless Dexter is being now?

Last edited by john4200 : 10-02-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #21
markp99
TakoKichi

There's an App for that:

On-site finger print look-ups. Cool!
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #22
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Am I the only person tired of Enver getting crap guest roles. He got like 5 minutes of air time! BAH!

Otherwise, GREAT start. The way Deb put together Rudy/Dexter was a fantastic nod toward her police skills. I'm really excited to see where they go with this.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #23
sharkster

I am just so uneasy. I'm probably the only one who hates the 'Deb seeing Dexter kill' thing. I just don't like it and was actually wishing that it would have been a dream sequence. There are a lot of elements going into this season, though.

What was up with LaGuerta snitching the slide away from forensics?
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #24
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
She still wants to prove that Doakes was not the Bay Harbor Butcher, and must think this will help. She is right, but that is a huge leap for her to make from the information that she has. She was never the brightest bulb in the box.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

But guys, I really need someone to be angry about Enver!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #26
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post

I didn't quite follow that, either. Unless it had to do with Doakes being framed as the Bay Harbor Butcher. If the use of slides has continued after Doakes' death, then that means Doakes wasn't the BHB and in fact the BHB is still out there (which, of course, is true), which LaGuerta doesn't want to be true?

ETA: or which she does want to be true, as John said? I'm not sure I get her motivation.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #27
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
ETA: or which she does want to be true, as John said? I'm not sure I get her motivation.
I see I didn't explain well. I meant that I thought she was going to use the slide in her own investigation. She wasn't stealing the slide just to make it disappear, but rather so she could do something useful with it.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #28
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
I see I didn't explain well. I meant that I thought she was going to use the slide in her own investigation. She wasn't stealing the slide just to make it disappear, but rather so she could do something useful with it.
Chain of custody is destroyed, it can no longer be used in any meaningful way. I doubt she has the brains to put the pieces together, or the balls to get revenge for Doakes by killing Dexter. Hopefully they do something good with it.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #29
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post

Chain of custody is destroyed, it can no longer be used in any meaningful way. I doubt she has the brains to put the pieces together, or the balls to get revenge for Doakes by killing Dexter. Hopefully they do something good with it.
Since Laguerta is all about self-preservation and self-advancement, I was thinking that her thoughts might lie more along the lines of "If it turns out that Doakes wasn't the BHB, then that reflects poorly on me. Therefore, I'd better hide the evidence that might wind up posthumously exonerating him." Problem is, I have very little recollection of the extent to which she was involved in determining Doakes was the BHB, if at all, so I could be completely off base.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #30
mrdazzo7

Man was that a good episode... in terms of the overall arc of the show, that's by far the biggest they've gone with it. I was half-convinced the writers would bitch out and have Deb believe Dex's lie, but every time they showed her getting more and more into it, I was like "they're going there...". Getting the ITK files, noticing the plastic was the same, asking Amy if he's gone a lot... that last scene when he comes home and she's got EVERYTHING out "on the table" was probably the best scene of the series, just because I didn't fully expect it to go that far that fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
She still wants to prove that Doakes was not the Bay Harbor Butcher, and must think this will help. She is right, but that is a huge leap for her to make from the information that she has. She was never the brightest bulb in the box.
What story are you referring to where she displayed such horrible cop skills? I only remember her being a leiutenant and beaurocrat for the most part--I don't think she's ever been a lead on a case or anything like Angel, Quinn, or Deb. Just don't remember what we've seen of Laguerta that makes her a dumb cop/investigator.

I thought she took the slide because she knew something didn't add up. She was a part of the BHB case, and remembers the slides being used. She never believed Doakes was a serial killer, and seeing a similar slide at a new crime scene would be a HUGE indicator that he was in fact framed and the real guy is still going. I don't think she's convinced at this point (or the point when she took it), but the whole thing is suspicious enough that she wants to look into it herself first. I don't think it's crazy. She's working on a hunch that has major repercussions for everyone, so she's being quiet about it.

I definitely agree about the entire airport kill sequence... that's the only dark spot on an otherwise solid hour. I get him killing despite the heat (he said several times, it's the only thing he can control), but going through airport security, buying an international ticket with cash then not checking in on the flight, walking aroudn with the victim in a wheelchair in full view of the public (as well as security cameras), then killing him in a room anyone could walk into at any time, then I'm guessing walking through and out of the airport with the dismembered body in his suitcase... Plus the fact that all he had was a fingerprint and zero else... not written well...

Oh well, this season's already 10x better than last year, lol. Between Deb's storyline, Laguerta starting to piece things together, Lewis acting like a psycho, and whatever this connected Russian syndicate is, it has a ton of potential.