TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Survivor: Caramoan OAD 2/13/2013 "She Annoys Me Greatly"

Well, I think they're off to a good start for this season. A nice mix of new and old IMO.

Sucks to be Francesca. I guess she simply doesn't have it in her to sit back and just "go along" for a few days. I'm glad Andrea made it. Phillip doesn't seem nearly as crazy this time around.

Gotta love (to hate) the young good looking contingent of the Fans tribe. They will go early. I was impressed that they got a fire started. Seems like after all these years at least a few people have woke up enough to learn a bit beforehand.

Dalton's Recap: http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivo...ites-premiere/

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm getting no buzz from this group of players. Even the "favorites" are a rather boring bunch. Maybe I'm just bored with the game. By the time they to the immunity challenge, all I could think is, why did they stretch this out to 90 minutes? It's the first episode, so maybe it gets better. I think part of the problem is that I've seen so many seasons, I could tell who's going to go based how how much screen time certain survivors get. Francesca got a LOT of screen time early, and it getting it. So by the time they go to the IC, I knew that if the Favs lost, she was going.

And, I really have to stop watching the coming attractions. They REALLY have started giving away WAY too much information.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
InterMurph

The "cool kids table" alliance is doomed to fail as all others of its kind have.

Francesca is the worst Survivor ever.

I think the bald guy with glasses could win.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I took it all with a matter of "it's the first episode". Little to go on at first, though I did like a couple of the fans - the guy with glasses and one of the women, and Malcolm losing his shorts was fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
lalouque
Quilter-Cat Slave

I sure hope Francesca picked a tasty rock. Because right after they showed that statement, it was obvious she'd go first.

Last edited by lalouque : 02-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.
lalouque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
laria
Librocubicularist

Hooking up on the first night... man these people are not very good fans of the game!

Poor Cochran and his sunburn... his feet looked like giant hobbit feet!

The Marine is already on my nerves... and he seems like he's let himself go. It must have been a while since he was a Marine!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Having watched every season, it is clear that the first thing you want to do when you get there is blend in. Don't talk too much, and don't be a loner. Don't be on anyone's radar.

Francesca helped her team win the challenge by pulling the other team over to the pole. The girl has strength, which is desperately needed in the early days of the game.
But she couldn't stop talking, and working on multiple alliances at the same time.

On the fans, I thought Shamar was a doosh. In survival (I know, but listen) there are the 'rules of 3': 3 minutes without breathing, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.

Build your shelter first, then work on the fire to boil water. Or even split the teams up to do both at the same time.

But when Shamar suggested fire and no one ran to him, he sat down and pouted, refusing to help with anything.

His strength will probably keep him in the game for awhile, but I am looking forward to the day he gets the boot.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
InterMurph

I agree on Shamar. He's a Survivor archetype; in everybody's face, telling them they are wrong and he is right, and pouting when nobody joins his cause. These people rarely get far in the game.

Shamar's apparent strength will help him last longer, but he clearly doesn't have the thoughtfulness needed to win this game.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
latrobe7
Just one more thing

I also think the "cool kids" are doomed, but if they somehow manage to run the tribe for a while (like Pete and Abi did) they will be unwatchably obnoxious.

Francesca just wasn't good at Survivor.
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
IFrancesca got a LOT of screen time early, and it getting it. So by the time they go to the IC, I knew that if the Favs lost, she was going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalouque View Post
I sure hope Francesca picked a tasty rock. Because right after they showed that statement, it was obvious she'd go first.
The group I watched with last night made those same observations.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Having watched every season, it is clear that the first thing you want to do when you get there is blend in. Don't talk too much, and don't be a loner. Don't be on anyone's radar.

Francesca helped her team win the challenge by pulling the other team over to the pole. The girl has strength, which is desperately needed in the early days of the game.
But she couldn't stop talking, and working on multiple alliances at the same time.

On the fans, I thought Shamar was a doosh. In survival (I know, but listen) there are the 'rules of 3': 3 minutes without breathing, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.

Build your shelter first, then work on the fire to boil water. Or even split the teams up to do both at the same time.

But when Shamar suggested fire and no one ran to him, he sat down and pouted, refusing to help with anything.

His strength will probably keep him in the game for awhile, but I am looking forward to the day he gets the boot.
That's what I didn't get. So if he wanted fire so badly, why not simply say "Hey, you guys work on the shelter and I will work on building the fire".

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
InterMurph

Because he's a Marine, and as he explained, Marines don't simply summon fire when fire is needed.

Instead, a Marine allows others (non-Marines) to attempt to summon fire, and a Marine mocks them while they fail.

Then a Marine swoops in and saves the day.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
BradJW

90 minutes was a long first episode. It usually takes me a month or two to really get into a season of survivor.

Would sure suck to be Francesca.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
InterMurph

It would suck to be as bad at Survivor as Francesca is.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #15
remington24601

Would be interesting to have a season that brings back the ones voted off first. Maybe going up against a team of folks who lost in the final vote.
remington24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
InterMurph

I have always dreamed of a first-voted-off season. But I think this is as good as we are going to get.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
I have always dreamed of a first-voted-off season. But I think this is as good as we are going to get.
Or at least a team of those who didn't make it to the jury.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #18
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I was really glad they did a 90-minute episode to start the season. It allowed them to show more of the time back at camp and therefore get to know the players better.

Francesca really has no social awareness. She seemed shocked when someone told her that Philip's alliance claimed to have the numbers. As a "first out" she really had no business being brought back as a "favorite," so I'm glad to see her go.

That structure they built for the IC was pretty impressive. Wonder how long that took to construct.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #19
CatScratchFever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Francesca really has no social awareness. She seemed shocked when someone told her that Philip's alliance claimed to have the numbers. As a "first out" she really had no business being brought back as a "favorite," so I'm glad to see her go.
When I saw that I was thinking how could she be a fan favorite - I figured she was brought back to give the secret agent something to fret about.
CatScratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #20
stellie93

Lots of times the one voted off first is really obviously a loser. Francesca seemed really nice and smart and funny. Just can't keep her mouth shut, tho. Funny how bossy people can't stop being bossy, and talkers can't shut up. Even if they're first confessional is how they're going to be quiet and float under the radar.

I picked Shamar for my MVP in the fantasy game. Luckily you can change it one time after week 1. Still he might shape up and do ok--especially since I gave up on him.

You'd think someone with skin like Cochran would know to stay out of the sun. Wasn't it hot where he was last time?

I loved when Malcolm patted Cochran on the shoulder after he mention Rob using that as a signal to vote someone out.

One of the "cool kids" even said that they weren't going to hang out too much to stay on the down low. I guess they weren't as bad as the snugglers.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #21
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Malcolm patting Cochran's shoulder was really funny.

I always lose track of timing with these things. Am I correct in assuming that those in this season had seen nothing of Malcolm from last season when they were filming? That's the way it seemed, and I think the timing for that would be right.
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
You'd think someone with skin like Cochran would know to stay out of the sun. Wasn't it hot where he was last time?
Since sunburn has never been an issue before, I've always assumed that the survivors had access to sunscreen. If so, Cochran is very stupid for not using it. If not, I have no idea how this hasn't been a problem before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post

I always lose track of timing with these things. Am I correct in assuming that those in this season had seen nothing of Malcolm from last season when they were filming? That's the way it seemed, and I think the timing for that would be right.
Correct. This season was filmed last summer, only a few weeks after they finished filming Survivor: Philippines. None of the fans or returning favorites would have a y idea who he is. Also, this season is in roughly the same location as Philippines, but they had to come up with another name.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM   #23
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLucPicard View Post
Malcolm patting Cochran's shoulder was really funny...
I was surprised that Cochran didn't freak out. That was my favorite part of the episode.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I was surprised that Cochran didn't freak out.
Me too, with the sunburn I figured that might have hurt like hell.

meh
Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Me too, with the sunburn I figured that might have hurt like hell.
I meant, Malcolm touching him on the shoulder after Cochran told the story about Brob touching the person on the shoulder who he wanted voted out!

BTW...my actual favorite moment was when one of the "fans" yelled out: THE ICE CREAM SCOOPER!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by remington24601 View Post
Would be interesting to have a season that brings back the ones voted off first. Maybe going up against a team of folks who lost in the final vote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterMurph View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Or at least a team of those who didn't make it to the jury.
The problem with the first ones voted out is that they either had little to offer and shouldn't be out there in the first place, or they were obnoxious and/or failed miserably in the challenge and became the scapegoat. Either way, 16-20 of those contestants would not make for enjoyable television.

Going out first when you have been there before must suck. Going out first TWICE is utterly humiliating. Wow.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #27
Doggie Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
Going out first when you have been there before must suck. Going out first TWICE is utterly humiliating. Wow.
Spoiler:
That makes her the anti-Sandra Diaz-Twine, no?

Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

You are spot on right...but I don't think you need to spoiler that comment Doggie...Winners from prior seasons, especially from years ago, are fair game.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #29
laria
Librocubicularist

Apparently Malcolm had enough time to fatten back up a little bit after his first season.

I remember Erik being such a dork his first time around. He sounds so grown up now. Still with that terrible 70's hair, though!
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #30
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
I remember Erik being such a dork his first time around. He sounds so grown up now. Still with that terrible 70's hair, though!
Heh, how many of us guys would have hair like that, if only we could...

meh