TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #31
waynomo
My One Time

What TiVo needs to do is figure out a way that we can watch multiple shows on a TV at the same time and still have it be a meaningful experience. Too much to watch!

There are times when I think we would be better off with going back to the pre-vcr days. If you missed a show, oh well, that's life. TiVo has definitely increased the time in front of the TV trying to, wanting to, and usually succeeding in eventually watching every episode of a TV show. I mean did I really need to watch every episode of Ugly Betty or Desperate Housewives? (Scrubs was a definite yes!)
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #32
MikeMar
Go Pats

I like being behind, never really have the "uhh nothing to watch tonight"

We just started season 3 of Community

we watch So you think you can dance, but fast forward through everything BUT the dancing. Pretty quick watching that way at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #33
BradJW

I haven't been behind like this before, but I realize my TV viewing is gonna be cut way short starting really soon.

My plan is to buy another really large hard drive and simply start archiving more shows. And in the summer, I'll be playing catch-up quite a bit.

I'll have to prioritize more. Great shows I'll watch asap. The only reality TV I watch is Survivor and that'll be same day viewing. But lots of stuff is gonna get behind.

I'm just gonna have to learn to deal.
BradJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #34
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Well, if I hadn't've had a S3 Tivo drive that died (drive + Tivo itself died), I think I'd have shows that old too.. Actually, I think I have some older than that on my S1..

But I actually DO go back and watch things that old sometimes. I know I have at least most of S2 of Shark (yikes, 2007-2008 season) on my S1..
There was an S2 of Shark? I thought it got canceled before the end of S1. Either way, why would you save old episodes of a pointless procedural show like that?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #35
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Yeah it's not a space issue. I have tons of space and yeah I can always download. It's a time problem. I apparently do stuff other than TV although for the life of me I do not know what. I have no life!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #36
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Yeah it's not a space issue. I have tons of space and yeah I can always download. It's a time problem. I apparently do stuff other than TV although for the life of me I do not know what. I have no life!
I think it involves shoes. or boots. or booties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #37
tonestert

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
It's a time problem. I apparently do stuff other than TV although for the life of me I do not know what. I have no life!
Ha I feel the same way and it seems like I'll never catch up. I have around 275 unwatched shows including a few movies and a few concerts and I'm now at 75% used on my 2TB drive. I still have shows from last fall to watch.
tonestert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #38
Bob_Newhart
My Custom User Title

I still have the first dozen or so "Lost" episodes on one of my Tivos. I watched the first couple of eps years ago and stopped for a while and before I knew it there was a crapload of them and I didn't feel like sitting thru multiple eps. I should probably delete them.
Bob_Newhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #39
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Newhart View Post
I still have the first dozen or so "Lost" episodes on one of my Tivos. I watched the first couple of eps years ago and stopped for a while and before I knew it there was a crapload of them and I didn't feel like sitting thru multiple eps. I should probably delete them.
I have the last 4 eps of Lost on my 1 GB HD attached to my HR21. Even though I have the DVD for the whole series, I can't bring myself to delete it
Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #40
Howie
Out of Pocket

I have 8 DVR tuners available at any one time, so I pretty much record everything. It's just too much pressure. I have 20 something episodes of Grimm and the same amount of Once Upon a Times, 14 Strike Backs, 15 Bosses, 14 2.5 Mens, 13 Leverages, 10 Touches, 19 Damages, 12 The Firms and 22 Ringers. I won't even attempt to list how many shows I have recorded that I've managed to keep under 10 episodes. Which ones should I axe? I need help, please!
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #41
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I have 8 DVR tuners available at any one time, so I pretty much record everything. It's just too much pressure. I have 20 something episodes of Grimm and the same amount of Once Upon a Times, 14 Strike Backs, 15 Bosses, 14 2.5 Mens, 13 Leverages, 10 Touches, 19 Damages, 12 The Firms and 22 Ringers. I won't even attempt to list how many shows I have recorded that I've managed to keep under 10 episodes. Which ones should I axe? I need help, please!
Of those you listed, it looks like you never watched any episodes of The Firm or Ringer. They're both now canceled. So those seem like an easy place to start.

Of the shows you listed, the only ones I watch are Once, Strike Back, and 2.5 Men. I'd say dump all the others, but I really know nothing about them.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #42
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
There are times when I think we would be better off with going back to the pre-vcr days. If you missed a show, oh well, that's life.
No thank you. One, I do NOT watch live TV. Up until I retired last February I would be in bed no later than 7 PM, as I would get up at 2:30 AM to get ready for work. If it wasn't for Tivo or Apple TV, I would never watch TV. Now that I'm retired I have time to watch more TV, and debating getting another Tivo to resolve conflicts.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #43
Church AV Guy

Howie, I really liked (guilty pleasure) Ringer. If I could go back, I would record and save them all on DVD. In my opinion, check you mind at the door and enjoy the ride. It wasn't the only ting on your list that I watch, but I just wanted to say...

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #44
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Howie, I really liked (guilty pleasure) Ringer. If I could go back, I would record and save them all on DVD. In my opinion, check you mind at the door and enjoy the ride. It wasn't the only ting on your list that I watch, but I just wanted to say...
+1. I really liked Ringer and was sorry it didn't come back. But I think they did a good job wrapping up the season.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #45
newsposter
Poster of News

if you have all eps of the firm at least watch them..there's somewhat a plot there. and it's nice to see some of the twists. also some people think the BSG girl is hot but she' not my type..still some will watch becasue of that

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #46
markz
Hilarity Ensues

We were totally caught up with our backlog by Sunday afternoon last weekend. Then we had the new Sunday shows. Plus my wife left for a conference on Wednesday and won't be back will Saturday, so we are behind again.

I will be up-to-date on the shows I watch without my wife, which will only leave the stuff we watch together.

The only thing I am behind on at all was Breaking Bad. I just started watching a few weeks ago and am only up to episode 8. I set it aside to start/finish the first season of Homeland before the second season started.

markz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #47
allan
I survived the Mayan

Usually, I watch new shows the night they air. I watched Monday's Revolution yesterday evening. I've also got several otherwise decent shows that will probably vanish before I can watch them. It will be awhile before I retire, but it's quite possible that getting to watch my TV shows will be my reason when I do.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #48
Sadara
huh?

For the moment, I am having a space issue. We are making sure we are keeping up on the returning shows and when we can catching up on The Voice. But, we are not watching most of the new shows. The only new one we started watching was Revolution. Otherwise, we wait to see if they are going to get canned or not. We just recently started watching Grimm, but we are very glad we didn't start watching it right away, if it had been cancelled we'd have been annoyed!

I may go through and delete all the episodes of Pawn Stars that are on my TiVo!
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #49
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I still haven't watched an episode of Dexter season 6 and season 7 just started. I really like that show. I don't know how I've let season 6 just sit there so long.

My DVR has filled up as well with shows. I'm pretty sure my DVR was empty within the last 2 months. (I deleted Dexter off my DVR a couple months ago and just downloaded the shows off usenet.)
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #50
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

I only have a cable DVR so I can only hold about 20 hours of HD programming. If I got as behind as some of you are I would never, ever catch up. I figure I watch about 3 to 4 hours worth of TV a night (which only takes 2 or 3 hours when cutting commercials) and then only 5 or 6 days of the week.

I am fairly strict about what I record. Right now I am at the point where I can't afford to add any more new shows or else I would never catch up.

In fact, I would almost say that I appreciate the discipline that the smaller capacity DVR forces upon me.

Last edited by Maui : 10-04-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #51
debtoine
WTTWDC

We're really behind too. I keep hoping that some of what we recorded will get canceled so we can just delete what's on the Tivo.

deb

debtoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #52
sean67854
Why?

I've decided that I'm not going to worry about watching everything and just picked a few things to specifically not watch on the assumption i'll be able to pick them up during a slow time either on netflix or Amazon VOD. Currently on my list:

Person of Interest
Once Upon a Time
Vampire Diaries
Touch
Dexter
Homeland
Strikeback (these 3 are primarily because we don't subscribe to any premium channels)

Xbox gamertag sean67854

sean67854 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #53
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I still haven't watched an episode of Dexter season 6 and season 7 just started. I really like that show. I don't know how I've let season 6 just sit there so long.

My DVR has filled up as well with shows. I'm pretty sure my DVR was empty within the last 2 months. (I deleted Dexter off my DVR a couple months ago and just downloaded the shows off usenet.)
Season 6 sucked. You should just skip it. There was a very thorough "Previously On" segment before the beginning of S7E1 that summarized all of S6. I'd recommend just skipping 6 and starting with 7.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #54
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Season 6 sucked. You should just skip it. There was a very thorough "Previously On" segment before the beginning of S7E1 that summarized all of S6. I'd recommend just skipping 6 and starting with 7.
Sadly I agree
Old 10-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #55
newsposter
Poster of News

touch is soooo annoying until the last ep....super slow and the plot becomes trite everyweek.

but if you want a feel good warm and fuzzy show, this is it

complicating things is never hearing the phrase 'set up a hard perimeter' which is one reason i really dont wanna watch it again. but i probly will

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #56
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

I have a new XL4 so I have 4 tuners and 300 hrs of capacity. I am behind on my shows as I went to Disney this past weekend and returned Monday. Now I have my friend's wedding coming up this weekend. I am not too worried yet as I think I have enough space to float things. Shows like HIMYM, Survivor, etc. I watch usually night of, if not quickly after. Other shows like the Voice I will wait until whenever to watch and then NCIS is just building up. Again like I said hopefully space is not an issue as when it comes the time between Fall and Spring I will still have new shows to watch.

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #57
Church AV Guy

I almost always make it a point not to let things pile up too much if I can avoid it. So, what I normally would do is watch them in the order that they were recorded, not let any one show get archived long-term. There ARE exceptions, like having several shows I am behind this week, BUT still watching Supernatural live (almost). there are priorities after all.

This year has several shows that I am watching in a probationary manner, but so far, none of them seems like "must watch" material. The are all just okay, none have really grabbed me. I will likely drop a few of them pretty quickly.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #58
MikeMar
Go Pats

So many series shows we get way behind, and some we only watch

True Blood, Dexter, and shows like this we watch in a week

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #59
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I'm pretty sure my DVR was empty within the last 2 months.
My TiVo hasn't been 100% empty since 2005. I even took a picture, because that was the first time it WAS EVER empty since we started with TiVo in 2001. Now we have three TiVos...though the third one is pretty much kid stuff only (repeats of things on the downstairs tv) so technically we could delete all that).

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #60
mattack

Argh, deleted my premiere of Vegas to make space (I still am not quite sure if I'm going to have shows nuked by the time I get home), and canceled Last Resort SP due to no tuners.. and manually cancelled Person of Interest recording since it was going to be clipped..

OK, even though I'm purposely trying to limit shows, I need more tuners just to get the _old_ shows I want, plus a very few new shows (Revolution, Go On, seems like there might be ONE other sitcom I 'got into', but I think I'm going to stop the other Monday one with the brother moving in with his sister & niece.) Weird, seems like I'm watching fewer shows total, but they're stacking up quicker (and I'm not noticeably watching less amount of TV)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote