TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
UpAndDown

Recording Priority

I just got a new Premiere 4 the other day. It replaced a Premiere XL, which I only had for a very short time, that just caused too many issues with programs being on at the same time. I thought the 4 tuners, even with the smaller hard drive, would be the answer to the problem. So I setup all the season passes and thought I was being clever by setting the TiVo to only keep 2 or 3 episodes of most shows and only record new episodes. The reason that I did this is because I had noticed in the past that TiVo gets bad guide information concerning what is a "new" episode of a show. This is especially bad on shows that air on Discovery and MTV it seems, like Deadliest Catch, Jersey Shore and Auction Kings for example. By setting the season pass to record 2 or 3 shows, I figured it would only setup those 2 or 3 episodes in my to-do list and, as long as the new show was the soonest to record, it would not be an issue. Much to my dismay, when I looked at my to-do list a few minutes ago, it still had all of the repeat shows of Jersey Shore, American Chopper, Auction Kings, etc. scheduled to record as they are having full day marathons of these shows and my TiVo wants to record them all it seems. Also, what is the priority for the TiVo as far as these recording are concerned? That is, will it just keep recording the shows as they are broadcast with the 3rd (last kept) show being dropped off and recorded over or will it just record the first 3 and not record any others? Other than setting up a manual day and time recording for all of my shows that have this issue, which is a lot of them, what is my solution? The main draw of TiVo for me was the supposed excellent guide setup which would keep this exact issue from happening. This is the whole reason I decided to dump the cable company DVR in favor of TiVo. If anyone has a solution or an idea, please post back here. All replies are appreciated and than you in advance for all help.
UpAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
WhiskeyTango

If you just use the Keep Until I Delete setting, it will stop recording after it reaches the set number of shows you have designated. Otherwise it will keep recording and just dump the oldest one.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAndDown View Post
The main draw of TiVo for me was the supposed excellent guide setup which would keep this exact issue from happening. This is the whole reason I decided to dump the cable company DVR in favor of TiVo. If anyone has a solution or an idea, please post back here. All replies are appreciated and than you in advance for all help.
If MTV and other channels aren't providing good guide data to begin with, why would a TiVo have better guide data than a cable co DVR?
Old 09-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
UpAndDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
If MTV and other channels aren't providing good guide data to begin with, why would a TiVo have better guide data than a cable co DVR?
It is my understanding that TiVo gets its data information from a better source than Comcast. The name "Tribune Media" comes to mind but I am not positive about that.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
duanew

Quote:
The reason that I did this is because I had noticed in the past that TiVo gets bad guide information concerning what is a "new" episode of a show.
I used to have this problem a while ago but I have not had the problem lately. To solve it I would find out when the new episodes come on and set a manual recording at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
If you just use the Keep Until I Delete setting, it will stop recording after it reaches the set number of shows you have designated. Otherwise it will keep recording and just dump the oldest one.
This is correct.
duanew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
mickpetey

I think I have a similar issue. My to-do list shows a lot of these simular shows American Chopper, Deadliest Catch in the to-do list at odd times. However, my Tivo seems to only record the first airings of these shows.
mickpetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

The guide data is the key, when there is lack of info on the show's episode's original date, it will record all shows, regardless of if you set to record "new episodes only" or "all episodes".

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

I also believe that when you set up a new season pass TiVo will try to get you recent "new" episodes of that season pass assuming you want to watch the series. I've had that happen on my TiVo's before. Perhaps because this is a brand new TiVo it may be assuming all the episodes are new to you.

Just a thought...

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
UpAndDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew View Post
I used to have this problem a while ago but I have not had the problem lately. To solve it I would find out when the new episodes come on and set a manual recording at that time.
I agree that this is an option, however, one of my main reason for buying TiVo was so that I would not have to deal with issues like this.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
UpAndDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Thanks for clarification on that WhiskeyTango. The problem with that is if I have the number of recording set to, say 3 or 4, and there is a marathon on before the new episode, then I will get the old shows and not the new one.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
jrtroo
User

Your best option may be to just upgrade the drive to 2TB and stop limiting the shows. It is well known that these TLC marathons often do not have guide date provided by the network that lets Tivo ignore them as not being new. I never use KUID, it seems to make weird things happen when you keep lots of episodes or become capacity limited.

It is easier, in my opinion, to just delete things rather than actively manage when shows are on. I really have no idea when the new ones run, other than noting them once recorded. Deleting a whole folder of content is quick and easy.

Also, as the tivo gains more history this will become less of an issue. The 28 day rule (part of the tivo logic to help reduce recording shows multiple times) does not yet impact you since you have not had it for 28 days.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
UpAndDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Your best option may be to just upgrade the drive to 2TB and stop limiting the shows. It is well known that these TLC marathons often do not have guide date provided by the network that lets Tivo ignore them as not being new. I never use KUID, it seems to make weird things happen when you keep lots of episodes or become capacity limited.

It is easier, in my opinion, to just delete things rather than actively manage when shows are on. I really have no idea when the new ones run, other than noting them once recorded. Deleting a whole folder of content is quick and easy.

Also, as the tivo gains more history this will become less of an issue. The 28 day rule (part of the tivo logic to help reduce recording shows multiple times) does not yet impact you since you have not had it for 28 days.
You could be right about upgrading the capacity jrtroo. I might have to look into the cost and technical know-how needed to do this upgrade. Where I am still in the trial period, a return and buy the XL4 may make even more sense.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
It is my understanding that TiVo gets its data information from a better source than Comcast.
Some people would think otherwise
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=493833