TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
joy_division

stream is not convenient

I consider myself quite tech savvy, but I do not see how the stream hookup over MocA is any easier than direct ethernet cable from Tivo to my router.

I do not have the ability for a direct connect as my Tivo is too far away from my computer/router/modem. I use wireless.

I looked at the Tivo site (http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/moca.html) to hook my Premiere to MocA. These instructions are very ambiguous to say the least, but it looks like I have to hook up my Tivo via ethernet to the MocA adapter. If I were able to run an ethernet cable that far (and I cannot), why not just go directly into the router? After all, the router is right next to the MocA.

Am I missing something?
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Yes, you are missing something. The network connection is made through the coax cable that is already running to your TiVo. The whole point is that you don't need to run ethernet cable to wherever your TiVo is. Put MoCA adapters at the TiVo and near your router. Connect them to the coax in whatever room they are in. Plug one adapter into the router with an ethernet cord, and plug the other one into the TiVo's ethernet port.

If you have an Elite/4/XL4 then you don't even need an adapter at the TiVo end.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

MOCA is just a way to transsmit network traffic over coax cables. Just like HomePlug does over powerlines, HomePNA does over phone lines and Wifi does via radio signals. It's just a way to convert Ethernet signals so that they can be transmitted over the wiring you already have in place, rather then having to run cat5 all over your house. The reason TiVo chose MOCA over those other technologies is because a) all TiVos have coax connected anyway and b) MOCA seems to be the fastest and most reliable of the bunch.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
joy_division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Put MoCA adapters at the TiVo and near your router.

Thank you Arcady. That of course makes sense. The link I provided was a little ambiguous as I said, but partly because I goofed too. I assumed that the Tivo was to be connected to the MocA adapter that I hooked to my router. Duh, stupid me. I don't know where this mysterious extra ethernet port on the MocA adapter would have been since it would have been hooked to my router already. I guess I was thinking the adapter had multiple ethernet ports on it like my router. Additionally, I missed the part where it said hook up one adapter to EACH Tivo. I feel silly, but you cleared it up for me.
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Another plus to the MoCA in the Elite is that I can plug a switch into the ethernet port on the TiVo and instantly have multiple ethernet ports in the living room, which I have hooked up to an older TiVo HD, a PS3, Blu-Ray player, and a Windows PC. All of these devices used to be on WiFi, and the bandwidth they wasted can now be enjoyed by things that really need it, like our phones and laptops.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
bradleys
It'll be fine....

*** Looks like I took too long to write my post! Good information above.

Quote:
I do not see how the stream hookup over MocA is any easier than direct ethernet cable from Tivo to my router
I am not following you... Yes, a direct ethernet connection is easier and preferred. If you have an ethernet connection to your Premier, you are done. Connect your Stream directly to your router and everthing should work for you.

If you do not have an ethernet port near your TiVo then Moca is a great alternative. You simply use MocA adapters to bring the internet connection accross your coax cable. If you have an Elite/4/XL4 model then the MocA adapter is built into your TiVo. If you have Fios the adapter is built into the router. If not you will need an adapter on either side. (Old ACTIONTEC routers work well as MocA adapters.)

TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 09-17-2012 at 01:02 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

The one thing that TiVo doesn't emphasise enough is the need for a MoCa reflector/filter at the first splitter (PoE)
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
The one thing that TiVo doesn't emphasise enough is the need for a MoCa reflector/filter at the first splitter (PoE)
Why? The traffic is encrypted so it's not like your neighbors can pick up the signal.

Dan
Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Why? The traffic is encrypted so it's not like your neighbors can pick up the signal.

Dan
a ) MoCa signals can mess up a DoCSIS modem big time, so you should have a PoE filter to prevent stray signals from messing up your neighbors cable modems.

b) by leaking MoCa signal out of your PoE you effectively weaken the available signal to your MoCa devices, therefore reducing your effective speed between devices.

You should have a MoCa reflector at the PoE and a MoCa filter at each DOCSIS device. Usually the filter/reflector is the same item and can be used interchangeably.

When I gut my tuning adapters from Cox, they included a filter for each one.

I ended up buying an additional one to use at my PoE and on my cable modem. I got much better speeds when the PoE filter was installed.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

My MoCa network doesn't seem to be effecting my cable modem at all. I have the leg of the cable in my office on a splitter, one end goes to the cable modem the other end is split again, one end goes to a TiVo the other goes to a MoCa adapter and the pass through to a tuning adapter. I just ran a speed test and I'm getting >30/4Mbps with 24ms ping.

Dan
Old 09-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
My MoCa network doesn't seem to be effecting my cable modem at all. I have the leg of the cable in my office on a splitter, one end goes to the cable modem the other end is split again, one end goes to a TiVo the other goes to a MoCa adapter and the pass through to a tuning adapter. I just ran a speed test and I'm getting >30/4Mbps with 24ms ping.

Dan
I have seen stories where the cable companies will disconnect a customer if they discover leaking MoCa signals when troubleshooting a customer signal issues. Best to be neighborly and get a PoE filter.

Jeff

Last edited by ellinj : 09-18-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
I have seen stories where the cable companies will disconnect a customer if they discover leaking MoCa signals when troubleshooting a customer signal issues. Best to be neighborly and get a PoE filter.

Jeff
I've been running MoCA for years and I don't have a filter and cable company has been over several times and not balked at my setup - not that most techs that show up even really know what MoCA is mind you. My NIM100 MoCA units have exact same casing as the Moto Tuning Adapter so they probably confuse the two. In any case it's probably good advice but certainly not a necessity to have a filter. I've not had any problems myself after years of using MoCA. Note that I also have an amplified 8 way splitter that MoCA network sits behind so the return path is very degraded anyway - effectively a good filter too I would imagine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Good explanation of MoCa and the reasoning behind a PoE filter. While it's true it isn't required to make MoCa work, its cheap and you may even be able to get one for free from the cable company.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Where do you buy one?

Dan
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Tivo normally sells them as accessories, but they appear to be out of stock.

Quick google shows this as a pretty cheap source

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOCA-FILTER-...item43b34ade90
Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #16
moyekj

If I did install one (which I don't plan to) I would want to make sure that the filter really is a good quality narrow band filter since my cable co. is already heavily using the 860MHz-1GHz range for TV channels, so any degradation of signals close to 1GHz would be a bad thing.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bought one just to try. For $8 it's not going to hurt anything, and if there is a chance it will improve my MoCa signal any then it'll be worth it. According to the UMatterToCharter guys over on AVSForum my system is still old so I doubt we'll have any interference issues.

Dan
Old 09-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #18
ducker

What I'm not following is why the MoCA needs to go back to the cable modem via Cable as well as cat6.

Is it because you place the MoCA filter on the same coax plug that the cable modem is currently sitting on - and thus you need to hit the MoCA filter first and then then Cable modem?

I'm looking at this closely because the wifi where my tivo is weak. and the idea of getting my tivo box wired would be great if I want to go down the streaming route...

Thanks

... and in doing a little more digging it looks like Verizon FiOS people already have a cable modem which can create a MoCA network. I should look in to this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
*** Looks like I took too long to write my post! Good information above.

I am not following you... Yes, a direct ethernet connection is easier and preferred. If you have an ethernet connection to your Premier, you are done. Connect your Stream directly to your router and everthing should work for you.

If you do not have an ethernet port near your TiVo then Moca is a great alternative. You simply use MocA adapters to bring the internet connection accross your coax cable. If you have an Elite/4/XL4 model then the MocA adapter is built into your TiVo. If you have Fios the adapter is built into the router. If not you will need an adapter on either side. (Old ACTIONTEC routers work well as MocA adapters.)

Last edited by ducker : 09-26-2012 at 10:10 AM.
ducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #19
ducker

ok.. so after reading all up.. if a person is on FiOS all they need is a single MoCA adapter at the point where the tivo box is - to convert the data signal from Coax to to cat6 and then plug it in to the back of your tivo... and done.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #20
BigJimOutlaw

The primary moca adapter comes before the modem... coax > moca adapter > modem. This is so that it can capture the moca signals from the other adapters in the house, because the modem doesn't pass-through the moca signal. A "loop" is necessary to capture the moca signal before the modem, and spit it out over ethernet to the router, so the modem will "see" it as a regular request from the router.

I'm probably totally muddying the reasoning/terminology, but I am trying. lol.

A person on Fios does not need a moca adapter at the router, because it's integrated into the router, yes. All they need is an adapter at the Tivo (unless they have a 4-tuner model which has moca support built in).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-26-2012 at 11:14 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
ok.. so after reading all up.. if a person is on FiOS all they need is a single MoCA adapter at the point where the tivo box is - to convert the data signal from Coax to to cat6 and then plug it in to the back of your tivo... and done.
If the TiVo is an Elite/XL4 you don't even need that, those units have built in MoCa support. If it's a standard Premiere then yes you just need the one adapter at the TiVo end to convert from MoCa to Ethernet.

Dan
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #22
ducker

Quote:
If the TiVo is an Elite/XL4 you don't even need that, those units have built in MoCa support. If it's a standard Premiere then yes you just need the one adapter at the TiVo end to convert from MoCa to Ethernet.

Dan
Yep... I'm a standard 2 tuner Premier owner.. bummer

Thanks for the feedback all!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
ALK3011

I have DSL so the cable coming into the room where my router (airport) is, is going directly to a tv.

Question 1. Can I use a splitter, split the cable signal there and put one part to the tv and one part on the MoCa adapter, and then connect the MoCa adapter to my Router? (of course adding a MoCa adapter at the TiVo end as well)

Question 2 - Could I instead use a Actiontec - 500 Mbps Powerline Home Theater Network Adapter Kit, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Actionte...MBPS&cp=1&lp=5

that would create an ethernet jack right by my Tivo?
Has anyone done this??
ALK3011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #24
Dan203
Super Moderator

The MoCa adapter I have has a pass through port, so no need for a splitter. Just connect the cable to the MoCa adapter and then connect the output of that to the TV.

Powerline networking isn't as reliable as MoCa but it will work. I had a 200Mbps powerline network when I first got my Stream and it worked fine. However I upgraded to MoCa because I was having some issues with pausing and lengthy downloads. MoCa is much faster even though they have the same theoretical bandwidth.

Dan
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
ALK3011

thanks! very helpful. The powerline adapters I have on hold at Best Buy to pick up after work are 500bps. Plus it cannot be lengthier than the Tivo to mac to Roxio Toast to ipad route. Just tivo to mac over my g wireless takes HOURS
Old 10-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALK3011 View Post
Question 2 - Could I instead use a Actiontec - 500 Mbps Powerline Home Theater Network Adapter Kit, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Actionte...MBPS&cp=1&lp=5

that would create an ethernet jack right by my Tivo?
Go look at your breaker box. Does it have two columns of circuit breakers? If yes, are the breakers for the sockets at both ends in the same column of breakers? If yes, the Actiontek device should be fine. If not, then the two outlets are likely to be on different phases and the power-line adapter might not work as well as you would expect it to.

Aside the from different phase issue with power-line adapters, both approaches seem reasonable.
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #27
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousMark View Post
Go look at your breaker box. Does it have two columns of circuit breakers? If yes, are the breakers for the sockets at both ends in the same column of breakers? If yes, the Actiontek device should be fine. If not, then the two outlets are likely to be on different phases and the power-line adapter might not work as well as you would expect it to.

Aside the from different phase issue with power-line adapters, both approaches seem reasonable.
My house has three separate areas for power. Powerline adapters just don't work for me.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #28
ALK3011

I do have 2 columns in my circuit box, but I live in a small 2 bedroom condo. I highly doubt I have more than one area of power - but I will check when I get home from work.

thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

If you have a 220 outlet then you have two phases. The two column indicator is really only a hint and isn't terribly accurate. I just checked my breaker box and it only has one long column, but I know that different areas are on different phases. I remember a previous house where each column was a single phase. So all in all, it is just something to watch out for when using power-line adapters. You can always try them and return them if it doesn't work well.
CuriousMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think they make little jumpers that plug into a 220 outlet that will allow powerline networks to bridge the two phases. Although it might just be easier to use MoCa.

Dan