Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #301
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
since you mentioned politics ill say i hate politics, think they / it's are/is stupid, yet this show fascinated me. maybe because i know nothing about politics i cannot believe this kind of #### happens but i guess it does.

pure fascination to me
You should watch House of Cards then. This shows the underhanded wheeling and dealing of politics far better than WW ever did.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #302
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I never watched it first time around because I thought it was a politic show more than the character show that it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #303
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
LOL, well As much as I like Donna, I always dare to be different, so I've always had a "thing" for Rachel...LOL
rachel is the girl next door you wanna hang with and maybe marry someday

donna is the girl you want going to vegas with you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #304
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
You should watch House of Cards then. This shows the underhanded wheeling and dealing of politics far better than WW ever did.
never heard of it..i dont want any new shows either but dang..maybe i should take a peek.

!

Old 08-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #305
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
I didn't realize Sorkin left the show at some point.

generally comment not directed at you:

i'm really glad i dont know / am not aware of, the depth or background of these shows. i just prefer to enjoy a show for what it is on tv. period. unless i see something on TCF, i wouldnt be aware of any back office politics, writers, etc etc and something tells me i'm better off. to have to worry about stuff you wrote in the rest of your post would drive me crazy(ier)!

!

Old 08-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #306
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
rachel is the girl next door you wanna hang with and maybe marry someday

donna is the girl you want going to vegas with you
I'm definitely more attracted to a girl next door type

Not that I wouldn't do a one night stand in Vegas with Donna
Old 08-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #307
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
never heard of it..i dont want any new shows either but dang..maybe i should take a peek.
It's a Netflix original series. 13 episodes were made available earlier this year, and then there will be another 13 next year. So if you have Netflix and want to watch, it should be pretty easy to catch up. It stars Kevin Spacey, who does an amazing job.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #308
nyny523
Oy

Quote:

i'm really glad i dont know / am not aware of, the depth or background of these shows. i just prefer to enjoy a show for what it is on tv. period. unless i see something on TCF, i wouldnt be aware of any back office politics, writers, etc etc and something tells me i'm better off. to have to worry about stuff you wrote in the rest of your post would drive me crazy(ier)!
Except that it is SO obvious due to the quality of the writing. When you start season 6, you wonder if you are watching the same show.

I don't think that being aware of who writes a show and/or who is the creative force behind a show is going "in depth". These people are as or MORE important than the actors. Without them, the actors would have nothing to work with. Actors just don't become characters and create stories. Someone GIVES them these things. These are the true creative forces behind a show, a movie, a play, a book. I cannot an will not discount them in my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of any of these things. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they do not have a tremendous input into your entertainment.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #309
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

I'm like that with most shows and most times I'm unaware of who's even behind the show. But there are certain people that pique my interest in a show. I will generally give anything done by JJ Abrams a shot, big fan of Fringe and Lost and Alias. And I'll give most Sorkin shows a shot too (I don't recall what was on opposite West Wing during it's initial run, but it was mostly on pre-DVR and I remember there were a couple of other shows I was already involved in, so I didn't watch it). But with watching a Sorkin show, there are things I come to expect, which is consistent in all his shows. The character and story lines are always top notch, and the dialog is always written in the same style, no matter which show it is. It's just like if you're going to go see a Tarantino movie, you are usually going to hear lots of cursing and lots of gratuitous violence. If you see a Coen Bros. movie, it's going to have lots of quirky characters. You see a Sorkin TV show, you expect what I described.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #310
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
It's a Netflix original series. 13 episodes were made available earlier this year, and then there will be another 13 next year. So if you have Netflix and want to watch, it should be pretty easy to catch up. It stars Kevin Spacey, who does an amazing job.
Wasn't this based on a British Series? If it's the one I think it is, I saw the British series and it was very good. I might have to watch the American version.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #311
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
Except that it is SO obvious due to the quality of the writing. When you start season 6, you wonder if you are watching the same show.

I don't think that being aware of who writes a show and/or who is the creative force behind a show is going "in depth". These people are as or MORE important than the actors. Without them, the actors would have nothing to work with. Actors just don't become characters and create stories. Someone GIVES them these things. These are the true creative forces behind a show, a movie, a play, a book. I cannot an will not discount them in my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of any of these things. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they do not have a tremendous input into your entertainment.
Totally agree. Most writers on TV are pretty generic, Sorkin has a style, and many of us watch a Sorkin series because it's Sorkin series. I've yet to find one that I didn't like, despite what I described as annoying sometimes. Even my son, who had NEVER seen a Sorkin series but watch The Newsroom with me noticed it immediately. Then we sat and watched Sports Night and he could tell it was the same writer.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #312
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I'm almost caught up. I am down to my final series backlog - I have the entire season of Raising Hope that I'm working through, and am about halfway through. It's such a silly show, but definitely amusing.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM   #313
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Wasn't this based on a British Series? If it's the one I think it is, I saw the British series and it was very good. I might have to watch the American version.
Yes, it's based on a British series from several years ago.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #314
mattack

Quote:
anyone cut out psych and crossing lines and regretted it? i may be heading toward a tvless house and those are 2 off the top of my head that i think i could easily cut
I like crossing lines, but it just ended its first season.. I still have the last 2 eps unwatched, but will watch them this week almost certainly.
mattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #315
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Yes, it's based on a British series from several years ago.
I think within the last year or two this was shown on (I think) BBC America and I enjoyed it, but kind of hard to follow. Is the American version easier to follow?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #316
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post

see my mind just doesnt work like that. remembering seasons and stuff. even for a current show i'm watching i cannot tell you how many seasons it's had (unless it's the 1st then it's obvious). tv is just more a distraction for me.

!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #317
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

I think within the last year or two this was shown on (I think) BBC America and I enjoyed it, but kind of hard to follow. Is the American version easier to follow?
I didn't think it was hard to follow. But I watched all 13 episodes in less than a week.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #318
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
tv is just more a distraction for me.
Please stop this crazy talk now.

astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #319
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Please stop this crazy talk now.

i have to say in the past few weeks, on a weekly basis, ive barely watched a total of a handful of shows. i think if the laptop hard drive fills up, things will be gone. psych will be first. it's amazing how changies in life change things in life and tv is now at the bottom of my list at least in the short term.

i want the fall season to literally stop for me and wait. heck i havent even updated the premiere thread for fear of finding a new show i may like but u guess i better do that soon

!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #320
gweempose

I deleted my entire Person of Interest folder last night. I had every episode from both seasons recorded. With the new fall season about to start, I finally came to the realization that it's just not happening.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #321
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Time to update, as it's been about 10 months since I first posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I'm behind on so many shows I can't even begin to list them all...

The last (entire) seasons of:
Psych
Eureka
Doctor Who
American Pickers
Mythbusters
Pawn Stars

I just deleted Project Runway unseen because we just don't have time.

And I'm about 40-50 eps behind on Ellen.
Eureka. Check.
Ellen. Check.
Doctor Who. Check.
Mythbusters. Check. (Owen loves this show and asks to watch it!)
American Pickers...about three down.

So, I still have Psych and Pawn Stars.

Quote:
Our TiVo Premiere died and took with it a handful of this season's new shows...so I might just say c'est la vie and let them all go (Ben & Kate, 666 Park Avenue, Life After Top Chef, Revolution).
I never went back to find these.

Quote:
As if I wasn't behind enough, I've now added Graham Norton. But I caught up on Ellen.

Now I just have to get hubby to quit watching football so we can get caught up on our "together" shows.
Still have Graham Norton. I love it but just can't find the time since I don't want to watch it when kids are up. I think I've watched two eps that had guests I really wanted to see.

He still watched lots of old football. :|

We managed to get through all current eps of Suits and Burn Notice before he left.

Quote:
Netflix just added a bunch of stuff. So at least it's not on my TiVo...but my instant queue is outrageous.
I've watched Orange is the New Black and Lilyhammer with House of Cards up next.

Quote:
Here's what I have to watch on our main tivo. It does not include stuff my husband has to watch (that I don't).

The Graham Norton ... (33)
The New Normal (5)
Go On (3)
American Pickers (38)
Rachael vs. Guy Ce ... (9)
Symon's Suppers (7)
Modern Family (2)
The Science of Doctor ...
Elementary (11)
Doctor Who in the U.S ...
MythBusters (31)
Challenge (16)
Futurama (16)
Pawn Stars (25)
Eureka (12)
Doctor Who (4)
Chopped Champions (3)

The bedroom tivo has:

The Joe Schmo Show (4)
Top Chef: Seattle (4)
Happy Endings (6)
Cook's Country Fro ... (3)
The Next Iron Chef ... (5)

And our third tivo just died, so I lost about 5 eps of Ellen.
I still have:
The Graham Norton ... (30)
American Pickers (35)
Symon's Suppers (7)
Elementary (11)
Futurama (16)
Pawn Stars (25)

The bedroom TiVo DIED AGAIN so I lost these and only sought out Top Chef (finished) and Happy Endings (yet to watch):

The Joe Schmo Show (4)
Cook's Country Fro ... (3)
The Next Iron Chef ... (5)

I haven't looked at the third TiVo in a few weeks (since hubby left) so I have no idea what's waiting up there.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #322
laria
Librocubicularist

We just watched the last 2 episodes of Defiance and earlier this week I deleted the full season of Hannibal and The Following.

It's official, we are all caught up!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #323
markymark_ctown

Quote:
I didn't realize Sorkin left the show at some point.

I have this love/hate thing with Sorkin. I find his characters fascinating, and the story lines are good, but, his dialog cadences are SO annoying sometimes. And his patterns get so predictable after awhile. He'll make a point about something trivial, then the conversation goes on awhile, and it will end back on that same trivial point, even if it has little to do with how the conversation went. He did this on Sports Night (my first Sorkin show...loved that show), Studio 60 and now The Newsroom. And not one of his characters ever raises or lowers their voices. It's always some marathon speed talking kind of voice that drones on and on. But I always manage to get past it, because of the compelling characters and storylines.
That about sums it up for me too. Loved Sports Night and thought S1 of Headroom was painful despite some good plot lines. You're right about the dialogue though...rapid fire
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #324
gweempose

I enjoy Sorkin's shows, but I do find watching them rather exhausting. It's not the kind of TV where you can just sit back a chill out. The dialogue is often so fast and clever that it requires a tremendous amount of concentration.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #325
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by laria View Post
earlier this week I deleted the full season of Hannibal and The Following.
isnt that cheating?

!

Old 08-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #326
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I enjoy Sorkin's shows, but I do find watching them rather exhausting. It's not the kind of TV where you can just sit back a chill out. The dialogue is often so fast and clever that it requires a tremendous amount of concentration.
For The Newsroom, I'm finding the only way I can keep up is if I have the subtitles up. Otherwise I miss half of what they are saying.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #327
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
isnt that cheating?
Not really... I decided I didn't care about watching them. Why would I watch them if I didn't want to?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #328
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Not really... I decided I didn't care about watching them. Why would I watch them if I didn't want to?
cause you took the time to record them plus sometimes you need trash on while you are paying bills etc. i have crossing lines for that

!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #329
laria
Librocubicularist

I set up season passes for just about everything that is new on broadcast networks every fall/midseason. A lot of them I delete unwatched. I wait for it to shake out and see what gets cancelled and what stays around before I start watching. Sometimes stuff sticks around and gets renewed that I decide I just don't have time for, like these.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #330
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
I set up season passes for just about everything that is new on broadcast networks every fall/midseason. A lot of them I delete unwatched. I wait for it to shake out and see what gets cancelled and what stays around before I start watching. Sometimes stuff sticks around and gets renewed that I decide I just don't have time for, like these.
how big is your drive?

!