TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-27-2016, 12:12 AM   #1
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Veep, s5e10 "Inauguration"

Wit, did I catch that right? Martin mull's character at the end said they found the ballots and Selena won Nevada, which means she's still the president?!?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:31 AM   #2
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

He did, but his character is nuts and he did call new president Montez "Selina", so we don't know for sure if that info is correct.

But, it's probably how they will turn it around next season, if they are renewed.

I had a feeling that something would happen to Marine One, but I was afraid it was going to crash.

It was funny that prez Montez was also getting the credit for freeing Tibet.

(New and improved with TiVo. Again.)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College 1962

10/12 - DirecTV Genie HR34/700
10/14 - TiVo Q
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:31 AM   #3
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I thought they were going to go with Montez was actually born in Mexico. I do wish they had made Montez a little wittier.

I don't think they really found any ballots, that guy lost his mind. And besides, even if they did, I think it's too late.

Tom complimenting Selina's shoes. Ha.

And funny that Sue is still in the White House.

I thought maybe they would have Selina be Montez's Veep.

And now we know Catherine's documentary didn't really see the light of day.

Not a lot of laughs in this one, but a solid end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:13 AM   #4
cheesesteak
Meh.

I thought it would be revealed that Montez wasn't really an American citizen.

Once someone said that Montez would keep one person from Selina's staff, I knew it would be Sue.

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #5
Cainebj

Was this intended to be a series finale?
Cos' it sure felt like it.
I don't know where they could go from here...

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Was this intended to be a series finale?
Cos' it sure felt like it.
I don't know where they could go from here...
Veep was renewed but it will have a new showrunner. http://deadline.com/2016/04/game-of-...bo-1201741600/

I thought next season will be pretty clear. Montez will prove to have been born in Mexico and impeached/removed as President. There is no VP at the moment, which leads into very murky constitutional waters but for show purposes I would guess Tom James takes over and Selena is back to being a VP.

Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #7
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Veep was renewed but it will have a new showrunner. http://deadline.com/2016/04/game-of-...bo-1201741600/ I thought next season will be pretty clear. Montez will prove to have been born in Mexico and impeached/removed as President. There is no VP at the moment, which leads into very murky constitutional waters but for show purposes I would guess Tom James takes over and Selena is back to being a VP.
The house still gets to vote for president. Despite what they wrote, Montez is only acting president. The house still has the right and duty to select a president. If they don't before she is tossed out, then the speaker (didn't look that up to confirm) becomes acting president.

There is almost no way for James to be president at this point since the house must vote for one of the top three presidential candidates and he is not the speaker.

But since they screwed up the Montez thing, who knows.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.

Selina mumbling "I sure hope I didn't f*** Richard." cracked me up.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
astrohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
Veep was renewed but it will have a new showrunner. http://deadline.com/2016/04/game-of-...bo-1201741600/
The showrunner change was made before this season. And he was responsible for all of this past season.

He will continue next season as showrunner.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
TampaThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
And now we know Catherine's documentary didn't really see the light of day.
Yep, but the "hard drive" from the camera is missing so I'm sure it will come back into play next season.

TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I got the impression that Gary stole the hard drive

Old 06-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #12
Sparty99

Quote:
I thought they were going to go with Montez was actually born in Mexico. I do wish they had made Montez a little wittier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I thought it would be revealed that Montez wasn't really an American citizen.
This is what I thought, and I was actually disappointed they didn't go that route before the season ended. It really did feel like a series finale, as someone said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
The house still gets to vote for president. Despite what they wrote, Montez is only acting president. The house still has the right and duty to select a president. If they don't before she is tossed out, then the speaker (didn't look that up to confirm) becomes acting president.

There is almost no way for James to be president at this point since the house must vote for one of the top three presidential candidates and he is not the speaker.

But since they screwed up the Montez thing, who knows.
There was a small scroll shown during the inauguration (I believe) that the House would not vote again for president. But if they go the route that Montez is not eligible for the presidency, would Selena and O'Brien revert to being the candidates (for that matter, could the House reconsider Selena or O'Brien at any point during the four year term)?

I'm going to miss Peter McNicol's character (I assume he won't be back since he was limited to a New Hampshire election expert). Some of his exchanges where he was pointing out what an idiot Jonah was were the funniest things I've ever seen, and became even funnier when you remembered he was Jonah's dad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #13
TampaThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I got the impression that Gary stole the hard drive
Could very well be and Selina certainly didn't seem concerned that it was missing so probably so.

TampaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #14
cheesesteak
Meh.

The heavyset guy (can't remember his name) recorded Gary's tantrum on his phone. I was surprised that didn't come back up before the episode ended.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:55 AM   #15
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
The heavyset guy (can't remember his name) recorded Gary's tantrum on his phone. I was surprised that didn't come back up before the episode ended.
Mike. The guy with the "3 year old" chinese baby. lol

Old 06-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
astrohip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
I'm going to miss Peter McNicol's character (I assume he won't be back since he was limited to a New Hampshire election expert). Some of his exchanges where he was pointing out what an idiot Jonah was were the funniest things I've ever seen, and became even funnier when you remembered he was Jonah's dad.
I think he's his uncle.

Nonetheless, some of the funniest, sharpest lines in a season full of them.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #17
jjd_87

Info on next season from the showrunner David Mandel

jjd_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #18
Sparty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I think he's his uncle.

