TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

The Girlfriend Experience *spoilers*

Am I the only person watching this? I'm not sure why I'm still watching but I'll stick around to the season's end. I had about eight episodes backed up on the TiVo before I finally started watching. Now I'm caught up. I probably would have bailed early on if the episodes were a full hour. My annoyance level remains relatively moderate at a half hour.

I don't know if it's the actress, the character or the director but the main character is extremely lifeless and soulless. Practically dead inside. Rich guys keep falling for her left and right and I can't figure out why. She's like the ultimate wet noodle. There's nothing sexy about her. For $2,000 per hour, I'd prefer my hos with a bit more charisma. If she's providing a "girlfriend experience" then it's time to break up with that girlfriend.

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

I don't think I get the channel that show comes on but I did recognize the name of it because I saw an article about it. Well, it was about the lead actress being Elvis' granddaughter. Sounds like I am not missing much.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #3
dwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Am I the only person watching this? I'm not sure why I'm still watching but I'll stick around to the season's end. I had about eight episodes backed up on the TiVo before I finally started watching. Now I'm caught up. I probably would have bailed early on if the episodes were a full hour. My annoyance level remains relatively moderate at a half hour.

I don't know if it's the actress, the character or the director but the main character is extremely lifeless and soulless. Practically dead inside. Rich guys keep falling for her left and right and I can't figure out why. She's like the ultimate wet noodle. There's nothing sexy about her. For $2,000 per hour, I'd prefer my hos with a bit more charisma. If she's providing a "girlfriend experience" then it's time to break up with that girlfriend.
I watched the whole thing on demand. I liked it, but didn't love it. I thought it was very good and interesting in the beginning but started to lose steam as the season went along.

I mostly agree with you about your description of the main character, but I think that is kind of the point- you almost have to be like that to do what she does.

dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:57 PM   #4
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

What put me off on watching it was the constant promos running over the end of other movies that I was watching on Starz/Encore.

For a long time, promos for GE and Outland were all they were running until I had no desire to watch either show.

(New and improved with TiVo. Again.)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College 1962

10/12 - DirecTV Genie HR34/700
10/14 - TiVo Q
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:10 AM   #5
Sparty99

Quote:

I think that was the point of the character, like she's some sort of sociopath with no real feelings. Not necessarily that it was necessary for the job, just that that's how she is.

What bothered me about this last episode was how they focused on the inane details. Here she is in the cab. Now at customs. Now hotel check-in. Now the elevator. Now dry cleaning. It seemed like half the episode was everyday stuff I don't need to see in a TV show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
nyny523
Oy

I am watching.

My biggest issue is that I can't find a single reason to like this character. Actually, there isn't a single character who is likeable. Just a lot of terrible people. Nothing grey.

I keep hoping something will happen and change my mind. If not, I will likely finish out the season and not return.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
dwells

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
I am watching.

My biggest issue is that I can't find a single reason to like this character. Actually, there isn't a single character who is likeable. Just a lot of terrible people. Nothing grey.

I keep hoping something will happen and change my mind. If not, I will likely finish out the season and not return.
This is not directed at you, but I have I've never understood this as a reason for not liking a show. Maybe I am in the minority, but liking the characters is not an issue for me as far as liking a show. There are plenty of great shows filled with nothing but horrible people. Even if I hated the main character in GFE, if the story is good I will still watch.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
This is not directed at you, but I have I've never understood this as a reason for not liking a show. Maybe I am in the minority, but liking the characters is not an issue for me as far as liking a show. There are plenty of great shows filled with nothing but horrible people. Even if I hated the main character in GFE, if the story is good I will still watch.
A show has to give you something to hang your hat on. In Breaking Bad, Walter White was a bad guy who did bad things but he was interesting and even likable. The lead character in the Girlfriend Experience is thoroughly unlikable, is a complete cipher as far as personality goes and isn't interesting at all. At this point in the show, two episodes left, none of the secondary characters are interesting enough to make up for the main character's or actress' thorough lack of charisma.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
A show has to give you something to hang your hat on. In Breaking Bad, Walter White was a bad guy who did bad things but he was interesting and even likable. The lead character in the Girlfriend Experience is thoroughly unlikable, is a complete cipher as far as personality goes and isn't interesting at all. At this point in the show, two episodes left, none of the secondary characters are interesting enough to make up for the main character's or actress' thorough lack of charisma.
Well said.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
Doggie Bear

Quote:
I view "likeable" in this context as meaning "worth caring about."

One of the reasons that I have the idiosyncratic view that "The Shield" was a better TV show than "The Wire" is that Vic Mackey may have been loathsome and despicable, but he was mesmerizing on screen, whereas I found that I just didn't care about the characters on "The Wire." That doesn't mean Mackey was someone I'd want to emulate or be friends with. But I did want to watch what he was doing, and the genius of "The Shield" is that it made me root for Mackey, even against internal affairs investigators.

Doggie Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggie Bear View Post
I view "likeable" in this context as meaning "worth caring about."

One of the reasons that I have the idiosyncratic view that "The Shield" was a better TV show than "The Wire" is that Vic Mackey may have been loathsome and despicable, but he was mesmerizing on screen, whereas I found that I just didn't care about the characters on "The Wire." That doesn't mean Mackey was someone I'd want to emulate or be friends with. But I did want to watch what he was doing, and the genius of "The Shield" is that it made me root for Mackey, even against internal affairs investigators.
I really, really need to watch The Shield.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #12
dwells

Quote:
Different strokes, I guess. I find the Christine character plenty interesting enough for me. Is she "likable"?? Maybe not, but I still find her story compelling. And I may be in the minority but I do not find her unlikable.

And again, I am not sure what kind of personality people expect out of a character who does what Christine does. I am guessing it is pretty realistic.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #13
Sparty99

Quote:
Different strokes, I guess. I find the Christine character plenty interesting enough for me. Is she "likable"?? Maybe not, but I still find her story compelling. And I may be in the minority but I do not find her unlikable.

And again, I am not sure what kind of personality people expect out of a character who does what Christine does. I am guessing it is pretty realistic.
I'm genuinely curious, what about the character do you find interesting? It seems like a bit of a cliche story...law student becomes call girl, finds obsessed client who tries to ruin her, people in legal industry find out, legal career over (admittedly I haven't seen this most recent episode). I feel like they expand on seemingly mundane, everyday tasks - riding in an elevator, going through customs, making reservations, even going to the bathroom and putting in a tampon - because there really isn't that much to expand on with this character. It just seems like there's so much more to do with this character and they don't appear to be doing anything with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #14
series5orpremier

Quote:
I think it's less realistic and more just what the show creators think a sanctimonious target audience wants to see and believe, even if the show creators are sincerely part of that demographic themselves. I havn't watched any of the episodes because I saw the poor reviews beforehand about the entire bleakness of the show being just more puritanical sex-shaming by the media while hypocritically trying to profit from the subject.

series5orpremier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #15
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

It's the "robot" vibe she is giving off. I don't get why she decided to portray it that way. The other call girls she has met so far were "normal"; as in "human". It just seems strange. Contrast this with the British show (forget the name, staring one of the Doctor Who companions); and it's night and day in terms of the lead acting.

I'll still watch. I've always found those topics fascinating, the nudity is just a bonus.

Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:44 AM   #16
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
It's the "robot" vibe she is giving off. I don't get why she decided to portray it that way. The other call girls she has met so far were "normal"; as in "human". It just seems strange. Contrast this with the British show (forget the name, staring one of the Doctor Who companions); and it's night and day in terms of the lead acting.

I'll still watch. I've always found those topics fascinating, the nudity is just a bonus.
Hadn't even thought of that. Secret Diary of a Call Girl was far more enjoyable and Billy Piper actually had a personality and relationships. Best to stop wasting your time with this show and just watch that.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #17
goblue97
Welcome Home, Jimmy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
I really, really need to watch The Shield.
Yes, you do. I'm jealous that you have all that untapped entertainment yet to enjoy. I would put The Shield in my top five shows of all time.

goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #18
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
Yes, you do. I'm jealous that you have all that untapped entertainment yet to enjoy. I would put The Shield in my top five shows of all time.
I looked for it last night and it isn't on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Boo.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #19
Sparty99

Quote:
You can buy the entire DVD set (it was never filmed in HD so no need for Blu-Ray) for $31. It's worth the investment.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #20
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
It's the "robot" vibe she is giving off. I don't get why she decided to portray it that way...
That seems to be the vibe the director(s) or show runner wanted, which is weird. If I were a high powered, wealthy business executive like the ones in her client base, I'd be highly disappointed if someone so dull, lifeless and robotic showed up. I certainly wouldn't be stalking her or leaving her $500,000 in my will.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #21
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
You can buy the entire DVD set (it was never filmed in HD so no need for Blu-Ray) for $31. It's worth the investment.
Done. Never would have guessed it was that cheap. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #22
goblue97
Welcome Home, Jimmy!

Quote:
It's also available on Crackle if you don't mind a few ads here and there. Maybe watch the first episode to make sure it's for you. You should definitely know after the first episode.

goblue97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #23
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue97 View Post
It's also available on Crackle if you don't mind a few ads here and there. Maybe watch the first episode to make sure it's for you. You should definitely know after the first episode.
Too late to backtrack now. I already bought it!

Old 06-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #24
NickTheGreat
Tivo n00b

I'm watching on Starz, not on demand. I kinda enjoy it, but agree she's not terribly likable.

I'm not 100% sure I'd be watching if everybody kept their clothes on the whole time :

NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:47 AM   #25
cheesesteak
Meh.

I remembered that I had the last two episodes recorded and watched them yesterday with my finger right by the ffwd button. I wouldn't have missed anything if I hadn't watched them. I killed the One Pass.

If Christine was supposed to deliver a "girlfriend experience" to her clients, she was awful at it. Maybe she is a sociopath or maybe the actress is unable to emote anything other than glumness. Whatever the reason, I definitely wouldn't want her as a "girlfriend".