TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
almighty
Lost in the sticks..

Cable card not pairing, what would you do?

So I just re-activated my Tivo Premiere XL (2 tuner version) after growing tired of the HTPC experiment and using HD Primes. When I moved the cable card over to the Tivo, Charter entered the information I gave them (supposedly correcty) and the card will not pair to the card slot in the Tivo. On the conditional access screen I have:

Auth:S (good, means subscribed right?)
but
Val:? 0x0A (needs to be Val:V ...)

Charter is insistent on a truck roll. based on all the years experience I have had with cable card devices, it is my opinion that:

1) they have entered my info wrong somewhere (or the card has gone bad)
2) truck roll will do absolutely no good, short of installing a new card, which they could just FEDEX me cheaper than a truck roll.

What does everyone else think about this? Am I off base? I just dont have the 2-4 hours to sit around waiting for the truck roll, work is busy, life is busy.

Appreciate feedback, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conditional-access-screen.jpg (54.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by almighty : 09-25-2012 at 09:38 AM.
almighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #2
moyekj

I think you should call back and try a different tech. I had the same problem with my Motorola CableCard in a Premiere recently where I had "Val: ?" and the card would not decrypt copy-protected content (non-zero CCI content). Over phone I asked Cox to properly pair my card and gave them all of the information:
CableCard ID
Host ID
Data ID
Cox tech entered the information and sent a hit but each time I got the hit the Data ID number would change, so I kept insisting he was sending the wrong kind of signal - I think a reset. Eventually he did something different (but wouldn't tell me what) where the Data ID no longer changed and then I got "Val: V" under Conditional Access and then everything tuned correctly from that point on.

So when you are on the call make sure you are looking at the "CableCARD Pairing" screen and provide the latest Data ID # and then watch that screen when they send a hit to see if Data ID # keeps changing. Until the # in their system matches the one you see the card will not be properly validated.

I wish I could give more specific information but I do believe there are different kinds of hits cable company can send while pairing a card and you have to get someone that really knows what they are doing to get it right. A truck roll is not really needed for that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
almighty
Lost in the sticks..

Interesting.. So your DATA ID changed? I didnt know that was possible, and I've been going on the assumption that it hadnt changed in the process, but I guess I better check that to see if it is different than the number I supplied.

I agree a truck roll is a waste of time/money as this is all data entry unless the card has gone bad. And as the closest location from my house is 50 minutes away, shipping me a new card is much cheaper if the card has indeed failed.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
almighty
Lost in the sticks..

Well shoot that theory to bits, the DATA ID didnt change.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by almighty View Post
Well shoot that theory to bits, the DATA ID didnt change.
I would still call back and check all 3 numbers with them and watch the "CableCARD Pairing" screen when they try to re-validate the card just to make sure DATA ID doesn't change. The other approach is have them send a RESET or whatever the signal is that should reset the card and update DATA ID just to make sure their hits are actually getting through.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by almighty View Post
Appreciate feedback, thanks!
If your system uses a tuning adapter.
Disconnect "it" from TiVo; both RG6 and USB cables.
Connect TiVo directly to incoming cable.

Then call for a pair hit.

If not; never mind...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #7
almighty
Lost in the sticks..

Found the issue. Both the UMatter2Charter team (their online CSR's) and the local headend tech couldnt seem to type in the DATA ID correctly. Luckily, I have a friend that works for Charter in Marketing, and he had me call directly into one of the tech guys at one of the super-headends that has cleared up issues for him in the past, and he had it fixed within 2 minutes. Really a shame that something so simple caused this much issue, and that they wanted (insisted) to do a truck roll for no reason.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
Big_Craig

I am having a similar issue with my new Tivo Premiere. The conditional access page is showing Val:? and I've had them pair the card several times. My older Series 3 had no issues and shows the Val:V. Thanks for the info on Data IDs
Big_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote