TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Wilhite
...no stinkin' title

ESPN 30 For 30 - Anyone watching?

Anyone else watching these?

http://30for30.espn.com/

30 documentaries produced by various people on various subjects in the sports world. I recorded several of them and have watched some. I have found them to be pretty entertaining so far.

7 of the 30 have aired but you can set up a season pass (or whatever your DVR calls it) and probably catch them. I only have one that I haven't recorded yet.
  • Kings Ransom - the trade of Wayne Gretzky
  • The Band That Wouldn't Die - the move of the Baltimore Colts
  • Small Potatoes: Who Killed The USFL?
  • Mohammad and Larry - Ali and Holmes
  • Without Bias - The Death of Len Bias
  • The Legend Of Jimmy The Greek
  • The U - the story of the University of Miami in the 80's/90's
Some of the upcoming topics include Terry Fox, Steve Bartman, OJ's Bronco Ride, Marcus Dupree, Chris/Martina, the birth of Fantasy Sports...

from me. Hope you enjoy them too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wilhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
hanumang
Invisible Artist

Yeah, I've been enjoying them. Missed the first two though.

I thought the USFL one was the best (surprisingly) with the Len Bias ep coming in second. The U was good, but it was a little too congratulatory. I get that the team's image was (is) all about confidence, but they needed to rein it in a little.

In terms of those still to come, can't wait for the Reggie Miller vs. Knicks one.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
marksman
ID-10-T

I think I have only watched the USFL one so far, but I have the rest saved.

I just heard an interview about two guys who made one about Al Davis and LA, and I think it is coming out in April.

This was a very cool idea by ESPN.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
HiddenSky
Let's Go Flyers!

I'm watching Kings Ransom right now.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I thought they were all pretty well done. I thought Kings Ransom was the worst and kind of typical in the way that ESPN treats hockey in general, which disappointed me as an avid hockey fan. My two favorites were the USFL one (and I loved how they pretty much blamed Trump for it's demise), and the Baltimore Band (but they so romanticized it that the irony of the fact that the Ravens were brought to Baltimore at the expense of the Cleveland fans, exactly the same situation that happend to those same Colt fans). The Holmes/Ali one was interesting too. I even enjoyed the Len Bias story even though I'm not a big basketball fan. It did make me think why his friends aren't in prison for murder for giving him the drugs, and why they didn't make more of the point his friends were insinuating, that Bias was a drug user prior to his death.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I'd heard people talking about them and heard good things about the USFL one and the Baltimore Colts band one, so I recorded those when they did a marathon over New Years. I watched the USFL one and enjoyed it. Haven't watched the band one yet. I'll probably check out a few of the upcoming ones, if there are topics I'm interested in.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

I've recorded them all, and watched all except the Baltimore Band. I was in junior high when ESPN hit the air, so all of these so far are very vivid in my memory as a sports fan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I thought Kings Ransom was the worst and kind of typical in the way that ESPN treats hockey in general, which disappointed me as an avid hockey fan.
Every director chose his subject matter based upon their personal interest. It wasn't ESPN that mishandled it, it was Peter Berg that was responsible. And I agree that it was the weakest of what I have seen so far.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

I've been recording them and have watched the ones on the USFL, Bias, the Greek and the U. All were pretty good but the USFL one was the most enjoyable for me.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
trnsfrguy
Advanced !

I've only seen the one on the USFL and enjoyed it. Having gone to most of the NJ Generals home games in their short life, I was very interested in it.
MK code 1762-3068-7645/ Carlos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trnsfrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

I've watched them all. Feel the same way about the as SteveNJ except I agree with Megahertz can't blame ESPN for the Kings Ransom one. ESPN actually ran an interview with Berg that was more interesting than the film he did.
JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnsfrguy View Post
I've only seen the one on the USFL and enjoyed it. Having gone to most of the NJ Generals home games in their short life, I was very interested in it.
I was living in AZ at the time and went to the first ever USFL game (first ever pro-football game) in Sun Devil Stadium between the Arizona Wrangers and the Oakland team. IRC we got blanked. Also went to Hershel Walker's USFL breakout game (his first 100 yard game) against AZ. It was a fun league, and ESPN's first attempt to cover pro football.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
I've recorded them all, and watched all except the Baltimore Band. I was in junior high when ESPN hit the air, so all of these so far are very vivid in my memory as a sports fan.
Every director chose his subject matter based upon their personal interest. It wasn't ESPN that mishandled it, it was Peter Berg that was responsible. And I agree that it was the weakest of what I have seen so far.
I agree, except it is typical of ESPN to choose a story about hockey that doesn't put it in a good light. It was just a poor story choice. I was going to say NY Rangers quest for the cup as a better "feel good" hockey story, but I don't think ESPN had hockey that year. Ahh well, just venting. The series has been good overall.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:55 PM   #13
jschuman

Quote:
I agree, except it is typical of ESPN to choose a story about hockey that doesn't put it in a good light. It was just a poor story choice. I was going to say NY Rangers quest for the cup as a better "feel good" hockey story, but I don't think ESPN had hockey that year. Ahh well, just venting. The series has been good overall.
One of the upcoming documentaries is about June 17, 1994 - which includes the Rangers championship (probably the parade?):
http://30for30.espn.com/film/june-17-1994.html
jschuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #14
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuman View Post
One of the upcoming documentaries is about June 17, 1994 - which includes the Rangers championship (probably the parade?):
http://30for30.espn.com/film/june-17-1994.html
Cool. As a Rangers fan, I'm sure that will be the highlight of these films for me What was really cool about that time is the Knicks were ALSO in the NBA finals at the same time.

Reading the link it looks like it's about the day not the Cup finals. My guess is that the Rangers will be mentioned in passing while they will play up (understandably) the OJ stuff. If they play up the Arnold Palmer stuff as a major event I will puke. I don't even recall that happening around then with all this other stuff going on.

Last edited by Steveknj : 01-26-2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: To add:
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #15
fmowry

I watched the USFL, Bias, and Jimmy the Greek shows. Being a Terp fan during Bias playing days, that really brought back good and bad memories. Bias could have been as good as Jordan. And the Celtics could have been dominant for another 10 years.

Frank
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #16
bruinfan

Quote:
this series is not about selecting events and rehashing them... it's about taking an angle of a big sports story that hasn't really been explored before. the wayne gretzky trade was THE biggest hockey story of the last 30 years (this coming from a less than casual hockey fan), and it was interesting to see the anatomy of the trade from different POVs, and the aftermath. it's less about gretzky and his accomplishments and more about the 'players' in the trade, and what they were thinking, incl gretzky... i don't think it has anything to do with good light/bad light... it was a big story, and it was an obvious choice for this series.
Quote:
Cool. As a Rangers fan, I'm sure that will be the highlight of these films for me What was really cool about that time is the Knicks were ALSO in the NBA finals at the same time.

Reading the link it looks like it's about the day not the Cup finals. My guess is that the Rangers will be mentioned in passing while they will play up (understandably) the OJ stuff. If they play up the Arnold Palmer stuff as a major event I will puke. I don't even recall that happening around then with all this other stuff going on.
as your link illustrates, it's less about the finals, and more about the circumstances surrounding the finals, and the sports day in general. surely more interesting than just a rehashing of the stanley cup finals.
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #17
bruinfan

Quote:
I agree, except it is typical of ESPN to choose a story about hockey that doesn't put it in a good light.
as stated earlier, espn did not choose any of the stories.. they approached filmmakers and let them choose the subject matter.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #18
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinfan View Post
this series is not about selecting events and rehashing them... it's about taking an angle of a big sports story that hasn't really been explored before. the wayne gretzky trade was THE biggest hockey story of the last 30 years (this coming from a less than casual hockey fan), and it was interesting to see the anatomy of the trade from different POVs, and the aftermath. it's less about gretzky and his accomplishments and more about the 'players' in the trade, and what they were thinking, incl gretzky... i don't think it has anything to do with good light/bad light... it was a big story, and it was an obvious choice for this series.

as your link illustrates, it's less about the finals, and more about the circumstances surrounding the finals, and the sports day in general. surely more interesting than just a rehashing of the stanley cup finals.
I don't quite agree with you that this was the biggest hockey story in the last 30 years, but I see your point. But, you don't think that ESPN gets final say on what story these directors are doing? As for your second point, a story about a team waiting 54 years to win a Stanley Cup, where whole generations of fans have been waiting, just like the Red Sox did or the Cubs are, is NOT a compelling story? As you say, you're not a hockey fan. I'm not a college football fan, but the story about U of Miami was compelling. Why couldn't a more uplifting hockey story be compelling?

But anyway, that's just a personal pet peeve that probably only a hockey fan would notice. Same way that west coasters notice a certain East Coast bias that I never see, living on the East Coast.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #19
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Anyone know what baseball stories they are doing? I find it interesting that 4 of the first 7 stories are football related. (I'm including the Jimmy the Greek story as football related because he's most famous for his NFL Today stint).
Old 01-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #20
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

The only people that really care about the ranger story are ranger fans. Lets face it, Gretsky's move to L.A. opened up the NHL to other non-traditional markets.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
The only people that really care about the ranger story are ranger fans. Lets face it, Gretsky's move to L.A. opened up the NHL to other non-traditional markets.
That's true, but why would anyone other than Baltimore Colts fans care about them moving to Indy? Or U of Miami fans care about their rise to success? Spike Lee vs. Reggie Miller? Yeah, Knicks and Pacer fans care, who else would? Ali vs. Holmes....that marked the end of an era in boxing...but wouldn't the rise (and fall) of Mike Tyson be a bigger story during the ESPN era? See my point? All of these stories have some regional appeal and if you aren't a fan of teams from that region, they don't matter TO YOU. Of course the biggest hockey story is the 1980 Olympics, but it's been done to death. We'll see, we don't know all the stories yet, so maybe some of these other ones will be done too.

In fact, what stories would everyone want to see done:

besides the one I mentioned above, how about....
  • Bird vs. Magic
  • The Dream Team
  • The preliferation of HRs in the 1990s-2000s
  • The death of the heavyweight division in boxing
  • The NHL strike and the rise of the young stars in it's aftermath
  • Cancelling the 1984 World Series
  • The rise of NASCAR
  • The rise of Pro Wrestling
  • Michael Phelps
  • Super Bowl advertising

Not sure what else...
Old 01-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #22
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

It was a lockout not a strike (NHL). I wouldn't care about half those but would watch them. Just like I've watched all of them so far. Enjoyed the Len Bias episode even though I am not a basketball fan. I just think the Gretsky one was boring especially compared to the others so far. Like I said the interview with the film maker was better than the actual episode. Even though the 80 Olympic team was probably a bigger story, the Gretzky trade had a bigger ripple affect to the NHL as a league.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #23
TheMerk
Always Bid First

I just saw Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks at Sundance the other night. It was utterly riveting. Seriously, make sure you watch it when it premieres on ESPN in March.

/
/
/

TheMerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #24
bruinfan

here's a nice summary of how the whole series was conceived and implemented. gives you insight on why they did or didn't do a story you might be interested in.
bill simmons on 30 for 30
Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #25
inaka

I have a Season Pass for these and I've seen ALL of them what have aired. Really great stuff. I actually thought I missed some since I assumed there were 30 total that aired sometime.

My least favorite was the King's Ransom one. Kind of dull, and I honestly think a Charlie Rose episode with Wayne would have been more intriguing.

The one I ended up liking the most was the one I almost deleted when I saw the subject matter. It was "The U". I can't get over how impressed I am with the way Billy Corben makes films. I was a huge fan of Cocaine Cowboys, and the way The U is presented is much the same way. There's all sorts of filmmaking tweaks like still photos that have some moving action in them as the camera pans by, to really excellent pacing that never left me bored at all.

I can't wait for the others to air...huge fan of this series.

I can't wait for the Fantasy Sports one. I wonder if they'll show the bar in my town of Oakland, CA like King's X (gone now...it's the Tiki Bar) where it all began.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #26
marksman
ID-10-T

Is anyone going to do a movie on monster trucks or billiards? Those were integral parts of ESPN's history.
marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #27
Sparty99

Quote:
I thought they were all pretty well done. I thought Kings Ransom was the worst and kind of typical in the way that ESPN treats hockey in general, which disappointed me as an avid hockey fan. My two favorites were the USFL one (and I loved how they pretty much blamed Trump for it's demise), and the Baltimore Band (but they so romanticized it that the irony of the fact that the Ravens were brought to Baltimore at the expense of the Cleveland fans, exactly the same situation that happend to those same Colt fans). The Holmes/Ali one was interesting too. I even enjoyed the Len Bias story even though I'm not a big basketball fan. It did make me think why his friends aren't in prison for murder for giving him the drugs, and why they didn't make more of the point his friends were insinuating, that Bias was a drug user prior to his death.
A couple of thoughts.

-I really didn't think it was much of a revelation that Trump killed the USFL. It was his choice to move it to the fall; pretty much anyone with any knowledge of the USFL is aware of that.
-Glad you brought up the irony of the Baltimore Band. That's why I wasn't overly enamored of that episode. I can't listen to a Baltimore fan bitch about losing the Colts without thinking, "You did the same effing thing to another town!"
-I thought the Bias thing hit pretty well on the fact that Bias was not just a casual drug user. I'd be willing to bet there are still a fair amount of people familiar with that story who think that was the first time Bias did coke. The thing I found fascinating about that one was that the doctor who essentially created the mandatory minimum terms for crack wound up being disbarred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
I've watched them all. Feel the same way about the as SteveNJ except I agree with Megahertz can't blame ESPN for the Kings Ransom one. ESPN actually ran an interview with Berg that was more interesting than the film he did.
Yeah, I listened to that before seeing the episode, and I'd also read Gretzky's autobiography way back when, so there really wasn't much new there for me. I'm disappointed that they didn't mention in the documentary that Gretzky's wife told him to take the trade to Detroit and that it was Wayne's choice to go to L.A.

Quote:
No, no, no, no, 1000 times no. That would be like me saying the Red Wings-Avalanche rivalry was the most compelling story of the last 30 years. Anyone who knows anything about hockey knows that the Gretzky trade changed hockey forever, for better or worse (thanks Wayne...now we've got teams in Nashville and Miami and Phoenix and Charlotte ). The Rangers winning the Cup was a compelling story for Rangers fans. A more compelling story would be looking at how a team that spent so much money on players could've sucked so badly on a consistent basis.

And yes, ESPN had hockey that year. They crammed the Rangers down our throats (perhaps because the NBA Finals that year was the most boring 7-game series ever). It was all Rangers, all the time. So please, don't sell the idea of the Rangers being a compelling story. You'll find no buyers.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #28
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
The one I ended up liking the most was the one I almost deleted when I saw the subject matter. It was "The U". I can't get over how impressed I am with the way Billy Corben makes films. I was a huge fan of Cocaine Cowboys, and the way The U is presented is much the same way. There's all sorts of filmmaking tweaks like still photos that have some moving action in them as the camera pans by, to really excellent pacing that never left me bored at all.
I really liked that one too. Nothing better than Mike Francesca saying, "They're the best team in the country, but they do not deserve the national championship" (and what the hell was Francesca doing calling a football game!?!).

But I really want to know what the hell was wrong with Bernie Kosar. Were they feeding him liquor as he was filming his scenes? It's no wonder he's broke.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #29
bruinfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
A couple of thoughts.

-I really didn't think it was much of a revelation that Trump killed the USFL. It was his choice to move it to the fall; pretty much anyone with any knowledge of the USFL is aware of that.
how many people have ANY knowledge of the usfl... anyone in my age group and younger (i'm 37) has fleeting, if any knowledge of the usfl. i was in 6th grade maybe... i remember going to an express game... and i knew they had herschel walker... and that's it. and then they were gone. i had no idea donald trump was a player.
being a pretty informed sports fan now, here's what i could tell you about the usfl before watching this:
they had herschel, jim kelly, flutie, steve young?, a franchise in LA, and when the league folded, they somehow made it to the nfl, maybe via draft. it just wasn't in my knowledge base, and there are plenty of people like me.

i found the usfl piece very informative and entertaining.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #30
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinfan View Post
how many people have ANY knowledge of the usfl... anyone in my age group and younger (i'm 37) has fleeting, if any knowledge of the usfl. i was in 6th grade maybe... i remember going to an express game... and i knew they had herschel walker... and that's it. and then they were gone. i had no idea donald trump was a player.
being a pretty informed sports fan now, here's what i could tell you about the usfl before watching this:
they had herschel, jim kelly, flutie, steve young?, a franchise in LA, and when the league folded, they somehow made it to the nfl, maybe via draft. it just wasn't in my knowledge base, and there are plenty of people like me.

i found the usfl piece very informative and entertaining.
A fair point. I too enjoyed the USFL piece, but I've always found the USFL fascinating so I've just absorbed pretty much everything I've ever heard about it. My point wasn't that the USFL piece was bad, but I was surprised that anyone seemed all that surprised that Trump was blamed for the downfall of the league, as I'd always assumed it was well known.

Ironically enough, I'm all of 32. The USFL had come and gone before I started paying any attention to sports.