TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
unitron

WD20EURS--$100 at newegg 'til Tuesday

Deals expire at
11:59pm PT on 10/02/2012!

Free shipping

3 year warranty

Known to work in S3s and S4s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3&Tpk=wd20eurs

Don't forget to use wdidle3 on it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Deals expire at
11:59pm PT on 10/02/2012!

Free shipping

3 year warranty

Known to work in S3s and S4s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...3&Tpk=wd20eurs

Don't forget to use wdidle3 on it.

Naturally they waited until after I dropped $120 on one from Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

What is widdle3?
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty View Post
What is widdle3?
To remove the time out park control that these drives have, some TiVos don't work well with this turn on. The software is a free download, just look up widdle3 on Google if you ever get one of these WD drives to upgrade a TiVo.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
What is widdle3?
You misspelled it and made me fear for a moment that I had.

It's wd, for Western Digital, and idle, for, well, idle, and I guess there were 2 previous versions.

Some, if not most, of the WD Caviar Green drives have a feature called "Intellipark".

If the drive hasn't been called upon in X number of seconds, it parks the heads and, I think, quits spinning the platters.

It basically puts the drive to sleep.

The idea is to save electricity.

TiVos weren't designed to deal with sleeping hard drives.

When a TiVo does a soft reboot, or what would also be called a warm boot on a computer, which is basically a reset without disconnecting the electricity, the motherboard quits talking to the drive for a while as it boots back up, loading it's own code into memory (RAM) before looking for a hard drive and loading the rest of the operating system from it.

By that time, a WD drive with Intellipark at the default setting has gone to sleep.

It doesn't wake up right away.

The motherboard interprets that as no communication with the drive and resets itself to try again.

Which means by the time the drive wakes up and says "here I am, what do you want?" the motherboard isn't yet listening, so the drive goes back to sleep, so it's asleep again when the motherboard gets to the point of calling on it.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The wdidle3 utility allows you to either disable Intellipark or to set the time it waits to a very high number, like 300 seconds (5 minutes), which effectively does the same thing, because a re-booting TiVo will try to talk to the drive within the first 60 seconds or so.

A momentary power failure can cause a TiVo to soft boot, and if it downloads an OS update it'll store it in the alternate partitions and wait 'til the middle of the night to reboot and switch to the alternate partitions, and that's when Intellipark can put it into an endless reboot loop if it's not been dealt with.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Hmm. I upgraded a TiVo to this drive a week ago and didn't know about this utility that you speak about. So far the TiVo is acting just as it should and I hope it stays that way.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Hmm. I upgraded a TiVo to this drive a week ago and didn't know about this utility that you speak about. So far the TiVo is acting just as it should and I hope it stays that way.
If necessary, you can run it later, it works at a level "below" the software on the drive platters where all the TiVo stuff is, so it won't break anything.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Amazon Too

Also Amazon has dropped their price today, I bet just to match Newegg though, I picked up 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp/B0042AG9V8/

My experience, no need for wdidle3. I have never tweaked the WD20EURS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Also Amazon has dropped their price today, I bet just to match Newegg though, I picked up 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...dp/B0042AG9V8/

My experience, no need for wdidle3. I have never tweaked the WD20EURS.
I'm halfway tempted to order one and return the one I just bought from them for a refund, just for making me feel like I got jerked around by them.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Contact Amazon - they may give you a credit.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
tivohaydon

Quote:
I'm halfway tempted to order one and return the one I just bought from them for a refund, just for making me feel like I got jerked around by them.
These things do change in price almost daily so don't be too sore. I know I'm pretty happy that I purchased a bunch of drives right before the floods that sent drive prices skyrocketing. Most of the time with technology driven items consumers are on the losing side of the equation since they always get cheaper(*) over time.

(*) notable exceptions are television, cellular and banking
tivohaydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post
These things do change in price almost daily so don't be too sore. I know I'm pretty happy that I purchased a bunch of drives right before the floods that sent drive prices skyrocketing. Most of the time with technology driven items consumers are on the losing side of the equation since they always get cheaper(*) over time.

This model didn't change in price almost daily 'cause I watched it for about a month before I pulled the trigger a little under 2 weeks ago and kept watching up until yesterday.

It wasn't until today, when newegg put it on sale, that Amazon magically dropped it 16%, or as I put it in an email to them, that they suddenly destroyed 16% of the value of my purchase.

We'll see what they have to say in return later, perhaps.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivohaydon View Post

When you talk about television being an exception to the cheaper over time rule, do you mean the hardware, or the cable bill?

If you say anything about being a Time-Warner customer, I'll have my answer.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for contacting us about the recent price change on Western Digital AV-GP 2 TB SATA II Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Hard Drive.

I recognize you have a choice of retailers and appreciate that you prefer to order from us. Unfortunately, we do not have a post-order price guarantee.

