TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
ulf.berglund@gma

Poor quality on Live TV, same program perfect if recorded.

It seems that my OTA watching a program delivers really poor quality, the AMP says lost digital input, the screen is scattered and viewing is quite impassible. I rescan the channels and it get a bit better for some time.

What is troublesome is that if I also have recorder the above mentioned TV program, it will play back perfectly, no loss in picture nor audio.

No I am not recording one channel and live view another.

My setup is antenna straight into Roamio and then to TV and AMP.

It does get old to start every tv evening by rescanning the channels.

I do get by with record my anticipated viewings. But I really would like to have perfect sound an pic whenever I watch.
ulf.berglund@gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #2
3stan

"It does get old to start every tv evening by rescanning the channels."

Are you rescanning the Tivo or the TV? Sounds like TV. Tivo cannot pass OTA signals to a TV. You should be able to watch live tv thru any of the 4 tuners not currently recording (press "live tv" on TiVo remote). If you want to use your tv as a 5th, non-recording tuner, put a two-way RF splitter in from the antenna to the TiVo and the TV.

Last edited by 3stan : 10-24-2014 at 09:38 PM.
3stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
ulf.berglund@gma

Hi
I am rescanning the Tivo device. takes a few minutes and sometimes the "live" tv is perfect and some time the "perfect" channels are pix-elated.

Something does not seem right with the Tivo. If a watch a program "live" it is pix-elated. If I watch the same program but recorded it is perfect.
So I am baffled is there different "tuners" involved for recording and live?

And yes I already have a splitter on the antenna signal that goes to another room with a old analog TV with a digital down converter for Live TV in that room.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
3stan

That is odd. The recording and live are the same tuners. The only thing I can think of is something in the tivo circuitry making the record signal slightly stronger then the live, but that maybe normal. We are talking about the 4 tuner roamio, right? I don't have a roamio, but have premiers on cable and a series 3 hd on an indoor antenna that works great. Both models have a feature where you can check each individual tv channel for signal strength for antenna aiming. I would think roamio would have the same feature somewhere in the menus. On mine it's msg. & settings>settings>channels>signal strength-antenna. My tivo has a 0 to 100 range. 0 to 50 I get nothing at all. 51 to 56 it gets pixed with audio drop outs. 57 and up, no problem. It seems like you might be in that very small 51 to 56 range. If you can't find antenna strength on your tivo, it could be you inadvertently set it for cable on initial set up.
Technicolor TC8305C Gateway.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
lpwcomp

It makes even less sense than you think. A TiVo is always recording, even "live" TV is recording the "live" buffer.. In fact, you are never really watching "live" TV. What does it look like if you back up in the live buffer? Or if you save the live buffer by recording the current program and look at it later?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
ulf.berglund@gma

Agree, it is strange and then .......

3Stan even more strange.... When I do the "Signal strength" sometimes the "live" pixelation disappears and the reception is good for the rest of the weekend.

However I think the indoor antenna (a small plastic square that is amped) might not be enough.
I get a signal strength of 30 - 35, the TV tower is quite far Away.
I gather my facts and possibly post "OTA Antenna issue".

I will try to see if rebooting the Roamio, maybe once a week.

lpwcomp your suggestion to watch the recording a few minutes behind the "Live" is actually better quality.
I agree it really does not make a lot of sense.

Thanks for your replies
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
3stan

Another thing you could try is to run the antenna directly to roamio (no splitter). This should give you a 3.5 db gain. If that works, maybe two separate ants would be the best answer.