Nonetheless, some of the funniest, sharpest lines in a season full of them.
You're right, I had that wrong.

Sparty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #19
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd_87 View Post
Your link is borked...

So it looks like the title of the show is going to be increasingly inappropriate. Which, for a show as inappropriate as this, is entirely appropriate!

One thing I didn't realize is that the original writing staff was entirely British, apparently until this season!

Old 06-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #20
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

"Would Catherine and Marjorie want to get married?"
"I couldn't stand that much acoustic guitar!"
"President Meyer is speaking to an attractive stranger.."
"That is the first daughter"
"Oh, too bad"

Old 06-27-2016, 04:16 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Quote:
There was a small scroll shown during the inauguration (I believe) that the House would not vote again for president. But if they go the route that Montez is not eligible for the presidency, would Selena and O'Brien revert to being the candidates (for that matter, could the House reconsider Selena or O'Brien at any point during the four year term)?
Yes, on one of the screens in the background, there was a graphic that said the Speaker of the House confirmed that there would be no re-vote in the House.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #22
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

For me the funniest line was "I don't want to be known as the only president since FDR to pee sitting down." Or something very close to that.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #23
TonyD79

Quote:
This is what I thought, and I was actually disappointed they didn't go that route before the season ended. It really did feel like a series finale, as someone said. There was a small scroll shown during the inauguration (I believe) that the House would not vote again for president. But if they go the route that Montez is not eligible for the presidency, would Selena and O'Brien revert to being the candidates (for that matter, could the House reconsider Selena or O'Brien at any point during the four year term)? I'm going to miss Peter McNicol's character (I assume he won't be back since he was limited to a New Hampshire election expert). Some of his exchanges where he was pointing out what an idiot Jonah was were the funniest things I've ever seen, and became even funnier when you remembered he was Jonah's dad.
And there is the problem. The house shall, according to the constitution pick the president. Not a one time vote. And there is precedent. It happened before. They don't just vote once and go home. That is what they messed up. They are assuming that it is once and then everything goes from there. But it has happened before. And the house keeps voting until they are done.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #24
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbobo View Post
For me the funniest line was "I don't want to be known as the only president since FDR to pee sitting down." Or something very close to that.
Yes, but then Kevin Dunn's character said something like "I sometimes have to sit down to pee!"

VERY FUNNY SHOW!!!

Gerry

Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #25
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
And there is the problem. The house shall, according to the constitution pick the president. Not a one time vote. And there is precedent. It happened before. They don't just vote once and go home. That is what they messed up. They are assuming that it is once and then everything goes from there. But it has happened before. And the house keeps voting until they are done.
Not to get too political, but the House also has to vote to confirm Supreme Court nominees, but they haven't, so even in real life Congress shirks their constitutional duty. In the show, they should keep voting, I'm not sure there is anything in the Constitution that says that requires a vote within a certain time. I guess Selena could sue the Congress and the Supreme Court could require Congress to hold a vote every week until they break the tie...

- billypritchard
Old 06-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #26
TonyD79

Quote:
Not to get too political, but the House also has to vote to confirm Supreme Court nominees, but they haven't, so even in real life Congress shirks their constitutional duty. In the show, they should keep voting, I'm not sure there is anything in the Constitution that says that requires a vote within a certain time. I guess Selena could sue the Congress and the Supreme Court could require Congress to hold a vote every week until they break the tie...
That is the senate who votes for supreme.

Different case. There is a timing issue in the constitution for president and there is actually no clause that says there has to be 9 justices.

Old 06-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #27
Zevida
witless and unarmed

IANA Constitutional scholar, but the text of the doc says the House has to "vote immediately" and they (essentially) did, but it does not provide any timing for a revote. You could contend the implication is they continue to vote until a tie is broken, but nothing in the Constitution says they must.

I mean, this is a TV show so no reason to get too pedantic, but it doesn't seem like they are that far out of the ballpark with what could happen.

- billypritchard
Old 06-28-2016, 10:56 PM   #28
pdhenry
Actual TiVo Owner

Quote:
I mean, this is a TV show so no reason to get too pedantic
Hi, you must be new here.

I mean, did you ever notice the amount of discussion in the Last Man on Earth threads about the lack of dead bodies everywhere?

pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #29
TonyD79

Quote:
IANA Constitutional scholar, but the text of the doc says the House has to "vote immediately" and they (essentially) did, but it does not provide any timing for a revote. You could contend the implication is they continue to vote until a tie is broken, but nothing in the Constitution says they must. I mean, this is a TV show so no reason to get too pedantic, but it doesn't seem like they are that far out of the ballpark with what could happen.
I give up. Ignore history. It has already happened. Ignore the mentions of timing based upon the inaugural date. Ignore the wording that says acting president. There was ZERO contemplation of a second and more vote. A simple "we are voting once" was a throw away that just would not stand in any reality. That is a flaw in the story that is glaring. No one complained. Try to compare it to the Supreme Court situation all you want but that is a huge point of political contention and while it is unprecedented that there is no hearing right now, it is not unprecedented to have a seat empty for a long period of time.

Still funny as **** and it is still a comedy but that is a huge flaw in the story.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:58 AM   #30
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Hi, you must be new here. I mean, did you ever notice the amount of discussion in the Last Man on Earth threads about the lack of dead bodies everywhere?
Which was eventually addressed in the show.