I've reviewed your order and see that the price change is significant from the time the item shipped.

Under the circumstances, I'll make an exception and will issue a refund for the price difference in the amount of $20.00. You should see the refund in the next 2-3 business days.

Once processed, you'll also be able to see the refund request here:

Redacted by me.

More information about our pricing policies can be found on our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...?nodeId=468502

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you for your inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:

Redacted by me.

If no, please click here:

Redacted by me.

Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

Johnlenin S.
We hope to see you again soon!
Amazon.com

Look at the name of the responding CSR.

Of course I was already smiling before I got that far down the page.

They still have flaws, but my opinion of Amazon's intent to do the right thing has risen somewhat, and they'll probably get that $20 back off of me before long.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
jlin

I have an S3 with an older 2TB Seagate green drive from perhaps a year ago.

I'm thinking about buying this drive and swap it out and keep the Seagate as a backup.

Would there be any speed improvement on using this drive (64MB cache) and what 'disk cloning' utility should I use to copy the content over from the original 2TB Seagate?
jlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin View Post
I have an S3 with an older 2TB Seagate green drive from perhaps a year ago.

I'm thinking about buying this drive and swap it out and keep the Seagate as a backup.

Would there be any speed improvement on using this drive (64MB cache) and what 'disk cloning' utility should I use to copy the content over from the original 2TB Seagate?
Would there be any speed improvement? I have no idea.

However, since the EURS is designed to be an A/V drive (worry more about keeping up with the video stream 24/7 than spend time on error correction) I'd use it in a TiVo and a non-AV drive in a computer where you worry more about data integrity, and $100 for a 3 year warranty 2TB drive is a good price just now.

As to how to "Xerox" the Seagate...

Assuming you've successfully expanded that Seagate to use all of the space on it and the LBA number of both drives is identical

then burn yourself a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 from mfslive.org.

Burn it as an image so that it's bootable.

Connect only the Seagate and the new WD and a cd or dvd drive to the computer and make sure it's set to boot from the cd.

After it boots and settles down to a command line prompt, enter

fdisk -l

(that's a lowercase L)

and see which one it says is

/dev/sda

and which one it says is

/dev/sdb

assuming the cd drive isn't one of those.

Also, since the Seagate has TiVo partitions on it and the WD will be blank, you can then do

pdisk -l

and it'll show one with an Apple Partition Map (that'll be the Seatgate) and one without any partition info.

If you can't get it set up so that the Seagate is

/dev/sda

and the WD is

/dev/sdb

then adjust the command string I'm about to give you accordingly so that the source drive (the Seagate) comes first and the target (the WD) comes second and the cd drive isn't mentioned.

The command is

dd_rescue -v /dev/sda /dev/sdb

This assumes that there's nothing going wrong with the Seagate and you don't need to enter any additional parameters to make it do anything special to try to rescue data from a failing drive.

The verbose option

-v

means it'll maintain an ongoing onscreen display of its progress as it "Xeroxes" the Seagate to the WD.

If the screen goes blank after a while, hit the spacebar to bring it back up.

Be sure that you're sure that you know for an absolute fact which drive is which when it comes to the whole

/dev/sd?

thing, so that you don't wind up filling the Seagate with Gigabytes of empty.

When it finally finishes copying a few hours later, enter the command

poweroff

and the computer will shut down.

Before you do the copy, get the WD diagnostic software and run the long test on that new drive to make sure there's nothing wrong with it.

And after you get the TiVo up and running with the WD, hang on to the Seagate for a few days "just in case" before you do anything else with it.

If that's an original OLED S3 (TCD648250) and not an S3 HD, how about run WinMFS on the Seagate and copy and paste the output of mfsinfo so I can see the partion table and such.

If it's an HD (TCD652160, or TCD658000), don't bother.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
Johncv

Quote:
Look at the name of the responding CSR.

Of course I was already smiling before I got that far down the page.

They still have flaws, but my opinion of Amazon's intent to do the right thing has risen somewhat, and they'll probably get that $20 back off of me before long.
What special about the name? Is he on this forum?

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
What special about the name? Is he on this forum?
John Lennon or Lenin?

Ever see the old Firesign Theatre album cover* All Hail Marx Lennon, with Groucho and John?

*actual album name "How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All"

Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
jlin

Quote:
If that's an original OLED S3 (TCD648250) and not an S3 HD, how about run WinMFS on the Seagate and copy and paste the output of mfsinfo so I can see the partion table and such.

If it's an HD (TCD652160, or TCD658000), don't bother.
It's an HD TCD652160

Thanks for your detailed instruction. Is there Windows/GUI-based cloning software I can use? I'm a little scared of command prompt-based instructions.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #20
vurbano

Quote:
You misspelled it and made me fear for a moment that I had.

It's wd, for Western Digital, and idle, for, well, idle, and I guess there were 2 previous versions.

Some, if not most, of the WD Caviar Green drives have a feature called "Intellipark".

If the drive hasn't been called upon in X number of seconds, it parks the heads and, I think, quits spinning the platters.

It basically puts the drive to sleep.

The idea is to save electricity.

TiVos weren't designed to deal with sleeping hard drives.

When a TiVo does a soft reboot, or what would also be called a warm boot on a computer, which is basically a reset without disconnecting the electricity, the motherboard quits talking to the drive for a while as it boots back up, loading it's own code into memory (RAM) before looking for a hard drive and loading the rest of the operating system from it.

By that time, a WD drive with Intellipark at the default setting has gone to sleep.

It doesn't wake up right away.

The motherboard interprets that as no communication with the drive and resets itself to try again.

Which means by the time the drive wakes up and says "here I am, what do you want?" the motherboard isn't yet listening, so the drive goes back to sleep, so it's asleep again when the motherboard gets to the point of calling on it.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The wdidle3 utility allows you to either disable Intellipark or to set the time it waits to a very high number, like 300 seconds (5 minutes), which effectively does the same thing, because a re-booting TiVo will try to talk to the drive within the first 60 seconds or so.

A momentary power failure can cause a TiVo to soft boot, and if it downloads an OS update it'll store it in the alternate partitions and wait 'til the middle of the night to reboot and switch to the alternate partitions, and that's when Intellipark can put it into an endless reboot loop if it's not been dealt with.
I've used 6 WD AV-GP drives in 3 premieres and 3 tivohd units and never used this. All function perfectly.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
It's an HD TCD652160

Thanks for your detailed instruction. Is there Windows/GUI-based cloning software I can use? I'm a little scared of command prompt-based instructions.
"Is there Windows/GUI-based cloning software I can use?"

I do not know.

I fear most of them would be looking for some sort of DOS type partition structure (or might even try to create one)

Perhaps WinMFS, select the Seagate, then click on mfscopy, then select the WD as the target.

At least it understands TiVo drives.

How did you get all 2TB of the Seagate expanded into?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #22
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
I've used 6 WD AV-GP drives in 3 premieres and 3 tivohd units and never used this. All function perfectly.
Perhaps the AV-GP drives, as opposed to the regular Green Power (GP) drives, come from the factory with it disabled.

But drives like the WD20EARS and the WD20EADS didn't.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #23
jlin

Quote:
"
How did you get all 2TB of the Seagate expanded into?
I followed the instruction for expanding and supersizing S3 HD's...

I first used JMFS to expand the drive.. the supersizing program is Windows based WinMFS

I believe I saw there's an option to 'clone the drive' on JMFS.. not sure.
The program isn't command-based but multiple-choice style.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #24
tivohaydon

Quote:
When you talk about television being an exception to the cheaper over time rule, do you mean the hardware, or the cable bill?

If you say anything about being a Time-Warner customer, I'll have my answer.
I think this was a rhetorical question but I'm thankfully not in your Time-Warner shoes. I'm talking about the television/cable service, not the televisions themselves. The consumer electronics hardware part of the viewing experience has very healthy competition and we can get amazing products at affordable prices.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #25
unitron

Quote:
I followed the instruction for expanding and supersizing S3 HD's...

I first used JMFS to expand the drive.. the supersizing program is Windows based WinMFS

I believe I saw there's an option to 'clone the drive' on JMFS.. not sure.
The program isn't command-based but multiple-choice style.
jmfs is command line, it just enters the commands for you.

You just made me remember that a week or two ago when I replaced a WD20EADS that I'd expanded with jmfs for an S3 HD with a WD20EURS, I tried mfscopy in WinMFS, and it choked on it.

The first choice jmfs gives is to copy a source drive to a target drive.

It uses

ddrescue

I think, which is similar to

dd_rescue

so just use jmfs to "clone" (be sure to get the source and target right) and it probably won't ask if you want to expand because it probably won't find any extra space, but if it does, it gives you the option to say no, which you should do, and then you're done.

And you've only been sort of in the same room as that scary old command line.

THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR WHAT I WAS ABOUT TO PUT HERE BUT COMPLETELY FORGOT WITHIN THE SPACE OF A FEW SECONDS WHEN I REMEMBER IT.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #26
bmgoodman

Between NewEgg and Amazon, who does a better job of securely packaging the drives?
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #27
innocentfreak

Amazon definitely. Newegg can be hit or miss.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
Between NewEgg and Amazon, who does a better job of securely packaging the drives?
I think it partly depends on how the drive is packed when they get it.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #29
jlin

I'm buying it from Newegg since my Citicard gets me extra 5% back since it's an 'electronic store' plus I get another 2% back from ebates.com
Old 10-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
tivohaydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I've never had a bare drive shipped in anything but bubble wrap from Newegg. Amazon always packages drives separately in their own boxes with shock mounts.