TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
jilter
Happy to be here.

Louie Season 3

The show is already on EP 4. I can not figure out why I am drawn to this show, but I am. I think it is the lack of shows I like. To me it is like Wilfred....I watch, but I do not know why. Anyone else tuning into Louie?
Wow, television sure is vulgar.

Last edited by jilter : 07-19-2012 at 07:57 PM.
jilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
kcarl75

I like it because there is nothing else like it on tv. Sometimes funny, sometimes uncomfortable, real, surreal, etc. I like Louis CK a lot as a stand up. But the show is something different.

The episode last year with Dane Cook blew me away, as well as the Afghanistan episode.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
fmowry

Episodes have been very strong so far.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Louis CK rules. Yes, he is vulgar at times, but consistently very funny. I wonder if you have to be married and/or a parent to really laugh at a lot of his stuff. And his show is so great because it's not worried about formula. Heck most of the time he's not even that worried about continuity from episode to episode.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
inaka

I love the show. Probably the show I look forward to the most each week.
Even when it misses the mark, it's still more intriguing than any other show on TV for me.

I also love the fact that I don't know this week's episode is going to be more funny, awkward, unnerving, hysterical, vulgar, etc. Makes for an interesting watch each time.

The scene with Louis in the car after his setup date was utterly fantastic. That scene alone was awkward, unnerving, hysterical and vulgar...all in one.
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
KenDC
Huggy Bear

Yes, i love the show. Agreed with what most say. It is different. It is silly and yet very mature at the same time.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

I hated the Miami episode.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
The scene with Louis in the car after his setup date was utterly fantastic. That scene alone was awkward, unnerving, hysterical and vulgar...all in one.
Didn't know if I was suppose to laugh but did it anyway.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
CharlieW
Go to the mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post
I hated the Miami episode.
I liked the first two episodes quite a bit.

I'm a big fan of the show, but I didn't care for the Miami episode either. And not in an "I'm a hetero male so it's supposed to be an uncomfortable episode for me" sort of way. The whole episode was just lagging and not very humorous. It was subtle to the point of even confusing me at first as to why he wanted to stay in Miami for a couple of extra days. I guess in the "having fun with the lifeguard" scenes, I never really felt that Louis was having all that much fun, as much as just going along for the ride. I didn't think it was very well executed. I think it almost needed that explanatory stand-up routine at the end to tie it all together -- and normally this show wouldn't have to rely on that.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
pmyers

Quote:
I love the show. Probably the show I look forward to the most each week.
Even when it misses the mark, it's still more intriguing than any other show on TV for me.

I also love the fact that I don't know this week's episode is going to be more funny, awkward, unnerving, hysterical, vulgar, etc. Makes for an interesting watch each time.

totally agree with your comments from top to bottom.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
sharkster

I'm not sure why I'm drawn to the show either, but I enjoy it. Vulgar, generally speaking, doesn't bother me. There is something endearing about the character, so I guess that's what keeps me wanting to watch. It does feel a bit forced to me in some ways.

I guess I don't really pick apart sitcom-type shows as much as I pick apart other types of shows so my general rule is that if I feel entertained and there are some laughs, I'm in. It's kind of like Bob's Burgers for me - I would say that it is just really bad. But I love it anyway and would be profoundly sad if it went away.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieW View Post
I liked the first two episodes quite a bit.

I'm a big fan of the show, but I didn't care for the Miami episode either. And not in an "I'm a hetero male so it's supposed to be an uncomfortable episode for me" sort of way. The whole episode was just lagging and not very humorous. It was subtle to the point of even confusing me at first as to why he wanted to stay in Miami for a couple of extra days. I guess in the "having fun with the lifeguard" scenes, I never really felt that Louis was having all that much fun, as much as just going along for the ride. I didn't think it was very well executed. I think it almost needed that explanatory stand-up routine at the end to tie it all together -- and normally this show wouldn't have to rely on that.
It was definitely one of the slower episodes of the show, and the payoff wasn't as great, but I still enjoyed it. Based on what we see of Louie's life in NYC, it's pretty bleak and the most fun he ever seems to have is grabbing a beer with fellow comics after a set. So when he hung out with this lifeguard in Miami who seemed to have such a zest for life, and showed Louie a side of Miami he never would have seen otherwise, it struck a chord in Louie and he wanted to experience that a little longer. We knew there was nothing sexual or romantic about his attraction to the lifeguard, but it was funny how when the subject was brought up, he was the typical male and wasn't able to actually articulate his feelings.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
... We knew there was nothing sexual or romantic about his attraction to the lifeguard, but it was funny how when the subject was brought up, he was the typical male and wasn't able to actually articulate his feelings.
I thought the break-up scene in the bar with the lifeguard was awesome. No sentence was completed by either person, yet the communication was clear all the way through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #14
Bob Coxner

One of the best shows on tv. It's a good example of what can happen when an artist has total control of the end product. It can horribly wrong or be fantastic.

Horribly wrong: Dennis Hopper writing/producing/directing/starring in "The Last Movie" while stoned. The Monkees doing the same in "Head".

fantastic: Louis CK. Stanley Kubrick.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
One of the best shows on tv. It's a good example of what can happen when an artist has total control of the end product. It can horribly wrong or be fantastic.

Horribly wrong: Dennis Hopper writing/producing/directing/starring in "The Last Movie" while stoned. The Monkees doing the same in "Head".

fantastic: Louis CK. Stanley Kubrick.
Louis' first sit com series based on his life and comedy routine was probably the WORST thing I've ever seen. But then, Louis did not have total control over that POS. I am so glad for him that the tables have turned for him.

I also have huge respect for his risky venture in selling his own videos of his stand-up act. He financed it personally and put it up on his website for sale for $5 apiece, asking people not to copy it and upload it to the internet. He made over $1m in a week. Now many other comedians are following Louis' lead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Louis' first sit com series based on his life and comedy routine was probably the WORST thing I've ever seen. But then, Louis did not have total control over that POS. I am so glad for him that the tables have turned for him.
If you're talking about Lucky Louie, that show was great! I was sad to see it go. I agree the new show is better, probably because Louis CK has complete control over it. But Lucky Louie was also a lot of fun. I still count one or two scenes in it as among the funniest I've seen in the last 10 years.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #17
inaka

I thought Lucky Louie was one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever seen in any sitcom. The lame jokes were only made worse by the cranked up volume of the live studio audience, making it sound like a 70's sitcom laugh track. Awful show.
inaka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #18
jilter
Happy to be here.

Quote:
I thought Lucky Louie was one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever seen in any sitcom. The lame jokes were only made worse by the cranked up volume of the live studio audience, making it sound like a 70's sitcom laugh track. Awful show.
+100,000,000 I could not believe someone greenlighted that show. I am glad I stuck with CK though. Sometimes he is funny, especially when he shows his gentler self.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I'm not sure why I'm drawn to the show either, but I enjoy it. Vulgar, generally speaking, doesn't bother me. There is something endearing about the character, so I guess that's what keeps me wanting to watch. It does feel a bit forced to me in some ways. [....................]
Exactly. Especially about the "does feel a bit forced to me." I could not put my finger on it, and this says it beautifully.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 AM   #19
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Sorry you all didn't enjoy it; I thought it was great. The bit with Louie and his wife on anal sex, and the bit with Louie's friend in a too-short towel were absolutely hilarious. I've always enjoyed shows, even sitcoms, that aren't all happy jokes and unbelievable situations and Lucky Louie definitely showed a more realistic, blue-collar lifestyle. Louie's relationships with his wife and daughter in particular were very well done.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #20
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I liked the Miami episode. It may not have been funny, but it was still quite entertaining.

For me, so far, this has been a very strong season. The episodes seem much more tightly written.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
jilter
Happy to be here.

I had heard someone on local Chicago talk radio say that the Miami episode was one of the finest half hours of tv ever. I saw it and liked it, but did not think as highly of it.
Last night, however, (S03E05 Daddy's Girlfriend, Part 2) was probably one of my favorite half hours of tv I have seen in a long time. Louie is really hitting his stride. The writing, acting, direction - all top notch.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #22
jilter
Happy to be here.

To underscore the above, here is a review on Television Blend.
Could not agree more!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #23
Bob Coxner

Daddy's Girlfriend was excellent. I've always had a thing for Parker Posey and she did a really great job.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #24
jilter
Happy to be here.

I was not familiar with her, but she lit up the screen to me. I Googled her to see where I would know her from (I do not) and let me tell you -here is a woman who is getting more and more beautiful with age. Great pick on Louie's part!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:44 AM   #25
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Tape Recorder is hot.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #26
fmowry

I just finished the Miami episode yesterday and it was the worst Louie I've seen. Hopefully I'll catch up tonight with the rest.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #27
squigy0
Internet DJ & Dummy

It's chilling how well Parker Posey can play a mentally unstable person. I'm still haunted by "I'd never jump because I'm so happy right now." <sudden change in mood and a vacant glance> Thinking we won't see this character alive much longer. :P
squigy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #28
jilter
Happy to be here.

I guess I was not the only one who thought she was going to jump. But that would be too weird. Even for Louie.

Last edited by jilter : 08-03-2012 at 11:17 AM.
jilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
jilter
Happy to be here.

Barney/Never S03E06 OAD 07/02/2012

Another superb episode. When I spotted Robin Williams at the outset, I knew it was going to be good. There were times you could see several takes were necessary, especially in the coffee shop. J.B Smoove - a bonus, I love his work. Well done L.C.K.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #30
Howie
Out of Pocket

I once saw Robin Williams at a comedy club in San Francisco. He wasn't on the card, but he was just there and walked up on stage. I was so drunk I hardly remember it, but the people that were with me said I enjoyed it tremendously.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote