TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
wrecklass

Actual disk size in XL4?

Something weird with the display on the TiVo XL4 that I noticed. The display on "My Shows" says that my disk is 36% full.

However, third party app shows the total space used by all of the programs currently on the TiVo is 1867 GB (~1.8TB). So how can a 2TB drive be 36% full if it already has 1.8 TB of data on it? What is TiVo reporting when they give the percent full?

Just curious. I keep expecting the meter to suddenly climb to 100% with the next program it records, or to give an error saying it has run out of space unexpectedly.
wrecklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
BigJimOutlaw

It's a 2TB drive. Technically the HDD is always full since deleted shows are still there until the space is needed for new ones. Whatever app it is, it's not accounting for that correctly.

Or maybe you have a lot of Suggestions recorded? In either case, they go away as space for your recordings are needed.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
wrecklass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
It's a 2TB drive. Technically the HDD is always full since deleted shows are still there until the space is needed. Whatever app it is, it's not accounting for that.
No, the App is showing only those programs that are not in the TiVo "Recently Deleted" folder. I've gone through and checked the math several times. The programs definitely add up to 1.8 TB of data. I've also double checked by looking at several programs TiVo "Info" page to see how much space it says those programs are using. They check out with what the app is reporting for each show.

It seems the TiVo meter that shows the percent use is either wrong or they are using an odd algorithm to report this information. I wonder if they are adding up show length in "hours" and using some calculation based on that. I do have a lot of SD shows on my TiVo.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

To be clear, suggestions do NOT impact the FULL meter, deleted does not either. If you have suggestions recorded, they could show up in you app (as noted above) but not impact your % full you see on your tivo.

Also, you are also likely comparing two different estimates of space, which may not have the same measurement basis.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

I imagine the key term here is "third party app". It is probably seeing data written on the sectors (old deleted recordings), and it can't understand what is a current recording and one that is marked to be written over.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
wrecklass

Ok, it is the Suggestions. There are a lot more suggestions on the disk than I had realized, and they are included in the App. So they include that in the "free space" in the meter.

From my applications perspective, Suggestions are no different from regular programs. They can be downloaded, deleted, etc. Just like any other program, so they are taking up disk space, even though TiVo acts as if they are not there.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

As previously mentioned, a tivo drive is always "full" regardless of suggestions or not. It is always being written to. It just treats different contents differently.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
As previously mentioned, a tivo drive is always "full" regardless of suggestions or not. It is always being written to. It just treats different contents differently.
In terms of priority to be kept, (1) Programs you explicitly recorded, or specified with a Wish List or Season Pass, and haven't expired; (2) Like (1), but have expired; (3) Suggestions; (4) Deleted programs. One of the problems with a "disk usage" meter was always what to include, since from the point of view of the file system, the disk is almost always "full".
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
From what I understand, even when you delete a recording it remains on the hard drive. The Tivo just deletes the path to the data.
The data will remain there until it is written over with new data.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
jhilla

Recording Size

Not sure if this will help you, but go under settings, Recordings, change to BASIC 437 hours. This will give you more space for recording and still decent picture. It's just not making sense to record in HD mode and loose all that beloved space. Oh and you can still record Hd shows in this mode btw.
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #11
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilla View Post
Not sure if this will help you, but go under settings, Recordings, change to BASIC 437 hours. This will give you more space for recording and still decent picture. It's just not making sense to record in HD mode and loose all that beloved space. Oh and you can still record Hd shows in this mode btw.
If the channels are digital, that setting makes no difference.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
In terms of priority to be kept, (1) Programs you explicitly recorded, or specified with a Wish List or Season Pass, and haven't expired; (2) Like (1), but have expired; (3) Suggestions; (4) Deleted programs. One of the problems with a "disk usage" meter was always what to include, since from the point of view of the file system, the disk is almost always "full".
I'd actually add one more even lower priority
(5) Scheduled programs in excess of a Keep At Most (KAM) limit.

If you've got a season pass set to keep at most 5, it doesn't matter how many expired, suggestion, or deleted shows the TiVo has. Once it records a 6th episode the oldest is going to be deleted.

(Note: adjusting the recording settings or keep until date for a scheduled or already recorded episode will 'divorce' it from the season pass and it will no longer count towards the KAM limit)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #13
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
If the channels are digital, that setting makes no difference.
And almost all of the cable channels are digital these days, and all of the over-the-air channels are digital. At most, a few local channels in a "basic" cable tier will be analog (and subject to "Recording quality" setting).
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote