TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
NightmarePatrol

TiVo on FiOS - Q&A

There is another thread about this but it's also five years old, so I am going ask some questions I have that need to ask to get current information on.

The background: Live north of Tampa and have FiOS with a FiOS DVR. It's okay but periodically drops series from the recording schedule for no apparent reason. We had a TiVO powered DVR through Direct TV and my since my wife manages the recording schedules, etc I am immediately informed of the malfunction and how much the TiVO is missed.

So the questions I have are as follow that relate specifically to TiVO Primiere 4 tuner models on FiOS.

1) Which cable cards should I insist that verizon provide? We are HBO subscribers too if that matters.

2) Do the TiVo Premiere DVR have something along the line of an "app store" where specific apps can be downloaded?

3) Since we have a multi room DVR we will require one of the multi room devices. Is there a specific model/firmware version that works best or a minimum or these devices?

4) Can a TiVO see a Serviio media server? (We are a linux house)

5) What are the other caveats I need to know about with TiVo's on FiOS?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Teeps

I am not a FIOS user; the following information was read in other threads and TiVo.com web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmarePatrol View Post
1) Which cable cards should I insist that verizon provide? We are HBO subscribers too if that matters.
One M-card (multi stream) for each TiVo
Quote:
2) Do the TiVo Premiere DVR have something along the line of an "app store" where specific apps can be downloaded?
Yes, there are some apps available. http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/product-f...ted/index.html
Quote:
3) Since we have a multi room DVR we will require one of the multi room devices. Is there a specific model/firmware version that works best or a minimum or these devices?
You will need a TiVo Premier for each room.
Quote:
4) Can a TiVO see a Serviio media server? (We are a linux house)
Don't know; probably not.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
NightmarePatrol

Thanks for the answers!

I had to go back through the vault. Has there been any word on this item yet? It looks like it may eliminate the need for a second TiVo from what I read.

The app thing was more for the TiVo itself rather than ancillary devices. Samsung has this built into some of their newer TV's. I was just wondering is TiVo had anything like that.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Teeps

Quote:
Thanks for the answers!

I had to go back through the vault. Has there been any word on this item yet? It looks like it may eliminate the need for a second TiVo from what I read.
That stream thing, as I understand, only transfers programs to Apple i-devices (phone, pad) related hardware.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
plazman30

You can easily set up pyTivo on a Linux box, if you want the TiVo to see videos on your Linux box. pyTivo looks like another TiVo to the ones you already have. You can't stream from pyTiVo, but you can copy to your TiVo from PyTivo. In reality, it's not much different. If you start copying a show and press play right away, you're able to watch in real-time assuming the box running pyTivo has a half decent CPU in it.

TiVo does't have an app store, but out of the box it has:

Hulu Plus
Pandora
Netflix
Youtube
Amazon VOD

There are some home media applications available for TiVo, but nothing to write home about.

I have 2 Premieres, FIOS and Linux boxes and Macs in my house (proud to be Windows FREE!).

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Last edited by plazman30 : 10-04-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Add more info
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
waynomo
My One Time

Do I recall TiVo announcing a product that would act like TiVo Stream, but attach to another TV in the house? I am now thinking that I must be confused, but having something like this would be great.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
plazman30

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Do I recall TiVo announcing a product that would act like TiVo Stream, but attach to another TV in the house? I am now thinking that I must be confused, but having something like this would be great.
I believe that was the TiVo mini everyone was talking about.
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman30 View Post
I believe that was the TiVo mini everyone was talking about.
Yes, that is what I was talking about! So I am not losing my mind. TY.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=491537
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote