TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Rabbit1965
Lurker

Angry Series 2 doesnt change CableBox channels

Because of a digital transition at my cable company, I had to get a cable box from them... the Motorola one.

So I have set up my Tivo2 to use the IR channel changing, and the setup works fine, the tests pass and the Tivo seems to be able to change the channels on the cable box.

However, when watching live TV, when I change the channel on the TiVo remote, it changes the Tivo from 3 to 4 (or 2) and loses the cable signal which apparently is on channel 3. The channel on the cable box does NOT change.

Given that the TiVo seems to be aware of how to change cablebox channels during the tests, why isn't it doing so the same way when I am watching? Also, when I set up recordings, same thing. It changes the TiVo channel and not the cablebox channels (so I know it's not a remote control thing). I go thru the channel-changing setup and all it does is run the tests and says it knows how, but not that it will actually do so, so is there a setting I am missing?

Advice please?
Rabbit1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If you haven't already done so, you need to run guided setup again and tell the Tivo it is working with a cable box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Rabbit1965
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If you haven't already done so, you need to run guided setup again and tell the Tivo it is working with a cable box.
Thanks for replying, Steve.

What I did is go to Settings->Channel->Channel Changing

I tell it I am using IR & cable box, and it runs thru the tests and is able to change channels. After the tests it says it knows how to do it.

I would think this would be sufficient. I can't find anywhere else where I should say "ok, now that you can, please do so". Under troubleshooting, it tells me to go and do the Settings exercise.

I have done this a few times now.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You would need to change the connection between the cable box and Tivo to use composite(yellow/white/red) instead of coax. You would also need to run Guided setup. Using coax with a cable box, Tivo will always change channels on the tuner instead of the cable box.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit1965 View Post
Thanks for replying, Steve.

What I did is go to Settings->Channel->Channel Changing

I tell it I am using IR & cable box, and it runs thru the tests and is able to change channels. After the tests it says it knows how to do it.

I would think this would be sufficient. I can't find anywhere else where I should say "ok, now that you can, please do so". Under troubleshooting, it tells me to go and do the Settings exercise.

I have done this a few times now.
That only tests the functionality - it does not make it permanent.

You need to go to Messages & Settings -> Restart or Reset System -> Repeat Guided Setup.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #6
Rabbit1965
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
That only tests the functionality - it does not make it permanent.

You need to go to Messages & Settings -> Restart or Reset System -> Repeat Guided Setup.

OK, I will get back to you!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Rabbit1965
Lurker

Looks like it's not gonna work out. The problem was that the cable guy hooked the cable box directly into the TiVo input, which is why I could see everything on channel 3. I was able to set it up like the TiVo box itself recommends, where the actual cable goes into the RF input and the cable box goes thru the video cables.

However, the raw cable, now being digital, means the Tivo series 2 cannot deal with it, and so states that it cannot record. The "live TV" setting sees only from the raw cable, which it cannot deal with.

At least with the cable guy's setup, I could always record manually on channel 3 and set up the cable box to whatever channel. If I am not going to be around for a time, I can only record that one channel.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It doesn't sound like you have your configuration right.

You need to set up the system as such:

Cable wall outlet -> Cable box -> Tivo -> TV

The connection from the cable wall outlet to the cable box will be a coax cable.

From the cable box to the Tivo, you have to use composite cables (red, white, and yellow RCA style). Connect from the cable box A/V output to the Tivo A/V input.

Then from the Tivo to the TV you again use composite cables from the Tivo A/V output to the TV A/V input
>OR<
you can use the RF out from the Tivo to the RF in on the TV with coax cable.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 10-06-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Set up diagram
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/97
Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Rabbit1965
Lurker

Old 10-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Rabbit1965
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post

That's for a single tuner, the dual tuner setup is here:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...lkL0ZIUktTMzhs

And this is the setup I am currently at, wherein the Tivo2 says it cannot record ANYTHIGN as the input from the split cable directly into the Tivo is now digital and the Tivo cannot read it.

If the Tivo were smart enough to say "well I can record but only from the cable box" I would consider this good enough.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
cannonz

Quote:
That's for a single tuner, the dual tuner setup is here:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...lkL0ZIUktTMzhs

And this is the setup I am currently at, wherein the Tivo2 says it cannot record ANYTHIGN as the input from the split cable directly into the Tivo is now digital and the Tivo cannot read it.

If the Tivo were smart enough to say "well I can record but only from the cable box" I would consider this good enough.
You have to disable dual tuner, click on show steps. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/132
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Rabbit1965
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
You have to disable dual tuner, click on show steps. http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/132
OK, that did it. I guess I had to give up the whole 'dual tuner' dream, which may be what Steve and Scandia were trying to tell me also.

OK, guys, that sets it up for me! Thanks a bazillion to you all.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

If you want dual tuners, you could upgrade to a series 3/HD or Premiere. For 4 tuners, there is only Premiere 4 or 4XL, however, this is only for digital cable. With these, you can ditch the cable box and use cable cards.

For the monthly subscription side, you can get a Series 3, HD or HD XL, and keep the 6.95 or 9.95.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
OK, that did it. I guess I had to give up the whole 'dual tuner' dream, which may be what Steve and Scandia were trying to tell me also.

OK, guys, that sets it up for me! Thanks a bazillion to you all.
Glad you got it worked out.

Yeah, it would have helped if you had specified what model you have (TCD xxx). We could have told you up front that you would be losing dual tuner capability.
There is only one model Series 2 that has dual tuners. The rest are all single tuners.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
cannonz

Are you 100% digital, you might have locals and a few others. If so just make sure ones that you need cable box for don't have cbl by them just box so the tivo wont use it's tuner for them.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote