TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
caslu

Elementary - Pilot - 9/27/12

Well, as a huge fan of the BBC's 'Sherlock' all I can say is... not bad, not bad at all. I enjoyed it and will keep my SP... although I wish CBS would learn that not every concept needs to be a procedural.
caslu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
john4200

It didn't suck. But I'm unsure how well Watson as a woman is going to work. I didn't like the couple times Sherlock showed concern for her feelings -- that is too big a change from traditional Sherlock. If Watson was right about Sherlock's recent London problem being about a girl, I hope it was Irene Adler and just a one-time thing. If Sherlock starts having any sort of romantic relationships with other women (or Watson), then I'm probably going to lose interest in this show.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Peter000

I liked it a lot. Though I wasn't expecting to, so I was wondering if my low expectations had something to do with it. I'm glad to see (here and elsewhere) that others liked it too.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
markp99
TakoKichi

Didn't suck. That's all I need.

It's queued-up on the Tivo, have not watched yet.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Lori
Social Defective

I thought that it was a pretty strong pilot.

And I don't usually think much of pilots. I hated the pilots for The Mentalist and for Castle, for example.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
classicsat
Astute User

I don't hate it. I see it a mashup of House and Monk, more towards Monk. I think I'll watch for a while to see how it goes.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
classicX
Don't scream.

I enjoyed it.

I also happen to think that Lucy Liu has one of the sexiest voices - in my top 10 for sure.

I never watched the BBC version of Sherlock, and never really read the books. I enjoy the movies, and I enjoyed this pilot.
classicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
secondclaw

Wasn't that impressed - though I think it was mostly due to not being able to catch all of Miller's rapid-fire speech. And it does smack too much of a mash up of Monk, Perception, and Mentalist ... these shows with police 'consultants' are getting too formulaic. Though I did think the same of Perception, but ended up liking it.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I had trouble with the speech too. It was way too fast and too low of a volume for me to catch all of it.

I like how Watson was able to add her own observations into the story - like when she spotted the size 11 sneaker box and directed his eyes over to it.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
I like how Watson was able to add her own observations into the story - like when she spotted the size 11 sneaker box and directed his eyes over to it.
He saw it already, of course. She was just letting him know that she saw it, too.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
nyny523
Oy

I liked it!

I love Johnny Lee Miller - so happy to see him in a show where he can use his own accent.

I really was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Definitely a pleasant surprise.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #12
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Argh! I missed the Elementary pilot but TiVo guide said it was rerunning tonight at 9pm. However what actually was recorded was a Hawaii 5-0 rerun.

That's the second time in less than a week that the TiVo guide has had the wrong show on a major network (the other one was one of the new sitcom pilots, which ended up being a rerun of Go On).
Old 09-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #13
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
Argh! I missed the Elementary pilot but TiVo guide said it was rerunning tonight at 9pm. However what actually was recorded was a Hawaii 5-0 rerun.

That's the second time in less than a week that the TiVo guide has had the wrong show on a major network (the other one was one of the new sitcom pilots, which ended up being a rerun of Go On).
iTunes has the pilot available for free.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

I know a lot of people who are going to refuse to like it for what it is because of the perception of a rivalry with the excellent Cumberbatch/Freeman BBC show with a similar premise. But I was happy to see that it really doesn't read as a remake of that, it is quite distinct in tone and style. Definitely worth watching.

I also feel it's kind of funny to see the whole "police need an outside consultant" thing, which has been done to death lately (very few cop shows without one at the moment -- Rizzoli & Isles, maybe?), depicted in a way that makes us all remember that Doyle was doing that a century ago. But in spite of having to say to myself "but that's how it was!" it did indeed smack of Monk and the Mentalist and a few others.

I gotta say, though, that was an incredibly elaborate murder scheme. Convincing your wife to get wholly unnecessary plastic surgery just to set up a murder a few years later? If you can manage something like that, it hardly seems you'd need the rest.

While we can imagine that Holmes was lying to Watson a few times about whether she was really contributing (e.g., the bit about starting a fight with the former victim where he changed his tune, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a lie), I think we have to conclude that Watson was genuinely the one to recognize the rice anomaly.

They definitely toned down the signature Holmes "I can tell you ten things about yourself I can't possibly know" aspect. Probably a good thing, it helps make this one somewhat distinctive. Not that he couldn't do it; the story just didn't need to make it such a burst-of-stuff, and played it out gradually.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

It didn't suck, and I'll watch a few more, but I didn't like it as much as the BBC Sherlock. Unfortunately, I'm not a tv critic and can't really explain why.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
I love Johnny Lee Miller - so happy to see him in a show where he can use his own accent.
I had to google him, did not know he was using his own accent.

Too many Brits playing Americans, and too many American playing Brits, can't keep track of who is who.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #17
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
I had to google him, did not know he was using his own accent.

Too many Brits playing Americans, and too many American playing Brits, can't keep track of who is who.

phox
I have seen him in movies where he has gotten to use his own accent.

The last TV series he was in (Eli Stone - which I really enjoyed), he used an American accent.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
vertigo235

Quote:

I have seen him in movies where he has gotten to use his own accent.

The last TV series he was in (Eli Stone - which I really enjoyed), he used an American accent.
The last series he was on was actually Dexter, he did an American accent on that too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
The last series he was on was actually Dexter, he did an American accent on that too.
You are right! I forgot about that one - and I am a huge Dexter fan!

Eli Stone was the last series where he was the lead character.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #20
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Those are what stuck in my mind, along with Hackers.
Can't recall seeing him anywhere else.

I had no idea he was British.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
vertigo235

We were watching last night and I commented to my wife about how I thought he was a great actor and his British accent was really good.

Then I wondered if he was actually British, and of course he is.

vertigo235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #22
nyny523
Oy

He is in one of my favorite Jane Austin movie treatments for Mansfield Park, and in the most recent PBS version of Jane Austin's Emma.

SO good.

He has done a bunch of other period stuff, too, I believe...
Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #23
Cainebj

Quote:
I liked it!
I really was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Definitely a pleasant surprise.
me too.
and I have always like Miller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rocket View Post
It didn't suck, and I'll watch a few more, but I didn't like it as much as the BBC Sherlock.
I actually liked it better than the BBC Sherlock. I dunno the BBC series seems too eccentric and pretentious - like they are going to Dr. Who crazy meets Sherlock Holmes.
I tried to watch it and kept losing interest.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #24
ElJay

I couldn't stop comparing it to the BBC's show and I found it rather disappointing in that regard. I don't plan on watching another episode. If it wasn't on CBS I maybe would've been a little bit more patient with it, but their "mystery of the week" formula generally isn't worth the time.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter000 View Post
iTunes has the pilot available for free.
I don't have an iTunes account or any Apple hardware. However I was able to find it on CBS.com. The rest of the family didn't seem that interested anyway so I guess it doesn't matter
Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #26
ADG
Allan

I liked it. One thing I found astounding is that Lucy Liu knew little or nothing about Sherlock Holmes before being offered the role.

ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #27
philw1776

Big LL fan but wife thought it sucked 10 minutes in and I thought meh trying to be too disfunctionally cute.
Stopped watching.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #28
eddyj

Just watched it with the wife, and we liked it well enough to keep watching for now. I am amazed that Ninny liked it, though, with him predicting the Mets would lose.

eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #29
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rocket View Post
It didn't suck, and I'll watch a few more, but I didn't like it as much as the BBC Sherlock. Unfortunately, I'm not a tv critic and can't really explain why.
It would be fun to hear and talk about what you didn't like, if you could explain, but you don't have to justify what you like and didn't like. What you like (or not) is what you like (or not).

There are many, many reasons to like the BBC Sherlock which Elementary doesn't have. However, IMO, it's not always productive to look at things purely from a deficiency standpoint -- if you focus too much on what something doesn't do or doesn't have, you miss what the show is actually doing. So while I'm watching the shows, I try to turn off that part of my brain that would sit and compare the two shows, and just appreciate each show for what it does.

Edited to add: I'm with eddy -- I liked it well enough to keep watching for now.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
SeanC
ECT

I liked it very much, so for me there is not a hint of a question, SP stays.

I'm curious though, the dymanic they've setup for Sherlock and Watson, that he is a recovering drug addict and Sherlock's father hired Watson to look after him, is there anything remotely like that in the original Sherlock?

It's not a problem for me one way or the other, I've just never read any of the original Sherlock, but I do vaguely seem to remember something about opium addiction and Sherlock.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote